Who can beat Anderson Silva?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Who do you think would have a better chance of defeating Anderson: GSP coming up to 185 or Anderson moving up to face Rampage? Styles make fights, blah blah. Rampage would probably smash GSP even if GSP had fought at 185 for awhile and then moved up to 205. That obviously doesn't necessarily mean that GSP would be an easier fight for Anderson. That said, I think Page would have a very good chance of beating Anderson. I'd give Page a 50% chance and GSP maybe 30%. What are your thoughts?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It's hard to say how GSP would be at 185. Would his wrestling be top notch or would his size hurt him? He'd be a lot shorter than Anderson. I think GSP would mentally cave against a fighter like Anderson. However, it seems like a shooting for a takedown is better than taking him down from the clinch with Anderson. Henderson had a harder time taking him down than I thought he would. GSP wouldn't get wild like Hendo either. I'd give him a 20% chance at best.

Page could probably bully Anderson a little and take him too the floor. As long as he could stay out of the plum, I think he could pound away at Anderson from the ground. I'd say there's a 60% chance of a victory howl.

How about Machida?

I guess you're saying that no one will beat him at 185 essentially. No one currently in the UFC has a great shot. If Hendo could avoid getting wild, a rematch would be itneresting.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll reserve judgement until after GSP's next few fights.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I'd have to give the edge to GSP, he's probably just as fast as anderson but more explosive. He's well rounded enough to catch a kick and take anderson down and control him on the ground enough and escape any submission attempts. I think there's would be the best matchup.

As far as Rampage, Silva's too fast he could probably just stay on the outside peppering him with combo's and circling away, he's a very patient fighter that way. But once he sees his opening he's on you like white on rice.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
It's hard to say how GSP would be at 185. Would his wrestling be top notch or would his size hurt him? He'd be a lot shorter than Anderson. I think GSP would mentally cave against a fighter like Anderson. However, it seems like a shooting for a takedown is better than taking him down from the clinch with Anderson. Henderson had a harder time taking him down than I thought he would. GSP wouldn't get wild like Hendo either. I'd give him a 20% chance at best.

Page could probably bully Anderson a little and take him too the floor. As long as he could stay out of the plum, I think he could pound away at Anderson from the ground. I'd say there's a 60% chance of a victory howl.

How about Machida?

I guess you're saying that no one will beat him at 185 essentially. No one currently in the UFC has a great shot. If Hendo could avoid getting wild, a rematch would be itneresting.
That's a good point about the takedowns. Even if GSP gets him down, I don't know how he would do in Anderson's punishing preying mantis like guard? Page on the other hand could probably use his brute strength to be a threat in Anderson's guard. I think your 20 and 60 might be a better bet. Page's chin would be a big advantage too. GSP's little Kermit the Frog(Norris should like that) head might get put to sleep.

We'll see how GSP looks against Serra, but I don't think that will show us much. GSP is gonna dominate Serra, real bad.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'll reserve judgement until after GSP's next few fights.
It's gonna be hard to determine much if he fights Serra and then Fitch. Those guys aren't even in Anderson's league. GSP will dominate both of them. I think Kos is probably GSP's biggest threat and he already took care of him rather easily. I'd be thrilled if GSP beat Serra and immediately moved up and faced either Okami/Franklin/Bisping, etc. Maybe one more fight after that and then time for Anderson/GSP. I don't know if they can keep Anderson occupied at 185 for that long though.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's gonna be hard to determine much if he fights Serra and then Fitch. Those guys aren't even in Anderson's league. GSP will dominate both of them. I think Kos is probably GSP's biggest threat and he already took care of him rather easily. I'd be thrilled if GSP beat Serra and immediately moved up and faced either Okami/Franklin/Bisping, etc. Maybe one more fight after that and then time for Anderson/GSP. I don't know if they can keep Anderson occupied at 185 for that long though.
I meant more psychologically. In terms of skill-sets, GSP could beat Anderson. All things being equal, I would give him a 50/50 chance. I only discount him because of his head, and that's why I want to see his attitude in these fights.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Page doesn't know how to defend against knees either, he just tries to use brute strength to get out of a clinch, which works against most.
With a good thai clinch they're not just pulling on your neck like we see most people do. They'll use there elbows as a lever in the guy's shoulders and pull the top of the head down. You have maybe a millisecond to escape.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Page doesn't know how to defend against knees either, he just tries to use brute strength to get out of a clinch, which works against most.
With a good thai clinch they're not just pulling on your neck like we see most people do. They'll use there elbows as a lever in the guy's shoulders and pull the top of the head down. You have maybe a millisecond to escape.
True, I wonder if Juanito has done anything to address that. Griffin will probably try to thai clinch him(at least he should), decent chance we'll get to see if Page has improved his defense.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Aside from BJ moving up, I think that you're right in that Kos is the only real threat to GSP. If he could tailor his wrestling to a more defensive style and then try to out-strike GSP, then maybe he'd have a chance, although not good.

