UFC 82 Rumors --- 3-1-08

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Date: March 1, 2008
Venue: Nationwide Arena
Broadcast: TBA

Champ Anderson Silva vs. Dan Henderson (for middleweight title)
Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono
Dustin Hazelett vs. Josh Koscheck
Jorge Gurgel vs. John Halverson
Luke Cummo vs. TBA

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
worth it for Hendo v. Silva alone

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
i dont think its right that henderson can go title shot to title shot. he could at least beat some scrub frist, at least get a win in the octagon

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
The fight with Hendo should be a good indicator of how Silva will do against Linland. I think Hendo is the better fighter and definitely has the better chin. Finishing Hendo will be a chore. I wonder how 25 minutes will play out for Anderson.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
worth it for Hendo v. Silva alone
I'll second that. BeO'wulf, you might have a point about 25 mins. Anderson's seemed to lack focus in the past in longer fights. He's had very short ones in the UFC, but I don't see him taking out Hendo quick.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
The fight with Hendo should be a good indicator of how Silva will do against Linland. I think Hendo is the better fighter and definitely has the better chin. Finishing Hendo will be a chore. I wonder how 25 minutes will play out for Anderson.
Good point about the time factor and Anderson. Hendo has a better chin than Lindland or Anderson? Definitely better than Lindland's, but Anderson's is just as good IMO, due to the fact that it's virtually impossible to get a clean shot on him, and when they do it doesn't seem to do much. I think Lindland might do better against Anderson than Hendo. Only because Hendo will risk more, and put himself in harms way. Lindland would octupuss Anderson and fight more conservatively. Anderson really has his mojo on full blast and I really think Hendo is getting TKO'd for the first time.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Fitch/Gono will be the best fight on this card.

ugab37

ugab37

Applied Nutriceuticals Rep.
Awards
  • Established
I like Hendo in this one. He's an amazing wrestler and at 185, he wont be as outsized as he has been previoulsy. We all know that one right hand and Silva goes to sleep, plus I see hendo on top if the fight goes to the ground. Dont get me wrong though, Silva's last few fights and complete domination of Rich was impressive as hell and I'd say he'll be the favorite with most people. I just think Dan could win this fight in several different ways and as noted above, his chin in great too.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Hendo can beat anyone but Anderson. Silva will be on top for a very long time.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I like Hendo in this one. He's an amazing wrestler and at 185, he wont be as outsized as he has been previoulsy. We all know that one right hand and Silva goes to sleep, plus I see hendo on top if the fight goes to the ground. Dont get me wrong though, Silva's last few fights and complete domination of Rich was impressive as hell and I'd say he'll be the favorite with most people. I just think Dan could win this fight in several different ways and as noted above, his chin in great too.
One right from Hendo won't put Anderson down, his chin is too good. Franklin landed a solid left to his chin that did nothing but build Anderson's confidence even more. Although had Murray caught him, he would have been tucked into bed and put to sleep. Anderson is really heavy handed too. THink about the huge shots that Martin landed on Leben at the end of that fight that did nothing, and then think about the first 2 or 3 straight punches from Anderson that dropped a fresh Leben and had him in serious trouble.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

See unibrow Tavares in the background. That one dude sounds annoying as hell. Anyways, it's just sparring, but with a guy that hits pretty hard, especially against a MW. It's an indicator of what type of chin Anderson has. Anderson has a better chance of KOing Dan, than the opposite, but Dan might control him on the ground for the W.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
WTF is with the dude yelling nonsense? Anyway, damn Anderson was doing his little head dance and making Nog (who doesn't hit THAT hard) look bad at the beginnning.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I know, I don't care if it was Junior Silva doing that annoying bantering, I would tell him to STFU. Yeah, Nog doesn't hit very hard, especially for a HW. He has stunned some guys with decent chins though, and I don't think he could hurt Anderson unless he was dead tired. I'm not saying that vid proved a damn thing, just a little tidbit.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Only 2 weeks out, what do you guys think of some of these fights?

Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson
Cheick Kongo vs Heath Herring
Jon Fitch vs Chris Wilson
Yushin Okami vs Evan Tanner
Chris Leben vs Alessio Sakara

Andrei Arlovski vs Jake O'brien
Josh Koscheck vs Dustin Hazelett
Diego Sanchez vs David Bielkheden
Luke Cummo vs Luigi Fioravanti
Jorge Gurgel vs John Halverson

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Only 2 weeks out, what do you guys think of some of these fights?

Anderson Silva vs Dan Henderson
Cheick Kongo vs Heath Herring
Jon Fitch vs Chris Wilson
Yushin Okami vs Evan Tanner
Chris Leben vs Alessio Sakara

Andrei Arlovski vs Jake O'brien
Josh Koscheck vs Dustin Hazelett
Diego Sanchez vs David Bielkheden
Luke Cummo vs Luigi Fioravanti
Jorge Gurgel vs John Halverson
I want to see the whole damn thing...pretty much.

Cummo vs Fioravanti has major potential. Both guys have agressive standup. Remember when Cummo KO'd Josh "The Human Thai Pad" Haynes :run: That was impressive considering Bisping couldn't KO Haynes, even though he was carrying an extra 35+lbs.

I'd like to see how Hazelett fares vs Kos. Hazelett is slick as hell on the ground and won't mind being on his back. I hope he catches Koscheck with a gogoplata from guard--I'm not joking.

Anything could happen in the main event. It may be one of the most competitive championship fight we've seen. Hendo could pose major problems for Anderson, but I hope Anderson pulls it out. Regardless, I think we'll see an absolute war. Anderson is so aggressive from his back that I think he'll prevent the dreaded LNP. Anderson does have crazy speed and versatility in his combos, so he could be the first man to stop Hendo with strikes. I can't wait.

I have thoughts on the rest of the fights too, but I'm too lazy to type it all out. Overall, I like the card. All matchups are interesting. Tanner vs. Okami may be as close as we'll ever see to one man fighting himself. I think Kongo takes out Herring. Sakara and Leben should be fun. Which Arlovski will show up? I don't think I have really seen AA vs. a wrestler. Does he KTFO Irish Jake, or will he be dry humped right out of the UFC.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I'll go out on a limb and pick silva for the win.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I want to see the whole damn thing...pretty much.

Cummo vs Fioravanti has major potential. Both guys have agressive standup. Remember when Cummo KO'd Josh "The Human Thai Pad" Haynes :run: That was impressive considering Bisping couldn't KO Haynes, even though he was carrying an extra 35+lbs.

I'd like to see how Hazelett fares vs Kos. Hazelett is slick as hell on the ground and won't mind being on his back. I hope he catches Koscheck with a gogoplata from guard--I'm not joking.

Anything could happen in the main event. It may be one of the most competitive championship fight we've seen. Hendo could pose major problems for Anderson, but I hope Anderson pulls it out. Regardless, I think we'll see an absolute war. Anderson is so aggressive from his back that I think he'll prevent the dreaded LNP. Anderson does have crazy speed and versatility in his combos, so he could be the first man to stop Hendo with strikes. I can't wait.

I have thoughts on the rest of the fights too, but I'm too lazy to type it all out. Overall, I like the card. All matchups are interesting. Tanner vs. Okami may be as close as we'll ever see to one man fighting himself. I think Kongo takes out Herring. Sakara and Leben should be fun. Which Arlovski will show up? I don't think I have really seen AA vs. a wrestler. Does he KTFO Irish Jake, or will he be dry humped right out of the UFC.
Me too. I hope they show 8 fights. I could do without Gurgel/Halverson, but all the other fights should be solid. I pretty much echo most of what you said. I think Arlovski is gonna punish O'brien, like he did Matyushenko. Anderson/Hendo is gonna be unreal, it's been quite some time since I've been this amped for a fight. I've been saying it for awhile, Hendo is taking his first KO loss, I hope.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Halverson is a friend of mine... but I just don't think he belongs in the UFC.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
O'brien sucks. He looked bad against Heath, but Heath looked 10 x worse to make it not so noticeable. AA should KO him by uppercut. If not, AA blows and needs to see GSP's sports shrink about his preception of his weak chin.

