Bigger legs-ass to grass or regular squats?

Beast30

Beast30

Awards
I have always had hard time building bigger legs. I am a power lifter turned body builder and can squat a lot. Recently I have switched over to doing ass to grass squats and have found that it has made a little difference in leg growth. What do you think about the two forms of squat on this issue of which one works better?

jjobe6

jjobe6

Awards
  • Established
Full squats...AtG.

Full squat group:*gained 1.2 kg of muscle, increased lower body muscle mass by 2 percent, and increased thigh muscle cross-sectional area by 4 to 7 percent depending on the part of the leg measured (12 sites were measured).

Partial squat group:*gained no measurable muscle, but did increase thigh muscle cross-sectional area by 2 to 4 percent at four sites on the muscle.

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/1098/Get_Bigger_Stronger_Legs.aspx?lang=EN

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Full squats...AtG.

Full squat group:*gained 1.2 kg of muscle, increased lower body muscle mass by 2 percent, and increased thigh muscle cross-sectional area by 4 to 7 percent depending on the part of the leg measured (12 sites were measured).

Partial squat group:*gained no measurable muscle, but did increase thigh muscle cross-sectional area by 2 to 4 percent at four sites on the muscle.

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/1098/Get_Bigger_Stronger_Legs.aspx?lang=EN
Do they specify what is a full and what is a partial?

A full squat can be hip crease below the knee or ATG, the partial is most likely not to parallel so that study would be useless in the context of this thread.

Last edited:
jjobe6

jjobe6

Awards
  • Established
It only says "deep back squat" so I guess it's up you on what you think deep is.

I know Poliquin says a full squat is when your hamstrings cover your calves.

I think the greater the ROM the better. You are activating more muscle fibers.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It only says "deep back squat" so I guess it's up you on what you think deep is.

I know Poliquin says a full squat is when your hamstrings cover your calves.

I think the greater the ROM the better. You are activating more muscle fibers.
The part speaking of the study just says full (deep back squats were just the authors words)

And if poliquin didn't write that study then his opinion doesn't matter in reference to those studies.

I have nothing against a greater ROM (assuming the lifter has the mobility to do it correctly and safely) but as far as I can tell there is no science showing it to be better.

Beast30

Beast30

Awards
Wow I see now why the deeper squat really works better.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Squats for strength; other lifts for hypertrophy (e.g. good mornings, walking lunges, Bulgarian split squats).

Beast30

Beast30

Awards
Thanks fir the good tip because my focus is to grow tree trunks if it kills me.

madiskinny

madiskinny

Awards
I can always go heavier doing regular squats but ass to grass squats is definitely beneficial because of the range of motion increase!

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
Do both keep it varied.

Some days I go light and for reps. On these days I go ass to the grass and I vary my stance between sets. I also will place a plate on the ground, or a board and put my heels on it to squat. Platz did a hella of a lota reps with full range of motion...

I also have a heavy day where I only go down to parallel... I think the most important thing you can do to maintaining growth is to vary it. Change up your stance, rep range, weights, squat types (i.e. box squats or regular squats, squats with heels raised etc).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do both keep it varied. Some days I go light and for reps. On these days I go ass to the grass and I vary my stance between sets. I also will place a plate on the ground, or a board and put my heels on it to squat. Platz did a hella of a lota reps with full range of motion... I also have a heavy day where I only go down to parallel... I think the most important thing you can do to maintaining growth is to vary it. Change up your stance, rep range, weights, squat types (i.e. box squats or regular squats, squats with heels raised etc).
I'm partially with you on varying up the training, but the raised heels is not one of them. This changes the biomechanics of the lift and may do more harm than good depending on the individual person.

