Squats and deadlifts - ESSENTIAL? Aid in debate

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  1. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    Squats and deadlifts - ESSENTIAL? Aid in debate


    Hello all, first time poster here. Basically I'm having a debate on another forum about how essential squats and deadlifts are on gaining, and I've been challenged to create a thread here questioning my points.

    First, let me clarify thed efinition of the word ESSENTIAL for anyone who doesn't know (such as one chap in the other debate). Essential means completely necessary. Not "very helpful," not "almost necessary," but COMPLETELY necessary.

    Now, let me clarify the debate before asking for opinions. One of the guys in this debate is saying that squats and deads are ESSENTIAL to building muscle. My personal position is that they are incredibly useful in doing so and almost everybody should have them in their routine, but are NOT essential any more than any other exercise is completely necessary for building muscle.

    I have given several examples to prove my point. One such eample was Dorian Yates, 6 time Olympia winner who at 5'10" stood on stage at an unbelievably lean and dry 260+lbs. Apparently this example is somehow invalid because he's an "old" bodybuilder, as if this somehow invalidates his insane size that he built without squats and deadlifts. I also used examples of paraplegic bodybuilders (who you can find on Google) who can't even move their legs yet have still built huge levels of mass without squatting and deadlifting. I even used myself as an example who continued to gain well with a fractured ankle for more than 6 months without training my legs.

    Another thing I mentioned is that while squats and deads are great for most people, for some people because of their height, limb length, leverages, differing muscles dominances, etc. that squats and deads might be better replaced with other exercises.

    So basically, my question is this. Bearing in mind the examples of people who have built incredible mass without squatting and deadlifting, who is right? To me it's a no-brainer. They're incredibly useful and most people should be doing them but are not ESSENTIAL (i.e. totally necessary and impossible to get by without), otherwise there would be no paraplegic bodybuilders at all and Dorian Yates never would've won an Olympia. Unfortunately this other chap lacks common sense and openmindedness.

    So, please, thoughts?

  2. Registered User
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    misery
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,599
    Rep Power
    13729

    Here you go. Nuff said.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  3. Registered User
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    misery
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,599
    Rep Power
    13729

    Or you could just look like this
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    misery
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,599
    Rep Power
    13729

    nice first post btw.
  5. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    Hey, I squat and deadlift because they're amazing exercises, I'm not saying they're not, nor am I saying that most people wouldn't be better off doing them. What I AM saying is that it's possible to build an amazing physique without them and they're not essential, as demonstrated by the examples I provided, and I'm also saying that a select few people would be better off not doing them at certain points in their training lives due to things like leverages, weak lower back, etc.

    If you, like most people, will get the results you're after doing them, then do them. I'm just saying it's possible to get results without them and a minority of people will be better off not doing them. It's stupid to think absolutely everybody is in the same boat and these two exercises are magic.
  6. Registered User
    Ju1cedUp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    13175

    Thank you everyone,

    I wasn't sure what else to say to tell this guy Squats And Deadlifts CANNOT be replaced by leg press if you expect to still have the same rate of muscle growth.
  7. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    Nobody said anything about the same rate, did they? You said ESSENTIAL. Perhaps you need to look that word up in the dictionary. It means NECESSARY, i.e. you said growth would be IMPOSSIBLE without them, which is clearly not the case (and this is especially true of taller lifters).
  8. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    And again, perhaps you can explain Dorian Yates' incredible development without squats and deads? Was it black magic perhaps? What about paraplegic bodybuilders? Surely they have employed wizardry.
  9. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    You need to draw a distinction between helpful/positive/useful and ESSENTIAL. There is a difference.

    I notice you also keep failing to address how paraplegic bodybuilders have grown without squatting and deading. That issue won't go away just because you won't respond to it.
  10. Registered User
    Ju1cedUp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    13175

    I SAID GROWTH WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE??

    are you ****ing retarded dude? can you even read??

    i said it increases your rate of growth! which is true.. ur an idiot

    now shut the hell up with all ur retarded arguments.
  11. Registered User
    Ju1cedUp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    13175

    Quote Originally Posted by Squelchy View Post
    You need to draw a distinction between helpful/positive/useful and ESSENTIAL. There is a difference.

    I notice you also keep failing to address how paraplegic bodybuilders have grown without squatting and deading. That issue won't go away just because you won't respond to it.
    YOU CAN GROW WITHOUT SQUATS!! YES ITS TRUE, WOW YOUR SO SMART!! happy?? jeez us christ man

    I'M SAYING IF YOU DO!! SQUAT THAT YOU GROW FASTER. IN ALL CASES!
  12. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju1cedUp View Post
    I SAID GROWTH WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE??

    are you ****ing retarded dude? can you even read??

    i said it increases your rate of growth! which is true.. ur an idiot

    now shut the hell up with all ur retarded arguments.
    What you said was (and this is a direct quotation) "there is really nothing you can say to make me think that one of those exercises isn't essential if you're taking your workout seriously" and you also said "those two exercises are written in stone." This is incorrect. There are people who take working out seriously who can't/don't squat and/or deadlift either because they can't or it's not wise for them to do so. I have provided examples of this. If someone is 6'5" with a very weak lower back and very long legs there are smarter exercise choices than back squats and deads. And again, fairly certain to win Mr Olympia 6 times you have to take working out quite seriously, yet Dorian didn't squat or dead. How do you explain that?

