Basketball decreasing effectiveness of my workouts? - AnabolicMinds.com

Basketball decreasing effectiveness of my workouts?

Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

Basketball decreasing effectiveness of my workouts?

Does anyone know if shooting freethrows after lifting can decrease the effectiveness of my workouts? Usually after my lifting, my arms, chest, shoulders etc. are bone tired but when i go down to shoot FTs, after a few shots the tiredness almost completely disappears and the next day im either not sore at all, or a little sore. When i was on vacation i used the gym that the resort i stayed at had and didnt shoots FTs since they didnt have a court and the next day i couldnt move without being in pain from being so sore. So should i stop shooting FTs after my workouts and just do that as rec on my days off or do i needa make my workouts harder?

Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

i think that your workout and shooting baskets should barely relate in the way you described
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by BallisLove View Post
    Does anyone know if shooting freethrows after lifting can decrease the effectiveness of my workouts? Usually after my lifting, my arms, chest, shoulders etc. are bone tired but when i go down to shoot FTs, after a few shots the tiredness almost completely disappears and the next day im either not sore at all, or a little sore. When i was on vacation i used the gym that the resort i stayed at had and didnt shoots FTs since they didnt have a court and the next day i couldnt move without being in pain from being so sore. So should i stop shooting FTs after my workouts and just do that as rec on my days off or do i needa make my workouts harder?
    You can't stop living because you're lifting weights.. Playing a little basketball or whatever shouldn't hurt your gains..IMO

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
    •   

Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

The reason im wondering is because of the part i mentioned when i was on vacation. No basketball and i was insanely sore compared to workin out and shootin baskets and Not bein sore.
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta

You can't stop living because you're lifting weights.. Playing a little basketball or whatever shouldn't hurt your gains..IMO

Cant stop living? Can u elaborate on that a bit more you kinda lost me on that part.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Cant stop living? Can u elaborate on that a bit more you kinda lost me on that part.
    You're considering not shooting free throws/playing basketball because you THINK that it might be decreasing the effectiveness of your workouts.. that sounds crazy to me.

Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

Well then in im not living at all. Im shooting free throws to keep my form up since i cant play basketball to around next april due to me tearing my ACL and meniscus. How bout this, i do an experiment. Tomorrow im going in and lifting. I wont shoot free throws and see if there is a diff in soreness on friday. If im still not sore then im just gonna make my workouts harder. If im sore then im gonna make free throws an every now and then thing as recreation over the weekend.

I don't see how this could be hurting your gains. What I think is happening is that u are flushing out the lactic acid that builds up durning workouts. Kinda like a pitcher jogging after throwing 100 pitches. It's something not too strenuous but still flushes it out. Just a thought.
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

how bout your diet and/or sleep was off when you were on vacation. Thats a morr reasonable answer
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/training-forum/198788-highschool-athlete-thread.html
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Mann3476
    I don't see how this could be hurting your gains. What I think is happening is that u are flushing out the lactic acid that builds up durning workouts. Kinda like a pitcher jogging after throwing 100 pitches. It's something not too strenuous but still flushes it out. Just a thought.
    Im trying to recall what lactic acid does for the muscles. I cant remember if it was good or bad.
    Also on my diet and sleep for my vacation it varied little from normal. I ate terrible-mostly burgers (resort had an amazng burger place. You could get a fried egg on your burger...i had that like 3 times) i got 8hrs or more which is usual for me. Normally i go to bed at 10:30 and am up around 8-9. Food wise though i eat healthier at home. Fish chicken etc. however one thing that might be effecting me is that i wake up late and i dont eat breakfast and if i do its just cereal. With school starting i actually get a real breakfast. Eggs, hashbrowns, turkey bacon, sausage etc. even on vacation i missed breakfast a couple times.
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

Answering my own stupidity here. I remember from health class that lactic acid is what causes soreness. That is correct right? If so then my workout is fine i just dont feel the soreness.

Right, Lactic Acid build up is one of the causes of DOMS.. So if you are spending time flushing it out of the body after workouts then you maybe a little less sore. But I wouldn't be concerned about not being sore, b/c the other cause of DOMS is actual cell damage, followed by repair which builds muscle.. So by shooting FT's wouldn't undo this process..
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

From a fellow baller, shooting wont hurt your gains!

