Cant gain muscle weight, thinking about prohormones mabe?

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
Prohormones apparently work great for building muscle but im guessing there are side effect anybody take them that could tell me if I should take them and what to expect when taking them

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You shouldn't take them.

If you can't gain weight your diet needs work. Eat more.

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
Man im trying it doesnt matter if I eat the hell out of protein or how many protein shakes I take or if I eat junk food. I gained 12 lbs in a month and a half when I started lifting again and then idk feeling bumbed out...... just cant gain, idk should start eating more meals in a day ?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man im trying it doesnt matter if I eat the hell out of protein or how many protein shakes I take or if I eat junk food. I gained 12 lbs in a month and a half when I started lifting again and then idk feeling bumbed out...... just cant gain, idk should start eating more meals in a day ?
That's your problem. You relate weight gain to how many protein shakes you drink. Protein powder is food, meant to supplement your diet when you can't achieve your protein intake by food alone. There's days I don't touch protein powder because I still get in enough via food. Even protein alone won't make you gain weight.

You gained 12lbs, to maintain that and continue, you must eat more. The bigger you are, the more calories you need. Simple as that.

Prohormones are steroids. Except that. They won't make you gain weight. The only thing in the entire world that will make you gain weight, is a caloric surplus. The ONLY THING!!

If you don't gain weight naturally because you aren't eating enough, prohormones won't do it either. What are the prohormones going to use to build muscle? Food

Do you know how many calories are needed to maintain your current body weight? How many carbs and fats are you taking in a day? From what sources? How many days per week are you training?

There's numerous variables that you need to know for yourself and to answer before anyone can provide you with anymore help.

Don't take any prohormones. Save those for when you have done everything humanly possible to gain weight via calories and and natural supplementation. Taking more protein shakes and not gaining doesn't mean you're maximizing your potential

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
Monday-Chest
Tuesday-triceps
Wednesday-legs and back
Thrusday- biceps and shoulders
Friday-abs and traps

Eating lots of deer steaks that i got from hunting and deer sausage
Lots of turkey meat, peanut butter,and bannas every once in a while, brats, and a protein shake every morning and after workout

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Monday-Chest
Tuesday-triceps
Wednesday-legs and back
Thrusday- biceps and shoulders
Friday-abs and traps

Eating lots of deer steaks that i got from hunting and deer sausage
Lots of turkey meat, peanut butter,and bannas every once in a while, brats, and a protein shake every morning and after workout
A day dedicated to triceps is pointless. You hit them with chest the day before.

Training legs and back together is a bad idea..the two largest muscles on your body.

A day for traps is absolutely ridiculous. They're back muscles, train them with back. They'll actually grow more from rowing than from shrugging. That "peak" that everyone wants, is just 1/8 of the muscle. They travel down your upper back.

Give yourself more rest days. I recommend a 4 day per week Upper/Lower/Upper/Lower plan.

You gave your food list. The only carb source you listed was a banana. Why?

Height? Weight? Exactly how many calories do you eat per day?

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
5' 6 135 lbs I just thought I need to pack a lot of protein into my diet to gain muscle so thats why I dont have other things in my food plan

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5' 6 135 lbs I just thought I need to pack a lot of protein into my diet to gain muscle so thats why I dont have other things in my food plan
Nope. Protein only contains 4 calories per gram. It's not a lot. Excess protein is....excessive

1-1.5g of protein per pound of body weight
.5-1g of fat per pound
The rest fill with carbs

Protein will repair the muscle. You need fats and carbs to grow (in my opinion)

You've got the protein sources down. Carbs-sweet potatoes, rice, whole grains. Fats-red meat, fish, nuts, avacado, coconut/olive oils ect

You've gotta eat more than just protein. That's only one small peice of the puzzle.

I like T-Bones recommendation. Find a basic book on eating for strength training. On top of that, look up the book Starting Strength.