I'm also not a fan of varying up your depths. Keep that consistent and build up that motor pattern. On an even bigger note, there's zero talk of PC development in this thread. Glutes and hams are equally, if not more, important. I'm also not talking about knee flexion (e.g. leg curls). Hip extension should be the primary plane of training for the PC.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Deep squats are asking for knee issues, those tendons are not made for that. Same thing with leg extensions, you're putting way too much tension on those knees. 90 degrees is enough on any flexor imho. Beyond that youre transitioning between two muscle groups. If you want to get deep glut work you can do that with smith machine lunges far better than deep squats anyway. But what do I know, I only squat four times my bodyweight while fasting ;)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Deep squats are asking for knee issues, those tendons are not made for that. Same thing with leg extensions, you're putting way too much tension on those knees. 90 degrees is enough on any flexor imho. Beyond that youre transitioning between two muscle groups. If you want to get deep glut work you can do that with smith machine lunges far better than deep squats anyway.
There's a lot of bad information here. Saying deep squats are inherently bad for the knees is erroneous. Also, you're always shifting muscle activation with the squat in the entire hip and thigh region (the erectors and traps as well to a lesser extent). Finally, no to Smith anything.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
There's a lot of bad information here. Saying deep squats are inherently bad for the knees is erroneous. Also, you're always shifting muscle activation with the squat in the entire hip and thigh region (the erectors and traps as well to a lesser extent). Finally, no to Smith anything.
Thats your opinion, as the above is mine. It does not make it bad information (ie facts). I'd like you to specifically point out how anything said is bad with examples of whats better/correct/etc. If you're going to call someone out stand by your position with some documentation.

I am saying to side on caution, after all knees problems are second only to shoulder injuries. If you don't feel bad if someone tears an MCL or a tendon so be it, thats on you, the truth is you dont have to go deep to work legs. end of the day you do whatever you want but some of us with older knees want to keep them into old age.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats your opinion, as the above is mine. It does not make it bad information (ie facts). I'd like you to specifically point out how anything said is bad with examples of whats better/correct/etc. If you're going to call someone out stand by your position with some documentation. I am saying to side on caution, after all knees problems are second only to shoulder injuries. If you don't feel bad if someone tears an MCL or a tendon so be it, thats on you, the truth is you dont have to go deep to work legs. end of the day you do whatever you want but some of us with older knees want to keep them into old age.
The problem is that most people have no idea how to properly squat and wear improper shoes for squats. There's far too much knee flexion and not enough movement at the hips to drop into the proper position. Look at Oly lifters and PL'ers that compete in the IPF/USAPL. They go full ROM and knee problems are seldom an issue because of proper biomechanics in their squat.

Outside of a freak incident (e.g. slipping), there should never be enough valgus force for MCL damage and tendon issues point directly to too much sheer from excessive knee flexion.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23821469/

Provided that technique is learned accurately under expert supervision and with progressive training loads, the deep squat presents an effective training exercise for protection against injuries and strengthening of the lower extremity. Contrary to commonly voiced concern, deep squats do not contribute increased risk of injury to passive tissues.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Are Deep Squats a Safe and Viable Exercise?
Theoretically, any increased risk of knee injury from deep squatting would involve damage to the menisci and articular cartilage (4,10). Peak tibiofemoral compressive forces occur at approximately 130 of knee flexion (14), which places these structures under greater amounts of stress. The high amount of patellofemoral stress that arises from contact at the underside of the patella with articulating aspects of the femur during high flexion may also increase susceptibility to patellofemoral degeneration (4). Evidence suggests that deep squatting increases contact force across the tibiofemoral joints (3) to a greater degree than across the patellofemoral joint