Excited about Okami-Tanner. I'll take Okami for being fresher, but hoprfully he won't :yawn: for 2 rounds.

Hendo-Silva? No idea. There's really no one to compare to Silva that Hendo's fought. I'll make a choice later and then flip on my boy at the last minute :twisted:

Kegger

Awards
Why hasn't AA been given a title shot? He beat Werdum, not very impressively, but he still beat the guy nonetheless. And Werdum defeated Gonzaga for the second time. AA should have been fighting Nogueira next!

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Why hasn't AA been given a title shot? He beat Werdum, not very impressively, but he still beat the guy nonetheless. And Werdum defeated Gonzaga for the second time. AA should have been fighting Nogueira next!
AA will eb released from his UFC contract following this fight I fear.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, AA wants more money so he won't resign with the UFC so they won't give him a title fight or any publicity as a result.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
If Arlovski didn't look so good, he would be out of the UFC by now. He fights so cautiously and really hasn't done anything impressive in the last 2-3 years. I hope he goes to M-1 or Dream and gets smashed by Kharitonov.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I could actually see 4 of 5 main event fights going the distance here, the exception being Leben vs. Sakara--though that too could go the distance. I neglected it before, b/c Sakara and Leben are probably C level fighters, but this could be entertaining as hell. Will Leben pull out another aesthetically repulsive KO? Will Sakara go A. Silva on his a$$? It'll be interesting how Sakara does in his first fight at MW, and he's with ATT, so hopefully he'll have a good plan.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
That sparring video was pretty impressive. Sounded like some make a wish kid got his wish to watch Anderson train.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Alright, Dan - Silva, the first mega-fight of 08.

Here's my question: How much did the Lutter fight tell us about Anderson?

Anderson looked pretty beatable in that fight, getting taken down with ease, mounted and pounded. A stoppage would be possible with Dan mounting him and pounding him with his heavier hands. But was that just the after-effects of Andersons alleged knee surgery on both knees 3 months before the fight with Travis? He's looked different since. I think Nate tried a take-down and did very little. Franklin couldn't get much working either when he had Anderson down. It seems pretty clear that you don't want to stand back in the guard and risk getting those upkicks that are nasty. But if you get in Andersons closed guard, is he vulnerable to GnP or passing?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
If you watch the Lutter fight again, there was no real damage done at all. Those punches from mount weren't really landing, just out of reach, and Anderson looked like he could eat those little things all day. I think Anderson is dangerous as hell from his back, and that is why he doesn't fight the TD more. He's comfortable there. Come on...he subbed the Michael Jordan of BJJ, stopping Lutter's meteoric rise. (BTW, meteors fall to earth, they don't rise).

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
One right from Hendo won't put Anderson down, his chin is too good.
Dude, a good right from Hendo would put down anybody. He definitely doesnt have the most technical standup, but his right hand is deadly.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Come on...he subbed the Michael Jordan of BJJ, stopping Lutter's meteoric rise. (BTW, meteors fall to earth, they don't rise).
:icon_lol:

Yeah I agree that he wasn't taking any damage, but if someone with more power like Hendo throws some more power into them, he may get a ref stoppage (whether justified or not) for not defending adequately sort of like when Hughes had Penn crucifixed and wasn't hurting him that much.

Robdog, I really think Anderson's chin is that solid. I'm pretty sure that he took a full power left from Franklin and didn't flinch. Dan probably hits harder, but I don't know how much it will effect him.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

Yeah I agree that he wasn't taking any damage, but if someone with more power like Hendo throws some more power into them, he may get a ref stoppage (whether justified or not) for not defending adequately sort of like when Hughes had Penn crucifixed and wasn't hurting him that much.

