Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young
Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor
Brett Rogers vs. John Murphy

WEC 34 Main Card

Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver
Miguel Torres vs. Yoshiro Maeda
Rob McCullough vs. Kenneth Alexander
Mark Munoz vs. Chuck Grigsby

We'll only do the main cards bouts and follow the same rules as last time. Pick a winner, method of victory, and round it will end in. For Faber-Pulver, pick an actual finishing time as a tiebreaker.

All picks must be in by 6 PM EST on Saturday, and they are set at this time (ie, no changing your WEC picks because it will get too confusing).

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Kimbo by(t)ko r1
lawler by(t)ko r2
carano by decision
baroni by(t)ko r1
rogers by(t) ko r1

Faber by decision
Torres by sub R2
Mccullough by (t)ko R1
Munoz by t(ko) R2

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kevin Ferguson vs. James Thompson TKO Rd1
Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith TKO rd2
Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young TKO rd1
Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor UD
Brett Rogers vs. John Murphy SD

WEC 34 Main Card

Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver TKO rd2 2:35
Miguel Torres vs. Yoshiro Maeda Sub rd1
Rob McCullough vs. Kenneth Alexander TKO rd1
Mark Munoz vs. Chuck Grigsby
UD

Only a few good fights here, not overly impressed with Kimbo on CBS <just a side rant>

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
EXC "Primetime" Main Card

Kevin Ferguson - KO 1st
Robbie Lawler - KO 2nd
Kaitlin Young - KO 3rd
Phil Baroni - KO 1st
Brett Rogers - KO 1st

WEC 34 Main Card

Jens Pulver - KO 3rd 3:23
Miguel Torres - sub 1st
Rob McCullough - KO 1st
Chuck Grigsby - KO 2nd

Damn you, Torres, for ruining the KO festival. :aargh: I think Gina's going to have some cardio issues with the limited training she's done. I could also see JT playing the clinch and takedown game which he did in another one of his recent fights. He ain't the smartest, but you'd figure he'd learn after like 5 brutal recent KOs. I have a feeling Rogers is being groomed as a heavy handed future opponent for Kimbo.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
not GINA!!! :aargh:

I think you already called dibs on her.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Gina weighed in at 144.5. Sweet, she's getting bigger each time. Kimbo has a new chest hair pattern. :think:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gina weighed in at 144.5. Sweet, she's getting bigger each time. Kimbo has a new chest hair pattern. :think:

Looks like a fresh spider tat on his right pec, so he probably had to shave his chest for it.

That is a funky batch of burger meat.

Menacer

Menacer

Awards
Damn Kimbo looks enhanced. Do they drug test in the EliteXC?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The New Jersey state comission does and will I assume. I'm pretty sure he hit it in the past. However, now no MMA fighters juice ;)

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
that beard is like a defense mechanism...

and burger meat????? thats just gross man lol.

two free events back to back, what more can i say?

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Looks like a fresh spider tat on his right pec, so he probably had to shave his chest for it.

That is a funky batch of burger meat.
He's had that tat, and he's always shaved his chest weird.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone heard of James Thompson before this? I mean with all the hype about Kimbo I'd like to see him fight someone with solid stand up besides TANK

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
I was being serious. James Thompson is more established in MMA than Kimbo.

Ive been involved in MMA for years just don't remember ever hearing of James Thompson. Who has he fought and who does he train with?

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
FightFinder him.

Just did and read something about him being a debt collector in the past and the light bulb came on. I remember him from PRIDE as the Debt Collector, he's not bad.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
Just did and read something about him being a debt collector in the past and the light bulb came on. I remember him from PRIDE as the Debt Collector, he's not bad.

Scratch the he's not bad part. Upon further research.. He's been knocked out 6 of his last 8 fights, probably why I couldn't think of who he was.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Sadly Kimbo has been fighting nothing but fighters with losing records, to ensure & continue the HYPE & keep Elite alive. Even with him they are losing millions. Most of the fighters are sub par compared to UFC.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
What the hell was growing out of Thompson's ear! That was gross! Kimbo was lucky...the Ref should have called the fight in favor of Thompson when he was raining elbows on Kimbo unanswered in the second. Favoritism & a gift for Kimbo for sure.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
This event was a joke. Kimbo was TKO'd in round 2 from ELBOW strikes. He couldn't even get back to guard.

