UFC has acquired Wandy.

tattoopierced1

Dana White: “We’ve Got Wanderlei Silva”
Posted by UFC Junkie on August 3, 2007 at 11:20 pm ET

Wanderlei SilvaIn a recent interview with a Las Vegas television station, UFC president Dana White said the UFC has acquired some of the world’s top fighters, and among them, he named PRIDE Fighting Championships veteran Wanderlei Silva (31-7-1 MMA, 1-2 UFC).

Last month, a deal fell apart in the final hours that would have pitted the former PRIDE middleweight champion against Chuck Liddell at UFC 76. UFCjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, MMA news, UFC rumors, UFC gossip, fighter interviews and event previews and recaps - UFCjunkie.com) first reported that a tentative agreement had been reached, but when Silva asked to fight in November rather September, the deal was scrapped and Liddell was instead scheduled to face Keith Jardine.

The two light heavyweights will now headline UFC 76, which takes place Sept. 22 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

As for Silva, the UFC has given no official word on his status. However, according to White’s latest comments, there’s reason to believe we’ll see Silva back in the Octagon soon.

“We’ve got nothing but mega-fight for the next three years,” White said. “We’ve got Wanderlei Silva. We’ve got (Antonio Rodrigo) Nogueira. And the list just goes on and on.“

In fact, UFCjunkie.com has heard from inside sources that Silva is still likely to make his debut at a Dec. 29 Las Vegas show — possibly against Liddell.

Silva, a Brazilian Jiu-Jistu black belt and one of PRIDE’s most successful fighters, is coming off brutal back-to-back losses to Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and Dan Henderson. Despite the losses, he remains one of the top-ranked 205-pound fighters anywhere in the world.

For the full interview with White, head over to KTVN.com.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
(waiting until I hear the name Wanderlei Silva said by Buffer)...

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It seems like they're trying to bleed Pride of their major stars.

Meanwhile, a Pride show under "UFC" management has yet to be undertaken.

It almost seems as if they're trying to bury Pride.

I'm not understanding this strategy.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
White's been quoted as saying pride would become a lower level organization (think WEC), he wants the UFC to be the "big show" which everything else feeds into. Most of pride's marketable or high level talent will end up over here. White is trying to make the UFC more of a "global" organization with shows all over the world rather than a united states centric thing.

They'll keep pride around unless it becomes unprofitable to compete with K1 heroes. The days of the supercard are over though...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
kinda curious to see who Silva is up against. I dont think Chuck will be ready then even if it is a quick fight against jardine. I could see someone mid level, I would have said Hammill had he not been fighting Bisping at 75

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Reaper,

I would say two things - We don't really know where Chuck is at right now, because he made a critical tactical error in throwing an outside body hook on Rampage, then circling into a counter head hook with a dropped left hand. IMO, we did'nt really get to see Liddell v Jackson.

And no way is Matt Hamill ready for a Wanderlei Silva, that would be an insult to match these two up.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reaper,

I would say two things - We don't really know where Chuck is at right now, because he made a critical tactical error in throwing an outside body hook on Rampage, then circling into a counter head hook with a dropped left hand. IMO, we did'nt really get to see Liddell v Jackson.

And no way is Matt Hamill ready for a Wanderlei Silva, that would be an insult to match these two up.
I dont disagree about Hamill. However, for the fans Hamill has recognition and many noob fans would think Hamill actually would win. However, most of us who have a thread of sense, know it will last all of 25 seconds. Dana is going to try and give some name recognition here, remember many did not respond when Wandy was out in the cage with Chuck the last time.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
You are right, Reap, it's a entertainment business first and foremost.

It was appalling how poor a reception Wandy got at that Liddell fight announcement, I would have thought that with the relatively easy access to Old Prides on P2P that most would know him, but no. Wandy should be well prepped for the cage with previous experience and his workouts with Couture, hopefully Shogun will be be also.

There is still a lot of good to excellent Pride fighters in apparent limbo, hope they find a fight home soon.Hopefully the UFC does a deal with HBO soon, to fully use there stable of fighters, that and expand the WEC.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are right, Reap, it's a entertainment business first and foremost.

It was appalling how poor a reception Wandy got at that Liddell fight announcement, I would have thought that with the relatively easy access to Old Prides on P2P that most would know him, but no. Wandy should be well prepped for the cage with previous experience and his workouts with Couture, hopefully Shogun will be be also.

There is still a lot of good to excellent Pride fighters in apparent limbo, hope they find a fight home soon.Hopefully the UFC does a deal with HBO soon, to fully use there stable of fighters, that and expand the WEC.

I agree, I am not a wandy fan and I think he has lost a step with age, but the UFC fans on the whole are terrible, and he is one of the greatest at 205 in history and he didnt receive that recognition. I would love to see him in there with a Machida or someone of that ilk, but I see the TUF fans getting to watch one of their favorites be "ax murdered".

