MMA and supplements: My recommendations

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have gotten quite a few PMs regarding this and with the ever growing expansion of people training, I figured it was time to make something like this. I hope to clear out a lot of the bad advice that many MMAers receive as far as supplementation is concerned and to understand general do's and don'ts

I will divide this into 4 sections: staples, highly recommended, and peaking (amount in parentheses is my dosing).

Staples

These are the supplements that I take year round and are invaluable tools for recovery, strength, and cardio.

BCAAs-help to slow muscle catabolism from training or increase LBM if attempting to add some weight to your frame (20g).
Poseidon-this is for hydration and electrolyte balance. I could honestly go on for pages about how important this is to overall performance and it is a must after cutting weight to replenish (3-4 servings).
Whey Protein-helps for quick replenishment after training or to add LBM (40g post weights)
SuperCarb-slow digesting carb source that I add to my BCAA and Poseidon drink to avoid hypoglycemia and to add extra calories into my diet (25g)
Anabolic Pump-this is one of the greatest nutrient repartitioners I have ever used and is a vital tool for those are heavy for their weight class. This also helps out with recovery and strength gains due to it's ability to maximize glycogen storage within the muscle (3 caps).
Fish Oil-EFA source and anti-inflammatory are amongst the myriad of fish oil uses (6-10g/day).
Beta Alanine-lactic acid buffer to help push through those painful moments and maintain strength in the later rounds (6-8g/day).
Powerfull-sleep/recovery are incalculably important and this provides not only fantastic sleep, but also helps with GH levels and body comp. Cheap bastard alternative is 1-C at NP (at this time, I have not used in conjunction with the SuperSap)
Highly Recommended

These are supplements that I find to be great tools if your budget permits them. Not quite important enough to be a "staple," but I prefer to have them in my arsenal most of the time.

RPM-best pre-WO stim I have ever used. A clean energy without the crash and also adds a little more aggression into the system (3 caps).
Protein Blends (e.g. egg/casein/whey together)-I always have some sort of blend lying around if I am pinched for time or don't quite feel like eating a full meal. Helps to add sufficient protein and calories for the MMAer (40g per meal).
P-Slin-this is for pre-WO nutrient repartitioning. Similar in AP to it's action, but shorter-acting. Helps to utilize the pre-WO meal to the max and provides great energy during the long hours in the gym (1 cap ~20 minutes til pre-WO meal/90 minutes pre-training). The cheap bastard alternative to this is 20% banaba powder.

Peaking

These are the supplements I like to add 4-6 weeks prior to competition. These range from ergogenic aids to mood enhancement to sleep aids.

HEAT-great supplement for those that have to diet to make their weight. Great appetite suppressant and also helps with mood during those periods of carb-depleted crankiness (3+6 caps/day). Cheap bastard alternative is RPN's version.
Ecdysterone-this helps out with VO2 and EPO production. For those that don't wtf that means, basically this is a great supplement for cardio (500mg active/day).
Rhodiola-mood enhancement, sleep aid, and helps with cardio. It's also very, very cheap (300-400mg @ 3% rosavins/day).
Activate Extreme-outside of the nutrient repartitioning, sleep aid, and strength gains, this supplement gives me the best, or worst, aggression. This combined with RPM makes me want to really, really hurt people (6 caps/day).
Drive-reduces BF, increases cardio and aggression, and great mood enhancer...enough said (6 caps, 5x/wk).

Avoid

These are supplements that I would avoid or minimize for various reasons.

Yohimbine HCl-BP and cardio killer
Clenbuterol-same reasons as Y-HCl
Arachidonic Acid-don't get me wrong, I love this supplement, but when gearing up for a fight, it does more damage (literally) than good; save this for periods when you have 3 months between fights or DC use ~5 weeks prior to event

Stacks*
High-end
AcX
Protein Blend
RPM
P-Slin
Drive

Mid-level
AcX
Protein Blend
P-Slin

Cheap Bastard
Forskolin
Banaba
Chocamine
Icariin
1-C
Nettle/Divaniil
*These stacks assume most, if not all of the staples.

That is my list, but remember, without a solid diet, these will not matter. Train hard my friends.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice writeup. That's a pretty expensive arsenal of supplements when you start adding in things on top of the staples.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh yeah :nutkick:
I'll admit that I have become quite spoiled because of it, too. It was even sweeter when I had my CNW sponsorship for that stretch, but I don't have that anymore unfortunately.