WTF, a white belt with 1 day experience in BJJ could escape that position.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
There is a case to be made that every single fight was stopped too soon. What a huge disappointment. Kimbo was exposed by a mediocre fighter, finally. I can't wait til he takes a real fight and gets destroyed.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My event review (except for the Carano fight)

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
There is a case to be made that every single fight was stopped too soon. What a huge disappointment. Kimbo was exposed by a mediocre fighter, finally. I can't wait til he takes a real fight and gets destroyed.

x2. If the 2nd round would've been 15 seconds longer, it would've been over with Thompson winning. Worst part about it is Thompson's very subpar to begin with, if not just plain bad. A fighter shouldn't even be allowed to fight with that bad of a cauliflower ear. After the fight I actually felt bad for Slice, he looked like he was gonna have a heart attack. He had to cut the post fight interview short cuz he couldn't breathe. If he even fights again and it's against someone who's barely average, Slice will get slaughtered. It'd be entertaining to see Rogers whip Slice. Brett Rogers told Slice after the fight that he didn't deserve to win, and he tapped out earlier in the fight but the ref didn't catch it.

After the fight:

Tapped.jpg

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i saw him tap in the first round with that standing gullotine.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
does anyone else think that the Kimbo fiasco was a work? I hate to pull that card out, but can Thompson be that bad on the ground that when Kimbo is giving him his left arm he doesnt know what to do with it?

the saddest part is that the average fan that watched last night was probably impressed with Kimbo, when in actuality he showed that anyone with half a ground game would kill him. Hell, Lesnar would have destroyed him

Menacer

Menacer

Awards
the saddest part is that the average fan that watched last night was probably impressed with Kimbo, when in actuality he showed that anyone with half a ground game would kill him. Hell, Lesnar would have destroyed him
You're exactly right, Kimbo is a joke and anyone who knows anything about the sport has to be disgraced with the "main event" from last night. I would love to see Kimbo fight Frank Mir and get a bone broken immediately. Kimbo looked like he was high on a sedative or something. I thought Bass would have Kimbo ready to deliver the "danga da danga da dang"..

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Thompson's very subpar to begin with, if not just plain bad. A fighter shouldn't even be allowed to fight with that bad of a cauliflower ear.

I think alot of U guys are expecting to see these heavyweights to have the same endurance as smaller fighters like we are accostomed to seeing in the UFC. Thompson weighs 265 lbs. Don't espect the same from these monsters as U would from light heavyweighgt 200lbers or Middleweights. That's why there are different weight classes.
That's why Dana White concentrates on smaller fighters because he knows it's more entertaining.

P>S that was no cauliflower ear....that was some kind of infection...they even commented on the Puss.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Thompson's very subpar to begin with, if not just plain bad. A fighter shouldn't even be allowed to fight with that bad of a cauliflower ear.

I think alot of U guys are expecting to see these heavyweights to have the same endurance as smaller fighters like we are accostomed to seeing in the UFC. Thompson weighs 265 lbs. Don't espect the same from these monsters as U would from light heavyweighgt 200lbers or Middleweights. That's why there are different weight classes.
That's why Dana White concentrates on smaller fighters because he knows it's more entertaining.

P>S that was no cauliflower ear....that was some kind of infection...they even commented on the Puss.
Why do you keep posting?

size

Awards
  • Established
I think ELiteXc was praying Thompson would lose. I also think the ref was feeling that pressure as well. Thompson was screwed over. First, they are forced to stand up b/c Thompson has side control and kimbo in doing nothing to stop him? That is a very questionable call. Then the approximately 20 unanswered blows Thompson delivers that are completely not defended yet no stoppage? Punches may not have done damage but the fighter is not defending himself. Finally, Thompson is hit and his ear bursts and he is wobbly and this gets a stoppage? Makes no sense.

I honestly have to wonder about this fight which is very bad for MMA.