I could see a big 185 dude like Franklin sprawling on GSP and eventually KOing him, but I'm not sure Rich has it anymore.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aside from BJ moving up, I think that you're right in that Kos is the only real threat to GSP. If he could tailor his wrestling to a more defensive style and then try to out-strike GSP, then maybe he'd have a chance, although not good.

I could see a big 185 dude like Franklin sprawling on GSP and eventually KOing him, but I'm not sure Rich has it anymore.
If GSP had never lost to Serra, and continued on to destroy Hughes x 3, Fitch, whoever, I'd bet on GSP in a fight against Silva. He was formerly relentless in his striking, has very good sub defense, and is far more explosive than anything Anderson has faced.

I mean, look how Hendo controlled that first round, and I think GSP is more competent on the ground than Hendo (though it was really the standup which did him in).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honestly, I think GSP, Kang, and maybe Lindland are the only ones with >25% chance.

S

size

Awards
  • Established
Matt Lindland.
Sadly, UFC continues to not allow Matt Lindland back into the mix.

Does no one think Chonan can get a repeat? ;)

I would like to see Machida drop down in weight and fight Silva. I think it would make for a very interesting stand up battle but it will not happen.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
did GSP say he was going to move up? why all the talk of him moving up? at 185 i dont think anyone can beat Silva. If they do it would be pretty lucky.

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
I like GSP a lot,and hopefully he comes back around, I don't think there is anyone who can take Silva out right now! The man is just SO fluid, and versatile in his attacks. He throws the best and most precise combonations I have ever seen. I mean he uses it all! Punches, kicks, knees, elbows, everything in combonations! He's effing SICK!

KurtisWicked

KurtisWicked

Awards
Why are people still giving GSP a chance against Silva? At 170 GSP is a force and would be VERY hard to beat but at 185 I'm not sure, let alone against Silva. He could handle some of the lower level guys but no one top 5.

Back on topic, not many. Silva's striking is light years ahead of most of the fighters out there. He'd KO Liddell, Wand, Shogun, Jardine, Machida, and I think he'd take Rampage. He demolished Hendo in the second round.

aquanutz

aquanutz

Awards
  • Established
Butterbean.

Don't think he'd make weight though....

xtreme1

xtreme1

Awards
GSP at 185 will get destroyed by Anderson Silva. The only way Silva will get tested is at 205. He has great speed and muay thai and bjj he would do fine at 205. I would like to see him go against W silva or even someone like Mike Bisping or rashad Evans. Remember Anderson has everything over most of the 205 class but power but he has enough of everything else to beat them all. if he goes down in weight the only one that may have the compleat package to give him a fight is GSP and it wont be enough.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
At 185, Filho and Lindland have the best chances. Too bad he will never fight either one of them. Rampage would kill Anderson as would most top light heavies, lets not get delusional here.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
At 185, Filho and Lindland have the best chances. Too bad he will never fight either one of them. Rampage would kill Anderson as would most top light heavies, lets not get delusional here.
I don't think so. Recent history shows us that fighters can be very competitive in 'unnatural' weight classes (i.e., Hendo KO'ing Silva, Randy winning the HW belt). It's not delusional at all to assume he would.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
I don't think so. Recent history shows us that fighters can be very competitive in 'unnatural' weight classes (i.e., Hendo KO'ing Silva, Randy winning the HW belt). It's not delusional at all to assume he would.