Now the study goes on the say full squats aren't all bad. Sure, fine I can see some benefit to them if your knees can take it. However as I said its asking for knee issues, which was point as bad info. Most people also cant do nearly as high density in deep squats as they can parallel or even partial squats, both which help ar more in things like running, spriting, and bodybuilding. Unless you're a martial artist, doing ballet, gymnastics, etc activities where you need explosiveness and power BEFORE reaching 90 degree extension I can see some value in deep squats, but again no more than what split lunges or bulgarian split leg squats can give you.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just my 2 cents, but legs are a high rep muscular collection to begin with. One of the staples of my training and when I used to train clients for size was high reps for anything from the waist down. Granted, ROM played an important part in their/my development, ROM plus moderate to heavy weight for higher rep ranges produced the most growth in my opinion.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now the study goes on the say full squats aren't all bad. Sure, fine I can see some benefit to them if your knees can take it. However as I said its asking for knee issues, which was point as bad info. Most people also cant do nearly as high density in deep squats as they can parallel or even partial squats, both which help ar more in things like running, spriting, and bodybuilding. Unless you're a martial artist, doing ballet, gymnastics, etc activities where you need explosiveness and power BEFORE reaching 90 degree extension I can see some value in deep squats, but again no more than what split lunges or bulgarian split leg squats can give you.
Why would you pick that review? It directly shoots down your statement of deep squats being bad for the knees. You're now attempting to red herring the discussion by bringing up weight and applicability of specific squats. The great irony is that the review that YOU posted extolls deeps squats for athletic performance.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Why would you pick that review? It directly shoots down your statement of deep squats being bad for the knees. You're now attempting to red herring the discussion by bringing up weight and applicability of specific squats. The great irony is that the review that YOU posted extolls deeps squats for athletic performance.
Did you happen to miss the line I said Now the study goes on the say full squats aren't all bad. Sure, fine I can see some benefit to them if your knees can take it. then I go on to say why most knees A.) Fail before they get to the bennies of it and B.) dont help most people because its at working a portion they'll never use. What part of that do you not understand? Its a exercise thats was poor to begin with that has several variations that are far better. Are you still doing "good mornings" too? Behind the neck press? We've moved on 1920s strongman, maybe you and your curly handlebar moustache should join us ^_^

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How about we focus on helping OP grow his legs......?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did you happen to miss the line I said Now the study goes on the say full squats aren't all bad. Sure, fine I can see some benefit to them if your knees can take it. then I go on to say why most knees A.) Fail before they get to the bennies of it and B.) dont help most people . What part of that do you not understand? Its a exercise thats was poor to begin with that has several variations that are far better. Are you still doing "good mornings" too? Behind the neck press? We've moved on 1920s strongman, mayeb you and your curly handlebar moustache should join us ^_^
I guess you didn't read the part saying that full squats are better for athletic development, the injury risk is overstated, and is actually beneficial for muscular development/activity? You're now suggesting that the GM should be scrapped? The good morning is without a doubt one of the, if not the, best developers to the entire PC.

Debunking erroneous misinformation is never something to scoff at.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23604798/

Training deep squats elicited favourable adaptations on knee extensor muscle size and function compared to training shallow squats.
The OP never mentioned if he was doing partial/shallow squats and then switched to ATG, or if he was doing below parallel squats and then switched to ATG. Either way, below parallel will recruit more glute and will allow your hips to take the brunt of the load instead of your knees.

I'd most definetly include various unilateral leg movements, deadlift variants, good mornings, and front squats for leg growth.

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
I'm partially with you on varying up the training, but the raised heels is not one of them. This changes the biomechanics of the lift and may do more harm than good depending on the individual person.

I'm also not a fan of varying up your depths. Keep that consistent and build up that motor pattern. On an even bigger note, there's zero talk of PC development in this thread. Glutes and hams are equally, if not more, important. I'm also not talking about knee flexion (e.g. leg curls). Hip extension should be the primary plane of training for the PC.
Are we talking about building strength or muscle? What I laid out worked for me.

tjbruno

tjbruno

Awards
I have a job where I'm crouching or on my knee's most of thd day and from personal experience (prolly not worth much) my knee's feel A LOT better ever since adopting "atg"