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
I think ELiteXc was praying Thompson would lose. I also think the ref was feeling that pressure as well. Thompson was screwed over. First, they are forced to stand up b/c Thompson has side control and kimbo in doing nothing to stop him? That is a very questionable call. Then the approximately 20 unanswered blows Thompson delivers that are completely not defended yet no stoppage? Punches may not have done damage but the fighter is not defending himself. Finally, Thompson is hit and his ear bursts and he is wobbly and this gets a stoppage? Makes no sense.

I honestly have to wonder about this fight which is very bad for MMA.

I agree with you totally. Another major issue that frustrates me is the fact that Thompson never tried to mount Kimbo whenever Kimbo wasn't even defending, his legs were flat on the ground the entire time. That sh** is MMA 101 so its just a little fishy.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
My thoughts were pretty much the same as Size's. Thompson not mounting him was weird, but I don't think he has much of a ground game. Also, Kimbo's "unreal power" couldn't KO Thompson with multiple direct hits, despite his suspect chin. I'm glad Kimbo got exposed, but I hope it doesn't kill EXC on CBS.

I thought the first 3 fights were fun. Smith-Lawler was turning out to be pretty good until the disappointing ending. Robbie should have ended it earlier if you ask me, but Smith can take a punch. The crowd sucked for booing them at points. Robbie was killing Smith with those kicks to the ribs. Not sure why he stopped? Smith was hanging pretty tough, maybe even winning the rounds after the first.

Gina looked good out there so I guess I ate my words. She clearly had the better standup and can take a punch too. They used a terrible camera angle, and I didn't even realize that she was trying a gogo at first. Young tried some dumb kick combos that Gina saw coming a mile away. Glad they stopped that one because seeing a chick get beat down like Tanner-Franklin or Shamrock-Tito I would be horrible for the sport.

Joey V must hit really hard because Baroni has a good chin. Baroni's lost how many straight?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I despised that crowd - Jesus.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Baroni is a sad fighter, he has shown nothing over his last several fights, however, he can be fun b/c he will throw with anyone.

in terms of Kimbo, since he is their "face" of mma, he has to win, the ref knew it, the execs knew it, they all did, that is why it was so odd. However he is NOT an mma fighter for all the reasons explained in this thread. I would love to see him fight a real mma trained fighter, but they will never let that happen, as he will be finished in minutes if not seconds

Hard Knox

Hard Knox

Awards
  • Established
My thoughts were pretty much the same as Size's. Thompson not mounting him was weird, but I don't think he has much of a ground game. Also, Kimbo's "unreal power" couldn't KO Thompson with multiple direct hits, despite his suspect chin. I'm glad Kimbo got exposed, but I hope it doesn't kill EXC on CBS.

I thought the first 3 fights were fun. Smith-Lawler was turning out to be pretty good until the disappointing ending. Robbie should have ended it earlier if you ask me, but Smith can take a punch. The crowd sucked for booing them at points. Robbie was killing Smith with those kicks to the ribs. Not sure why he stopped? Smith was hanging pretty tough, maybe even winning the rounds after the first.

Gina looked good out there so I guess I ate my words. She clearly had the better standup and can take a punch too. They used a terrible camera angle, and I didn't even realize that she was trying a gogo at first. Young tried some dumb kick combos that Gina saw coming a mile away. Glad they stopped that one because seeing a chick get beat down like Tanner-Franklin or Shamrock-Tito I would be horrible for the sport.

Joey V must hit really hard because Baroni has a good chin. Baroni's lost how many straight?

Thompson has 24 pro fights under his belt so I'm sure he knows how to mount an opponent, thats pretty much instinct when it comes to gound fighting. It was good to see Baroni lose, he has now lost his last 4, and with his entrance the way it is I'm sure he could go to WWE and get his a** kicked with a lot less pain involved ha ha.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL it did remind me of WWE for a second there. Baroni is a cool character in my book he may not be that good but hell, he'll fight.

this primetime EliteXC is horrible for the sport imo, they are going about it all wrong it looks more like a spectcle than a sport......ProWrestling/WWF esque.

