Chest wont grow!! Help!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Chest wont grow!! Help!!


    So I've been training nearly a year now steady, and on and off in the earlier years, I've gained 25-30 pounds in this partial year btw. I have a few lagging muscles to isolate but my chest hasn't grown in months. I've tried low weight high reps12-15, heavy weight mid reps 8-10, on exercises including : flat db press, incline db press, cable flies, chest dips and some chest press machine on rare occasion. I have a strong diet , not clean, have been on a bulk since i was 6'1 143pds, now 6'1 170 and everything's been coming in strong but my chest. Anybody ran into this problem? Can anyone help?


  2. Have you gotten significantly stronger or are your weights about the same?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  3. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Have you gotten significantly stronger or are your weights about the same?
    Yes I've went up in all u presses 40 pounds in the last... Say... 2 months?

    So db's from 30's to 45-50's
    •   
       


  4. Quote Originally Posted by GoGetSwole View Post
    Yes I've went up in all u presses 40 pounds in the last... Say... 2 months?
    Dips? For whatever reason, these get lost in the shuffle.

    Also, what's your current max on flat and incline BB?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  5. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Dips? For whatever reason, these get lost in the shuffle.

    Also, what's your current max on flat and incline BB?
    Yep I do dips, not weighted though just body weight. And I haven't been able to do bb because my gym partner went to prison so I've only been comfortable with db, is that a problem?

  6. Quote Originally Posted by GoGetSwole View Post
    Yep I do dips, not weighted though just body weight. And I haven't been able to do bb because my gym partner went to prison so I've only been comfortable with db, is that a problem?
    Taking out an entire group of exercises is a major problem.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  7. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Taking out an entire group of exercises is a major problem.
    Well I do db press incline and flat does that not target basically the same besides incorporating stabilizing muscle parts?

  8. Quote Originally Posted by GoGetSwole View Post
    Well I do db press incline and flat does that not target basically the same besides incorporating stabilizing muscle parts?
    There's different techniques and overload applied to the muscle with BB compared to DB.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  9. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    There's different techniques and overload applied to the muscle with BB compared to DB.
    So your idea for me to grow bigger chest is what? From what im getting from it: Incorporate db incline and flat 3-4 sets each AND bb incline and flat 3-4 sets each, every chest day?

  10. Quote Originally Posted by GoGetSwole View Post
    So your idea for me to grow bigger chest is what? From what im getting from it: Incorporate db incline and flat 3-4 sets each AND bb incline and flat 3-4 sets each, every chest day?
    Considering you're not doing any BB movements, start there.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  11. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Considering you're not doing any BB movements, start there.
    Sounds good. I'll try out 3-4 sets of incline and flat bb press next chest workout (72hours). Then switch back and forth from bb/db every other workout? Sound solid? Or should I just hit the bb for awhile?

  12. Quote Originally Posted by GoGetSwole View Post
    Sounds good. I'll try out 3-4 sets of incline and flat bb press next chest workout (72hours). Then switch back and forth from bb/db every other workout? Sound solid? Or should I just hit the bb for awhile?
    Do both in each session. I see no purpose in having a strictly BB or DB workout (outside of rehabbing an injury).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  13. Make sure to squeeze the **** out of your chest at the top of the movement when lifting. Really get a good contraction. Also make sure to do slow negatives.
    William Llewellyn's Anabolics, Underground Anabolics, and SSRG ebook editions!

  14. What has helped me is pinching my shoulder blades back as I bench. A lot of people overlook that technique.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by rsnake21 View Post
    What has helped me is pinching my shoulder blades back as I bench. A lot of people overlook that technique.
    That's because most people don't know how to bench properly and safely.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  16. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    That's because most people don't know how to bench properly and safely.
    lol way too true. how many pts suggest flat back and curved shoulders? too many

    and btw op, dont stop the bb movements because your partner is gone now. lots of us train alone and still do those "dangerous" exercise. think about it, at worse someone will run over and get it off you if it was that bad
  17. Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by GoGetSwole View Post
    Yes I've went up in all u presses 40 pounds in the last... Say... 2 months?

