Shoulder pain

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.1%

Shoulder pain

My dad is 46 years old and is experiencing shoulder pain and he is convinced that he will never be able to do heavy weight on bench press again. 2 months ago his max was 335 and he was doing well but he started to feel shoulder pain and so he quit lifting for two months. What exercises and stretches can he do to help? His goal is 350 and I think he can get it but he is convinced it will never happen.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.12%

There are a bunch of band exercises that he can do to help strengthen the shoulder and there are some where no weight or resistance is needed. I have had my fair share of shoulder problems and had to do a bunch of therapy work. I would post the link to a bunch but im not able to post the link. Do a search on shoulder strengthening exercises. Hope this helps a little bit.
    Broser Built Athlete www.broserbuilt.com
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.22%

Look up/google shoulder rehab exercises, jobe exercises (Dr. Jobe), rotator cuff excercises, internal/external rotations, empty cans, thum up bent laterals, shoulder band exercises, shoulder stretches, and especially the SLEEPER STRETCH.
    PREMIUM NUTRACEUTICALS (PNI) REP/ATHLETE
    BROSER BUILT REP/ATHLETE
    LET ME HELP YOU BY SETTING UP A DIET/TRAINING PROGRAM TO REACH YOUR GOALS! INBOX ME
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.97%

Quote Originally Posted by patesal1 View Post
    My dad is 46 years old and is experiencing shoulder pain and he is convinced that he will never be able to do heavy weight on bench press again. 2 months ago his max was 335 and he was doing well but he started to feel shoulder pain and so he quit lifting for two months. What exercises and stretches can he do to help? His goal is 350 and I think he can get it but he is convinced it will never happen.
    My other question would be...Does he have the pain with other movements? OH Press's/Side LAterals. Just curious because of my past r/c surgeries??
    PNI REP

5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.64%

Might wanna get an MRI. The labrum is the most common ligament tear. If it is torn they can repair it in surgery. I had the surgery a few years back. Alot of people have torn labrums and don't even know and continue to hurt it without getting medical attention.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.1%

Quote Originally Posted by tank316 View Post
    My other question would be...Does he have the pain with other movements? OH Press's/Side LAterals. Just curious because of my past r/c surgeries??
    He says yeah he has some pain when he does any shoulders
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.1%

Quote Originally Posted by liftandeat View Post
    Might wanna get an MRI. The labrum is the most common ligament tear. If it is torn they can repair it in surgery. I had the surgery a few years back. Alot of people have torn labrums and don't even know and continue to hurt it without getting medical attention.
    He doesn't want surgery that's why he thinks he needs to stop benching
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.97%

Quote Originally Posted by patesal1 View Post
    He doesn't want surgery that's why he thinks he needs to stop benching
    I made something like this with hard styrofoam for myself after my surgeries
    http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...d=293&pid=5804

I'm back to benching, parked my ego, lol, started using lighter wts, slower tempos.
    PNI REP

9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.22%

Great advice from Tank. I need shoulder surgery, but can't justify it. I can still press some impressive weights and if I do my warm-ups/stretches religiously I can control the pain. There are days/nights I have trouble doing simple things and even sleeping, but I just can't justify surgery if I have more good days than bad days.

I think he should see a massotherapist. Look into a therapy called Rossiter (sp?). I had some done on me this summer. VERY VERY painful. Doing Rossiter + Deep Tissue massage my shoulders felt great. Yes, there are still structural damage there, but with the therapies, warm-up/pre-hab exercises, and stretching I felt well enough to go strong. I also opted to not bench or to bench only at the end of my workout when I'm totally warm-up and with lighter weight. INcline movements do'nt bother me and DB's usually don't either.
    BROSER BUILT REP/ATHLETE
    LET ME HELP YOU BY SETTING UP A DIET/TRAINING PROGRAM TO REACH YOUR GOALS! INBOX ME
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.1%

Quote Originally Posted by tank316 View Post
    I made something like this with hard styrofoam for myself after my surgeries]

I'm back to benching, parked my ego, lol, started using lighter wts, slower tempos.
    That looks like an awesome idea! Ill talk to him about it tonight
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.72%

I had the same thing. I went to the doc and it turns out that i was born without my anterior inferior hemoglumeral ligament. Its a condition found in 2% of the population. All you need to do is strengthen the other muscles in the rotator cuff. Simple light weight rotation exercises will help. And start from the bottom and restart on bench. Like restart. And build it up from there. Sometimes you have to take 2 steps back to take 3 steps forward.
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.97%

