Cung Le wins

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
He won via Frank being unable to continue. He looked very good in the fight. I expect to hear a lot about where Le is in the middleweight rankings.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That was an unbelievable fight. Le should be somewhere around #10 after that fight. Frank wasn't ranked in the top 10, but that's still a big win. Lawler/Le would be an amazing fight, not sure who I'd pick.

Mike Kyle got submitted by the worst armbar I've ever seen. The rest of the card was pretty entertaining.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm glad Kyle got subbed and hope he never fights again.

Le/Shamrock was an exciting fight but too much showboating for my liking. If there's a rematch, I think Frank will maul him and won't mess around. I was impressed by Frank's chin as he took some good shots and had Cung hurt near the minute mark of round 3.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the showboating was excessive, it loses it's meaning when done to that extent. I though Frank was gonna finish Le when he had him hurt near the end of the 3rd. Whatever, that was a great fight.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
FYI: DON'T PUT SPOILERS IN THE TITLE!

I already saw the fight, but some people probably didn't, and don't want the results yet.

I think Frank could have won if he pressed the TD. He even had Cung in trouble at one point standing.

Great fight for both guys. It was only a matter of time before Frank's arm would break after defending all those takedowns. Perhaps the most underappreciated aspects of mma is the pain of defending strikes.

Fickett's guillotine was nasty. Did you note how he wrapped up the right arm? That was a terrible position for the Korean; solid showing for Drew. I don't know why, but I always find myself rooting for him.

KurtisWicked

KurtisWicked

Awards
I'm glad Kyle got subbed and hope he never fights again.

Le/Shamrock was an exciting fight but too much showboating for my liking. If there's a rematch, I think Frank will maul him and won't mess around. I was impressed by Frank's chin as he took some good shots and had Cung hurt near the minute mark of round 3.
Finally someone else who knows about this guy. Kyle should be banned, period. Haven't seen the Shamrock/Le fight yet dammit. I'll catch it tomorrow.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

I already saw the fight, but some people probably didn't, and don't want the results yet.

I think Frank could have won if he pressed the TD. He even had Cung in trouble at one point standing.

Great fight for both guys. It was only a matter of time before Frank's arm would break after defending all those takedowns. Perhaps the most underappreciated aspects of mma is the pain of defending strikes.

Fickett's guillotine was nasty. Did you note how he wrapped up the right arm? That was a terrible position for the Korean; solid showing for Drew. I don't know why, but I always find myself rooting for him.
Is Fickett insane or what? He kept yelling Knight Rider and posing for some odd reason. Then he goes on to say he is Mexican. It was out of character for even him. He must have been drunk or high, maybe he has ADD too.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Finally someone else who knows about this guy. Kyle should be banned, period. Haven't seen the Shamrock/Le fight yet dammit. I'll catch it tomorrow.
We all know about Kyle. The guy illegally soccer kicked Brian Olsen in the face at a WEC event almost 2 years ago. He was suspended for a year. He's done plenty of other sh*t. He's always trying to continue beating an already KO'd or helpless opponent, even when the ref is trying to stop the fight. He's an absolute piece of sh*t and I'm glad he lost. He's a fool, I remember him saying him and Eilers were both top 5 HW's before their fight where Eilers KO'd him.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

Takedowns?:cheers:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Takedowns?:cheers:
ESO!!!! Frank had some major balls for fighting Le on Le's terms. Frank clearly had more power, and could have won the standup too.

Fickett is supposedly a whack job, but an amusing one. He definitely seems like a good guy. Did anyone hear about the big fiasco he was involved in at NAGA? I forget the details, but you can probably find it at the Underground.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ESO!!!! Frank had some major balls for fighting Le on Le's terms. Frank clearly had more power, and could have won the standup too.

Fickett is supposedly a whack job, but an amusing one. He definitely seems like a good guy. Did anyone hear about the big fiasco he was involved in at NAGA? I forget the details, but you can probably find it at the Underground.
:rofl:

I'm so glad someone finally shut Frank up, the most over rated fighter and biggest ego in MMA. What I would give to see Anderson Silva own him worse than he did Franklin the first time.

Amazing fight.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I was hoping CNorris was a shamrock fan...

I like Le also.. but I won't admit that I have something in common with CNorris.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Frank needs to start going or the kill when he has someone hurt. He landed that right in th ethird and should have immediately pounced on him. He let Baroni hang around too.

Le won all 3 rounds IMO. He's defintely got good standup and those kicks are tough to deal with it if you don't have to worry about the takedown.

What's up with fighters not catering to their strengths?

Jensen got KOed in nasty fashion :sad:

Holy shyt Davidson might win....

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

What does ESO mean? Fickett is definitely a character. He looks like Kabuki, a powerlifter on this site.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Frank needs to start going or the kill when he has someone hurt. He landed that right in th ethird and should have immediately pounced on him. He let Baroni hang around too.

Le won all 3 rounds IMO. He's defintely got good standup and those kicks are tough to deal with it if you don't have to worry about the takedown.

What's up with fighters not catering to their strengths?

