Average bench press - AnabolicMinds.com

Average bench press

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last
  1. tcombs911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    31

    Reputation

    Average bench press


    I'm pretty new to this site, and was wondering what would be the average bench press for my weight. I weigh 133 and my height is 5' 6"ish, I've been in the gym for about 2 years now. My BP max-225..DL max-325 I don't squat because I got a bad back.

  2. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tcombs911
    I'm pretty new to this site, and was wondering what would be the average bench press for my weight. I weigh 133 and my height is 5' 6"ish, I've been in the gym for about 2 years now. My BP max-225..DL max-325 I don't squat because I got a bad back.
    You don't squat due to a bad back but you DL 325?
  3. vidapreta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    5,659
    Rep Power
    3765912

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tcombs911 View Post
    I'm pretty new to this site, and was wondering what would be the average bench press for my weight. I weigh 133 and my height is 5' 6"ish, I've been in the gym for about 2 years now. My BP max-225..DL max-325 I don't squat because I got a bad back.
    If you can bench double your bodyweight then you're Real strong..And you're almost there.

    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
    •   
       

  4. Iron Warrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,328
    Rep Power
    13068

    Reputation

    Your average Joe probably has a 1:1 ratio of bench weight to body mass so you're way above the rest in that department.
  5. tcombs911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    31

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    You don't squat due to a bad back but you DL 325?
    All that weight on the shoulders really puts a strain on me lol. I just really didn't get in to squats to tell you the truth. I know it's an all around workout but I don't like it lol guess I'm weird!
  6. tcombs911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    31

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta

    If you can bench double your bodyweight then you're Real strong..And you're almost there.

    Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks a lot! All the guys I go to the gym with are HUGE! Almost all of them compete and are crazy strong! So I was wondering how I stood. 4 of the guys hold Kentucky strongman state, and national titles!
  7. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tcombs911

    All that weight on the shoulders really puts a strain on me lol. I just really didn't get in to squats to tell you the truth. I know it's an all around workout but I don't like it lol guess I'm weird!
    Almost nobody likes it bro. If you like squat day you're obviously doing it wrong. You're numbers look good, hard to tell because proper form makes a big difference and Idk what your form looks like but if you aren't squatting you're definitely doing something wrong. At this point I would just say start squatting bro, start light and work on technique because you don't want to get hurt but you really do need to squat, and eat more lol.
  8. tcombs911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    31

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    Almost nobody likes it bro. If you like squat day you're obviously doing it wrong. You're numbers look good, hard to tell because proper form makes a big difference and Idk what your form looks like but if you aren't squatting you're definitely doing something wrong. At this point I would just say start squatting bro, start light and work on technique because you don't want to get hurt but you really do need to squat, and eat more lol.
    I'll try and get a video of some form Monday so you all can help me out. Yeah I'm gonna start to squat Monday to try and build my legs up. I eat a lot just not as healthy as I should haha,
  9. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tcombs911

    I'll try and get a video of some form Monday so you all can help me out. Yeah I'm gonna start to squat Monday to try and build my legs up. I eat a lot just not as healthy as I should haha,
    Do you track macros? You probably should, I notice that people, including myself, tend to think they're eating more than they are until they start tracking it.

    Also depending on your technique your lifts may be significantly higher, or lower, than what is listed.
  10. tcombs911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    31

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    Do you track macros? You probably should, I notice that people, including myself, tend to think they're eating more than they are until they start tracking it.

    Also depending on your technique your lifts may be significantly higher, or lower, than what is listed.
    Never tracked macros before. To tell you the truth I've never even heard of it haha! I do the sumo DL and a competitive style bench press. I'll get you all a video to see what I'm doing right/wrong
  11. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tcombs911

    Never tracked macros before. To tell you the truth I've never even heard of it haha! I do the sumo DL and a competitive style bench press. I'll get you all a video to see what I'm doing right/wrong
    Have you seen elitefts so you think you can bench series?

    You can get phone apps for tracking macros and total calorie consumption. Its definitely worth doing.
  12. tcombs911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    31

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    Have you seen elitefts so you think you can bench series?