I am surprised at some of the former pride stars not getting a sniff from the UFC. Look at this list

Barnett, Lil Nog, Arona, Overeem, Hunt, Aleks, Kharitonov, Gomi, Kang, (I know Filho is in the WEC, but that is a waste to me), and of course no Fedor.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Fingers crossed - The Loss of Franca and Sherk in lightweight, probably, begs the UFC to restock with Gomi, Hansen and Melendez to join Aoki.

Who else is out there? Fujita,, who else? There has been so many non regulars but great matchups in Pride, hard for me to offhand recall all the potential talent out there.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fingers crossed - The Loss of Franca and Sherk in lightweight, probably, begs the UFC to restock with Gomi, Hansen and Melendez to join Aoki.

Who else is out there? Fujita,, who else? There has been so many non regulars but great matchups in Pride, hard for me to offhand recall all the potential talent out there.
Kharitonov, Barnett, and Hunt would be awesome. Aleks will never be in the UFC because of his prison term. For the LW's, don't forget about JZ, Sakurai and Ribeiro.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
That's rodja's boy. For Rodja's sake I hope wand comes in and shakes the division up a bit.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Zuffa is going to have to have more events to keep their full stable of fighters active, more so if they bring in additional talent. I believe this will have to come from free to the fans TV contracts like Spike and HBO, because I think it will be hard to sell more than one $40 PPV per month.

Hopefully the currently lesser developmental fighters are able make a decent living wage from sponsorships, because the sums being paid directly by the UFC are marginal to get by on.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Zuffa is going to have to have more events to keep their full stable of fighters active, more so if they bring in additional talent. I believe this will have to come from free to the fans TV contracts like Spike and HBO, because I think it will be hard to sell more than one $40 PPV per month.

Hopefully the currently lesser developmental fighters are able make a decent living wage from sponsorships, because the sums being paid directly by the UFC are marginal to get by on.
This calls for free events, and maybe some cheaper events with lesser known fighters while still hyping the larger draws.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Rodja, did you put Wandy's Tat on your head?

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Just wait until after he fights a few fights in the UFC. That way if he gets fluke KO'd by a scrub you won't have to bear the symbol on your back.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just wait until after he fights a few fights in the UFC. That way if he gets fluke KO'd by a scrub you won't have to bear the symbol on your back.
I am a Wanderlei fan for life. I really could care less what others think about his career, to me, he is the epitome of a true fighter. Name another LHW that would fight (and arguably beat) Mark Hunt on 4 days notice.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I am a Wanderlei fan for life. I really could care less what others think about his career, to me, he is the epitome of a true fighter. Name another LHW that would fight (and arguably beat) Mark Hunt on 4 days notice.
Oh, I agree with you 100%. I'm just sayin'.

Anyways, with that kind of conviction, don't listen to me, lol. I didn't know you were that die-hard of a fan.

Wand is one of my favorites, but I'm on the fedor bandwagon as far as my favorite fighter goes.

Something like:

1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Rampage
4. Big Nog
5. Wand

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh, I agree with you 100%. I'm just sayin'.

Anyways, with that kind of conviction, don't listen to me, lol. I didn't know you were that die-hard of a fan.

Wand is one of my favorites, but I'm on the fedor bandwagon as far as my favorite fighter goes.

Something like:

1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Rampage
4. Big Nog
5. Wand
Let me put it this way-I have seen every Wanderlei fight several times, even the ones where he loses. I just enjoy the courage and spirit of the guy.

My list would be
1. Wand
2. CC
3. Rampage
4. Fedor
5. Aoki

I just realized that all of my favorite fighters are from PRIDE.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Let me put it this way-I have seen every Wanderlei fight several times, even the ones where he loses. I just enjoy the courage and spirit of the guy.

My list would be
1. Wand
2. CC
3. Rampage
4. Fedor
5. Aoki

I just realized that all of my favorite fighters are from PRIDE.
Nice list. Does GSP make your top 10?

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
My bad, pulling an Alexander, I confused Aoki for Aurelio.

Emo - everyone with sense is on The Fedor Bandwagon, the procession led by the Crotchal Jockey, above.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys, check the UFC website, it has the actual contract signing between Dana and Wandy kinda cool. December should be fun.

In terms of favorite fighters:
  1. Fedor
  2. BJ Penn
  3. Couture
  4. Barnett
  5. Serra- I am from Long Island
  6. CC
  7. Hendo
  8. Shogun- Besides Penn might have the most natural talent IMO
  9. Big Nog
  10. GSP

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but in the lower part. 6-10 would be-
6. BJ Penn
7. Vitor
8. GSP
9. Bas
10. Saku

Just think if BJ Penn had GSP's build... we'd all be in trouble then.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
My bad, pulling an Alexander, I confused Aoki for Aurelio.

Emo - everyone with sense is on The Fedor Bandwagon, the procession led by the Crotchal Jockey, above.
That's Alexandrovanavich, coined by Jasito.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OK, I believe it now. I saw a vid of Wand signing a contract with Dana there and a big UFC insignia of the contract.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Anyone think theres any chance of Wandy fighting Shogun eventually?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
OK, I believe it now. I saw a vid of Wand signing a contract with Dana there and a big UFC insignia of the contract.
Rodja, just remember that if you experience an erection lasting four hours or more, it is a potentially dangerous condition known as priapism, and you should seek medical attention.

