Nutrition Expert on the Risks of X-Factor - AnabolicMinds.com

Nutrition Expert on the Risks of X-Factor

1. Advanced Member

Nutrition Expert on the Risks of X-Factor

Mike Roussell is a Penn State Ph.D. student in Nutrition and has a pretty big name in the fitness and nutrition industry, writing articles for T-Nation and Men's Fitness, among other publications. He has something to say about X-Factor in an older edition of the Podcast (Max-Out Radio) that he hosts.

Go to 5:15 once you download the mp3 and listen from there. He's got some very interesting things to say about Arachidonic Acid. Just some things to think about.

http://www.maxoutradio.com/podcast/Maxoutradio011.mp3

Here are Mike's credentials (I think it lends credence to what he says).

Mike Roussell is a consultant, author, freelance writer, and researcher. Mike received his bachelor of science in biochemistry graduating magna cum laude with high honors from Hobart and William Smith Colleges. From there he attended the University of Vermont Medical School before deciding to follow his passion of studying nutrition.

Currently, Mike is pursuing his doctorate in nutrition at Pennsylvania State University, studying the effects of diet and fatty acids on cardiovascular disease and emerging cardiovascular disease risk factors.

Mike’s nutritional coaching is sought out by people from a variety of backgrounds ranging from collegiate athletes to business professionals to fitness enthusiasts.

Mike is a regular contributor to publications such as Testosterone Nation and Bodybuilding.com. You can hear more from Mike every two weeks as he is the host and founder of the web’s premier Fitness and Nutrition Podcast, Max-Out Radio.

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

downloading
  3. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

can someone summarize it here?
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
    •   

4. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    can someone summarize it here?
    Basically, he's saying that AA is a pro-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acid that does more harm than good. As AA is not only built up in the muscle cells, if affects other areas of the body as well, including the heart and heart tissue. He agrees that there are very minimal anabolic properties to AA, but that it is really not worth the long-term health risks that are inherent with a high consumption of AA. And even then, he states that the studies that show AA to have a benefit for muscle-building are pretty weak and only show a partial view of the results of those using AA in the studies. Some things were omitted from the study to make the supplement look more efficacious.

It's a good listen, and I'd recommend that anyone thinking about using AA (X-Factor or like supplements) should hear what Mike has to say, just so they can consider things from multiple perspectives.
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.

im listening right now.

and listening to the test of 31peeps taking 1gram a day

50day test.

according to this no significant changes in anything. but an increase in some kinda power thing but no change no bodymass.

there was a diff but not a significant diff is what some tried to argue.

placebo group made less gains then AA group. but they aruging not enuff to brag about.

just summing this up for ya. interesting enuff im doing an Xfactor poseidon log next month hehe interesting !
  6. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'll try to remember to check it out later. I dont quite see how 50 days worth would be all that significant in terms of damage, as it is something already in food
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  7. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

"according to this no significant changes in anything. but an increase in some kinda power thing but no change no bodymass.

there was a diff but not a significant diff is what some tried to argue.

placebo group made less gains then AA group. but they aruging not enuff to brag about."

Pretty much what I experienced. Subtle change but nothing to warrant the extra cost for me.
  8. Advanced Member

The cost to your health is the worst thing. It's like eating many, many full eggs a day with all of the yokes (of course, minus the calories).

That wouldn't be all that bad, if you could balance it out with a ton of omega-3's, but then the X-Factor loses its efficacy.

Another thing Mike points out is that this stuff is not just limited to muscle tissue, it gets into the heart and other systems.
  9. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

yeah, but 50 days worth isn't that huge an amount or length of time. Its sort of wishy washy. With any of the studies that show negative effects, they weren't totally convincing to me. For instance the one that showed prostate cancer cells enlarging was directly injecting AA into existing cancer cells in a petri dish, and no conversion of "how much oral intake of AA would this need to be to be equal". It still hearkens back to the "saccarin causes cancer" from mice getting the equivalent of 50 cases of diet soda a day.
    This space for rent

10. Advanced Member

yeah, but 50 days worth isn't that huge an amount or length of time. Its sort of wishy washy. With any of the studies that show negative effects, they weren't totally convincing to me. For instance the one that showed prostate cancer cells enlarging was directly injecting AA into existing cancer cells in a petri dish, and no conversion of "how much oral intake of AA would this need to be to be equal". It still hearkens back to the "saccarin causes cancer" from mice getting the equivalent of 50 cases of diet soda a day.
    The problem is, most of these studies are only showing the extrapolated positives of the study.

I'm not trying to be a "whistle blower" but I am trying to just help people realize that you should research your supplements.
  11. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Oh for sure, i'm just taking the studies on both sides with a grain of salt, and i'm pretty confident that 50 days of AA does less damage than 30 of most of the pherplex/superdrol/epistane/etc
    This space for rent

12. Advanced Member

Oh for sure, i'm just taking the studies on both sides with a grain of salt, and i'm pretty confident that 50 days of AA does less damage than 30 of most of the pherplex/superdrol/epistane/etc
    Good point.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.

Keep in mind that the way AA responds in trained individuals (especially weight lifters) is quite different from the way it responds in the sedentary person.

You wanna talk about something that's bad for you? Sugar is bad for you. You gonna say "no ****". But it seems the true destructiveness of sugar and other refined carbs are all but lost on most people.

A healthy, highly active individual with no pre-existing medical conditions will experience no negative impact from utilizing arachidonic acid as an anabolic.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 02:16 AM
  2. Tiny bubbles on the side of the syringe
    By AllNatural in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-14-2005, 10:06 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2005, 09:11 AM
  4. GRRR... bald spot on the top of myhead
    By silverSurfer in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4