    So db's from 30's to 45-50's
    I just want to add on top of what Rodja said that if those are what you are doing for flat or decline bench with DBs, its not a ton of weight still. so although your pecs probably are growing, they just aren't growing as much as you'd like them to vs not growing at all. That is still a weight point where i'd be surprised if you did have big pecs. So incorporate the barbell, and be patient. the pecs aren't such a super visible in growth muscle as a quad or tricep

  18. Get ur mind/muscle connection going...r u getting a pump in ur chest when doing bench dips whatev chest exercise ur doing? Sum people iv trained had trouble actually feeling there chest being worked, got more shoulders and tri's than chest...had them stop worrying bout reps and had them concentrate on time under tension for hypertrophy, really focusing on squeezing and contracting the targeted muscle rather than just repping it out. Might take sum time but u should b feeling it more n more...that helped my guys.

  19. When I first started training chest. I very seldom felt my pecs engage. I did Flat,inclin e decline, barbell dumbbell you name it.It wasnt until I started incorporating hammer machine chest press. For some reason after that 1 exercise. I felt my pecs. After Months of this, I c an now feel my pecs engage in every chest exercise

    RECOVERBRO



  20. Quote Originally Posted by chitown58 View Post
    Get ur mind/muscle connection going...r u getting a pump in ur chest when doing bench dips whatev chest exercise ur doing? Sum people iv trained had trouble actually feeling there chest being worked, got more shoulders and tri's than chest...had them stop worrying bout reps and had them concentrate on time under tension for hypertrophy, really focusing on squeezing and contracting the targeted muscle rather than just repping it out. Might take sum time but u should b feeling it more n more...that helped my guys.
    Great post.
    William Llewellyn's Anabolics, Underground Anabolics, and SSRG ebook editions!

  21. just my 2 cents, I stopped doing barbell incline and bench and my chest has grown with jsut using DBs. I hate using barbell, I cant go as big as I want too and I really dislike barbell bench for some reason. But i prefer dbs as well. I feel like it hits my chest harder than BB every could

  22. I realized my form was off a bit. I wasn't pinning back and had my shoulders off the bench. Also started barbell benching and my chest feels tight and swole. Thanks for the advice brahs

  23. 6'1" 170lbs and only hitting max 50lbs dumbbells? Lol weak dude. Im 5'10" and even during my cut 157lbs im repping out 80lbs dumbbells... . Try putting up some real weights and you'll grow.
    You are your own maker. Train dirty.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by kdeome
    6'1" 170lbs and only hitting max 50lbs dumbbells? Lol weak dude. Im 5'10" and even during my cut 157lbs im repping out 80lbs dumbbells... . Try putting up some real weights and you'll grow.
    :O.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  25. If your shoulder mobility is good, you might want to try Gironda dips.
    I've had great success with them.
    Good luck
    Peace

  26. Quote Originally Posted by kdeome
    6'1" 170lbs and only hitting max 50lbs dumbbells? Lol weak dude. Im 5'10" and even during my cut 157lbs im repping out 80lbs dumbbells... . Try putting up some real weights and you'll grow.
    What is this, Bbing.com?

    Its learn, teach, lead not bash, defame, degrade.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by kdeome
    6'1" 170lbs and only hitting max 50lbs dumbbells? Lol weak dude. Im 5'10" and even during my cut 157lbs im repping out 80lbs dumbbells... . Try putting up some real weights and you'll grow.
    and youre 157kbs, i havnt seen that weight since 9th grade. go back to bb.com with the flame, 80lbs aint something to brag about

  28. Lol 157lbs, 11% bodyfat and ive never touched a PH. You were 157lbs in 9th grade and 5 foot something? How fat were you?

    And as far as bragging? Hardly. But take it as you will. My size doing 80lb dumbbells for 10 reps on my 3rd set, not bad. My point was his weights are light, and if doesnt lift heavier and further challenge his pecs- he's not going to grow. I didn't know i was supposed to spoon feed him.
    You are your own maker. Train dirty.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by kdeome View Post
    Lol 157lbs, 11% bodyfat and ive never touched a PH. You were 157lbs in 9th grade and 5 foot something? How fat were you?
    Take you prepubescent attitude elsewhere. 157lbs is TINY even for most HS kids so don't act like you're accomplished and a badass.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  30. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Take you prepubescent attitude elsewhere. 157lbs is TINY even for most HS kids so don't act like you're accomplished and a badass.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  31. This thread just got live!
    Psalms 62:1-62:2
    Body Performance Solutions Rep

  32. easy big guy. I guess that everyone in my ***** ass school was small too. 160 in 9th grade isnt tiny

    I missed the post where i said how badass and accomplished i was, but hell, this IS the internet afterall.
    You are your own maker. Train dirty.