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
I do triceps on a differnt day cause when I do it on chest day I cant do as much weight and reps (have to drop 20 lb on skull cruchers) cause there tired from the other exercises, and I do traps on friday with abs just to kinda give me another rest days cause I thought I might have been over exercising and thats why I wasnt gaining weight but il start working traps on back day then. Really been messing with my routine to try to figure something out why I ain gaining muscle thats why its all messed up right now

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You have a ways to go with your diet and WORKOUT PLAN. Stay away from PH's for a bit, you don't need them right now. Lots of good advice in this thread, execute what has been suggested and you will be impressed with the results.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agree with Sean.

Most of your focus on gaining overall mass and B weight revolves around or puts the most emphasis on, the smallest muscles!?!?
You comment on not having enough gas for the tris after BP's day, but put legs and back (the 2 largest groups) on only one day a week training!?

Also, personally, the whole idea with supplements and or especially more dangerous PH's etc., being the difference between you gaining or not, is not a good or healthy approach or outlook at all. They will not make that difference.
80%-90% of anyone's best gains, will be from a focus on good compound exercises and good solid natural food.

IMO, look into proven 5x5's and or more large body muscle group work, if you want to gain overall size and strength and worry about triceps or biceps only after hard work is put in on the big compounds.

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
Thanks everyone glad u guys know what ur talking about im gonna start doing all this advice uv been telling me a try it out and see what happens

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Train to failure every set, every workout. Then watch your hunger increase, and your weight/muscle concordantly.

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
Iv been doing a lot of drop sets when I do my sets I do my max (4-6 reps) for 4 sets and as soon as im done with my 4th I drop 10lb every 30 sec and I get a great burn and pump when I do this way

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
I get real hungry about every 2 - 2 1\2 hours but dont get to eat that often cause of work

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Doesn't matter. What matters is your total calories at the end of the day. I have the worst job ever in terms of eating, and I make out fine

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Iv been doing a lot of drop sets when I do my sets I do my max (4-6 reps) for 4 sets and as soon as im done with my 4th I drop 10lb every 30 sec and I get a great burn and pump when I do this way
To reiterate my post above, what you are doing here, works okay for the smaller groups, since they will not beat down your system. However, I am guessing you're not doing this with the large groups!?
A burn and pump is okay I suppose, but to me, does not always prove growth in mass and strength. You are going to be better off with simple progression (adding weight and or reps/sets) and straight forward multi set/rep execution, over say a month or 2 or 3. ie; Starting say squats, deads, rows, BP's, standing OHP's with x amount of weight and add #5-#10 per week for a cycle while taking in enough food. At the end of the cycle, regroup with lower weights again and take another run. Adding weight to these biggest exercises, without having to use all the fancy drop sets, intensities, forced reps etc. etc. is where you are going to transform the largest musculature of the body, into accepting heavier and heavier loads and growing the entire body larger and of course stronger.
Then worry about the small stuff and however you want to program it. My guess is, if you are hitting the big stuff hard enough, with multi sets and reps (adding weight weekly) you will not be that interested in doing drop sets afterwards on say arms. A few sets of heavy straight weight will most likely be plenty.
I used to train my arms until I could hardly move them with tons of volume and intensity, it did very little after a point for size, compared to heavy rows, chins BP's etc. along with eating enough.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally, I have never worried about all that. (But I am not a lean cut bodybuilder either) I just ate a balanced diet, and ate enough. If the scale was going up, I was eating enough and adjusted accordingly.
If you are interested in gaining some weight and strength, then put the effort and focus on the big stuff and the little stuff takes care of itself. If however you are interested in a very lean BBer body and cuts, you have to make all the adjustments necessary. Limiting the diet in this way however, will find it harder to gain all over muscular BW.

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
Not interested in being really cut, right now thats how my body is, now I want to gain about another 15 - 20 lbs in muscle I can cut later cause loosing weight easy for me

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not interested in being really cut, right now thats how my body is, now I want to gain about another 15 - 20 lbs in muscle I can cut later cause loosing weight easy for me
Calculate your TDEE using an online calculator. Add 500 on that. Eat that or more. 1-1.5g protein per lb of BW. .5g+ of fat per lb of BW. The rest, will up with carbs. Figure the math out.

