Tall Lifters (over 6'0)

heyhuggy

heyhuggy

Awards
Didn't get any responses for last thread, so starting a new one:

I've heard/read contrary ideas from experienced lifters and coaches, that relating to lifting technique for taller lifters, those of us over 6'0. I happen to be 6'3 myself. The idea relates to range of motion -ROM-. One side of the argument will say there needs to be a 'fuller' range of motion to compensate for body size (arm/leg/torso specifically), yet I've also heard taller lifters ought to shorten their ROM to focus more on the intended muscle to be worked.

I can vouch and say that I tend to shorten my ROM slightly, which seems to alleviate stress on joints. Anyone else have any thoughts on this??

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've always done full ROM but thats just because its how I started training a long time ago based on my own accord. Did a stint in powerlifting for awhile that required full ROM to be considered a successful lift. Never though about shortening the range... interested to see others feedback.

heyhuggy

heyhuggy

Awards
I've always done full ROM but thats just because its how I started training a long time ago based on my own accord. Did a stint in powerlifting for awhile that required full ROM to be considered a successful lift. Never though about shortening the range... interested to see others feedback.
I wish I could quote the source, as looking through various scholarly journals.

cumminslifter

cumminslifter

Awards
always do a full ROM

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
No, don't always do a full ROM> I'm 6'5" and Flat/Incline/Decline over 405 for each lift from 1-5 reps depending on the lift. I go 3/4. If you doubt me, I have lifted in over 13 powerlifting competitions and prepping for another as we speak. Going full range does nothing but allwos you to rest. When you keep it 3/4 length the weight stays on the mucle and it remains flexed throughout the excrcise. BTW, I also squat 500/ Dead 550. I think I have an idea it works. The only time I go full ROM is when I compete.

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
The cool thing about being tall is the ROM is more than short folk. If you have 3 inch longer arms than some one else in one lift you've done more work by 6 inches per rep. A set of 8 is 4 feet over the other guy. Moreover you have the capacity to build a lot more muscle in terms of volume. Now the shorter guy is going to look a lot bigger and you being tall will take longer to get your muscles bigger. So go full ROM with lighter weight and you've already done more work with lighter weight. Now to focus on the individual, since everyone is different you need to experiment for yourself. For a press you may start lift on delts or holding it several inches above. I can get a full contraction on pull ups without going all the way up. You need to experiment and find what works for you. If you are training for a meet by all means do the ROM that is required, if not no one is judging how much ROM you have in your Arnold press etc. Long story short, figure out for yourself what works, but start with a good ROM.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, don't always do a full ROM> I'm 6'5" and Flat/Incline/Decline over 405 for each lift from 1-5 reps depending on the lift. I go 3/4. If you doubt me, I have lifted in over 13 powerlifting competitions and prepping for another as we speak. Going full range does nothing but allwos you to rest. When you keep it 3/4 length the weight stays on the mucle and it remains flexed throughout the excrcise. BTW, I also squat 500/ Dead 550. I think I have an idea it works. The only time I go full ROM is when I compete.
Okay, so you are talking more, not locking out!?
I can see keeping the tension and it still paying off. Since the L/O on most lifts is more leverage advantageous.
If however one does mostly partials, (say not going deep enough) then the transference to full reps is not always there. Otherwise, I would never do a full rep.
Just curious, is your lifting geared or raw?

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Always RAW,

No gear. YouTube videos posted under HokiePride! I don't even use knee wraps or elbow sleeves. Also, I compete in the 100%!RAW Federation. Look it up! I built my frame by doing two major things. A guy explained I needed to go wide on everything! Of course it hurt! I told him everyone looks at my belly! He said if you go wide and build your frame, you will develop a taper. The larger you get on the wide frame, the less they look at your belly and no one will care.
I have used Mark Bells Slingshot to help get stronger.

Fast forward 15 yrs later and I'm a walking 6'5, 300+ RAW POWERLIFTER. Transformed from the 190lb scrawny basketball player. Btw, I have no concerns of any drug testing be amuse I use all USPLABS products. If you go to their site, my log ROAD TO A 500 Bench Press, is there. I've been at this for awhile. I entered 13 powerlifting contests in a 2.5 year period Sep10-jun12. All listed on bodyspace under screw name PatoVa. I would have competed today in the IPA in York, Pa on my 40 birthday but I couldn't take days off since I get so many to take when my second son is born later this year!

I can get under the bar any day it time and bench over 405. At times ill bench 4 times a week and no delt problems, by the grace of god! When I say upwards of 4 times I will flat Monday, incline argues day, close grip Thursday and decline Saturday!