OHH! .....and Kimbo is complete garbage! :dump:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You're right, Reaper. Another thing, Thompson is one of the clumsiest fighters that you'll ever see. His TD attempts looked bad yet he was still getting him to the ground a majority of the time. This fight should definitely sink Kimbo's stock a lot. Sadly, Kimbo had a decent chance of KOing JT in HL reel fashion if the ref didn't step in. That might have saved his image a little to the casual fan.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thompson has 24 pro fights under his belt so I'm sure he knows how to mount an opponent, thats pretty much instinct when it comes to gound fighting. It was good to see Baroni lose, he has now lost his last 4, and with his entrance the way it is I'm sure he could go to WWE and get his a** kicked with a lot less pain involved ha ha.
I'm certainly familiar with JT, but he has always been predominantly a standup fighter until lately when he's been
KOed left and right. I'm sure he knows how to mount, but can he keep from getting bucked and can he mount any offense there? He had trouble keeping Kimbo down in side control a few times and was clearly pretty sloppy on the ground. I've seen plenty of guys mount someone and achieve almost nothing with it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

I don't even know what to say about Kimbo/Thompson. I overrated Kimbo's power, which I still believe is pretty good, but he only has it for the first 60 seconds. Kimbo was exposed which is good in a sense. Volcolm is probably broken up about this.

The rest of the fights were pretty good, imo. 2 brutal KO's and a chick beatdown. Lawler/Smith was pretty exciting. I didn't see Smith winning any of the rounds, even the 2nd, but it was close. Hopefully the re-match will be more of the same, minus the bs stoppage.

Good news is we have Jens/Faber tonight. UFC 85 next weekend, and then another decent looking Elite XC event the following weekend.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm certainly familiar with JT, but he has always been predominantly a standup fighter until lately when he's been
KOed left and right. I'm sure he knows how to mount, but can he keep from getting bucked and can he mount any offense there? He had trouble keeping Kimbo down in side control a few times and was clearly pretty sloppy on the ground. I've seen plenty of guys mount someone and achieve almost nothing with it.
I can't believe you labeled JT a brit-thug-banger. Almost as bad as my overestimation of Kimbo's power.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i thought carano was feeling sorry for the chick towards the end when she was just battering her. I think thats why she went for the sub cuz she knew it wouldnt be pretty bashing the chicks face in.

i thought the fights were good i like the Lawler fight but sad it ended that way. Those body kicks looked brutal!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I don't even know what to say about Kimbo/Thompson. I overrated Kimbo's power, which I still believe is pretty good, but he only has it for the first 60 seconds. Kimbo was exposed which is good in a sense. Volcolm is probably broken up about this.

The rest of the fights were pretty good, imo. 2 brutal KO's and a chick beatdown. Lawler/Smith was pretty exciting. I didn't see Smith winning any of the rounds, even the 2nd, but it was close. Hopefully the re-match will be more of the same, minus the bs stoppage.

Good news is we have Jens/Faber tonight. UFC 85 next weekend, and then another decent looking Elite XC event the following weekend.
YEah, I thought of that too. That he may just lose his power quickly, but I wanted to rip him. Volcom probably offed himself. You've always had love for the afro-slug-thugs :)blink:), Martin, McFedries, and now Kimbo. You're right to call me out on my nearly annointing JT a BTB. I was so off on that one. Luckily, Taylor is fighting at UFC 85 :head:

I think I had round 1 to Lawler, 2 about even, and 3 I don't really remember but it was close as I recall.

You forgot that Dream IV is in 2 weeks too, I think.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
YEah, I thought of that too. That he may just lose his power quickly, but I wanted to rip him. Volcom probably offed himself. You've always had love for the afro-slug-thugs :)blink:), Martin, McFedries, and now Kimbo. You're right to call me out on my nearly annointing JT a BTB. I was so off on that one. Luckily, Taylor is fighting at UFC 85 :head:

I think I had round 1 to Lawler, 2 about even, and 3 I don't really remember but it was close as I recall.

You forgot that Dream IV is in 2 weeks too, I think.
That's right, Dream 4 is looking pretty good. I'm a little pissed about no CC/JLB though. I'm not sure why I'm such a fan of the AST's, but I surely give them too much credit. I hope Volc is ok, if he offed himself we'll play that racist(I'm fvcking kidding) hawaiian song at his funeral.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MMA 28
MMA 8
Alexander MMA 27
VolcomX311 MMA 41
jas123 MMA 21