UFC 73 Stacked Post Fight Discussion (Warning: Spoilers)

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
DAMN!!!! Outstanddddiinnngggg fights!

1) Nogueira is a beast! He did take a nasty kick to the face but I give him A LOT of credit for sticking in there and pulling out the victory. Take away that kick that caught him and he looked much sharper than Herring. I have never been a fan of Herring, his takedown defense is HORRIBLE, but I feel Nogueira has a great future in the UFC.

2) There is only one way to explain Sherk in this fight: WOW!!! Sherk looked better than he ever has and I give him a ton of credit for his outstanding ground game. Franca is an outstanding ground fighter and for Sherk to do what he did was amazing. His face was literally purple and somehow he pushed through the guillatine and controlled the fight. I also couldn't believe how he took those three knees right on the button and kept fighting, I thought the fight was over for sure! Sherk will be a champion at 155 for a long time!

3) The Ortiz vs. Evans fight was much of what I expected. I was surprised to see everyone on this forum going for Rashad. I agree with Tito when he said that Rashad was getting hand fed weaker opponents. Sean Salmon was working him the whole fight until he got caught with that nasty kick. Tito may be aging but he will always be Tito and if it wasn't for that point being taken away from Tito he would have won this fight, it is a real shame he didn't. Rashad had no answer for the takedowns.

4) Anderson Silva continues to impress me. For as lanky and skinny as he is, that guy is lightning quick and extremely accurate, with more strength than most people give him credit for. I definitely saw him knocking Nate out at some point but I never expected it to be in the first round. He is a true champion and the Franklin rematch will get interesting, even though I felt Franklin didn't look that great against Okami.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It was a good night of fights.

Herrring looked better than I've seen him in a while. He had a real chance to finsh Nog if he kept up the pressure. Nog really dominated the fight besides that. His standup looked pretty solid.

Hermes was great at timing those knees and locking the guillotine. Sherk can take a shot and doesn't seem too concerned about the guillotine. His ground control is amazing. I would just like to see him finish a fight. Where were those vicious elbows he had against Radach? I guess Hermes had something to do with that, though.

Tito-Rashad.. a little dull but because it was a big fight, it still was interesting. Rashad looked real tentative. I'm glad that they enforced the cage grabbing rule, though. I guess everyone gets that one wrong in the contest.

Anderson is the man. I underestimated him or maybe overestimated Nate. For a wirey guy, he has heavy hands. He will be tough to dethrone.

Kenflo looked good against the aggressive youngster, and threw in a little jab at the the Muscle Shark. He shouldn't get another shot for a while IMO. There are too many solid contenders ahead of him, Huerta, Penn...

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Lakemount, you said "Rashad had no answers for the takedowns"? Tito didn't do anything with the few takedowns he got. That fight really was a draw IMO. I picked Tito, I thought his strength would be too much for Rashad, but they pretty much cancelled each other out.

Pretty good night overall. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the prelims. Sherk is no joke, of course, but he needs to find a way to finish, possibly risking a bit in the process. I mean even if he were to worry less about position and slam elbows with reckless abandon, what does it matter? If he loses position, so what? He can get back in dominant position on pretty much anyone(-BJ...maybe) without any trouble. I don't know, Sherk is a freak for sure, I'd like to see him go for broke a bit more. Anyways, strictly from the PPV showing I would give this event a 7, it was good, but not really "stacked" IMO.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
What's up Jas? Anderson is no joke, huh. Earlier we were talking about Marquardts size. Damn, I remember him being big, but at 6 feet he looks huge. I bet he weighs the same if not more than Rashad at fight time. Rashad should move down to 185, he looked a good 25 pounds lighter than Tito. Anyways, I just had to mention how big Nate looked since we were talking about it earlier, didn't do him a whole lot of good though.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
What's up Jas? Anderson is no joke, huh. Earlier we were talking about Marquardts size. Damn, I remember him being big, but at 6 feet he looks huge. I bet he weighs the same if not more than Rashad at fight time. Rashad should move down to 185, he looked a good 25 pounds lighter than Tito. Anyways, I just had to mention how big Nate looked since we were talking about it earlier, didn't do him a whole lot of good though.
No doubt man. Marquardt is very big. I'm a similar height and build, and I'd guess he was fighting at around 205. He seems like an anal guy so maybe he cut under to make sure he weighed in safely.

Seeing this fight and Franklin-Okami, I just don't see Rich beating Anderson. Who can beat him in the UFC?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
People are saying that Dana made Penn-Sherk official at the post-fight conference. It will supposedly be in November. Not sure why it's so far away.