The Tanya

The Tanya

AN Rep
Awards
I'll admit that I have become quite spoiled because of it, too. It was even sweeter when I had my CNW sponsorship for that stretch, but I don't have that anymore unfortunately.
Loved to see what you thought of an RPM and Drive stack.....You'll really be ready to kick some one's azz. If you get a chance, shoot me an e-mail, I want to run a few things by you.... [email protected]

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Great write-up. I might rep you. I want to know what supps Vitor was taking in 97? Thanks.

size

Awards
  • Established
Rhodiola is a great choice. I would add beta-alanine as well.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I have the cardio of Chris Farley, but I really like Cordygen5 by Millenium Sports.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Why no citrulline, Rodja? Have you ever tried Swell instead of Posiedon?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why no citrulline, Rodja? Have you ever tried Swell instead of Posiedon?
I have used Swell (I am sponsored by Nimbus) and I personally feel that BA is better than cirulline and it is more economical as well.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Cool, very interesting. thanks for the reply! I may try Swell out for my judo practice.

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
wow this is awesome i was just about to start a thread on mma supps much appreciation:clap2:

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Interesting that you avoid yohimebine. I tried it recently in a product, pre- judo, and I nearly died. It made me feel, well, icky is the only word to come to mind :lol: , and I felt seriously handicapped cardio-wise. Creepy feeling stuff. It makes sense why that would be, but I don't ever recall anyone mentioning that it killed their cardio.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I don't train MMA, but I thought yohimbe/yohimbine was terrible pre-workout. I thought I was going to die a few times as well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting that you avoid yohimebine. I tried it recently in a product, pre- judo, and I nearly died. It made me feel, well, icky is the only word to come to mind :lol: , and I felt seriously handicapped cardio-wise. Creepy feeling stuff. It makes sense why that would be, but I don't ever recall anyone mentioning that it killed their cardio.
It's just a dirty stim to me. It's the only one that really messes with my cardio. Hell, it makes my breathing in general more labored.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Have you tried geranamine, like core zap or Matrix? Or ephedra, for that matter?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you tried geranamine, like core zap or Matrix? Or ephedra, for that matter?
I've tried Geranium with caffeine, but I have not tried Core ZAP. I would use a lower dose of Ephedrine without any stim just to promote bronchodialation.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I don't train MMA, but I thought yohimbe/yohimbine was terrible pre-workout. I thought I was going to die a few times as well.
I hate the sh it. Nothing but cold sweats, jitters, and a feeling that my heart was going to beat out my chest.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I've tried Geranium with caffeine, but I have not tried Core ZAP. I would use a lower dose of Ephedrine without any stim just to promote bronchodialation.
God you're weird.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I tried 12.5mg last class. Awesome class, I nearly died, though. i'm not sure if it was because I pushed myself harder, or if it was making it harder. I'm going to try it again tonight.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
What do u guys mean you almost died...do u mean it literally?
I just ordered 200 caps from Nutraplanet for fat loss, libido etc. I thought it was good for cutting?

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It feels like my heart is going to explode, I can't get enough air, and like I'm working very close to my VO2 max for an extended period. Like I was in someone elses body. Ugh.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It feels like my heart is going to explode, I can't get enough air, and like I'm working very close to my VO2 max for an extended period. Like I was in someone elses body. Ugh.
That says it all. I can remember a few instances where I was using the original Leviathan and I had about 2/3 my normal cardio because I just couldn't get a full breath. LR is fine because the 11-OH-Y doesn't jack with BP nearly as much.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I just ordered 200 caps from Nutraplanet for fat loss, libido etc. I thought it was good for cutting?
It's a very dirty stim. I guess we don't mean it quite literally, but I really felt like if I pushed myself too hard that I might have had a cardiac event or something. My heart was racing in an unnatural way. Never used it for cutting, but it intensifies sexual experiences for sure.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ok, just tried a half tab ephedrine HCI (12.5mg) pre-judo. Ugh, no, it felt like yohimebine. :croak:

Buh-by, crackstim ingredients. Citrulline, BA, etc for me, and RPM for the juice.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, just tried a half tab ephedrine HCI (12.5mg) pre-judo. Ugh, no, it felt like yohimebine. :croak:

Buh-by, crackstim ingredients. Citrulline, BA, etc for me, and RPM for the juice.
12.5mg of E-HCl with 2 RPM gives me some solid energy and focus without any hindrance to cardio. If you're a cheap bastard like me, buy some chocamine ans does it at 300-600mg ~30-45 minutes prior to training. It's like a poor man's version of RPM and there is no crash.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I've never felt any bad sides from yohimbine. I guess I'm a lucky person then? I don't even feel stimmed at all, however I do notice the difference in my body after taking it for some time.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I've never felt any bad sides from yohimbine. I guess I'm a lucky person then? I don't even feel stimmed at all, however I do notice the difference in my body after taking it for some time.
Just received my NP Yohimbine...after how much time did you notice this difference & exactly what did U notice?