How in the hell is heavyweight an "unnatural" weight class for Randy? When he beat Sylvia, that was what, the third time he won the UFC heavyweight title? Randy is a natural heavyweight, which is why 17 out of his 24 fights have been in the heavyweight division.

xtreme1

xtreme1

Awards
Most guys drop weight to fight at an unnatural weight so whats your point. They weight division you train to fight at and fight is you fight weight plain and simple.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Most guys drop weight to fight at an unnatural weight so whats your point. They weight division you train to fight at and fight is you fight weight plain and simple.
Thanks for filling us in. I dont think any of us knew this.

xtreme1

xtreme1

Awards
I am not the 1 talking about unnatural weights thats all. Nothing personal.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Xtreme, Robdog calm down.

The point was that a fighter's 'natural' weight class is one he has fought most of his career at. The point was then competing at a class higher than that is not completely impossible. Jesus.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Xtreme, Robdog calm down.

The point was that a fighter's 'natural' weight class is one he has fought most of his career at. The point was then competing at a class higher than that is not completely impossible. Jesus.
No ****. Thats why i was proving how wrong you were with your Randy comment. Randy has fought most of his career at hw, yet you stated that him competing at hw was a class higher than he normally competes at. Do you understand?

xtreme1

xtreme1

Awards
Its all in good fun Mullet. I Boxed competitive at 165 for my first 10 fights I was 7 - 3 at middle weight at 5'7 not to bad. I finished at 150 lbs and went 3 -0 then quit to do some judo and small circle jj. I hear what your saying about weights just having a lil fun. Great thread and to answer your A Silva question the only 1 that will beat A Silva is himself if he loses focus.

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
No ****. Thats why i was proving how wrong you were with your Randy comment. Randy has fought most of his career at hw, yet you stated that him competing at hw was a class higher than he normally competes at. Do you understand?
EASY ON THE TEST & TREN BRO!:blink: Friendly discussion here, lets not start :nutkick::FUfinger: each other!

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I like Chuck's chances due to his reach, KO power and chin. Chuck has the reach and power to test Anderson's chin. If Chuck cant drop or hurt him quick, I like Anderson's chances though.

I really like Machida's chances as well. I don't think GSP has a chance. He got KO'd by Serra, Silva will eat him alive.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
ok ok. I guess i got a little carried away:cheers:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I like Chuck's chances due to his reach, KO power and chin. Chuck has the reach and power to test Anderson's chin. If Chuck cant drop or hurt him quick, I like Anderson's chances though.

I really like Machida's chances as well. I don't think GSP has a chance. He got KO'd by Serra, Silva will eat him alive.
I think Anderson KO's Chuck. His attack is too varied and Silva's chin is solid as hell.

We all saw his glass chin with that 1 punch KO against Page. :twisted:

Maybe a big wrestler like Tito could actually hold him down and elbow him in brutal fashion. I still would like to see Silva against a good GnPer who shoots for single legs. Arona's actually a better choice now that I think about it, but he's not in the UFC.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think Anderson KO's Chuck. His attack is too varied and Silva's chin is solid as hell.

We all saw his glass chin with that 1 punch KO against Page. :twisted:

Maybe a big wrestler like Tito could actually hold him down and elbow him in brutal fashion. I still would like to see Silva against a good GnPer who shoots for single legs. Arona's actually a better choice now that I think about it, but he's not in the UFC.
I dont think you are really stupid enough to really think that Chuck has a glass chin from that one flash KO.

He took that punch right on the button. A very weak flash KO but Page did a good job getting the fight stopped. The most dissapointing fight in the history of MMA for all fans. Rampage's biggest fans included.

I agree that a GNP'er might be the best person to beat Anderson. Hell I think Brock would beat him. The 100+ pounds more of muscle would outweigh all of Silva's talent.

swole210

swole210

Awards
  • Established
I dont think you are really stupid enough to really think that Chuck has a glass chin from that one flash KO.

He took that punch right on the button. A very weak flash KO but Page did a good job getting the fight stopped. The most dissapointing fight in the history of MMA for all fans. Rampage's biggest fans included.

I agree that a GNP'er might be the best person to beat Anderson. Hell I think Brock would beat him. The 100+ pounds more of muscle would outweigh all of Silva's talent.

Until he gets put in another ankle lock........:blink: J/K!:trout: But size will definitely not allways make up for skills, especially superb skills.

