Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%

Chest wont grow!! Help!!

So I've been training nearly a year now steady, and on and off in the earlier years, I've gained 25-30 pounds in this partial year btw. I have a few lagging muscles to isolate but my chest hasn't grown in months. I've tried low weight high reps12-15, heavy weight mid reps 8-10, on exercises including : flat db press, incline db press, cable flies, chest dips and some chest press machine on rare occasion. I have a strong diet , not clean, have been on a bulk since i was 6'1 143pds, now 6'1 170 and everything's been coming in strong but my chest. Anybody ran into this problem? Can anyone help?

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.2%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Have you gotten significantly stronger or are your weights about the same?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Have you gotten significantly stronger or are your weights about the same?
    Yes I've went up in all u presses 40 pounds in the last... Say... 2 months?

So db's from 30's to 45-50's
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.2%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by GoGetSwole View Post
    Dips? For whatever reason, these get lost in the shuffle.

Also, what's your current max on flat and incline BB?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%

Dips? For whatever reason, these get lost in the shuffle.

Also, what's your current max on flat and incline BB?
    Yep I do dips, not weighted though just body weight. And I haven't been able to do bb because my gym partner went to prison so I've only been comfortable with db, is that a problem?
  6. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.2%

Yep I do dips, not weighted though just body weight. And I haven't been able to do bb because my gym partner went to prison so I've only been comfortable with db, is that a problem?
    Taking out an entire group of exercises is a major problem.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%

Taking out an entire group of exercises is a major problem.
    Well I do db press incline and flat does that not target basically the same besides incorporating stabilizing muscle parts?
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.2%

Well I do db press incline and flat does that not target basically the same besides incorporating stabilizing muscle parts?
    There's different techniques and overload applied to the muscle with BB compared to DB.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%

There's different techniques and overload applied to the muscle with BB compared to DB.
    So your idea for me to grow bigger chest is what? From what im getting from it: Incorporate db incline and flat 3-4 sets each AND bb incline and flat 3-4 sets each, every chest day?
  10. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.2%

So your idea for me to grow bigger chest is what? From what im getting from it: Incorporate db incline and flat 3-4 sets each AND bb incline and flat 3-4 sets each, every chest day?
    Considering you're not doing any BB movements, start there.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%

Considering you're not doing any BB movements, start there.
    Sounds good. I'll try out 3-4 sets of incline and flat bb press next chest workout (72hours). Then switch back and forth from bb/db every other workout? Sound solid? Or should I just hit the bb for awhile?
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.2%

Sounds good. I'll try out 3-4 sets of incline and flat bb press next chest workout (72hours). Then switch back and forth from bb/db every other workout? Sound solid? Or should I just hit the bb for awhile?
    Do both in each session. I see no purpose in having a strictly BB or DB workout (outside of rehabbing an injury).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.97%

Make sure to squeeze the **** out of your chest at the top of the movement when lifting. Really get a good contraction. Also make sure to do slow negatives.
    William Llewellyn's Anabolics, Underground Anabolics, and SSRG ebook editions!
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    43.71%

What has helped me is pinching my shoulder blades back as I bench. A lot of people overlook that technique.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.2%

Quote Originally Posted by rsnake21 View Post
    What has helped me is pinching my shoulder blades back as I bench. A lot of people overlook that technique.
    That's because most people don't know how to bench properly and safely.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

That's because most people don't know how to bench properly and safely.
    lol way too true. how many pts suggest flat back and curved shoulders? too many

and btw op, dont stop the bb movements because your partner is gone now. lots of us train alone and still do those "dangerous" exercise. think about it, at worse someone will run over and get it off you if it was that bad
  17. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

So db's from 30's to 45-50's
    I just want to add on top of what Rodja said that if those are what you are doing for flat or decline bench with DBs, its not a ton of weight still. so although your pecs probably are growing, they just aren't growing as much as you'd like them to vs not growing at all. That is still a weight point where i'd be surprised if you did have big pecs. So incorporate the barbell, and be patient. the pecs aren't such a super visible in growth muscle as a quad or tricep
  18. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.09%

Get ur mind/muscle connection going...r u getting a pump in ur chest when doing bench dips whatev chest exercise ur doing? Sum people iv trained had trouble actually feeling there chest being worked, got more shoulders and tri's than chest...had them stop worrying bout reps and had them concentrate on time under tension for hypertrophy, really focusing on squeezing and contracting the targeted muscle rather than just repping it out. Might take sum time but u should b feeling it more n more...that helped my guys.
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.91%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

When I first started training chest. I very seldom felt my pecs engage. I did Flat,inclin e decline, barbell dumbbell you name it.It wasnt until I started incorporating hammer machine chest press. For some reason after that 1 exercise. I felt my pecs. After Months of this, I c an now feel my pecs engage in every chest exercise

RECOVERBRO

20. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.97%

Quote Originally Posted by chitown58 View Post
    Get ur mind/muscle connection going...r u getting a pump in ur chest when doing bench dips whatev chest exercise ur doing? Sum people iv trained had trouble actually feeling there chest being worked, got more shoulders and tri's than chest...had them stop worrying bout reps and had them concentrate on time under tension for hypertrophy, really focusing on squeezing and contracting the targeted muscle rather than just repping it out. Might take sum time but u should b feeling it more n more...that helped my guys.
    Great post.
    William Llewellyn's Anabolics, Underground Anabolics, and SSRG ebook editions!
  21. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

just my 2 cents, I stopped doing barbell incline and bench and my chest has grown with jsut using DBs. I hate using barbell, I cant go as big as I want too and I really dislike barbell bench for some reason. But i prefer dbs as well. I feel like it hits my chest harder than BB every could
  22. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%

I realized my form was off a bit. I wasn't pinning back and had my shoulders off the bench. Also started barbell benching and my chest feels tight and swole. Thanks for the advice brahs
  23. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.15%

6'1" 170lbs and only hitting max 50lbs dumbbells? Lol weak dude. Im 5'10" and even during my cut 157lbs im repping out 80lbs dumbbells... . Try putting up some real weights and you'll grow.
    You are your own maker. Train dirty.
  24. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kdeome
    6'1" 170lbs and only hitting max 50lbs dumbbells? Lol weak dude. Im 5'10" and even during my cut 157lbs im repping out 80lbs dumbbells... . Try putting up some real weights and you'll grow.
    :O.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  25. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  186 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.55%

If your shoulder mobility is good, you might want to try Gironda dips.
    I've had great success with them.
    Good luck
    Peace
  26. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.49%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

What is this, Bbing.com?

