Genetics debate

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.66%

Question Genetics debate

Hi guys,

I used the search button on the forum, but I was unable to find a similar thread, so here it goes.

Everybody who goes to the gym expects to see results (in a reasonable amount of time). There a lot of dudes, who would say that the genetics are a myth and you just have to train really hard, eat eat eat (then eat some more) an sleep well. I think this is not entirely true, I think that doing this trio will actually make your body more effective of reaching your maximum natty potential.
    I see all the time average dudes that come the first time to the gym and bench press max 90lbs, but others seem to start off higher than that, lets say at 150lbs. It will take the weaker guy quite a long time to catch up to where the other guy started.

I read a lot of articles on how/why muscle tissue is synthesized by the body and as I understand the same process happens for every human being, but factors as hormonal output greatly modulate the effect.

So my question is what really means bad genetics ? Is it hormones? androgen receptor count? bone/tendon structure ?

Thanks.

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'5"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Nobody is equipped with identical genetics.
    I bet those weaker guys at the gym could run a 5k minutes faster than the guys who are genetic freaks in the gym.

That and cultural differences play a role.
    Say one guy was raised in a family that never did breakfast lunch and dinner, one guy was raised in a family that sat down for every meal but only light portions, and another guy was raised in a family that ate the biggest meals ever.
    Their bodies will all develop very different from one another.
    The last guy will probably be years ahead of the other two his first day at the gym.
    Genomyx Rep
    www.genomyx.com
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.34%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ecto84 View Post

So my question is what really means bad genetics ? Is it hormones? androgen receptor count? bone/tendon structure ?
    Well the genetics card might be dependent on what sport specific thing you speak. Strength really means nothing in a BBing contest, and being svelte, with perfect body & muscle shape means nothing in power or oly lifting.
    If you just want to be better, stronger, more physically fit, sexier, healthier or whatever it is your goal maybe, then genetics do not have a very strong foothold, since training a muscle and or the system, can make a difference in even the elderly. If on the other hand, you are comparing yourself or competing against others, where they may have a genetic advantage because of structural plusses or minusses, then yes genetics can play a rather good role. Ed Coan would not be very well known if he was 6" taller and Lebron would most likely not be known if he was 8" shorter.

The bottom line is, to FIRST BE, the best YOU can be, with the gifts and talents you have.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.66%

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    Well the genetics card might be dependent on what sport specific thing you speak. Strength really means nothing in a BBing contest, and being svelte, with perfect body & muscle shape means nothing in power or oly lifting.
    I am reffering strictly to muscle building, the amount of lean mass one man can add to his bodyframe. My question was more general, not stricly for proffesional bodybuilders. I am not trying to compare myself here to anyone, or anyone to others. I wanted to get more opinions on this topic from an objective point of view.

I think there are a lot of people out there interested in this subject, some of them do blame genetics for their failure when they compare their body to some huge freaks out there.

I think undestanding this differences can help people be more focused on their hard work. When I go to the gym, I always hear people talking about "that huge guy" overthere who is a genetic freak, or is running roids, or he is training like a beast, or or or . People will jump into anything starting from bulking, buying unncessary supplements to steroids, steroid stacks, HGH etc... just to become that genetic freak and many of them will fail...
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.52%

asthetics look much better than all bulk
    in my opinion,bodybuilding is an art of shaping our body beautifully
    i dont wanna look like a coleman whose 6 packs are bulging out of his abdominal because of excessive use of roids
    genetics sure do play a major part
    jay cutler has such a wide skeleton,and he was comapritively very strong in his teens..used to press 200 lbs when started

Similar Forum Threads

1. Great Debate: Glutamine worth the money??
    By YellowJacket in forum Supplements
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 08:22 PM
  2. the family genetics
    By ralph4u2c in forum Pics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 04:35 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 11:03 AM
  4. Fat Label Debate
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2