    Perhaps it's you who needs reading lessons.
  13. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju1cedUp View Post
    YOU CAN GROW WITHOUT SQUATS!! YES ITS TRUE, WOW YOUR SO SMART!! happy?? jeez us christ man

    I'M SAYING IF YOU DO!! SQUAT THAT YOU GROW FASTER. IN ALL CASES!
    Except this isn't true in all cases. People with very long legs, lower back weaknesses or injuries, or even just people for whom squatting doesn't hit 'the sweet spot.'

    Do you really think a 6 time Olympia winner would drop squats if they were doing what he wanted them to? Not everyone is exactly the same, as hard as that may be for you to believe.
  14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    DAdams91982's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    7,397
    Rep Power
    700725

    Wow, strong first thread.

    FACT: Squats and Deadlifts stimulate the body to produce and release the most amount of testosterone compared to any other exercise.

    FACT: Testosterone facilitates bodily changes rapidly, providing anti-catabolism and require gym aggression.

    FACT: You can grow without them, but they will increase the rate of protein turnover.

    MYTH: You know what you are talking about.
    The Historic PES Legend
  15. Registered User
    Ju1cedUp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    13175

    Quote Originally Posted by Squelchy View Post
    What you said was (and this is a direct quotation) "there is really nothing you can say to make me think that one of those exercises isn't essential if you're taking your workout seriously" and you also said "those two exercises are written in stone." This is incorrect. There are people who take working out seriously who can't/don't squat and/or deadlift either because they can't or it's not wise for them to do so. I have provided examples of this. If someone is 6'5" with a very weak lower back and very long legs there are smarter exercise choices than back squats and deads. And again, fairly certain to win Mr Olympia 6 times you have to take working out quite seriously, yet Dorian didn't squat or dead. How do you explain that?

    Perhaps it's you who needs reading lessons.
    if you have a weak lower back, you should be deadlifting.. ta da.
  16. Registered User
    Ju1cedUp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    13175

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Wow, strong first thread.

    FACT: Squats and Deadlifts stimulate the body to produce and release the most amount of testosterone compared to any other exercise.

    FACT: Testosterone facilitates bodily changes rapidly, providing anti-catabolism and require gym aggression.

    FACT: You can grow without them, but they will increase the rate of protein turnover.

    MYTH: You know what you are talking about.
    HAHAH thank you!!
  17. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982 View Post
    Wow, strong first thread.

    FACT: Squats and Deadlifts stimulate the body to produce and release the most amount of testosterone compared to any other exercise.

    FACT: Testosterone facilitates bodily changes rapidly, providing anti-catabolism and require gym aggression.

    FACT: You can grow without them, but they will increase the rate of protein turnover.

    MYTH: You know what you are talking about.

    So considering I agree with all of those facts, what exactly am I saying that's wrong?
  18. Registered User
    Ju1cedUp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    13175

    Quote Originally Posted by Squelchy View Post
    So considering I agree with all of those facts, what exactly am I saying that's wrong?
    that besides the extreme cases of people who cant use their legs, squats and deadlifts should MOST DEFINATELY be in a routine.

    leg press won't get you to your potential as fast as squats can.
  19. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju1cedUp View Post
    that besides the extreme cases of people who cant use their legs, squats and deadlifts should MOST DEFINATELY be in a routine.

    leg press won't get you to your potential as fast as squats can.
    Except that's not what I'm saying. Not mostly, anyway. I would make exceptions for injuries and certain different body structures where I would use alternative forms of squats and deadlifts, but for everybody else I agree, I'm just saying that for a small minority of people back squats and conventional deadlifts might not be ideal and that you can still develop extremely well without those exercises, yet somehow you've read that as "nobody at all should squat and deadlift," and I have no idea why.
  20. Registered User
    Ju1cedUp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    13175

    Quote Originally Posted by Squelchy View Post
    Except that's not what I'm saying. Not mostly, anyway. I would make exceptions for injuries and certain different body structures where I would use alternative forms of squats and deadlifts, but for everybody else I agree, I'm just saying that for a small minority of people back squats and conventional deadlifts might not be ideal and that you can still develop extremely well without those exercises, yet somehow you've read that as "nobody at all should squat and deadlift," and I have no idea why.
    you've changed ur argument so many times i can't keep up..

    if you can use your legs.. squat or deadlift if you wanna maximize growth potential. thats all. thank you.
  21. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    But fine, let me give you another example. Someone 6'6", proportionately long legs and short arms, poor hip and ankle flexibility and a weak lower back, all of which combine to mean that the person can't back squat to parallel or do deadlifts off the floor without rounding their back.... in your mind they should still back squat and conventional deadlift should they?
  22. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju1cedUp View Post
    you've changed ur argument so many times i can't keep up..