Jensen got KOed in nasty fashion :sad:

Holy shyt Davidson might win....
I think Shamrock knew that he had little chance of taking Le down. I could be wrong.

The new born baby is lighting it up for Davidson. I think Kansas will pull it out in the end.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think Shamrock knew that he had little chance of taking Le down. I could be wrong.

The new born baby is lighting it up for Davidson. I think Kansas will pull it out in the end.
I think he would have a hard time except for timing a kick right. With all the kicks Frank should have had a chance. Frank couldn't close the distance and clinch fight either or didn't seem to want to. He was beating Cung in the clinch at the end o the third.

Cung's ground game is still a question mark.

Damn, Kansas is pulling it out.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think he would have a hard time except for timing a kick right. With all the kicks Frank should have had a chance. Frank couldn't close the distance and clinch fight either or didn't seem to want to. He was beating Cung in the clinch at the end o the third.

Cung's ground game is still a question mark.

Damn, Kansas is pulling it out.
Cung answered some serious questions last night, but you're right his ground game is a big question mark.

What does ESO mean?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Cung answered some serious questions last night, but you're right his ground game is a big question mark.

What does ESO mean?
No idea.

Yeah, I guess I made it sound like Frank did everything wrong rather than Cung being elusive. He was for sure. I think Joey V - Cung would be a good test for him. Villa would probably try to GnP him so it would answer more questions. Ninja or Lawler or Hose would also make or some good fights. Anderson would destroy him in the standup, though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No idea.

Yeah, I guess I made it sound like Frank did everything wrong rather than Cung being elusive. He was for sure. I think Joey V - Cung would be a good test for him. Villa would probably try to GnP him so it would answer more questions. Ninja or Lawler or Hose would also make or some good fights. Anderson would destroy him in the standup, though.
Those would all make for good fights. Whoever fights him has to go for the kill early and often. If you hang out with him at all he's gonna pick you apart and wear you down. The longer the fight lasts with him, the less chance you have. No sense in playing his game at all, it won't work.

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
Too much showboating indeed from Shamrock and even Cung Le at times too. But Frank should have went to the ground after round 2 since it was apparant that Cung Le was winning and I suspect Shamrock would have won if he had done so. If his arm had not been broken his chances of winning the standup were imminent too. But Le was the better man and I was certainly impressed by his powerfull and accurate kicks.

He's got a long list of experienced fighters to go through yet but more so, different styles to deal with, in his early career. I hope he does good.

I'd put him in against a pure wrestler next.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Eso means "that", meaning the takedowns you referred to. Sorry, it just went of in my head.

I don't know if Anderson would necessarily own Cung Le in the standup, but he is definitely a better MMAist.

The showboating was definitely over the top, but I loved how Frank was all smiles and swagger until Cung caught his kick and swept the leg (a la Johnny! to Ralph Macchio). The smile disappeared, and never returned.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to make a confession, but it's a confession related to this thread. My name is Samuel and yes I watched Never Back Down. Anyhoo, I swear the attitude of the antagonist in that movie was based on Frank Shamrock. Conceded, show-boaty, and full of condenscending smirks and crazy tongue wagging behavior.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You really watched that movie?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to make a confession, but it's a confession related to this thread. My name is Samuel and yes I watched Never Back Down. Anyhoo, I swear the attitude of the antagonist in that movie was based on Frank Shamrock. Conceded, show-boaty, and full of condenscending smirks and crazy tongue wagging behavior.
Oh boy. Ban reinstated and extended to 1 week. :ntome:

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Great fight for both guys. It was only a matter of time before Frank's arm would break after defending all those takedowns. Perhaps the most underappreciated aspects of mma is the pain of defending strikes...
Man, I'm eating my words from a few weeks ago now...I really wanted to see Le and Shamrock go to the ground. We all know what Le is capable of standing up and apparently he's a good wrestler too (I didn't know that)...but what about his ground game? Oh well, I'll eat crow for now :cheers:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm really not too sure what i have to say about that.

It's sort of like you telling us that you were giving your buddy a massage and accidentally grabbed his balls. My first thought was/is "what were you doing in the first place?", followed by "why Volcom, why?".

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm really not too sure what i have to say about that.

It's sort of like you telling us that you were giving your buddy a massage and accidentally grabbed his balls. My first thought was/is "what were you doing in the first place?", followed by "why Volcom, why?".
hahaha. I really can't say anything, so I guess I'll just have to take it

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ha ha...I didn't know what you guys were talking about...until I went to youtube:

:rasp:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Volcom, your log is going to have to wait. I appreciate the confession, but a 1 week ban is necessary. However, if you can get 2 other people to admit to watching it the ban will be lifted. Thanks.

daniel35

daniel35

Awards
  • Established
My wife wanted to see a movie and it was either it or college road trip. Oh the humanity!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
So does that count toward my parole?
First of all, what do you think you're doing being here? Yes, that counts, one more and you're good to go. Make this count, we're looking to rag on someone. If you can get someone like Rodja to admit to it, you will receive a prize.