Robdog, I really think Anderson's chin is that solid. I'm pretty sure that he took a full power left from Franklin and didn't flinch. Dan probably hits harder, but I don't know how much it will effect him.
Throwin up LOL smiley's for the same joke, pathetic. Maybe you'll like this one: Vitor gave Eastman a vajayjay on his forehead:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Shame on you Beo, for using that same joke twice in such a short time period:hammer:

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established

Robdog, I really think Anderson's chin is that solid. I'm pretty sure that he took a full power left from Franklin and didn't flinch. Dan probably hits harder, but I don't know how much it will effect him.[/QUOTE

I am a fan of both fighters but I think Hendo will take this one. The biggest disparity in skill levels between the 2 fighters is in the wrestling department. Wrestling (especially takedown defense) is Anderson's one glaring weakness. As most people know, Hendo has wrestled at the olympic level. It is apparent that Silva has a big advantage over Hendo in the stand up, but not as big of an advantage as henderson has over silva in the wrestling. So on paper, the fight comes down to wrestling advantage vs. striking advantage, and MOST of the time wrestling>striking.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

Robdog, I really think Anderson's chin is that solid. I'm pretty sure that he took a full power left from Franklin and didn't flinch. Dan probably hits harder, but I don't know how much it will effect him.[/QUOTE

I am a fan of both fighters but I think Hendo will take this one. The biggest disparity in skill levels between the 2 fighters is in the wrestling department. Wrestling (especially takedown defense) is Anderson's one glaring weakness. As most people know, Hendo has wrestled at the olympic level. It is apparent that Silva has a big advantage over Hendo in the stand up, but not as big of an advantage as henderson has over silva in the wrestling. So on paper, the fight comes down to wrestling advantage vs. striking advantage, and MOST of the time wrestling>striking.
WTF is the problem with the quoting system? The fight starts standing though, bruv. You're right about the wrestling, but Anderson has some slick BJJ that has supposedly been improving at light speed.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Vitor gave Eastman a vajayjay on his forehead:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
:goodpost: The additional meteoric rise stuff booosted it to icon lol level again.

I still can't decide whether or not Dan can do much damage to Anderson on the ground given how his guard has looked.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost: The additional meteoric rise stuff booosted it to icon lol level again.

I still can't decide whether or not Dan can do much damage to Anderson on the ground given how his guard has looked.
Me having the potential to bang your non-existant wife is much funnier. LMK if we're betting or not. Who will you be rooting for? Both is not an option.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Me having the potential to bang your non-existant wife is much funnier. LMK if we're betting or not. Who will you be rooting for? Both is not an option.

No bet, too annoying to pay. I like them both honestly. Been a Dan fan longer so maybe I'll root for him, but Anderson's so damn excitng......

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Apparently you didn't catch the "both is not an option" part. I feel the same way you do, but for me Anderson's excitingness outweighs Hendo's career underdogness. And still.............

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Throwin up LOL smiley's for the same joke, pathetic. Maybe you'll like this one: Vitor gave Eastman a vajayjay on his forehead:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Shame on you Beo, for using that same joke twice in such a short time period:hammer:
Shame is my name, though I didn't realize I had used the same joke twice...and I don't care. Go play with your vajajay :D

How great would it be if you could kick a grounded opponent from your guard. No one would accept a fight with Anderson after what he did to Okami. That sh1t was crazy.

I will be pulling for Anderson, but this is too tough to call. I'm interested to see what the betting lines will look like. This is only 10 days away. I can't wait.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
Odds are already out man. Jas, I would take Alex's bet because thats better odds than what theyre giving in vegas. Money in the bank.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Apparently you didn't catch the "both is not an option" part. I feel the same way you do, but for me Anderson's excitingness outweighs Hendo's career underdogness. And still.............
I could make a choice, but I'll only change it. Who cares when the real #1, David Terrell is injured. :twisted:

Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
David Terrell, man that guy fell off the face of the earth after losing to Tanner.

I'm also conflicted as both Hendo and Anderson are deserving champs. I think Silva's style could match-up well with Dan's, especially since Hendo likes to drop his head. I would like to see Dan win only because I think he deserves some recognition by the casual fans and beating Silva would certainly garner it. It would also be easier to Anderson to bounce back after the loss. If I were betting I would take Silva though.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I gotta say I am truly a fan of Hendo and I think he wins, but this fight tonight is such a win win for everyone. I dont know anyone who dislikes either fighter so either way the best 185lber will be crowned. That said:

Hendo by GNP rd 4

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
jas123 MMA 33
TheMouth MMA 11
TheMouth MMA 31
jas123 MMA 46