how much can you grow? - AnabolicMinds.com

how much can you grow?

1. New Member

how much can you grow?

I did a search but came up confused. I was into powerlifting years ago, reached 250 pounds with plenty of fat. After years away from it I am getting in shape again. In the past 18 months my biceps have gone from 15 1/4 to 17 1/8. I put on 10 pounds and I am now 230 pounds with some fat. I really don't want to weigh more and want to drop some fat. As a natural bodybuilder how much more growth can one expect after such a spurt.

2. New Member

You have given minimal details you would be better off posting more details so people can help like height, body fat%, age, diet & training.
  3. New Member

Ok. More info, 5'10'', 30% bodyfat, 12 mo of weight training 2-3x/wk. Every 6-8 weeks I change my program from volume to POF, or heavy duty. I think clarifying my question could also help. What is considered large natural biceps?
    •   

4. New Member

Also my diet is around 2000cal with approx 80g carbs, 8 hours sleep, supplement ZMA and Vit D3, and post workout protein is 30g.
  5. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by makingwaves
    Ok. More info, 5'10'', 30% bodyfat, 12 mo of weight training 2-3x/wk. Every 6-8 weeks I change my program from volume to POF, or heavy duty. I think clarifying my question could also help. What is considered large natural biceps?
    As for what is considered large biceps I couldn't give you an accurate answer but at 30% body fat I would focus on getting that number down, when you lean up your biceps are going to look more muscular anyway and genetics would play a big part when it comes to the difference in biceps. For example my friend won't lift as heavy as I do, we both have similar diet and lifestyle but his biceps definitely look a heap bigger then mine do.

When you lean up you will definitely see more shape in the muscle which may give the appearance of a bigger biceps then you currently have.
  6. New Member

Maybe try some HIIT 3times a week and get your BCAAS which will help preserve muscle while you lower you BF.

Once you get down to your ideal BF then go for a lean bulk.

I have recently changed my diet and implemented HIIT 3-4 times a week and I am seeing great results over the last 3-4 weeks. It's amazing what a healthy eating plan will do when consistent.
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.

Get your bodyfat% down. Leaning out should be your goal before trying to put on more mass. After that you could try to put on more weight but I wouldn't go over 15% or so
  8. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by makingwaves View Post
    I did a search but came up confused. I was into powerlifting years ago, reached 250 pounds with plenty of fat. After years away from it I am getting in shape again. In the past 18 months my biceps have gone from 15 1/4 to 17 1/8. I put on 10 pounds and I am now 230 pounds with some fat. I really don't want to weigh more and want to drop some fat. As a natural bodybuilder how much more growth can one expect after such a spurt.
    I hear ya, I'm in a similar position. I am working on leaning out, currently sitting at about 20% bf. It's easy to get confused on what's important, I'm just trying to stick to the basics, nailing down the diet is number one for sure.
    Progress leads to success.
  9. New Member

Thanks, I have been trying to get 240g protein daily. Using "lose it" to track and I am way off. I realize now that my diet has sucked much worse than I comprehended. No soda, chips, French fries, fast food, for months at a time just doesn't cut it. I also know why I could lose 25 pounds and keep same bf% and shape.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by makingwaves View Post
    Thanks, I have been trying to get 240g protein daily. Using "lose it" to track and I am way off. I realize now that my diet has sucked much worse than I comprehended. No soda, chips, French fries, fast food, for months at a time just doesn't cut it. I also know why I could lose 25 pounds and keep same bf% and shape.
    Quest bars, paleo diet. You need to workout at least 4 days a week and do cardio after you workout. You don't need that much protein either. Lower your calorie intake and if you have a deficit from calories taken to calories burned you'll start dropping a lot of bf.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  145 lbs.

Most studies PROVE that it's hard to gain more then 5-7 pounds of MUSCLE in a year. I'd say 5-7 lbs every 12 months is pretty accurate. Again even natural supplements may add another pound or two in that year. But for a natural lifter when Everything is done PERFECT you might gain a lean 7-8 pounds. Strength gains are usually a lot more noticeable before size. don't let the magazines fool you like (mark walbergs 30 lb gain in 6 months ALL NATURAL for his new movie) that's called bull ****. That will pass by as believable for everyday viewers but not for the world of lifting it can't fool us
  12. New Member

30% bodyfat is a lot for a dude, your arm measurements will be squewed by this much fat....as for what is a big arm, 17 in arms on a guy 5'9" to 5"10" is big, but if they are bloated and puffy and look like a fat ladies arm when you flex then that doesnt really count....I would diet down to 12- 14% bodyfat, then what ever your arm size is will likely be a muscular looking arm. I would rather have hard muscular 16inch arms than 18 inch blob arms any day.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by flamini View Post
    Most studies PROVE that it's hard to gain more then 5-7 pounds of MUSCLE in a year. I'd say 5-7 lbs every 12 months is pretty accurate. Again even natural supplements may add another pound or two in that year. But for a natural lifter when Everything is done PERFECT you might gain a lean 7-8 pounds. Strength gains are usually a lot more noticeable before size. don't let the magazines fool you like (mark walbergs 30 lb gain in 6 months ALL NATURAL for his new movie) that's called bull ****. That will pass by as believable for everyday viewers but not for the world of lifting it can't fool us
    What studies? Can you identify a few? I'd like to read them. Thx.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM
  2. How much can you absorb in one meal?
    By SoCo4Fun in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 12:51 AM
  3. How much can you bench?
    By dynomite in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 12:29 PM