Need advice

  1. New Member
    patesal1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    33
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    38.2%

    Need advice


    I am 6'3 195 pounds and I've got a plan but I want to know if its a good plan. I'm about to stock up on supplements and I'm going to get some mass gainer and my plan is to bulk up to about 220-230ish and then focus on losing the fat. Is this a good idea?

  2. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115628
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    How long have you been training?
    What does your routine look like?

    IMO, not really.
    The normal lean muscle gains, for the average natty lifter in a year, is about #5 low side, to #15 high side. I know that might not sound like much but try and eat #8 pounds of steak. It is a lot of meat. So adding a bunch of extra weight, will most likely not be lean tissue anyway.
    IMO, you would be ahead of the game to just sloooooowly, (over the months/time as you train on the big compound exercises) gain strength and muscular BW that way, along with eating good well balanced REAL food, whilst saving the most money for the grocer. Maybe a good whey supplement for getting some extra cals in but a lot of gain supps are just filled with sugar and sweeteners you do not really need.
    You'll keep and earn better long term gains IMO, not having to cut off all the fat gain and thus feeling a loss when losing strength, mass etc. etc. while cutting.
  3. New Member
    patesal1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    33
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    38.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    How long have you been training?
    What does your routine look like?

    IMO, not really.
    The normal lean muscle gains, for the average natty lifter in a year, is about #5 low side, to #15 high side. I know that might not sound like much but try and eat #8 pounds of steak. It is a lot of meat. So adding a bunch of extra weight, will most likely not be lean tissue anyway.
    IMO, you would be ahead of the game to just sloooooowly, (over the months/time as you train on the big compound exercises) gain strength and muscular BW that way, along with eating good well balanced REAL food, whilst saving the most money for the grocer. Maybe a good whey supplement for getting some extra cals in but a lot of gain supps are just filled with sugar and sweeteners you do not really need.
    You'll keep and earn better long term gains IMO, not having to cut off all the fat gain and thus feeling a loss when losing strength, mass etc. etc. while cutting.
    I've been lifting for 5 years and I'm currently doing Jim Stoppanis shortcut to size. I'm almost done with it though and I'd say it worked pretty well. I started the program weighing about 180 and I upped my protein intake and obviously worked out and I'm 195 now. But I'm kind of stuck, not sure what to do next
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115628
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    When you say stuck, do you mean with progress or are you board with doing that certain program?
    What is your age?
    What are your short term goals?
    Long term goals?
    What are some of your training poundages in the big exercises?
  5. New Member
    patesal1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    33
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    38.2%

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBlack View Post
    When you say stuck, do you mean with progress or are you board with doing that certain program?
    What is your age?
    What are your short term goals?
    Long term goals?
    What are some of your training poundages in the big exercises?
    I'm 17 years old. My goal right now is to put on mass but I want to lose body fat also. I'm not sure how I should go about that and I want to know what supplements I should be using, what diet I should follow, and what kind of cardio I should be doing. I can't spend a ton of money but I'll buy what I need. For a long time I wasn't seeing any progress but now that I'm older I'm finally starting to see gains and I want to take my training to the next level. Another problem I have is my arms, they are long and so I feel like they aren't keeping up as far as size goes with the rest of my body. I'm almost done with my current program so I'm looking for what I need to do next
  6. Senior Member
    PaulBlack's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,816
    Rep Power
    115628
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    48.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Well, at 17 your not really done filling out yet. As far as supplements, they don't always deliver what they say they do and are not magic, so I would not get too bunged up over not having the money for them. As I said, good natural food will go very far, (and is much cheaper) just like it did for the old school guys way before they even had protein powders.
    As far as what to do next, are you keeping in your sights the main big compound lifts and working on just keeping them progressing? Since, as far as what to do next, keeping those in your sights for your entire lifting career will most likely do the most for giving you the most bang and biggest overall gains.
    It is as simple as that really. Lift, eat, sleep, repeat... Kinda boring I know!

    Putting on mass and cutting BF at the same time, are probably the biggest goals for many, but is probably one of the harder things to do too, since cutting cals to lose BF, cuts into adding mass and bigger strength gains to feed the body when calling on it to grow. At your age, you most likely have more wiggle room to do both, other than most guys older than you. So I would just keep doing good proven routines, while trying to move the weights and or reps/sets forward/up. There are some good proven 5x5 routines out there that build mass and strength and hit all the major groups.

    Arms are usually a concern with most young guys. Arms respond good to overall compound work (especially heavy rows or chins and BP's) and some extra iso arm work at the ends of W/O's, but arm size and overall BW, kinda go hand in hand. The taller the guy, the longer the limbs and of course the tougher it can be to really fill them out some. But don't despair, it can just take a bit more time.
  7. Advanced Member
    laneanders's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    886
    Rep Power
    198651
    Level
    31
    Lv. Percent
    56.13%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    At your age the only supplement you would really want is a good protein and maybe some creatine or beta alanine. I would really just focus on the protein though as your purpose is currently to bulk. There are some very good flavors in Protean by iForce. Remember though the majority of your calories need to be solid foods, protein powders are just powdered food to help reach your caloric goals.
  8. Professional Member
    xR1pp3Rx's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  213 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,021
    Rep Power
    1506039
    Level
    58
    Lv. Percent
    59.38%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting Pro

    this Is solid advice ^^

    compete might be a nice addition as well!!!
    FINAFLEX forum rep
    visit our website at finaflex.com
  9. Advanced Member
    veaderko's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Age
    29
    Posts
    971
    Rep Power
    283117
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    85.19%
    Achievements Activity Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by laneanders View Post
    At your age the only supplement you would really want is a good protein and maybe some creatine or beta alanine. I would really just focus on the protein though as your purpose is currently to bulk. There are some very good flavors in Protean by iForce. Remember though the majority of your calories need to be solid foods, protein powders are just powdered food to help reach your caloric goals.
    Agree! Protean or Isotean postWO followed with a whole food meal.

    Training is a whole nother beast, and that goes hand in hand with your nutrition. So if you want some serious help you need to be pretty specific with your stuff. Whats your nutrition plan, whats your training look like. With this stuff anyone of us can help you. And you may get a lot of responses if your specific with those details. So then you have a few to choose from and help yourself out.

    I am a coach for my little brother who just turned 18 and going to be a cop. I dont have him on hardly any supps other than Conquer, Hemavol, Protean and BCAA's. He has came a long way and he is young yet so he will make huge gains in little time with the right training and nutrition.
    iForce Nutrition Anabolics Minion Member
    iTrain. iCompete. iDominate
    iForce Nutrition -www.iForceNutrition.com
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Diet newbie needs advice for cycle
    By Irongame in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 04:56 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 03:01 PM
  3. Need advice on my "stack"
    By AlexParty in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-06-2003, 01:34 PM
  4. Need Advice
    By Selso in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 09:09 AM
  5. ph newbie needs advice
    By metacat in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-28-2002, 01:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in