    if you can use your legs.. squat or deadlift if you wanna maximize growth potential. thats all. thank you.
    Please explain what I have changed it from and what I have changed it to, and support with quotations. Otherwise you're speaking out of your arse.
  23. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    And just to clarify, I'm talking about back squats and conventional deadlifts here, not any squat or deadlift variation.
  24. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    You also seem to think I'm using extreme examples to justify my point. Don't you get it? Extreme examples ARE my point. I completely agree that everyone who can back squat and conventional deadlift should, and those who aren't built for those lifts should find squat and deadlift variations that suit them, and the vast majority of people are going to be able to find some form of squat or deadlift which will vastly benefit them. I'm just saying there are ALWAYS a few exceptions to the rule, which is what you don't seem willing to accept.
  25. Registered User
    Ju1cedUp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    13175

    Quote Originally Posted by Squelchy View Post
    Please explain what I have changed it from and what I have changed it to, and support with quotations. Otherwise you're speaking out of your arse.
    ... it was us that were arguing on the other forum.. we both know what we said.. i'm not proving myself here anymore cuz ur an idiot.

    someone else pick this up, he's been draining me on all these extreme cases for 2 days er suttin.

    but last thing, have you ever seen a hexbar deadlift?? those work GREAT for all my very tall friends. now good day.


    MY LAST POST.
  26. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju1cedUp View Post
    but last thing, have you ever seen a hexbar deadlift?? those work GREAT for all my very tall friends. now good day.


    MY LAST POST.
    Gosh, hex bar deadlifts, wow, no, never heard of them.

    Oh wait, yes I have. THEY ARE NOT CONVENTIONAL BARBELL DEADLIFTS WHICH IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.
  27. Registered User
    Ju1cedUp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    13175

    Quote Originally Posted by Squelchy View Post
    Gosh, hex bar deadlifts, wow, no, never heard of them.

    Oh wait, yes I have. THEY ARE NOT CONVENTIONAL BARBELL DEADLIFTS WHICH IS WHAT I WAS TALKING ABOUT.
    another detail you made up when you starting losing the argument.
  28. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju1cedUp View Post
    another detail you made up when you starting losing the argument.
    I didn't make up anything. The thread was about ass to grass back squats, then you mentioned deadlifts. Had you preceded that with "some form of" then it would be a different story, although even then there are exceptions to the rule.

    Instead you chose to talk in absolutes, as if everyone is exactly the same.

    And again, if you think I've changed my argument then please prove how by quoting me instead of talking out of your arse.
  29. Registered User
    Ju1cedUp's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    603
    Rep Power
    13175

    Quote Originally Posted by Squelchy View Post
    I didn't make up anything. The thread was about ass to grass back squats, then you mentioned deadlifts. Had you preceded that with "some form of" then it would be a different story, although even then there are exceptions to the rule.

    Instead you chose to talk in absolutes, as if everyone is exactly the same.

    And again, if you think I've changed my argument then please prove how by quoting me instead of talking out of your arse.
    last post. i'm gettin off after this.

    didn't say anyone was the same, i stated squats and deadlifts are essential to a workout that wants to maximize growth potential.. i am right.

    i'm not gunna go copy and paste, i'm not proving myself to anyone here, you know what was said, and your still wrong now, even with all your little revisions

    me and all my tall friends are gunna continue to squat and deadlift and get huge.. you can preach whatever you'd like, but i wont stop believing in the squat or deadlift.

    done.
  30. Registered User
    Squelchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    87

    Quote Originally Posted by Ju1cedUp View Post
    last post. i'm gettin off after this.

    didn't say anyone was the same, i stated squats and deadlifts are essential to a workout that wants to maximize growth potential.. i am right.

    i'm not gunna go copy and paste, i'm not proving myself to anyone here, you know what was said, and your still wrong now, even with all your little revisions

    me and all my tall friends are gunna continue to squat and deadlift and get huge.. you can preach whatever you'd like, but i wont stop believing in the squat or deadlift.

    done.
    In other words you can't provide evidence of me saying things I haven't said.

    Nobody suggested you stop squatting and deadlifting. Nobody even said that squatting and deadlifting won't be extremely helpful in maximising growth potential, that's just something for whatever reason you think I said. What I ACTUALLY said is that for a minority of people back squats and conventional deadlifts aren't the best exercise choices, and for an even smaller minority (very small minority) such as those with injuries or extremely disproportionate limb lengths or muscles dominances, no squats or deads would be best, and I also said they're not essential to grow, since they're not.

    Where you got "you shouldn't squat and deadlift" from I really have no idea since I've said repeatedly now that if you can, you should.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Weight Belt for squats/deadlifts?
    By arfcommer in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-20-2010, 01:15 PM
  2. deadlifts vs. squats
    By bound in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
  3. squats or leg press with deadlifts?
    By marcink99 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 07:09 AM
  4. Squats and deadlifts...
    By LunaHotel in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 12:17 AM
  5. Squats/Deadlifts and overall size
    By Manwhore in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 10:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.