    You can get phone apps for tracking macros and total calorie consumption. Its definitely worth doing.
    I haven't saw it. I'll d/l the macro counter right now!! I'm glad I posted this on here now! Thanks guys
  13. ThunderHumper's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    my mind exploded at the squat bad back deadlift part
  14. kdeome's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Age
    26
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    13565

    Reputation

    I'm 5'10" 160lbs and my 1RM is 275... benching your body weight for reps is considered average, double your weight puts you in the top 33%
    You are your own maker. Train dirty.
  15. tcombs911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    31

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by kdeome
    I'm 5'10" 160lbs and my 1RM is 275... benching your body weight for reps is considered average, double your weight puts you in the top 33%
    Hell yeah! I'm doing a lot better then I thought then!
  16. tcombs911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    31

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    Have you seen elitefts so you think you can bench series?

    You can get phone apps for tracking macros and total calorie consumption. Its definitely worth doing.
    Wow, I downloaded the macro app. And I am really not eating enough. Just to maintain I'm suppose to eat 224g of carbs lol. Dose this app really work??
  17. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by tcombs911

    Wow, I downloaded the macro app. And I am really not eating enough. Just to maintain I'm suppose to eat 224g of carbs lol. Dose this app really work??
    It works for tracking. The calculator in there will give you a rough estimate of your calories required to maintain but depending on the one you got it may or may not let you input specific macronutrient goals.

    What I do is I use the calorie total to start and gauge my results from what I see at that level for a few weeks before I decide if I need to raise or lower total calories. You will also want to change the percentages of macros to suit your goals. Like getting 1g per lb of bw in protein and .3g per pound in fats and then fill in the rest with carbs.
  18. jimbuick's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    10,191
    Rep Power
    6705997

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by kdeome
    I'm 5'10" 160lbs and my 1RM is 275... benching your body weight for reps is considered average, double your weight puts you in the top 33%
    So you're saying 1 out of 3 people bench double their bw or more?

    Lol I feel a lot like your just making up numbers.
  19. tcombs911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    31

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbuick

    It works for tracking. The calculator in there will give you a rough estimate of your calories required to maintain but depending on the one you got it may or may not let you input specific macronutrient goals.

    What I do is I use the calorie total to start and gauge my results from what I see at that level for a few weeks before I decide if I need to raise or lower total calories. You will also want to change the percentages of macros to suit your goals. Like getting 1g per lb of bw in protein and .3g per pound in fats and then fill in the rest with carbs.
    Thanks a lot man, I was so confused I didnt know if I was suppose to eat a lot of carbs and a lot of proteins or what.
  20. Silachoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    74

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by kdeome View Post
    I'm 5'10" 160lbs and my 1RM is 275... benching your body weight for reps is considered average, double your weight puts you in the top 33%
    It could be true, but statistics like that seem kinda.....random. I mean what kinda sample population was used. I doubt there was a census survey sent out measuring bench press. Or even a survey done at a gym or something. I think these stats are more rule of thumb then real.
  21. Legacyfighter's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    975
    Rep Power
    17496

    Reputation

    Well you know that 96.82 % of statistics are made up...

    I can guarantee that nowhere near 33% of people or lifters can bench double bodyweight... Most natural raw powerlifters can't bench double bodyweight. Most non-natural raw powerlifters can't bench double their own bodyweight. In fact Daniel Greene who just broke the all time world record for raw powerlifting at 220 only benched double bodyweight AFTER cutting 30lbs for his competition. The Rhino, Stan Efferding is another one of the top raw powerlifters... he doesn't bench double bodyweight either.
    Need2 Transformation Progress http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167648-legacyfighters-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html
  22. Jiigzz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,208
    Rep Power
    3370563

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    Well you know that 96.82 % of statistics are made up...

    I can guarantee that nowhere near 33% of people or lifters can bench double bodyweight... Most natural raw powerlifters can't bench double bodyweight. Most non-natural raw powerlifters can't bench double their own bodyweight. In fact Daniel Greene who just broke the all time world record for raw powerlifting at 220 only benched double bodyweight AFTER cutting 30lbs for his competition. The Rhino, Stan Efferding is another one of the top raw powerlifters... he doesn't bench double bodyweight either.
    This.

    Btw I thought it was closer to 93.34%?
  23. tcombs911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    31

    Reputation

    Lol I've started something here haven't I?
  24. TEH253's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    Well you know that 96.82 % of statistics are made up...