Totality

Totality

Banned
Awards
I am impressed by Anderson, he striking is so far superior to anyone in the UFC. The only way he loses is if Hendo goes back down to 185. He will kill Franklin again.

Sherk is a monster at 155. If Penn comes down again, then he can beat him, other wise no one has anything more than a punchers chance.

Nog is Nog. Its either a submission win or a UD. RIght now he is the best HW in the UFC IMO.

I am very disappointed in Rashad. THe draw hurts him IMO. It showed a lot of weaknesses and it was against a declining fighter. Granted Tito is Tito, but he is declining. Just shows Rashad is no where near ready for the big time

BLACK747

BLACK747

Awards
  • Established
noone is gonna beat anderson he is that good and sherk only one word awesome.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Lakemount, you said "Rashad had no answers for the takedowns"? Tito didn't do anything with the few takedowns he got. That fight really was a draw IMO. I picked Tito, I thought his strength would be too much for Rashad, but they pretty much cancelled each other out.
I meant he had no answer for the takedown itself, unfortunately Tito couldn't finish the deal once he had him down. I think it was dumb of Tito to have him against the cage, it was actually helping him keep his back off of the ground.

I still don't think Rashad is that great of a fighter, he just isn't well rounded enough for my liking.

Totality

Totality

Banned
Awards
Rashad is not as good as I thought he was. I think the big stage got to him

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I was disappointed with Sherk. It seems as his career goes on, he is almost regressing back into a one dimensional wrestler.

Sure, it's extremely impressive to watch him control someone like it's nothing, but it's disappointing at the same time to see him pass up so many opportunities to finish a fight. There were many points where if he had unleashed a barrage of punches and/or elbows he could have done serious damage, and the cumulative effects could have cut the fight shorter.

It could be that he's so protective of the belt that he's never going to deviate from a strategy of doing just enough to keep the fight out of range for the other guy, even though he's capable of destroying him.

I don't care what anyone says- Tito's cardio sucks. He comes out like a rocket for the first minute or two and then crashes like an out of control plane. It's too bad that he was grabbing the fence and shorts so much because he had that fight. He's just got to improve his cardio.

And on the topic of fence/shorts grabbing, there needs to be much more uniform calling of it. Sherk-Florian comes to mind.

Silva was awesome as always. Guy is just an amazing fighter. Franklin has zero chance, IMO. It'll be like Liddell-Rampage.

And Nog, man, what a kick he ate from Herring, but he has a head of iron.

Great fights overall.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
And looking back, I'm not sure WTF I was thinking with some of my picks.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No doubt man. Marquardt is very big. I'm a similar height and build, and I'd guess he was fighting at around 205. He seems like an anal guy so maybe he cut under to make sure he weighed in safely.

Seeing this fight and Franklin-Okami, I just don't see Rich beating Anderson. Who can beat him in the UFC?
Yeah, I agree, Franklin can't beat Anderson. Anderson seems to really have the 'eye of the tiger', his mojo is in full swing. Anderson seems to have intelligently put on weight/strength for every one of his UFC fights. Against Leben he looked like he was maybe 190 at fight time, last night he looked to be close to 200. Nobody currently in the UFC at 185 can beat Anderson. I would really like to see Anderson fight Filho. Hopefully after Filho dominates Doerkson, Dana will bring him to the UFC for an immediate title shot. I mean why not? Although I would rather have Anderson as the champ, I would like to see him tested against the best.

When Rashad came out to 'Release Yo Delf', I thought he was gonna 'Bring the Pain', what happened? Great entrance song, lackluster performance. Time to go check out the prelims.

Totality

Totality

Banned
Awards
I was just reading that for Shogun's debut at 76 he has 2 possible opponents:
Ryoto Machida or Forrest Griffin. This comes from Dana White's mouth. I would lvoe to see him and Machida, that could be very interesting. Although, according to Dana, Forrest has requested the fight

size

Awards
  • Established
Overall, I was disappointed with this fights on this card. I thought it was going to turn into being a great night, but I was really let down.

I was extremely impressed by Sherk, and I do not see how someone is going to beat him at 155. However, it would be nice to see him finish rather than just control.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I was just reading that for Shogun's debut at 76 he has 2 possible opponents:
Ryoto Machida or Forrest Griffin. This comes from Dana White's mouth. I would lvoe to see him and Machida, that could be very interesting. Although, according to Dana, Forrest has requested the fight
I think Forrest-Shogun is a better fight to build Shogun. Not that many poeple know who Machida is yet. Honestly, I REALLY want to see Machida-Liddell, but who knows what they'll do.