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
Both. Define "work."
Continual gains in the size and definition of my quadriceps, hamstrings and glutes. Strength is ok; I deadlift both sumo and stiff leg two and a half my body weight, I squat the same.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Continual gains in the size and definition of my quadriceps, hamstrings and glutes. Strength is ok; I deadlift both sumo and stiff leg two and a half my body weight, I squat the same.
A heel raised squat aka Oly-style squat changes the emphasis of the lift and, therefore, the biomechanics of the lift. I have zero qualms with changing stance widths and bar positioning, but heels raised should only be done if biomechanically compromised (e.g. lack of ankle mobility) or a high-bar, raw squatter. That, and too much of a raise will increase the amount of sheer on the knee itself. You can get plenty of variety from changing the aforementioned width and bar placement. I like box squats, but with a caveat. You need someone to teach you how to properly box squat as opposed to just squatting to a box. Most have the same motor pattern on the box squat as a free-squat and that is not correct. The proper box squat is performed by keeping the shins as vertical as possible and sitting into the box while maintaining a tight arch.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
You're now suggesting that the GM should be scrapped? The good morning is without a doubt one of the, if not the, best developers to the entire PC..
Wow,.. just wow.

Debunking erroneous misinformation is never something to scoff at.
Ok if you say so Mr Know it all. Debunking would of course require something called facts which you continue to neglect. I respect your opinion, however absurd, but I do not appreciate your trying to brow beat others with assertions when they are little more than opinions, mostly dated borderlining myth. But ok, good for you and your ankles to arse approach.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
I have Tendonitis in both of my knees and I can honestly say that ATG squats feel much better on my knees than parallel/partial. Also, after switching to ATG squats from parallel, my leg development has definitely increased. It really is all biomechanics. If you take enough time to learn proper technique, there should be no knee issues with squatting. OP I say go with ATG. Works better for me.

Beast30

Beast30

Awards
I have recently switch between regular squats and ass to grass every few months and have found it shocked the muscles and us helping my legs grow. Of course I would like to have them grow faster but it's a process. The number one thing I had to get over is knowing that I will not be able to ass to grass squat what I would normally do with regular squats.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow,.. just wow. Ok if you say so Mr Know it all. Debunking would of course require something called facts which you continue to neglect. I respect your opinion, however absurd, but I do not appreciate your trying to brow beat others with assertions when they are little more than opinions, mostly dated borderlining myth. But ok, good for you and your ankles to arse approach.
Please, explain why you think the GM is so bad. Biomechanically speaking, a properly executed GM is almost identical to a SLDL with different bar positioning. Are those bad as well?

I guess the peer-reviewed research in the thread doesn't count as evidence to you? If you want to get technical, you're the one claiming that ATG is bad for the knees and YOU would need to provide data supporting your position.

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
Please, explain why you think the GM is so bad. Biomechanically speaking, a properly executed GM is almost identical to a SLDL with different bar positioning. Are those bad as well?

I guess the peer-reviewed research in the thread doesn't count as evidence to you? If you want to get technical, you're the one claiming that ATG is bad for the knees and YOU would need to provide data supporting your position.
You were just talking trash on heel raised squats; an old school exercise. And now you're suggesting good mornings? There is a reason people stopped doing good mornings its too easy to **** up your back. I have not met a personal trainer who would recommend good mornings. Look at Bruce Lee he had a great core and he threw out his back doing good mornings.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You were just talking trash on heel raised squats; an old school exercise. And now you're suggesting good mornings? There is a reason people stopped doing good mornings its too easy to **** up your back. I have not met a personal trainer who would recommend good mornings. Look at Bruce Lee he had a great core and he threw out his back doing good mornings.
I was refuting the merits of changing up heel positioning for no reason. Like I said, unless you're an Oly lifter or biomechanically compromised (e.g. tight calves, immobile ankles, long torso to an extent), there's no point in doing a heel raised squat just for ****s and giggles.