However, when you get back to playing, getting big can be detrimental to your bball game, as i find when i bulk i loose agility. If you are just lifting for fitness, you just have to manage legs around your games. Never do legs the day before. I also try avoid doing tri's the day before a game if your main role is a shooter. It depends how seriously you take your basketball though.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.

I was a center freshman year but ive developed my shooting so im now a power forward but im not goin back to playin for my school. Im just going to play ball recreational.
    Stats
    6'0"  208 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

I was a center freshman year but ive developed my shooting so im now a power forward but im not goin back to playin for my school. Im just going to play ball recreational.
    Dont worry too much then. Shooting and a light Jog will help your gym work. Its like HIIT training.
    I'm playing compeditivly in Division 1 where i live now. I got most imporved player in the leage last season-i shot the lights out all season, some games having an 80%+ shooting percentage. However I bulked up a bit in the offseason and am struggling a little now. It will come back. I just have to get the agility+speed back.
    ~Get shredded or die trying! The alphamine chapter~
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213632-get-shredded-die.html
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Consider the additional physical activity and adjust daily caloric intake as necessary, you'll be fine. Shooting hoops along with other activities effect the CNS, muscle fibers and energy systems in a different manner when compared to lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by vidapreta View Post
    To some the gym and everything along with it is living life exactly how they want on their own terms, its all relative.
    Stats
    5'8"  184 lbs.

Also keep in mind, soreness does not mean you had a good workout, and the lack of soreness does not mean you have had a bad one.
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by J.Mann3476 View Post
    Right, Lactic Acid build up is one of the causes of DOMS.. So if you are spending time flushing it out of the body after workouts then you maybe a little less sore. But I wouldn't be concerned about not being sore, b/c the other cause of DOMS is actual cell damage, followed by repair which builds muscle.. So by shooting FT's wouldn't undo this process..
    Lactic acid does not cause soreness.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  19. AnabolicMinds Forum Rep
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.

Wrong, please don't give out information based on what you've heard from supplement companies or misinformed gym goers. Lactic acid has been thought be the reason for muscle fatigue and soreness but wrongfully so, in fact, recent studies suggest, that lactic acid may actually delay muscle fatigue. There are "possible" other factors for muscle fatigue. One being, leakage of calcium ions inside the muscle cells weakening the contractions.

"You can't just climb in the ring with Ali because you think you can box."
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html

Ok then give another explanation as to why doing such exercises after activities ruduse the muscle soreness..

I know there have been a lot of studies now stating that DOMS is not called by lactic acid. But no one knows 100% for sure. So I'm just not buying it. At least not until there is some concrete evidence.

Jeremy Mann, ATC/L

Reduce*

Jeremy Mann, ATC/L
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Lactic acid does not cause soreness.

Yeah, the etiology of DOMS is not completly understood; but what is known is that DOMS stems from eccentric training. People who have DOMS have had bloodwork done and the most plausible cause is that DOMS is from micro-trauma and inflammation, not lactic acid; this was shown as white blood cells appeared in area of DOMS to fight against suspected inflammation. Lactic acid goes away once oxygen is returned to the system and will not cause pain, it simply stops the muscles from contracting.

Back to the OP; the cause for your lack of pain may be that your simply not focusing on the eccentric phase of the movement, whereas on holiday you were, perhaps. The same principle works if I were squatting them decided to go for a run after; it wouldnt affect my gains so long as I continued to eat in calorie excess, which is hard on high volume, high intensity days but can be done.
  23. AnabolicMinds Forum Rep
    Stats
    5'8"  186 lbs.

Ok then give another explanation as to why doing such exercises after activities ruduse the muscle soreness..

I know there have been a lot of studies now stating that DOMS is not called by lactic acid. But no one knows 100% for sure. So I'm just not buying it. At least not until there is some concrete evidence.

Jeremy Mann, ATC/L
    NM, Jigzz got it. Nice to meet you Jeremy.
    Olympus Labs DemiGod And Rep ~ http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/253076-spaniards-coliseum-featuring.html~http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/220023-valdez-goes-back-29.html

Similar Forum Threads

1. Tell me what you think of my workout...
    By SDNewbie93 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 06:34 PM
  2. Decreasing effectiveness of caffeine
    By Rugger in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 11:18 AM
  3. What do YOU think of my workout Routine?
    By Jtrain84 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 11:17 AM
  4. What do you think of my workout?
    By domestic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2007, 01:35 AM
  5. one of my workouts
    By destro19 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-14-2003, 04:54 PM