Savage, I'm with you on Tito's cardio. He was sucking wind hard in the 3rd, and the Forrest fight he was gassed hard too (although, most likely injured). Personally, I view it differently on the point loss issue. If Tito doesn't grab the fence, Rashad gets a takedown in the 2nd and that round gets a lot closer. Who knows who would have won? I'm glad that they enforced the rule because takedowns are more exciting than neutralizing each other against the fence, but there needs to be more uniform enforcement.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I'm a little disappointed in Sherk as well, for the reasons that SS and Alex stated, one dimensional wrestler who's overly reliant on his superior conditioning and is having a hard time finishing.

I think I know the reason and the solution - In a sense he's outsmarting himself, he's employing a very tight very defensivesly oriented standup style, smart way to avoid a KO, but he needs to loosen up and throw with more abandon to close. It's a risk I think he can afford to take, he certainly appears to have a very hard chin, a product of that superior conditioning. The solution for him would be to bring a new kickboxing coach maybe and definetley do more sparring with good hitters. My suggestion to him would be to focus almost exclusively on his striking for a while,with his disiplined intensity and cerebral nature, his learning curve should be much faster than most. He ought to hire someone like Kaman or better yet, Ramon Dekkers.

Win or lose from here on out, Sean is great overall for the division, his conditioning methods and dietary discipline will get all the lightweights, and probably other weights, to reassess if what they do is really good enough, that dude is a buzzsaw force multiplier effect.

Since you guys expect this from me, bet he only does his wife no more than once a week, one for the monkish discipline of denial and two because because both he and she are probably scared of his intensity, he probably wears that girl out when they do it.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Have to agree with all the Sherk comments. Superb conditioning and wrestling skills but just not exciting to watch. I think there is too much emphasis placed on take down scoring in the UFC and fighters with skill sets like Sherk take advantage of it to eke out decision victories - but that's another discussion...

fatty

fatty

Awards
  • Established
Would yellow cards help with fights like Sherks? I like Sherk and his fights don't bore me, but yeah, I agree he does seem to just want to do enough to win and keep the belt.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Would yellow cards help with fights like Sherks? I like Sherk and his fights don't bore me, but yeah, I agree he does seem to just want to do enough to win and keep the belt.
Although I agree with the comments on Sherk, I must also say that Franca is an outstanding Jiu Jitsu competitor and I think Sherk was definitely playing it safe on the ground. If it were me personally I would do enough to get him to the ground to make the judges happy, do just enough to hurt him a little, and not try to hard on the ground so I wouldn't get submitted. I think that was their game plan and you have to have one, you can't just go into the fight expecting to ground and pound a good jiu jitsu guy.

AuggieC

AuggieC

Awards
Although I agree with the comments on Sherk, I must also say that Franca is an outstanding Jiu Jitsu competitor and I think Sherk was definitely playing it safe on the ground. If it were me personally I would do enough to get him to the ground to make the judges happy, do just enough to hurt him a little, and not try to hard on the ground so I wouldn't get submitted. I think that was their game plan and you have to have one, you can't just go into the fight expecting to ground and pound a good jiu jitsu guy.
and thats why ur not a fighter, fighters are performers , wehn u do **** like just enough to keep the belt is just plain faggish if u woalk in the ring knowing ur the champ like anderson silva u will stpe in the beat the **** out of him so u dont have to go 5 5min rounds just to win by decison thats why there wasnt really a hype to the fight if u watched the commercials and **** it was more focused on silva vs. marquardt and ortiz vs evans because there finishers and they dont care to PLAY IT SAFE SO I CAN KEEP MY BELT ATTITUDE THAT SUCKS

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
and thats why ur not a fighter, fighters are performers , wehn u do **** like just enough to keep the belt is just plain faggish if u woalk in the ring knowing ur the champ like anderson silva u will stpe in the beat the **** out of him so u dont have to go 5 5min rounds just to win by decison thats why there wasnt really a hype to the fight if u watched the commercials and **** it was more focused on silva vs. marquardt and ortiz vs evans because there finishers and they dont care to PLAY IT SAFE SO I CAN KEEP MY BELT ATTITUDE THAT SUCKS
Fighters are not performers. Their performance is an effecat caused by them pushing to "win". No one said it had to be pretty. Franca lost fair and square. Did it maybe suck because it wasn't as pretty as usual? Sure, that is the whole debate with Kos, he is boring. But I feel Sherk is a hell of a lot more exciting to watch than Kos. It is like the Herring vs. O'brien fight. At the end of the fight Herring was complaining that he lost and he said that fighting is standing up and fighting not getting taken to the ground. I hate to break it to you but the ground game is important to. If I had a decision to go in and WIN or go in swinging for the fences trying to make people happy and then possibly getting caught because of my aggression I am going to opt for the win.