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
A lot of 205ers could give Anderson a run for his money and he probably should move up in weight class. At 185 and under though very few could contend. I thought that Akiyama could possibly cause problems but after the Misaki fight I don't feel that way. Same with Kang, after getting KOd by Akiyama I have no doubt Anderson would do the same. I think Okami could frustrate Silva though and pull out a win.

GSP is too small and the reach disadvantage would mean him eating several shots. He might be able to secure a takedown though and pound or sub Anderson. They have pretty similar styles but Anderson has a better chin and I think once GSP gets tagged he won't want to stand and will resort to telegraphed shots and get pounded or subbed.

BJ Penn has a solid chin and I think may fair the best against Silva for anyone under 185. In the end he probably gets outmuscled but I'd like to see how he withstands Silva's striking.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I hate to agree with Cnorris :twisted:but you are 100%on here. At 205 Silva would be good but I do not think would dominate in the same fashion. If GSP moved up, I think it would be a slaughter for Anderson.

At 205 he would have trouble with Page, Chuck, Machida and also some of the bigger guys like Forrest (that pains me to say)

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you going to be alright?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Are you going to be alright?
Not if you keep saying stupid sh*t:blink: No, your point was good. Randy's actually the perfect example of a guy that competes against and does well against bigger men. He's usually outweighed by 20-30 pounds. He did have trouble in the past with big guys, Ricco and Barnett, but did well against Sylvia and Gonzo, who are both big dudes.

On a side note, I'd like to see Chuck fight at HW. He wouldn't be that small compared to most of the HW's and he could tee off on the slower fellas.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Chuck fighting at HW would just give him an excuse to party more since he wouldnt have to make weight. We have all seen how well chuck does when hes not in shape and I dont think he would be in good shape if he came in at HW. Just my opinion.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Chuck fighting at HW would just give him an excuse to party more since he wouldnt have to make weight. We have all seen how well chuck does when hes not in shape and I dont think he would be in good shape if he came in at HW. Just my opinion.
It might actually be more healthy. I've heard he cuts weight by snorting lines at clubs with the Mouth. :stick: :twisted:

Hilo boy, Penn would get dominated on the feet bad and probably KOed for the first time. I love BJ and think he's amazing, but I don't think that even his standup could compare to AS. I'm not sure if Penn could take him down either, but who knows.

Yeah Norris the :twisted: means I'm f-ing around. Chuck's got a solid chin, but I think it might be overrated. He really hasn't fought that many strikers and when he has, he's gotten dropped a lot: Wand, Jardine, Page, Page, Mezger (I think).

I'm still interested in seeing Anderson fight Okami. I want to make sure the Lutter fight was an after effect of the knee surgeries.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It might actually be more healthy. I've heard he cuts weight by snorting lines at clubs with the Mouth. :stick: :twisted:

Hilo boy, Penn would get dominated on the feet bad and probably KOed for the first time. I love BJ and think he's amazing, but I don't think that even his standup could compare to AS. I'm not sure if Penn could take him down either, but who knows.

Yeah Norris the :twisted: means I'm f-ing around. Chuck's got a solid chin, but I think it might be overrated. He really hasn't fought that many strikers and when he has, he's gotten dropped a lot: Wand, Jardine, Page, Page, Mezger (I think).

I'm still interested in seeing Anderson fight Okami. I want to make sure the Lutter fight was an after effect of the knee surgeries.
Yup, Mezger dropped him.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're forgetting that Mezger was not known as a big puncher. In 45 fights, he had only 2 KO's.

Menacer

Menacer

Awards
You're forgetting that Mezger was not known as a big puncher. In 45 fights, he had only 2 KO's.
Good point. I also think Jardine is an underated fighter especially after getting caught in the Alexander fight. I think after he beats Wandy we will see a very competitive Rampage v. Jaurdine title fight?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Good point. I also think Jardine is an underated fighter especially after getting caught in the Alexander fight. I think after he beats Wandy we will see a very competitive Rampage v. Jaurdine title fight?
Oh, you shouldn't have said that to Rodja. He would blow Wandy if given the opportunity.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Not a big puncher, but he had good power. 80% of his fights were in Pancrase, with open palm strikes only.