Citing injury potential as a reason to NOT do something is hardly justification. You can hurt yourself doing anything with improper technique. People stopped doing good mornings because they're hard and they suck. However, you cannot refute the merits as a builder of the PC and carryover to the squat and deadlift. You know who is one of the biggest promoters of the GM: Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell. Not coincidentally, they own nearly every geared squat record out there. Most PT organizations don't even teach the GM, which is one of my contentions with the NSCA and ACSM. I've been a certified trainer for nearly 10 years now and always recommend the GM to strengthen the PC.

tcslick

tcslick

Awards
I was refuting the merits of changing up heel positioning for no reason. Like I said, unless you're an Oly lifter or biomechanically compromised (e.g. tight calves, immobile ankles, long torso to an extent), there's no point in doing a heel raised squat just for ****s and giggles.

Citing injury potential as a reason to NOT do something is hardly justification. You can hurt yourself doing anything with improper technique. People stopped doing good mornings because they're hard and they suck. However, you cannot refute the merits as a builder of the PC and carryover to the squat and deadlift. You know who is one of the biggest promoters of the GM: Louie Simmons of Westside Barbell. Not coincidentally, they own nearly every geared squat record out there. Most PT organizations don't even teach the GM, which is one of my contentions with the NSCA and ACSM. I've been a certified trainer for nearly 10 years now and always recommend the GM to strengthen the PC.
Fair enough. Louie Simmons is one of the best strength coaches. But there are others who don't recommend GMs. In Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" he recommends a lot of strength and power exercises with no mention of the GM.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I certainly agree the GM has it's place in PC training, but I found when I was a trainer and strength coach the majority of my clients/players received more benefits from RDL's and SLDL's as far as increases in strength and flexibilty. The change in center of gravity seemed to make a large difference in the effectiveness, and also translated to increases in squat and deadlift strength. This is my own personal experience though and mostly anecdotal.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fair enough. Louie Simmons is one of the best strength coaches. But there are others who don't recommend GMs. In Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" he recommends a lot of strength and power exercises with no mention of the GM.
According to Rip, it's covered, but not sure which edition since there have been several of them.

I certainly agree the GM has it's place in PC training, but I found when I was a trainer and strength coach the majority of my clients/players received more benefits from RDL's and SLDL's as far as increases in strength and flexibilty. The change in center of gravity seemed to make a large difference in the effectiveness, and also translated to increases in squat and deadlift strength. This is my own personal experience though and mostly anecdotal.
The change in leverage does indeed make the lift different in terms of muscle activation. From a coordination standpoint, the SLDL/RDL (and hypers) are much easier to teach and learn. I start teaching the GM with bands as they present a smaller challenge psychologically and they're also less taxing to the CNS.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
Why this incessant battle of absolutes? Everyone is built different, so is it so difficult to think that perhaps some people may benefit from ATG vs parallel or vice versa? Maybe try them both and see what is more comfortable and produces better results?

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
I want to smack so many people in the head right now. There is no other way to do a correct squat other then ATG, 90 degrees is a partial squat. In my opinion stopping half way through the movement is putting more pressure on the joint because your stopping your bodies momentum downward. Also as Rodja said PC plays a huge role if your worried about hurting your back doing good mornings which is virtually impossible start off with back extensions when you can get 50 in a row at body weight (which I doubt most people on here can do) then move onto good mornings. To me people think powerlifting and bodybuilding should be trained in two completely different fashions. I think this is a huge mistake I did body building for 8 years and just started doing powerlifting this year. The big difference, you get hurt less in powerlifting because they perform movements correctly, and they train supporting muscles.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
3rd edition
I just did a quick search and, according to him on his forum, it's covered at some point.

Why this incessant battle of absolutes? Everyone is built different, so is it so difficult to think that perhaps some people may benefit from ATG vs parallel or vice versa? Maybe try them both and see what is more comfortable and produces better results?
What's ironic in this discussion is that I am a parallel squatter, but see the merits in both styles. My contention has been the moronic and archaic belief that ATG is bad on the knees when the literature does not support that statement.