If Franca didn't like that than he should have prepared better or done something about it. Tough $hit, he got beat fair and square. Every fighter has to go in with a game plan and try to exploit a weakness. They felt that he was a better wrestler than Franca, they were right.

I am not sure why you are being so damn aggressive towards me over a simple discussion, but your a damn idiot if you think fighters should go in to impress people. That just brings too much Tito Ortiz drama to a great sport that I hope doesn't turn into the damn WWE.

AuggieC

AuggieC

Awards
Fighters are not performers. Their performance is an effecat caused by them pushing to "win". No one said it had to be pretty. Franca lost fair and square. Did it maybe suck because it wasn't as pretty as usual? Sure, that is the whole debate with Kos, he is boring. But I feel Sherk is a hell of a lot more exciting to watch than Kos. It is like the Herring vs. O'brien fight. At the end of the fight Herring was complaining that he lost and he said that fighting is standing up and fighting not getting taken to the ground. I hate to break it to you but the ground game is important to. If I had a decision to go in and WIN or go in swinging for the fences trying to make people happy and then possibly getting caught because of my aggression I am going to opt for the win.

If Franca didn't like that than he should have prepared better or done something about it. Tough $hit, he got beat fair and square. Every fighter has to go in with a game plan and try to exploit a weakness. They felt that he was a better wrestler than Franca, they were right.

I am not sure why you are being so damn aggressive towards me over a simple discussion, but your a damn idiot if you think fighters should go in to impress people. That just brings too much Tito Ortiz drama to a great sport that I hope doesn't turn into the damn WWE.

again ur tottaly wrong!, dude i didnt say go in a swing for the fences but if ur on top of the guy for 25mins and u didnt even cut him i mean come on its guy like sherk or diego and all they do is enough to win wats the pride in that? fighters should go out to impress them self i would take a KO OR A GROUND AND POUND OR SUBMISSION than to watch a guy take another guy down for 25min and not do **** to the toher guy i mean come on if they want to do that they should stick to just wrestling this is MMA take them down finish the fight the quciker they finish the less injuries occur therefor making there next fight sooner

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
again ur tottaly wrong!, dude i didnt say go in a swing for the fences but if ur on top of the guy for 25mins and u didnt even cut him i mean come on its guy like sherk or diego and all they do is enough to win wats the pride in that? fighters should go out to impress them self i would take a KO OR A GROUND AND POUND OR SUBMISSION than to watch a guy take another guy down for 25min and not do **** to the toher guy i mean come on if they want to do that they should stick to just wrestling this is MMA take them down finish the fight the quciker they finish the less injuries occur therefor making there next fight sooner
You do realize that they get more for winning right? Sherk is not much of a finisher and yes his style is boring, but it is doubtful that anyone at 155 (sans BJ Penn) can beat him. He will ground out 5 round UD's till the cows come home, and he will get the victory bonus as well

AuggieC

AuggieC

Awards
You do realize that they get more for winning right? Sherk is not much of a finisher and yes his style is boring, but it is doubtful that anyone at 155 (sans BJ Penn) can beat him. He will ground out 5 round UD's till the cows come home, and he will get the victory bonus as well
do u realize u dont aget a bonus for winning right u do get more for winning than losing the only bonuses that the UFC gives out is for Submission of the night Knockout of the night and Fight of the night in which he would not gettin any of that thats fo sure it hink there is a bunch of guy who has a shot against sherk like Joe Lauzon , Roger Huerta , Florian Fisher, stevenson, and Din Thomas loosk great at 155

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
do u realize u dont aget a bonus for winning right u do get more for winning than losing the only bonuses that the UFC gives out is for Submission of the night Knockout of the night and Fight of the night in which he would not gettin any of that thats fo sure it hink there is a bunch of guy who has a shot against sherk like Joe Lauzon , Roger Huerta , Florian Fisher, stevenson, and Din Thomas loosk great at 155
pardon me, you get "more" for winning. the point is the same. Why risk your title and a loss when you are pretty certain you will win?

Your contenders:
J-Lau: too young yet. He is no where near ready for Sherk as he even said in an interview
Florian: already lost to Sherk
Stevenson: not strong enough, would look like the Florian fight
Fisher and Huerta: Punchers chance

Keep in mind Sherk was a legit contender at 170, and is scary at 155

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BJ is the only guy who has a significant chance of beating Sherk. Nobody else, especially the TUF guys, would be able to do it 99 times out of 100.

And if Sherk goes back to his old style of throwing bombs from mount instead of just controlling the guy, some guys are going to get seriously f*cked up.