  33. Quote Originally Posted by kdeome View Post
    Lol 157lbs, 11% bodyfat and ive never touched a PH. You were 157lbs in 9th grade and 5 foot something? How fat were you?

    And as far as bragging? Hardly. But take it as you will. My size doing 80lb dumbbells for 10 reps on my 3rd set, not bad. My point was his weights are light, and if doesnt lift heavier and further challenge his pecs- he's not going to grow. I didn't know i was supposed to spoon feed him.
    My friends 140 and does 85 lbs db's incline o_0. This is going to be a fun thread .

  34. Quote Originally Posted by kdeome
    6'1" 170lbs and only hitting max 50lbs dumbbells? Lol weak dude. Im 5'10" and even during my cut 157lbs im repping out 80lbs dumbbells... . Try putting up some real weights and you'll grow.
    157lbs of school boy bitch! I'll rep out 80lb dumbells with my dick. tool
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.

  35. Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  36. sorry i got everyone all worked up this evening.

    OP: I'm a skinny *** who cant lift, ignore my comment to lift heavier.

    :*
    You are your own maker. Train dirty.

  37. Quote Originally Posted by kdeome View Post
    easy big guy. I guess that everyone in my ***** ass school was small too. 160 in 9th grade isnt tiny

    I missed the post where i said how badass and accomplished i was, but hell, this IS the internet afterall.
    160lbs in 9th is average, at best. Your attitude comes off as though it is amazing that you can rep 80lbs on DBs and acting as though you know what it actually takes to grow when you're the size of a figure skater.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  38. Moving weight is good but there's bigger pictures @ play:

    1) Diet in order 90% of the time.
    2) Dedication. (Drive, determination)
    3) Form.


    If a person has those in order verses a person just hitting heavy weights, I'd put my money on the person moving lighter weights with the 3 points above totally in check.
    Just my .02.
    Hardcore Purus Labs {Rep}
    Lift the fücking weight from the floor, or leave it on the ground. The thoughts are supposed to be daunting. The pain is meant to be tormenting.

  39. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    160lbs in 9th is average, at best. Your attitude comes off as though it is amazing that you can rep 80lbs on DBs and acting as though you know what it actually takes to grow when you're the size of a figure skater.
    Like i said, not for me/my area. Not to fuel the fire but yea, i was very thin in highschool. I graduated at 125lbs. At my largest bulk i was 165lbs (a couple months ago) and my max barbell bench (flat) was 275. Ive been lifting for 2 years this winter, but seriously(ish) for the last 8 months.

    I have a very fast metabolism so packing on size is a slow process. I dont drink protein shakes and my diet is mediocre at best.

    Now you know me. Im a skinny weak bitch and dont know ****.
    You are your own maker. Train dirty.

  40. Quote Originally Posted by kdeome

    Like i said, not for me/my area. Not to fuel the fire but yea, i was very thin in highschool. I graduated at 125lbs. At my largest bulk i was 165lbs (a couple months ago) and my max barbell bench (flat) was 275. Ive been lifting for 2 years this winter, but seriously(ish) for the last 8 months.

    I have a very fast metabolism so packing on size is a slow process. I dont drink protein shakes and my diet is mediocre at best.

    Now you know me. Im a skinny weak bitch and dont know ****.
    Strong attitude. Are you sure you graduated High School? Because you act as though you're in middle school.

    There's nothing wrong with lifting more weight but its not about numbers its about effort. You're problem is not advising someone to lift for strength, rather your "holier than thou" attitude while doing it. This is not bbing.com and people expect to learn without being flamed. Not everyone has the same goals/genetics/background/experience and you would do well to learn that.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Chest wont grow no matter what i do!!!
    By Madooo in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 01:36 AM
  2. Tall+Chest exercises = need help
    By Reverin in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 05:57 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 10:55 PM
  4. Chest Pain please help
    By SrT4u2Nv in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-11-2007, 09:07 PM
  5. Replies: 286
    Last Post: 06-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Log in
Log in