Eat eat eat eat and don't stop eating. If you think you are enough, you're wrong-go eat more.

Look up carb cycling articles on T-Nation and see if that interests you

absurd

absurd

Banned
Awards
How many carbs should I be eating a day?
That guy was right the end calories matter most but if your 1000 calories shy at the end of the day it will be tough cramming that many down so a weight gainer shake will help while your at work 750 calories easy. Carbs I'd do 40/40/20 protein/carb/fat or you could do 50/40/10 it's all up to you.

DrDeca

DrDeca

Awards
Prohormones apparently work great for building muscle but im guessing there are side effect anybody take them that could tell me if I should take them and what to expect when taking them
Do your research buddy. Whats your age? weight. height. weight lifting experience? and hows your diet. They wont do **** without your diet being spot on. And side effects are hefty. Get a solid PCT before you go buying prohormones. id buy a pct first. incase u get gyno or some **** during cycle.

kp2012

Awards
dude you're no way ready for PH..no hate, but you have NO idea on training or nutrition yet. stay away from them, do more research via these threads etc and you'll grow heaps, i promise. how old are you man?

kp2012

Awards
yeah man, definitely plenty of room for growth without the pH. i suggest you hire a coach, i coach bodybuilders here in NZ and online for comps etc, i'll be happy to help you

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
Just wondering, im not on any ph but why not, wont it make me gain a lot of muscle mass fast? My friends like 36 years old hes done 2 cycles and he gains 20 +lbs everytime. Just needing a reason why ur all against the ph. Please give me ur opinions

kp2012

Awards
not against them as such, but its the fact that currently you're looking for an easy way out bro. going from 135-150lbs naturally isn't hard at all if you have your diet and training in check. what we're trying to say, is do them in the future if you want, but for now its a waste of time, as you'll only get to levels that you would have got to naturally anyway, then you'll end up losing them if you cant eat and train properly. its all a full circle kind of situation here man, gotta make sure you do it right or its a waste of time, money and health

ecto84

ecto84

Awards
I have the same problem dude. Cant get enough calories, but I struggle. One other thing you could try is to get some probiotics (healthy gut bacteria) in your system, this would help you to better digest the food and get more nutrients into the blood stream.

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
Alright thanks guys.... iv actually gained 6lbs since I started this post and you all told me how to eat better up to 141

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
Do yourself a favor and REALLY research a good lifting plan and diet to match. You can't build a house without a foundation, if you do you will fail.

BigKrabbe

BigKrabbe

Awards
  • Established
If I could go back now I would have stayed natural far longer than I did. There are TONS of other options to gain more muscle before you start anabolics, supplementation wise non-hormonal anabolics are always an option. Squat, squat, squat, buffet, buffet, buffet, and repeat. You'll gain weight and muscle my man.

rush808

rush808

Awards
I concur with everyone here when they say; revamp your training regiment. Should be more like; Legs (squats) - Upper body (Bench; Bar/DB) - Back (Deadlifts, rows).

But i also believe you shouldnt ignore your isolation excercises. some people wont get awesome calves and defined arms with all body workouts. and it's okay to isolate AFTER your big lifts.

No one here seem to Hate on PH's, your just not ready to reap the rewards of a PH, so why take the Risk?

jmiyamoto

jmiyamoto

Awards
Basically: if you're not able to gain muscle weight, it means you're not eating enough (either not enough calories, not enough protein, or both) and/or not hitting the right rep range/lifts on your workouts. But it's probably "not eating enough." And if you don't do that right, prohormones won't help you. They help you after you can get that right.

ecto84

ecto84

Awards
Basically: if you're not able to gain muscle weight, it means you're not eating enough (either not enough calories, not enough protein, or both) and/or not hitting the right rep range/lifts on your workouts. But it's probably "not eating enough." And if you don't do that right, prohormones won't help you. They help you after you can get that right.
But one can gain muscle while on gear even if eating under maintainance level. It all depends on dosage.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is far safer and most likely will be longer term gains, if done naturally over some time. That way you learn your body's natural responses, don't have to worry about PCT's and jumps up and down in hormone spikes, losing gains easy etc.

