Bulking and cutting questions.

Jabo66

Awards
Iv been lifting for a few years but more for sports and not so much bodybuilding. I'm getting in bodybuilding now and have a few questions.

1. While bulking if done right and calories are at a 500-1000 surplus then is it safe to say you'll gain more muscle then fat?

2. Same thing for cutting. While cutting if done right and calories are at a 500-1000 deficit then is it safe to say you'll lose more fat then muscle?

3. Based off of your experience what has been the ration of muscle to fat gain while bulking and muscle to fat loss while cutting.
Example: bulk gained 10 lbs - 5 was fat and 5 was muscle so 1:1

teenlifter

teenlifter

Awards
Well it depends on overall what you eat. If it fits your macros won't cut it. If your bulking, eat 300 to 500 cals more. Any more and bad food will make you gain more fat then nessisary. And with cutting just make sure your diet is a lot cleaner, and watch the sodium. Just drop 200 to 300 from what you were eating to keep your body weight.

teenlifter

teenlifter

Awards
And when bulked, I dirty bulked and gain 40 pounds over 8 months. And after I cut I kept about 25 pounds of muscle.

brendan1991

brendan1991

Awards
Bulking - start with a 200-300 calorie surplus, count macros for better control over body composition (iv always found). Hit your fibre requirements, 10-15g per 1000 calories, 2 fruits, 2 vegetables a day and give yourself 10-20% of total calories to fill with what you want. Flexible dieting :)

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
1. While bulking if done right and calories are at a 500-1000 surplus then is it safe to say you'll gain more muscle then fat?
Keeping the surplus lower is a good way to make sure you gain muscle but not too much fat, 1000 surplus is very high unless your activity level is insane.

2. Same thing for cutting. While cutting if done right and calories are at a 500-1000 deficit then is it safe to say you'll lose more fat then muscle?
Same again, the lower the defecit the slower you lose fat but retain more muscle. 1-2lb a week id say is ideal.

3. Based off of your experience what has been the ration of muscle to fat gain while bulking and muscle to fat loss while cutting.
Example: bulk gained 10 lbs - 5 was fat and 5 was muscle so 1:1
Personally if i do a 8month bulk with 200-300cal surplus id say i gain around 10lb fat off a 15lb bulk, muscle take a LOOOONG time to grow compared to fat.