• RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats a shame, would have loved to see Penn school him again

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
The world of MMA will be severly shaken in 08 I fear.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
WVR. Who? There are too many new orgs popping and diluting the talent pool.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
WVR. Who? There are too many new orgs popping and diluting the talent pool.
I agree, too many organizations prevents good fights from happening, but then again, I don't see Dana White being the Ghengis Khan of the MMA world as fair either.

The force was more balanced when Pride was around.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
WVR is basically PRIDE revamped. Many of the same people are running it, and they're getting back a bunch of old PRIDE fighters.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
WVR is basically PRIDE revamped. Many of the same people are running it, and they're getting back a bunch of old PRIDE fighters.
Oh. I did hear something about that, but I didn't know that was the org doing it. Well, I'll take back my earlier statement. Pride never dies...

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Oh. I did hear something about that, but I didn't know that was the org doing it. Well, I'll take back my earlier statement. Pride never dies...
Pride is dead. No Fedor, Wandy, Shogun, Hendo, Nog, Anderson, Rampage, etc, it's pretty dead. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This thread just got really depressing...

Up side, one day until Nog hopefully smashes on Sylvia and doesn't fall under the curse of the cage like his previous Pride athletes, with the exception of Rampage of course.

And I'm hoping to be a fan of Lesnar. How good is Mir these days? Would it be a pretty legit victory? if there was a Lesnar victory??

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lesnars stand up is horrid.
I've never watched him strike really (most of the footage I've seen on him are his college wrestling days) so I'll take your word that his striking is horrid. However, in watching his training videos, he looks like if he caught you, even with an ugly punch, it's going to cause some damage. When he hits the bag, his punches look oddly powerful, maybe not the prettiest thing in the world, but they look nasty.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Mir has been around long enough to negate it. I picked lesnar... but I think Mir's chances are really good.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Has Lesnar learned or worked with anybody on any submission skills? Or is he banking on the ground and pound?

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Hes at Minnesota MMA. They have been bringing in really big guys for him to fight but techinically hes done BJJ for 3 months or so. They say he hasn't be tapped in practice but they havent had a 250 lb Black belt in there for him to grapple with.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Lesnars stand up is horrid.
What do you base this on? I'm sure you're right, but I'm just curious.

A lot of the muscle-bound wrestler types seem to have trouble striking and generating power while striking. Like Matt Hughes and Coleman, and Sherk's is decent but not so powerful unless he's just not committing.

Brock's best chances striking may be to push him up against the fence and slowly pound away until Mir tires. I still think Lesnar gets tapped in this fight.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
What do you base this on? I'm sure you're right, but I'm just curious.

A lot of the muscle-bound wrestler types seem to have trouble striking and generating power while striking. Like Matt Hughes and Coleman, and Sherk's is decent but not so powerful unless he's just not committing.

Brock's best chances striking may be to push him up against the fence and slowly pound away until Mir tires. I still think Lesnar gets tapped in this fight.
He's had no training. This came straight from Nick Thompsons mouth. Hes very awkward and his punches are slow and not very crisp.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hes at Minnesota MMA. They have been bringing in really big guys for him to fight but techinically hes done BJJ for 3 months or so. They say he hasn't be tapped in practice but they havent had a 250 lb Black belt in there for him to grapple with.
True that. I think all he can take away from 3 short months of JJ, combined with his wrestling is using it defensively. I think his natural power will help carry him, up into the point that tank starts gassing out. But I hear his conditioning is pretty solid.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
True that. I think all he can take away from 3 short months of JJ, combined with his wrestling is using it defensively. I think his natural power will help carry him, up into the point that tank starts gassing out. But I hear his conditioning is pretty solid.
He can do 5, 5 min rounds no problem with 5 fresh guys.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Hes very awkward and his punches are slow and not very crisp.
I see. I remember one of Bob Sapp's earlier fights in K-1 against Hoost. I knew nothing about K-1 at the time and expected Sapp to maul him, but his punches were in slow motion practically. Brock's like a smaller version of Sapp physique-wise so it makes sense.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
He can do 5, 5 min rounds no problem with 5 fresh guys.
I'm not sure that I buy this, at least not in the actual Octagon with the adrenaline dump effect, but Mir is not going to push the pace much later in the fight to capitalize.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday's Headline News when I opened Yahoo was a picture of Brock slumped against a wall and it said, "Fake Wrestler In a Real Fight?" talking about this Saturdays fight.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I see. I remember one of Bob Sapp's earlier fights in K-1 against Hoost. I knew nothing about K-1 at the time and expected Sapp to maul him, but his punches were in slow motion practically. Brock's like a smaller version of Sapp physique-wise so it makes sense.
Yeah, Bob Sapp's punches look like slow motion movements, which is why it looked so weird when he knocked out his opponents. He would barely scrape them and they'd react like they'd been hit with a log.

Sapp doesn't even really punch, he sort of sticks his arm out and pushes forward, that or he slowly hammer fists you to death.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You thought Sapp was gonna maul the greatest K-1 fighter of all time? Supposedly at least one of those fights was staged(Yakuza?). Sapp might be similar to Brock physique wise, but Brock is much faster and more explosive, but you knew that.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You thought Sapp was gonna maul the greatest K-1 fighter of all time? Supposedly at least one of those fights was staged(Yakuza?). Sapp might be similar to Brock physique wise, but Brock is much faster and more explosive, but you knew that.
Like I said, I knew nothing of K-1 at the time.

I'm sure he's more explosive, but it might be a "for his size" sort of thing. We'll see.