Anderson Silva's Next Opponent Announced

1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

Anderson Silva's Next Opponent Announced

At the 78 Post Conference, Dana White announced it will be none other than Dan Henderson fighting for teh MW championship. I think we will see the end of Spider's reign

2. Gold Member

Damn, this could be a great fight. However, there is the potential for LNP. I wouldn't want to risk standing with A. Silva, and he's squirmy as hell, so Hendo might just try to hold him down in what could amount to a MW version of Edgar vs. Fisher.
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

I am torn on this fight, but I really think that if Hendo comes in ready, then he will take it. What event will this be at?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Registered User

Great news, this fight has huge potential. I hope Anderson KO's Dan.
  5. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

This fight has a huge upside, but an equally great downside to be a LNP showcase.

On a side note, what is Filho's contractual situation with the WEC?
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.

I've never seen hendo lay'n pray on anybody. It will be an exciting fight.
  7. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

If Hendo begins to trade with Anderson and enough accurate shots begin to fall he'll take it to the ground. I don't think there is much disputing that. Hendo can brawl, for sure, but I don't think he's unwise. If he begins losing trades, he'll take it down and keep it there. IMO.

Hence the potential for a LNP decision.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Nice. I don't think Dan will let the fight stay on the outside much. He'll work the clinch/dirty boxing game or the ground. Tough fight to call.
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

It will be March 1 UFC 82 I believe. Also at the Arnold.

If I was a betting man, I say Hendo by UD. I dont think Dan has ever been stopped with that granite chin.
  10. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper329 View Post
    It will be March 1 UFC 82 I believe. Also at the Arnold.

If I was a betting man, I say Hendo by UD. I dont think Dan has ever been stopped with that granite chin.
    He has been subbed by both of the Nog's, but never (T)KO'd. Anderson's BJJ could be very important in this fight, especially since he trains with the Nog's so frequently.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

I agree, I dont see him getting (t)ko'd. I could see this going all 5 rounds with Hendo taking him down at will and winning a dec. or getting subbed late due to gassing a bit. However, I dont see anyone else at 185 who can beat Silva, maybe Lindland but thats it
  12. Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by warriorway View Post
    I've never seen hendo lay'n pray on anybody. It will be an exciting fight.
    I only worry about LNP b/c Silva is so dangerous standing that Hendo won't want to stay there, and Silva is so active from his back, that it'll be tough for Dan to mount much offense w/o getting swept or caught in a sub...not to mention Anderson strikes pretty well from his back, too.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

Oh man...I feel like a little kid in a candy store reading this!
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  14. Registered User

this rocks. Silva all the way.
    I say sub 3rd round through a minor slip/mistake in Hendo actions that Silva quickly advances on.
  15. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I only worry about LNP b/c Silva is so dangerous standing that Hendo won't want to stay there, and Silva is so active from his back, that it'll be tough for Dan to mount much offense w/o getting swept or caught in a sub...not to mention Anderson strikes pretty well from his back, too.
    This is what I was thinking. Hendo might fear going on the offensive too much as Anderson is a great counter-puncher as well. Should be an amazing fight though.
  16. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    This is what I was thinking. Hendo might fear going on the offensive too much as Anderson is a great counter-puncher as well. Should be an amazing fight though.

Judging by his recent fights with Wand and Rampage, he wont be afraid to get in there and swing for the fences. Both bigger guys with proven KO power, esp Wand.

Its tough to guess how this fight will end up, but either way I havent looked forward to a fight this much for a long time. I hope Hendo takes it.
  17. Registered User

sick matchup....very excited for this...
  18. Registered User

Decision Dan fer sure
  19. Registered User

blah....decisions suck
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Judging by his recent fights with Wand and Rampage, he wont be afraid to get in there and swing for the fences. Both bigger guys with proven KO power, esp Wand.

Its tough to guess how this fight will end up, but either way I havent looked forward to a fight this much for a long time. I hope Hendo takes it.
    Yeah if you watch is fight with Page, he really protects his chin well, sometimes keeping a forearm across in front of it during flurries. I think he'll trade with Anderson some but not too much.
  21. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post

That's true. Wand and 'Page are both more powerful than Anderson, but I would counter not as accurate. I.e., if he starts to open up and Silva really begins connecting, he'll definitely take him down to try and pound out a decision.

Dan is definitely not afraid to trade though.
  22. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by john123131 View Post
    blah....decisions suck
    their lack of awesomeness doesn't prevent them from happening, Johnny Numbers.
  23. Registered User

This is a great matchup. It is going to end up on the ground for sure but Dan is not going to LnP... It might look like that because Silva is good at defending from his back but it'll be a war for sure.

Lindland is the only person I'd say is a lock versus Silva, his skill set is more well rounded than Hendo's and he's a more technical fighter overall.
  24. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo View Post
    This is a great matchup. It is going to end up on the ground for sure but Dan is not going to LnP... It might look like that because Silva is good at defending from his back but it'll be a war for sure.

Lindland is the only person I'd say is a lock versus Silva, his skill set is more well rounded than Hendo's and he's a more technical fighter overall.
    He's much more suseptable to the KO than Hendo is though, plus Dan's skill set has improved tremendously over the past little bit.
  25. Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo View Post

Ex, are you going to debut soon?
  26. Registered User

Ex, are you going to debut soon?
    I need to find a camp to train at. I've considered hitting up legends but they're too expensive... My Jujitsu instructor keeps offering to help/corner me but last tournament I was in, he was yelling useless **** like "good job, stay relaxed, etc" (i.e. the sort of sh1t I already know) so I ended up listening to the other side's corner and countering the advice he was giving.