Its learn, teach, lead not bash, defame, degrade.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042
  27. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

and youre 157kbs, i havnt seen that weight since 9th grade. go back to bb.com with the flame, 80lbs aint something to brag about
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.15%

Lol 157lbs, 11% bodyfat and ive never touched a PH. You were 157lbs in 9th grade and 5 foot something? How fat were you?

And as far as bragging? Hardly. But take it as you will. My size doing 80lb dumbbells for 10 reps on my 3rd set, not bad. My point was his weights are light, and if doesnt lift heavier and further challenge his pecs- he's not going to grow. I didn't know i was supposed to spoon feed him.
  29. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.2%

Quote Originally Posted by kdeome View Post
    Lol 157lbs, 11% bodyfat and ive never touched a PH. You were 157lbs in 9th grade and 5 foot something? How fat were you?
    Take you prepubescent attitude elsewhere. 157lbs is TINY even for most HS kids so don't act like you're accomplished and a badass.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  30. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Take you prepubescent attitude elsewhere. 157lbs is TINY even for most HS kids so don't act like you're accomplished and a badass.
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  31. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'6"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.45%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

This thread just got live!
    MYOKEM ATHLETE & REP
    BJOHNSON15 @MYOKEM.COM FOR 15% OFF

PSALMS 62:1- 62:2
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.15%

easy big guy. I guess that everyone in my ***** ass school was small too. 160 in 9th grade isnt tiny

I missed the post where i said how badass and accomplished i was, but hell, this IS the internet afterall.
  33. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'8"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.23%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

And as far as bragging? Hardly. But take it as you will. My size doing 80lb dumbbells for 10 reps on my 3rd set, not bad. My point was his weights are light, and if doesnt lift heavier and further challenge his pecs- he's not going to grow. I didn't know i was supposed to spoon feed him.
    My friends 140 and does 85 lbs db's incline o_0. This is going to be a fun thread .
  34. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.52%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

157lbs of school boy bitch! I'll rep out 80lb dumbells with my dick. tool
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  35. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.15%

sorry i got everyone all worked up this evening.

OP: I'm a skinny *** who cant lift, ignore my comment to lift heavier.

:*
  37. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.2%

easy big guy. I guess that everyone in my ***** ass school was small too. 160 in 9th grade isnt tiny

I missed the post where i said how badass and accomplished i was, but hell, this IS the internet afterall.
    160lbs in 9th is average, at best. Your attitude comes off as though it is amazing that you can rep 80lbs on DBs and acting as though you know what it actually takes to grow when you're the size of a figure skater.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  38. AnabolicMinds Site Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  199 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

Moving weight is good but there's bigger pictures @ play:

1) Diet in order 90% of the time.
    2) Dedication. (Drive, determination)
    3) Form.

If a person has those in order verses a person just hitting heavy weights, I'd put my money on the person moving lighter weights with the 3 points above totally in check.
    Just my .02.
    ANABOLIC MINDS SITE REP
  39. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.15%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    160lbs in 9th is average, at best. Your attitude comes off as though it is amazing that you can rep 80lbs on DBs and acting as though you know what it actually takes to grow when you're the size of a figure skater.
    Like i said, not for me/my area. Not to fuel the fire but yea, i was very thin in highschool. I graduated at 125lbs. At my largest bulk i was 165lbs (a couple months ago) and my max barbell bench (flat) was 275. Ive been lifting for 2 years this winter, but seriously(ish) for the last 8 months.

I have a very fast metabolism so packing on size is a slow process. I dont drink protein shakes and my diet is mediocre at best.

Now you know me. Im a skinny weak bitch and dont know ****.
  40. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37.49%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Like i said, not for me/my area. Not to fuel the fire but yea, i was very thin in highschool. I graduated at 125lbs. At my largest bulk i was 165lbs (a couple months ago) and my max barbell bench (flat) was 275. Ive been lifting for 2 years this winter, but seriously(ish) for the last 8 months.

I have a very fast metabolism so packing on size is a slow process. I dont drink protein shakes and my diet is mediocre at best.

Now you know me. Im a skinny weak bitch and dont know ****.
    Strong attitude. Are you sure you graduated High School? Because you act as though you're in middle school.

There's nothing wrong with lifting more weight but its not about numbers its about effort. You're problem is not advising someone to lift for strength, rather your "holier than thou" attitude while doing it. This is not bbing.com and people expect to learn without being flamed. Not everyone has the same goals/genetics/background/experience and you would do well to learn that.
    Body Performance Solutions Representative

Check out our products at www.bpsnutrition.net
    Check out our FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Body-Performance-Solutions/191322614238042

Similar Forum Threads

1. Chest wont grow no matter what i do!!!
    By Madooo in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 01:36 AM
  2. Tall+Chest exercises = need help
    By Reverin in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 05:57 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 10:55 PM
  4. Chest Pain please help
    By SrT4u2Nv in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6