I checked out your log. Nice work. What are you looking to get down to?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was 197lbs 12% bf before I bulked up to 230lbs, so I'm thinking 205lbs would be a good lean size for me. I'm hoping of the 33lbs I added to my frame, 5-7lbs of it was LBM.

and thanks for checking it out.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That would be awesome if you could keep all your strength while dropping to 205. How is your back holding up?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not so good. It only prevents me from doing three exercises really, but they're major exercises, Deads, Heavy Rows and Smith One Arm Barbell Rows, which means I'll have to gauge my back strength primarily on weighted pull ups and hammer machines and that's a bit bootleg, but oh well. I love deads too.

Hitting 315lbs 5 times is the best I've performed on chest so far, and that's the other major indicator of strength I have, so it's not so bad.

I've had a slip disc with a pinched sciatic nerve before, which equates to walking around like a 90 yr old, a sharp pain that makes your eyes unwillingly water and lasts for about 45 sec to a 1 min each time you get out the car or up off a chair and literally rolling off my bed like a crippled old man. My current back strain doesn't debilitate real life, just some aspects at the gym, and I can live with that. Compared to what I've had to deal with in the past, this back problem is not even a deal, but thanks for asking.

Things could be better, but things have been much worse, so it's cool.

Last edited:
Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Well you've got a damn good attitude. What caused the injury originally? I'm pretty sure I asked before but I can't remember exactly.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
At the Deadlift station there's a rack about hip level. I was doing off the floor Deads about 3 feet away from the rack and after pulling 475lbs, I thought to myself, "I could either drop it to the floor where I have to deal with pulling off the weights with all sorts of complications, or I could stick it on the rack where I can pull the wheels off real conveniently." So I walked forward a few steps with the weight in my hands and I think thats when I felt the original yellow flag. I continued with 405lbs+ shrugs and I think that really aggravated the yellow flag to a red flag.

I figured it was a minor strain, but my back's been out of commission for almost 3 weeks now. I did some extremely light weight, high rep, pre-hab stuff for my lower back, like extensions, 65lbs rack deads, and low back machines and the next day my lower back was jacked, so I knew my injury was more severe then I initially assumed.

It's cool though, I can still cardio all I want and my heart is really into that right now, so I'm happy. Plus I was able to do standing military presses last week and that's a bit of progress.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not so good. It only prevents me from doing three exercises really, but they're major exercises, Deads, Heavy Rows and Smith One Arm Barbell Rows, which means I'll have to gauge my back strength primarily on weighted pull ups and hammer machines and that's a bit bootleg, but oh well. I love deads too.

Hitting 315lbs 5 times is the best I've performed on chest so far, and that's the other major indicator of strength I have, so it's not so bad.

I've had a slip disc with a pinched sciatic nerve before, which equates to walking around like a 90 yr old, a sharp pain that makes your eyes unwillingly water and lasts for about 45 sec to a 1 min each time you get out the car or up off a chair and literally rolling off my bed like a crippled old man. My current back strain doesn't debilitate real life, just some aspects at the gym, and I can live with that. Compared to what I've had to deal with in the past, this back problem is not even a deal, but that's for asking.

Things could be better, but things have been much worse, so it's cool.
Eesh, I know how that feels (the sciatic), same sensation but a different injury. I tore my Quadratus Lumborum among other things, and it was a painful experience.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eesh, I know how that feels (the sciatic), same sensation but a different injury. I tore my Quadratus Lumborum among other things, and it was a painful experience.
yeah, it's no fun. Mine lasted about 9 months, and I was relegated to 25lbs Db curls and 75lbs hammer presses. You'd be surprised how many unrelated exercises still cause pressure to the lumbar region to some extent.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, it's no fun. Mine lasted about 9 months, and I was relegated to 25lbs Db curls and 75lbs hammer presses. You'd be surprised how many unrelated exercises still cause pressure to the lumbar region to some extent.
Ahh, I wasn't out that long. I was in the hospital for a few weeks, then rehab for another 2-3 months. I started lifting in earnest again around October (injury occurred in June-July).

I still need to take frequent breaks due to my cumulative injuries; I hate being out, and don't plan to be out for a long time again.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, when your back is fvcked you are really screwed. It's amazing what just turning your head to the side does throughout your spine. Back injuries are weird, usually occuring while not even doing much. I hope your back feels better Volcom. You should go to elitefts.com and look into some of their methods for back repair/rehab.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, when your back is fvcked you are really screwed. It's amazing what just turning your head to the side does throughout your spine. Back injuries are weird, usually occuring while not even doing much. I hope your back feels better Volcom. You should go to elitefts.com and look into some of their methods for back repair/rehab.
Cool, thanks for the suggestion.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ah, and as fruity as it sounds, you can try Yoga. It's really helped me rehab., my lumbar region since my injury. The increase flexibility, circulation, and range of motion is really noticeable.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Ah, and as fruity as it sounds, you can try Yoga. It's really helped me rehab., my lumbar region since my injury. The increase flexibility, circulation, and range of motion is really noticeable.
I don't know if you watch Rob and Big, but Big Black doing Yoga was pretty solid.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rob and Big? I don't think I've heard of it. What's it about?