Rarchib

Rarchib

Awards
I have recently switch between regular squats and ass to grass every few months and have found it shocked the muscles and us helping my legs grow. Of course I would like to have them grow faster but it's a process. The number one thing I had to get over is knowing that I will not be able to ass to grass squat what I would normally do with regular squats.
How's your program look? Maybe that's something to consider too.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to smack so many people in the head right now. There is no other way to do a correct squat other then ATG, 90 degrees is a partial squat.
You think so?

I guess you should inform these guys then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sbxbAnkTcg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mKjui7dbBE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOMcmDh7UmE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Part 4. POWERLIFTS AND RULES OF PERFORMANCE Item 1. Squat 4.1.1 The lifter shall face the front of the platform. 4.1.2 Not more than five and not less than two spotter/loaders shall be on the platform at any time. 4.1.3 The lifter may enlist the help of the spotter/loaders in removing the bar from the racks; however, once the bar has cleared the racks, the spotter/loaders shall not assist the lifter further with regard to proper positioning, foot placement, bar positioning, etc. 4.1.4 The lifter shall not hold the collars, sleeves or discs at any time during the performance of the lift. However, the edge of the hands gripping the bar may be in contact with the inner surface of the sleeves. After removing the bar from the squat racks and/or the mono-lift, the lifter must move backwards to establish his position. The lifter shall assume an upright position with the top of the bar not more than 3 cm below the superior deltoids. The bar shall be held horizontally across the shoulders with the hands and fingers gripping the bar and the feet flat on the platform with the knees locked. Note: If a mono-lift is used, the swing arm lever pin cannot be removed or the swing arm lever actuated. The lifter must still un-rack the weight and move backwards to establish his position. 4.1.6 4.1.7 The lifter shall wait in this position for the Head Referee's signal. The signal shall be given as soon as the lifter is motionless and the bar properly positioned. The Head Referee's signal shall consist of a downward movement of the arm and the audible command "SQUAT". Upon receiving the head Referee's signal, the lifter must bend the knees and lower the body until the top surface of the legs at the hip joint is lower than the top of the knees. 4.1.8 The lifter must recover at will without double bouncing or any downward movement to an upright position with the knees locked. When the lifter is motionless, the Head Referee will give the signal to replace the bar. 4.1.9 The signal to replace the bar will consist of a backward motion of the hand and the audible command "RACK". The lifter must then make a bona fide attempt to return the bar to the racks. 4.1.10 For reasons of safety the lifter will be requested to "Re-Place" the bar, together with a backward motion of the arm, if after five seconds they are not in the correct position to begin the lift. The diagrams below indicate the legal bar position and required depth in the squat

legalsquat1.jpg

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
This was my point, there are much better options in the variety of positions we now know. Just as with the insane GM talk, no one with an ounce of snese does these anymore because they're dangerous except done extremely accurately and theres better options. But nnoooo the purist say "arse to ankles or die infidel", even though many backs and knees have been blown out on these highly overrated exercises.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Actually, I feel Good Mornings have helped my squat and deadlift the most. I've gone 3-400lbs for reps with GM's with no injury.

I don't understand your post though: They're dangerous unless they're done accurately. Doesn't that go for anything?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This was my point, there are much better options in the variety of positions we now know. Just as with the insane GM talk, no one with an ounce of snese does these anymore because they're dangerous except done extremely accurately and theres better options. But nnoooo the purist say "arse to ankles or die infidel", even though many backs and knees have been blown out on these highly overrated exercises.
You're ridiculous with your statements. ANYTHING can be dangerous when done improperly and I love how the stats and science have refuted your statements and you still, arrogantly, refuse to acknowledge it.

Beast30

Beast30

Awards
I agree without the right knowledge any exercise done wrong or is not done with safety can be dangerous.