Muscle Imbalance

Jeremy1994

Awards
I need advice on my muscle imbalance on my right side. Here's the dilemma, I am right hand dominate, but my left is stronger. For example if my bench pressing and I start feeling tired my left side will take over. Same thing if I'm doing a seated barbell shoulder press, my left will feel more tired than my right. So in result for this my right pectoral is lagging much more than my left.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Use dumbbells for everything that you can. That way your left and right have to work equally as hard.

Jeremy1994

Awards
My dad says that he can see my should on my right side raise up.

whitelie

Awards
As said, use dumbbells.
Can even do single sided presses or go the next size up on the lagging muscle if it's really bad.

How long have you been training for?

It may even be something simple like muscle tightness causing that side to fatigue earlier. May just need the knots massaged out.
This can cause a lot of issues like one side sitting higher/more forward than the other, especially in the pecs, traps etc

Jeremy1994

Awards
I've been training for almost a year. My posture just sucks during some work out.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Use dumbbells. Lead with your weak side. Do one extra set with the weak side until it catches up.

Jeremy1994

Awards
That's what imma try but do have any idea why my right shoulder would push itself up, kinda like shrug. Another thing is that when I do a pull down my dad said my left is pulling more than my right.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
That's what imma try but do have any idea why my right shoulder would push itself up, kinda like shrug. Another thing is that when I do a pull down my dad said my left is pulling more than my right.
Try pushing or pulling with one arm at a time. Focus on your form and shoulder position. It's odd to get used to but you will. Have your dad hold your shoulder in position a few times until your body learns to lift or pull that way. It's nice to have a spotter to critique your form. Use that to your advantage.

Jeremy1994

Awards
Ok that sounds good I'll try it out. Thank you all!!

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
If you want to bring balance. Stop the set when your weak side gets tired. So if your left side can only do 8 reps with good form, stop at 8. but only do 8 reps with your right side - even if you can do more. This will allow your weak side to catch up to your strong.

Also, concentrate on your weak side when doing the reps, get a feel arm is doing what and correct it if its bad. So if you automatically use your right more when you do pulldowns, concentrate on pulling harder with your left instead. You will probably end up even.

jaces

jaces

Awards
maybe try doing an extra set on every exercise for your weak side and choose more unilateral exercises

David147

Awards
By feel. Stand on a hard floor with bare feet. Look off into the distance, with out looking down stand up as straight, put your feet shoulder width apart parallel to your shoulders and toes pointed either straight a head or at the same angle....WITH OUT LOOKING DOWN... Now stand there practicing deep abdominal breathing and wait. An muscle imbalances will show up first as vague discomfort, DO NOT MOVE wait until it hurts and you know exactly what the problem is before flexing/shifting. Never move to lesson the pain always move to make it worse.