If you don't believe me check the log I'm running for JD with the new Titanium sponsored log. Currently doing a 20 day Chest Specialization to get chest even bigger NATURALLY! I hold no punches and tell all truth.'ligs to prove what I'm telling you. If I had a CPU in front of me I would have tagged everything but I'm on my iPhone which is about to die!

Btw, I go all the way to bottom just not all the way to top! Maintaining a slight bend at the top to keep tension on the muscle! If you do a push-up and lockout, you rest! To make more difficult stop before lockout and rest and see how long you last trying to get to your final rep count! If you lockout at top of bench you can hold it forever! If you use medium to heavy weight and stop before lockout, notice you'll start to shake! You have one decision to make.
Either quit or do another rep! Your elbows actually act as a rack when you lock it out. I only lockout at comps.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^^^^^ I think many (including me) misinterpreted your statement about full ROM. I agree about locking out on bench; my lats disengage and I get loose.

I thought, initially, you were advocating less ROM at the BOTTOM, which I'd argue vehemently against, ESPECIALLY squatting.

Nobody will ever convince me that 1/2 or 3/4 reps in the squat are superior in any way, regardless of height.

In summation...don't use height as an excuse. Go full ROM at the bottom.

broken bottle

broken bottle

Awards
^^^^^^^^ I think many (including me) misinterpreted your statement about full ROM. I agree about locking out on bench; my lats disengage and I get loose.

I thought, initially, you were advocating less ROM at the BOTTOM, which I'd argue vehemently against, ESPECIALLY squatting.

Nobody will ever convince me that 1/2 or 3/4 reps in the squat are superior in any way, regardless of height.

A squat is hip crease below knee. Always.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Right. If someone says to me they don;t do full ROM, I instantly think partials ala Justa or along those lines.

Right, me either. I tried it with deads. Especially if you are training for a meet squat or dead also. Partials might be okay "along with" fuller ROM, ie: like pin pulls from below knees, but as I said earlier, if I could get stronger thru an entire ROM just doing 1/2 the ROM, why would I do fuller moves? And there would be plenty of books on it by now, if someone really proved you could.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established

Absolutely correct! You got exactly what I meant! No I don't advocate 3/4 for squatting or Deads! All else I do how I want! I also train unconventional than most and look every bit of a Defensive End at 40 {today, Happy Birthday}! Height is no excuse! It looks massive on a larger frame once you get them muscles growing!

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
Right. If someone says to me they don;t do full ROM, I instantly think partials ala Justa or along those lines.

Right, me either. I tried it with deads. Especially if you are training for a meet squat or dead also. Partials might be okay "along with" fuller ROM, ie: like pin pulls from below knees, but as I said earlier, if I could get stronger thru an entire ROM just doing 1/2 the ROM, why would I do fuller moves? And there would be plenty of books on it by now, if someone really proved you could.
That's cool do what you want to do but this is why I continue to grow and stay big while others remain the same year after year because they rely on BOOKS and Proof! I'm a walking example of it. How many people do you knew who would Bench 3 days it even four days a week! I even know how to work out twice a week and still maintain my size and get bigger! I don't need to though! I'm 6'5" @ 352!

To be honest all you have to do I'd focus on three main lifts! These books got people gased that you have to hit this body part two times a week or change your routine weekly, REALLY? This is what your books tell you!

I can focus and grow on three exercises and not change a thing! I don't do half the exercises people do in the gym because they don't matter unless your a bodybuilder! The average joe complains they want size! On these boards people are taking AAS and taking this drug and that drug!

If you focus in Squat:Bench:Dead, Monday:Wrdneaday:Friday and add 5lbd to each lift week after week for a year where do you stand. 782lbs on your total! For science sake lets say you failed a few weeks and only added
500 to a three lift best of 250/250/250. Where do you stand: 1250. How people on these boards has a 1250 total! But they will spend day in day out trying to figure out how to do it in two months! This is with no additional drugs but NUMBERS! We aren't even talking about the fact that one part of your body may excel and get more explosive during this course! How do I know this works because I did it! In a year in a half my dead went from 405 to a competition lift of 565! I did it through three workouts A week focus and resting!

When you get stronger you have to get bigger! Again, keep Doug your full ROM and looking for proof and ill continue to keep up my 3/4 reps and competing.