I am not here to preach against them, as I know more advanced guys who have used them and paid their dues, know more or less what they are doing etc., but to just jump in at the start of lifting, because you hear buddies using, or you don't feel you have gotten any gains, needs to be looked at a little more closely naturally, than just popping some chemicals and trying to short cut long term safe natural gains.
How do you know what you are capable of naturally, if you have not even pushed up against that wall of hard work yet???

Ross_The_Boss

Awards
Iv been looking at androgeddon mass builder by aar couple of people I know take the mass builder cycle and have gained over 20+ lbs every time it has 2 months of the ph and 1 month of pct to wein u off of it its $207 but im gonna try eating a lot better before I try a cycle of it

Revival

Revival

Awards
Iv been looking at androgeddon mass builder by aar couple of people I know take the mass builder cycle and have gained over 20+ lbs every time it has 2 months of the ph and 1 month of pct to wein u off of it its $207 but im gonna try eating a lot better before I try a cycle of it
I can't believe how much of an idiot you are. I usually wouldn't be this harsh but numerous people have told you what to do and it falls on deaf ears.

Tot not advanced enough to use steroids. Gaining muscle and strength is so easy at your size and level. If you have not learned how to make great gains in muscle and strength naturally than a steroid (prohormone) cycle will do nothing for you.

If u think gaining mass is difficult at your size I can assure you keeping gains from steroids are harder. So if you can do it now you will lose what you gain in the on cycle.

Steroids come at a cost. Shutting down your hpta is never a good thing. There always a chance it will not restart properly, which would mean no kids and trt for life. They make your cholesterol go insanely bad, if your predispositioned for heart problems your playing with fire ect. I'm far from anti steroids/prohormones in fact they can be very helpful but the risk/reward ratio has to be there and you have all risks and little reward.

Also for any novice reading this do not ever ever ever run that armegeddon cycle. It's insanely dangerous. It's got like 3 methyls and one dimethyl steroid. Anytime you're running a dimethyl steroid you should never run anything more than one methyl max on top of it. If you are brave that is.

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After looking back on this thread I think all the advice has been fall ing on def ears. I'm sorry I was part of this thread & I for one have learned and researched the f**k out of logs & posts since then.
I hope others learn from this thread as well.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can't believe how much of an idiot you are. I usually wouldn't be this harsh but numerous people have told you what to do and it falls on deaf ears.

Tot not advanced enough to use steroids. Gaining muscle and strength is so easy at your size and level. If you have not learned how to make great gains in muscle and strength naturally than a steroid (prohormone) cycle will do nothing for you.

If u think gaining mass is difficult at your size I can assure you keeping gains from steroids are harder. So if you can do it now you will lose what you gain in the on cycle.

Steroids come at a cost. Shutting down your hpta is never a good thing. There always a chance it will not restart properly, which would mean no kids and trt for life. They make your cholesterol go insanely bad, if your predispositioned for heart problems your playing with fire ect. I'm far from anti steroids/prohormones in fact they can be very helpful but the risk/reward ratio has to be there and you have all risks and little reward.

Also for any novice reading this do not ever ever ever run that armegeddon cycle. It's insanely dangerous. It's got like 3 methyls and one dimethyl steroid. Anytime you're running a dimethyl steroid you should never run anything more than one methyl max on top of it. If you are brave that is.
Post looks solid except that u can still have babies on a shutdown system. You still produce sperm but the quality and life of the sperm is reduced subatantially. However this is highly variable. A single 100mg dose of Clomid a day before trying could make the difference.

Beast30

Beast30

Awards
I agree that the first thing you should do is get your diet right and consistent then see where that takes you. Once you get that dialed in and gain as much as you can through food then I would try prohormones to get you more gains.

JD261985

Banned
Awards
Why is this in the natural bodybuilding forum? Natural means no AAS no prohormones no nothing...move it to the other forum

skinnybones

skinnybones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why is this in the natural bodybuilding forum? Natural means no AAS no prohormones no nothing...move it to the other forum
I agree .... Also , drop this thread all together ..