:D

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja, just remember that if you experience an erection lasting four hours or more, it is a potentially dangerous condition known as priapism, and you should seek medical attention.

:D
Now you tell me, where were you 12 hours ago?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Rodja, here's a question you won't like answering. Who do you take if Wandy and Shogun fight for the title? I guess we'll have to see how Wandy looks after those two brutal knockouts to give a fair assessment.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wandy via big brother axe murderer intimidation!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja, here's a question you won't like answering. Who do you take if Wandy and Shogun fight for the title? I guess we'll have to see how Wandy looks after those two brutal knockouts to give a fair assessment.
I will also have to see how Shogun looks in a cage and with the unified rules.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Rua had 13 fights in Pride starting 10/03, and Silva had 14 during that period, with 3 of his being against HWs (Fujita/Hunt/Filipovic).

Based on that number and their ascension up the ranks in the same weight class, their contract(s) with Pride must have stipulated that they would not fight, yes?

Do y'all think they or one of them stipulated the same terms with the UFC? or not, and they will have to fight, if both are successful, or hold out in a dispute over this with the UFC?

Aleks and Fedor had the justifiable out as blood brothers, these two less so, but they appear to be as tight as any kin, I think they'll try anything possible to get out of fighting each other.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rua had 13 fights in Pride starting 10/03, and Silva had 14 during that period, with 3 of his being against HWs (Fujita/Hunt/Filipovic).

Based on that number and their ascension up the ranks in the same weight class, their contract(s) with Pride must have stipulated that they would not fight, yes?

Do y'all think they or one of them stipulated the same terms with the UFC? or not, and they will have to fight, if both are successful, or hold out in a dispute over this with the UFC?

Aleks and Fedor had the justifiable out as blood brothers, these two less so, but they appear to be as tight as any kin, I think they'll try anything possible to get out of fighting each other.
However, Shogun did not really "arrive" until after the '05 GP and Wand had hid rematch with Arona at Shockwave that year. Then Shogun dislocated his elbow the following March and did not return until after Wand entered the OWGP. The only time that would have made sense for them to fight was when Wand fought Hendo

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

I agree that they'll try anything possible to not fight each other, but I doubt Dana da Scrooge would allow them to sign on with an agreement to never fight each other.

On another note, do you think the UFC/_SAC will ever allow knees to a downed opponent? I'm sure soccer kicks/stomps will likely never be allowed again:sad:

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I too doubt that the evil Zuffa would agree to a non fight clause, but I differ to our resident expert on all things queer, the Augmesister.

what say ye, A-Wad?
YTMND - It's only gay if you make eye contact.
Blows to Come or just Cums to Blows?

Knees ever permitted to a downed opponent? No, That's a Jap thing, like Used School Girl Panties sold in Vending Machines over there.

Speaking of panties, don't get yours in a wad, Rodja, for me poking fun at your sport and idol.

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
lol^^ always loved that pic! Two of the top brazilian MMA superstars all cuttleing. :D

I did get an errection when i saw the video this AM though, so i guess im excited as well.....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That picture always makes me have a hardy gut-laugh. Especially when you consider how vicious they both are in the ring.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would love to see Rua v. Silva in December but I think if and when Liddell finishes Jardine, they might just match them up. Unless Machida dominates nakamura then it could be Silva v. machida

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would love to see Rua v. Silva in December but I think if and when Liddell finishes Jardine, they might just match them up. Unless Machida dominates nakamura then it could be Silva v. machida
Silva v Machida or Nak makes sense, but Shogun v Wand will be down the road after Hendo, Chuck, Rampage, and possibly Tito have there matches/rematches. I think that if Wand wins his first fight that he should get the next title fight since he already had history with Hendo and Rampage.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think if Machida dominates Nakamura or wins convincingly, he will be right up there with a few of the big names:

1. Hendo/Rampage winner
2. Shogun
3. Silva
4. Liddell (he will kill Jardine)
5. Machida

I could see any of these guys facing off, especially since Silva wont be fighting till december, a fight with Machida could be interesting. It will be too soon for Ortiz as he fights in October I believe. Either way 205 is a hell of a class right now. Some dream fights possible

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think if Machida dominates Nakamura or wins convincingly, he will be right up there with a few of the big names:

1. Hendo/Rampage winner
2. Shogun
3. Silva
4. Liddell (he will kill Jardine)
5. Machida

I could see any of these guys facing off, especially since Silva wont be fighting till december, a fight with Machida could be interesting. It will be too soon for Ortiz as he fights in October I believe. Either way 205 is a hell of a class right now. Some dream fights possible
What sucks for Machida is that if he dominates Naka, no UFC fans really know that it is an impressive win. He's still a no name (like Marquardt was) to a lot of the newcomers. They should give him a popular TUFer soon, Rashad, Forrest, Jardine, or gatekeeper Tito. Of course, his style isn't that electrifying...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats the problem with Machida, he does just enough to win, but is such a defensive fighter that most people find him dull