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hokie no one is saying you are doing is wrong. You are doing what works for you. And that's what everyone should be doing... Whatever works for them! :)

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Interesting views, Full ROM equate to the most balanced and fuller looking physique. Shorter ROM allows for more power depending if your stimulating the muscle belly. I say its great to do both. Everyone has those days when ya just want to throw heavy stuff around and ROM and form pay our egos pricetag. Just my opinion and having more limb to work with cant be your excuse. Just get it done lol

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How do I know this works because I did it! In a year in a half my dead went from 405 to a competition lift of 565! I did it through three workouts A week focus and resting!
If you did that without pulling from the floor or without full ROM, that is certainly great. What is you best squat and what depth or how do you train it?
I am over 50, drug free for life (I don't even use a belt actually) and have made my best gains in pulls this last year with over #600+.
I know I could have never got there without full ROM and even some deficit work, since I have pulled #800 off the top pins, but it does not translate to the floor for me.
I also know a gent who at a BW of #181 has moved #1000 a 1/2" off the pins at top, but only pulls #505 or so from floor.
Just sayin.

When you get stronger you have to get bigger!
Well, I see what you are saying, but it is quite possible to get stronger in 1RM without adding much if any mass for a bit, depending on where you are with heavy singles and your CNS work.

HokiePride

HokiePride

Awards
  • Established
If you did that without pulling from the floor or without full ROM, that is certainly great. What is you best squat and what depth or how do you train it?
I am over 50, drug free for life (I don't even use a belt actually) and have made my best gains in pulls this last year with over #600+.
I know I could have never got there without full ROM and even some deficit work, since I have pulled #800 off the top pins, but it does not translate to the floor for me.
I also know a gent who at a BW of #181 has moved #1000 a 1/2" off the pins at top, but only pulls #505 or so from floor.
Just sayin.

Well, I see what you are saying, but it is quite possible to get stronger in 1RM without adding much if any mass for a bit, depending on where you are with heavy singles and your CNS work.
Didn't you read I did it with full ROM ON SQUAT AND Dead. Yes, a year and a half is what it took PULLING FROM THE FLOOR and in competition. Recorded on YouTube. I just don't do full ROM ON EVERYTHING ELSE.

FyI, the program I cycled throughout that time to bring up my dead two years ago was called TWELVE WEEKS TO A BETTER DEADLIFT on Tnation. In month 1 it's Rack pulls and other work, 3'workouts total in a week. Month 2. Emphasis a 10:1:1 Deadlift full ROM. 10 second decent then lift. month 3 is when you actually pull. So no my dead hasn't reached 600 because I only started working on it 2 years ago and pulled 565 in Competition.

Drug free as well. Never taken anabolics or pro hormones! I don't even know why you made the reference, wow! Thanks for assuming!

Guess what I must know too much since my total is @ 1500. I'm done I'm not here to argue or attest to what works for everyone. I have videos to prove what I've done and how I did it. I have a lot of mass, regardless of what you or anyone else believes! I'm done here and good luck with all your goals as well as OP. this is why I hate giving input everyone else wants to speak about someone else or what they do more! I love seeing all the smaller guy who throw around I'm 180 or 220. Well i don't look like the average 352lb guy @ 6'5" and can do pull ups, hanging leg raises and bodyweight overhead tricep curls. Look not the biggest, strongest or fastest but I'm better than me yesterday, doing it at 40. Instead of going back and forth ill keep to my own logs and retain what i learned and what i do that works for me. That's all that matters! Bye!

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Didn't you read I did it with full ROM ON SQUAT AND Dead. Yes, a year and a half is what it took PULLING FROM THE FLOOR and in competition. Recorded on YouTube. I just don't do full ROM ON EVERYTHING ELSE.
Sorry I missed that part.
Not sure why you think I was disputing or arguing your lifts. I was not.Just was asking what your routines and or specific set ups were.
I never assumed you were using either!?!? I said it of myself, since most everyone after hearing what I am still doing, does not believe i am not using.
Take care big guy...!

S

spendingdinar

Awards
I appreciate a full ROM but if that full ROM is uncomfortable you have to do what allows you to continue doing that exercise

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You guys wanna see some full range of motion? Here's me (at a height of 6FOOT****ING9) deadlifting 415!

[video=youtube;jIZG8PDT8Ds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIZG8PDT8Ds[/video]

S

spendingdinar

Awards
that amazing, im 6'4 and I hate doing standard deadlift sumo is alright with me though

DJBeanPole

DJBeanPole

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
that amazing, im 6'4 and I hate doing standard deadlift sumo is alright with me though
Standard (and very narrow) deadlift is all I've ever known! I love them though... favorite lift.