Thanx Lucky

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
Great list Rodja. I'll probably add some of recovery stuff now that I'm back at training BJJ.

One question though, I see that you have fish oil in your list, but I was curious on how it compares to Flax Seed oil and if it'd be worth making the switch from Flax to Fish. Also, how many grams do you usually take per pound?

Also any takes on something like Venom Hyperdrive? It seems to have a good gear up for training as it gives a lot of energy, maybe in case for offseason heavy workouts / two a days?

-Offtopic: curious also if there is anywhere a video of one of your fights, would like to see your style to have an idea of what sort of training you do.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Just received my NP Yohimbine...after how much time did you notice this difference & exactly what did U notice?

Thanx Lucky
Well, for lack of better words, I slimmed down a lot very gradually over a 4 month period. It wasn't too sudden or anything. I didn't lose any strength and I never felt like I was over stimmed. Actually, I did get a lot of erections though. I didn't really see it as a bad thing, lol.

I first noticed the change in my body maybe two weeks in. I'll stop taking it pretty soon though, because I don't want to take it for too much of an extended time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Great list Rodja. I'll probably add some of recovery stuff now that I'm back at training BJJ.

One question though, I see that you have fish oil in your list, but I was curious on how it compares to Flax Seed oil and if it'd be worth making the switch from Flax to Fish. Also, how many grams do you usually take per pound?

Also any takes on something like Venom Hyperdrive? It seems to have a good gear up for training as it gives a lot of energy, maybe in case for offseason heavy workouts / two a days?

-Offtopic: curious also if there is anywhere a video of one of your fights, would like to see your style to have an idea of what sort of training you do.
I like fish oil because it is a better form of Omega-3 and flax also has some phytoestrogens that I would rather avoid. I have only tried a few samples of Venom and I believe I only used them for lifting. Like I dais, RPM is my favorite stim for training, but there are others that are worth their salt. One of my training partners loves geranium with some caffeine.

There are some of my vids floating around here somewhere.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Hey Rodja, do you follow the label dosing protocol?

If not, do you mind sharing how you do it and the reasons for it?

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Staples

These are the supplements that I take year round and are invaluable tools for recovery, strength, and cardio.

BCAAs-help to slow muscle catabolism from training or increase LBM if attempting to add some weight to your frame.
Poseidon-this is for hydration and electrolyte balance. I could honestly go on for pages about how important this is to overall performance and it is a must after cutting weight to replenish.
Whey Protein-helps for quick replenishment after training or to add LBM
SuperCarb-slow digesting carb source that I add to my BCAA and Poseidon drink to avoid hypoglycemia and to add extra calories into my diet
Anabolic Pump-this is one of the greatest nutrient repartitioners I have ever used and is a vital tool for those are heavy for their weight class. This also helps out with recovery and strength gains due to it's ability to maximize glycogen storage within the muscle.
Fish Oil-EFA source and anti-inflammatory are amongst the myriad of fish oil uses.
Beta Alanine-lactic acid buffer to help push through those painful moments and maintain strength in the later rounds.

Highly Recommended

These are supplements that I find to be great tools if your budget permits them. Not quite important enough to be a "staple," but I prefer to have them in my arsenal most of the time.

RPM-best pre-WO stim I have ever used. A clean energy without the crash and also adds a little more aggression into the system.
Protein Blends (e.g. egg/casein/whey together)-I always have some sort of blend lying around if I am pinched for time or don't quite feel like eating a full meal. Helps to add sufficient protein and calories for the MMAer.
P-Slin-this is for pre-WO nutrient repartitioning. Similar in AP to it's action, but shorter-acting. Helps to utilize the pre-WO meal to the max and provides great energy during the long hours in the gym.

Peaking

These are the supplements I like to add 4-6 weeks prior to competition. These range from ergogenic aids to mood enhancement to sleep aids.