If anyone knows a more reasonably priced establishment in the west LA area that will prepare and corner fighters I'd like to hear about it.

I'm in pretty good shape though, I could probably cut for 205 and be fight ready in ~4-5 weeks.
  27. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dancebot 2000 View Post
    He's much more suseptable to the KO than Hendo is though, plus Dan's skill set has improved tremendously over the past little bit.
    Dan's hands look MUCH better, tis true. Still not good enough though, in my opinion. This fight will be won with a grind out GnP decision or by a lindland/couture style dirty boxing (t)KO, which isn't really Dan's forte.
  28. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

I agree about Lindland, however as was said before I could see Silva ko him quickly. I think Hendo has the best shot b/c of the chin.

How about a recent interview with Frankie Shamrock thinking he could beat Silva. I love good ole frank
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.

I was hoping Hollywood would go down to 185lb. This will be a great fight i'm sure with those 2 being excellent fighters. I see Dan taking it any way he wants. Not easily though.
  30. Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    Nice. I don't think Dan will let the fight stay on the outside much. He'll work the clinch/dirty boxing game or the ground. Tough fight to call.
    He will apply the vice grip muai tai clinch and it's all she wrote. No one can stand with silva.

The best chance is on the floor, and Silva is a bjj black belt.
  31. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by USPLabs View Post
    He will apply the vice grip muai tai clinch and it's all she wrote. No one can stand with silva.

The best chance is on the floor, and Silva is a bjj black belt.
    Alas, the title of BJJ black belt does not carry the same weight as it once did. For example, Keith Jardine is a BJJ black belt. I don't think Anderson's BJJ is on the same level as the Nog's, who are the only fighters to ever finish Hendo, even though Anderson received his black belt from the Nog's.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  32. Gold Member

I hear you Rodja, all blackbelts were not created equal, but I think Anderson is damn good on the ground, and has improved a lot over the last few years. When he was with Chute Boxe, they were much more of a striking school. CB BJJ seems to have come along, too. It was originally a Muay Thai school. His training with the Nog's has paid dividends. Even before the elbows, Lutter had no chance to escape that triangle. And moves such as the armbar bait he gave Lutter when mounted as an opportunity to escape was either sheer stupidity or an utmost confidence in his abilities. We've also seen some beautiful sweeps from Anderson.

BTW, when Jas referenced the clinch, I think he was referring to Greco, not the MT plumb. This could be interesting, b/c if Hendo tries to work dirty boxing from the clinch, one mistake could give Silva the clinch, after which Hendo will be introduced to Franklin's plastic surgeon.
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

I hear you Rodja, all blackbelts were not created equal, but I think Anderson is damn good on the ground, and has improved a lot over the last few years. When he was with Chute Boxe, they were much more of a striking school. CB BJJ seems to have come along, too. It was originally a Muay Thai school. His training with the Nog's has paid dividends. Even before the elbows, Lutter had no chance to escape that triangle. And moves such as the armbar bait he gave Lutter when mounted as an opportunity to escape was either sheer stupidity or an utmost confidence in his abilities. We've also seen some beautiful sweeps from Anderson.

BTW, when Jas referenced the clinch, I think he was referring to Greco, not the MT plumb. This could be interesting, b/c if Hendo tries to work dirty boxing from the clinch, one mistake could give Silva the clinch, after which Hendo will be introduced to Franklin's plastic surgeon.
    Yes I was referring to the Greco. Dan better look to keep and underhook and keep him on the fence. He might be able to do some decent work there, but it's risky as hell.

Silva may not be a great pure bjj guy, but I think he combines his strikes and upkicks to make for a deadly ground game.

And don't even think we're gonna let you or Rodja win another contest.
  34. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    Yes I was referring to the Greco. Dan better look to keep and underhook and keep him on the fence. He might be able to do some decent work there, but it's risky as hell.

Silva may not be a great pure bjj guy, but I think he combines his strikes and upkicks to make for a deadly ground game.

And don't even think we're gonna let you or Rodja win another contest.
    I seriously should stat putting money on some of these cards. I would have made a killing from the past few events.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.

Unrelated: Henderson comes to my home town as a paid guest at a fight card with jose pele landi, landi get KTFO and henderson goes to one of the sponsors bars..... Couldnt compete with my punch stats on the punching machine.... haha dan would obv hack me like a broken twig but i hit harder that night. SWG - 1 Dan - 0..... Silva KO.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Don't underestimate Anderson's bjj game. He's quite flexible and he could be close to the level of the Nog brothers under which he trains. I'm not sure a decision is likely but even if it is we won't see a Hendo win via LnP. Plus Dan's conditioning is hit or miss so Silva may capitalize on a 5 round fight. The refs also have a tendency to stand up Silva fights so he can KO people. It will be interesting to see who can assert themselves in the clinch and the stand-up in general.

Both guys are ambassadors for the sport and whoever wins will continue to represent the title with dignity. I have to pull for Hendo though as I think he needs and deserves some stateside recognition. Plus if he loses it makes it easier for the UFC to dismiss him. If Anderson loses it's a setback but he'll be right back in title contention.
  37. Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
    Don't underestimate The refs also have a tendency to stand up Silva fights so he can KO people.
    I think it is also b/c he does a great job tying people up, buy yeah, the ref wants to see a great finish as much as the fans.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 03:33 AM
  2. Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones Jr.
    By The_Reverend in forum MMA
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 04:35 PM
  3. Who can beat Anderson Silva?
    By Alexander in forum MMA
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 10:36 PM