Quote Originally Posted by brendan808 View Post
    I had the same thing. I went to the doc and it turns out that i was born without my anterior inferior hemoglumeral ligament. Its a condition found in 2% of the population. All you need to do is strengthen the other muscles in the rotator cuff. Simple light weight rotation exercises will help. And start from the bottom and restart on bench. Like restart. And build it up from there. Sometimes you have to take 2 steps back to take 3 steps forward.
    I work a lot with with HS athletes in the surrrounding area, and I stress the importance of rotator excercise, very key to staying healthy!
    lot of truth behind your comment, 2 steps back, 3 ahead!!!
    PNI REP

13. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.03%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

What is the typical recovery time of a labrum tear if its operated on? How long does it take to recover to the point of lifting heavy again? Anyone feel free to jump in on this.
    "Dynamic Trio's Superior Third"
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.64%

Quote Originally Posted by R3ACTION

What is the typical recovery time of a labrum tear if its operated on? How long does it take to recover to the point of lifting heavy again? Anyone feel free to jump in on this.
    I didn't touch a weight for 4 months. Ligaments are the worst.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.03%

I didn't touch a weight for 4 months. Ligaments are the worst.
    Damn.....
  16. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.74%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

That is some heavy weight for sure. I think I would go with some band exercises for your dad that would be the best.
    I think that there are some great ones out there that include band stretches and strength exercises for your dad that
    would be great for him. If the pain persists I would suggest that your dad see a doctor to get some pain meds to help
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.97%

Treatment

Labral injuries can be diagnosed by physical examination but commonly require further testing, such as an MRI with contrast, to fully appreciate the tear. Care of these tears is determined by the extent of problems caused by them. Constant pain or pain with specific overhead activities, is common with superior labral lesions known as SLAP lesions. Shoulder instability or recurrent dislocations are common with anterior and posterior labral injuries.
    Non-operative
    Conservative care to eliminate pain and restore motion is the first step in labral tear treatment. Strengthening the peri-scapular muscles as well as the rotator cuff muscles is then begun. Depending on the size and location of the tear this is often successful. Anti-inflammatories and relative rest are usually recommended in this type of treatment.
    Alternative Treatment Options

Operative
    When conservative treatment fails surgical repair can be performed. Large tears usually require surgery to enable a return of shoulder function. This is especially so with anterior labral tears which occur in association with shoulder dislocations. The repair of the labrum in this case allows the appropriate tensioning of the anterior ligaments which consequently will lead to a stabilization of the shoulder. Superior labral tears (SLAP tears) will cause persistent problems in overhead athletes and are commonly treated surgically. These tears can only be treated arthroscopically. Anterior labral tears can be fixed arthroscopically or through open procedures.

I copied and paste this from my doc who did my shoulders. Tank.
    PNI REP

18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.03%

Today I went in for full MRI results. What they initially thought was a labrum tear is a cyst. They aren't worried about it but want to start PT for the scapula winging and get a separate MRI on the scapula. The only lifts which cause pain are flat and incline bench, no loss of strength or movement in any other area.
  19. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  255 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.97%

Quote Originally Posted by R3ACTION View Post
    Today I went in for full MRI results. What they initially thought was a labrum tear is a cyst. They aren't worried about it but want to start PT for the scapula winging and get a separate MRI on the scapula. The only lifts which cause pain are flat and incline bench, no loss of strength or movement in any other area.
    Hope it all works out for you!!!
    PNI REP

20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.22%

Good luck. I hae a cyst in mine as well. Keep us posted. I also have tearing and some other problems, but I'm interested in how they PT your shoulder in relation to the cyst. May see if I can get some pointers from you!

Do you have popping and catching in your shoulder from the cyst?
    BROSER BUILT REP/ATHLETE
  21. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.68%

Dendrobium is a product that improve total body health. This is a product that is good for all body problems including body pain , heart health, stomach and kidney problem. You can use this product for your dad as well. I think this will definitely help him. And must try some basic shoulder exercise that will be also beneficial.
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%

No one has addressed any imbalances yet really. The bands and rehab exercises are good, as mentioned earlier, but he may also want to work on some heavier pulls to even out the shoulder. Just physically checking to see if his shoulders are rolled forward / other poor posture signs can show a need to focus more on developing the rear delt and upper back. If he's only focused on bench, this is a very likely issue...
  23. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  247 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.34%

google shoulder mobility exercises I myself suffered from some shoulder discomfort and some light weight movements and stretching sorted that out

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pullups and Shoulder Pain
    By oldfart in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 11:18 AM
  2. shoulder pain after 6months??
    By Warhead_321 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
  3. Shoulder pain
    By hypo in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7