    I can guarantee that nowhere near 33% of people or lifters can bench double bodyweight... Most natural raw powerlifters can't bench double bodyweight. Most non-natural raw powerlifters can't bench double their own bodyweight. In fact Daniel Greene who just broke the all time world record for raw powerlifting at 220 only benched double bodyweight AFTER cutting 30lbs for his competition. The Rhino, Stan Efferding is another one of the top raw powerlifters... he doesn't bench double bodyweight either.
    I'm 160 benching 315 easy. I can hit 320 for sure and I'm also around 9% bf.
  25. hvactech's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    9,439
    Rep Power
    2612247

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TEH253 View Post

    I'm 160 benching 315 easy. I can hit 320 for sure and I'm also around 9% bf.
    not buyin it
    LG Sciences forum representative
    www.lgsciences.com
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/company-promotions/249846-lg-sciences-would.html
  26. Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,331
    Rep Power
    2311454

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TEH253 View Post

    I'm 160 benching 315 easy. I can hit 320 for sure and I'm also around 9% bf.
    Cocky first post.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  27. herderdude's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5,591
    Rep Power
    562536

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    What's that thing Mark Bell always says?

    Oh yeah, vids or it didn't happen.
    Training log:
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/230377-13-weeks-rps.html
  28. TEH253's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean1332 View Post

    Cocky first post.
    315
  29. TEH253's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TEH253 View Post

    315


    Name:  image-1859170499.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  366.3 KB

    315
  30. Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TEH253 View Post
    315
    Video please. I am not saying you are lying, but there's a lot of people in this forum claiming nice numbers and never showing videos...and when they do :/ the form is rather bad, not full ROM or competition ROM and they just don't show the numbers/lifts they boast so much about.

    It is amazing you are like this...specially since my team captain is raw, he is the Junior National Champion and just got sponsored to the next Worlds meet...and he has a 335 bench at 180~ right now...so forgive me if I am doubtful.
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  31. Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,008
    Rep Power
    917970

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by TEH253 View Post
    Name:  image-1859170499.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  366.3 KB

    315
    What the hell does that prove?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  32. OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    466000

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by kdeome View Post
    I'm 5'10" 160lbs and my 1RM is 275... benching your body weight for reps is considered average, double your weight puts you in the top 33%
    lol made up numbers. 1/3 doing double body weight? yea right
  33. Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    What the hell does that prove?
    That he can hold a 315 bar at around 35-40% ROM...
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  34. OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    466000

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    or hat he can google a picture
  35. JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,848
    Rep Power
    2179970

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Re: Average bench press


    Quote Originally Posted by tcombs911 View Post
    I'm pretty new to this site, and was wondering what would be the average bench press for my weight. I weigh 133 and my height is 5' 6"ish, I've been in the gym for about 2 years now. My BP max-225..DL max-325 I don't squat because I got a bad back.
    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S™II using Tapatalk 2
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  36. OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    466000

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post

    http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...hStandards.htm

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S(TM)II using Tapatalk 2
    fuk yeah im considered advanced! you just made my day
  37. Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    fuk yeah im considered advanced! you just made my day
    I'm proud to be intermediate in Squat, Bench and Dead lol...265 , 205 and 335-345 for now haha. For a 140-145~...yeah I can keep going for advanced !
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  38. Sean1332's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    11,331
    Rep Power
    2311454

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I look at that chart to make me feel better about myself on my down days.
    Controlled Labs Board Rep
    sean@ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility.
  39. OnionKnight's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  208 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,394
    Rep Power
    466000

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Celorza View Post

    I'm proud to be intermediate in Squat, Bench and Dead lol...265 , 205 and 335-345 for now haha. For a 140-145~...yeah I can keep going for advanced !
    i just got done lookin at the others. im only advanced in bench and thats barely. im still intermediate in everything else lol. im still happy to claim that. ima book mark that page
  40. Celorza's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  150 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,552
    Rep Power
    2428707

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by OnionKnight View Post
    i just got done lookin at the others. im only advanced in bench and thats barely. im still intermediate in everything else lol. im still happy to claim that. ima book mark that page
    Me too, that was a major cheer-up considering I thought I wouldn't even rank intermediate haha. My squat has barely started to go up since late november...had a 225 and barely got a 265 last week. Like they say little by little I guess !
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Am I gripping the BB too close for bench pressing?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 07:49 PM
  2. Bench Press Help
    By Swanson52 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 12:13 AM
  3. Is there anyone who doesn't flat bench press at all?
    By Rock Lee in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 12:45 PM
  4. rev bench press is this any good
    By BigRich in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 02:04 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 11:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in