HEAT-great supplement for those that have to diet to make their weight. Great appetite suppressant and also helps with mood during those periods of carb-depleted crankiness.
Ecdysterone-this helps out with VO2 and EPO production. For those that don't wtf that means, basically this is a great supplement for cardio.
Rhodiola-mood enhancement, sleep aid, and helps with cardio. It's also very, very cheap.
Activate Extreme-outside of the nutrient repartitioning, sleep aid, and strength gains, this supplement gives me the best, or worst, aggression. This combined with RPM makes me want to really, really hurt people.
Drive-reduces BF, increases cardio and aggression, and great mood enhancer...enough said.

MMABoxing

Awards
I have gotten quite a few PMs regarding this and with the ever growing expansion of people training, I figured it was time to make something like this. I hope to clear out a lot of the bad advice that many MMAers receive as far as supplementation is concerned and to understand general do's and don'ts

I will divide this into 4 sections: staples, highly recommended, and peaking (amount in parentheses is my dosing).

Staples

BCAAs-help to slow muscle catabolism from training or increase LBM if attempting to add some weight to your frame (20g).
Poseidon-this is for hydration and electrolyte balance. I could honestly go on for pages about how important this is to overall performance and it is a must after cutting weight to replenish (3-4 servings).
Whey Protein-helps for quick replenishment after training or to add LBM (40g post weights)
SuperCarb-slow digesting carb source that I add to my BCAA and Poseidon drink to avoid hypoglycemia and to add extra calories into my diet (25g)
Anabolic Pump-this is one of the greatest nutrient repartitioners I have ever used and is a vital tool for those are heavy for their weight class. This also helps out with recovery and strength gains due to it's ability to maximize glycogen storage within the muscle (3 caps).
Fish Oil-EFA source and anti-inflammatory are amongst the myriad of fish oil uses (6-10g/day).
Beta Alanine-lactic acid buffer to help push through those painful moments and maintain strength in the later rounds (6-8g/day).

Highly Recommended

RPM-best pre-WO stim I have ever used. A clean energy without the crash and also adds a little more aggression into the system (3 caps).
Protein Blends (e.g. egg/casein/whey together)-I always have some sort of blend lying around if I am pinched for time or don't quite feel like eating a full meal. Helps to add sufficient protein and calories for the MMAer (40g per meal).
P-Slin-this is for pre-WO nutrient repartitioning. Similar in AP to it's action, but shorter-acting. Helps to utilize the pre-WO meal to the max and provides great energy during the long hours in the gym (1 cap ~20 minutes til pre-WO meal/90 minutes pre-training).

Peaking

HEAT-great supplement for those that have to diet to make their weight. Great appetite suppressant and also helps with mood during those periods of carb-depleted crankiness (3+6 caps/day).
Ecdysterone-this helps out with VO2 and EPO production. For those that don't wtf that means, basically this is a great supplement for cardio (500mg active/day).
Rhodiola-mood enhancement, sleep aid, and helps with cardio. It's also very, very cheap (300-400mg @ 3% rosavins/day).
Activate Extreme-outside of the nutrient repartitioning, sleep aid, and strength gains, this supplement gives me the best, or worst, aggression. This combined with RPM makes me want to really, really hurt people (6 caps/day).
Drive-reduces BF, increases cardio and aggression, and great mood enhancer...enough said (6 caps, 5x/wk).

Avoid

These are supplements that I would avoid or minimize for various reasons.

Yohimbine HCl-BP and cardio killer
Clenbuterol-same reasons as Y-HCl
Arachidonic Acid-don't get me wrong, I love this supplement, but when gearing up for a fight, it does more damage (literally) than good; save this for periods when you have 3 months between fights or DC use ~5 weeks prior to event

That is my list, but remember, without a solid diet, these will not matter. Train hard my friends.

very nice Rodja.:goodpost:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice addition, Rodja. This might actually be sticky worthy since people ask these questions every so often.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, appreciate it. The rep thing says I have to spread it around or somesuch before I rep you again. *Shrug*

BigCasino

BigCasino

Awards
  • Established
I dunno what they are talking about either Lucky. Palo Alto Lab's Leviathan fat burner contains Yohimbe HCL, and my cardio always improves when I take Leviathan... that could be from the other ingredients in it, but it certainly does not hurt it.

Could affect others differently. I do get the heavy heart beats from it though, but that does not bother me...