AuggieC

AuggieC

Awards
pardon me, you get "more" for winning. the point is the same. Why risk your title and a loss when you are pretty certain you will win?

Your contenders:
J-Lau: too young yet. He is no where near ready for Sherk as he even said in an interviewdude got 9 fights left in his contract at his rate by fight 5 or 6 will be for the tittle at the rate he is going
Florian: already lost to Sherk by decision
Stevenson: not strong enough, would look like the Florian fight
Fisher and Huerta: Punchers chanceno such thing as a lucky punch

Keep in mind Sherk was a legit contender at 170, and is scary at 155

wat bout thomas???????????? and yes BJ would just mangle sherk but it looks lik ehe is not staying at 155 to bad he looked real good at 155

AuggieC

AuggieC

Awards
BJ is the only guy who has a significant chance of beating Sherk. Nobody else, especially the TUF guys, would be able to do it 99 times out of 100.

And if Sherk goes back to his old style of throwing bombs from mount instead of just controlling the guy, some guys are going to get seriously f*cked up.
he wont because he is to afraid of losing his belt

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
For the record, in pretty much all fights, you get a certain amount to fight, and it is usually doubled if you win. An up and comer will frequently get 10G to fight and 10G to win. If they get KO or sub of the night they'll get another 10G or so.

I think there may be exceptions for guys like Liddell who are already making 1/2 mill. but I'm not sure.

AuggieC

AuggieC

Awards
For the record, in pretty much all fights, you get a certain amount to fight, and it is usually doubled if you win. An up and comer will frequently get 10G to fight and 10G to win. If they get KO or sub of the night they'll get another 10G or so.

I think there may be exceptions for guys like Liddell who are already making 1/2 mill. but I'm not sure.
ya because Lauzon picked 16G for the win over melendez and another 16 for sub of the night so all he got was 32G for umm 10mins pretty good to me!hahaha i think they usally get around 5g just to fight and then doubled if they win someone posted a website up here be4 from like the liddel fight a couple of months ago he got like400 thousand and the pre fights got like 5-10g for the win and the losers got like 3500-5

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
guy like sherk or diego and all they do is enough to win wats the pride in that?
Have you seen any of Diego's fights? I don't love Diego the person, but his battles with Karo and Diaz were fight of the year candidates and his KO of Riggs was crazy. He's had one bad fight vs. Kos....

Breaker, Breaker, 1-9. Sheriff Alexander and Deputy Drone, we have a 245 in progress.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm starting to think the tie-breaker for the UFC where Franklin gets his rematch with Silva should be: Pick how many inches Franklin's nose will be wrapped around the side of his face?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Have you seen any of Diego's fights? I don't love Diego the person, but his battles with Karo and Diaz were fight of the year candidates and his KO of Riggs was crazy. He's had one bad fight vs. Kos....

Breaker, Breaker, 1-9. Sheriff Alexander and Deputy Drone, we have a 245 in progress.
Lol. 10-4. This guy is off the fvcking charts with his BS. I really wouldn't know where to begin. It's tough to argue with someone who makes zero sense. Stupid people frighten me.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm puttin in work on his "Wea did he go" thread.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm starting to think the tie-breaker for the UFC where Franklin gets his rematch with Silva should be: Pick how many inches Franklin's nose will be wrapped around the side of his face?
Lol, nice. I've had my nose broken a couple times, once nearly as bad as Franklin's. Just trying to get a rebound and some moron who was barely involved in the play decides to break me off a little Dikembe Mutombo bow to my snorter:mad: :nono:

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established

100% agreed!

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Here's what I'm thinking with Sherk and his match up with Penn.

If you look at this fight and his fight with Florian and compare them to his past fights at 170, you'll indeed notice a difference in style when on the ground in someone's guard. In the past, if he were in guard, and especially if he were in mount, he would rain down punches and elbows like crazy.

Why doesn't he do this anymore? Why is he just seemingly content to control guys now?

I think the answer is simply that he's so far beyond these guys, and he actually has something to lose now (the belt, his money, his status, etc.), that he doesn't feel like he needs to pull out all the stops. When he was fighting bigger guys like Hughes and Radach, he wasn't sure how it was going to go so he'd come at it like a madman, throwing stuff whenever possible from the top. And he had no belt so he had nothing to lose.

But now that he's fighting guys that he can easily control and especially now that he has the belt, he feels like he doesn't need to take any "uneccessary risks" that have the potential, even if it's slight, to cost him the fight.

Now that BJ is in the picture, though, maybe we'll see the old Sherk. Here's probably the only guy at 155 that has a legitimate shot of stopping the Sherk juggernaut. Hopefully, Sherk knows this and feels like he has to do everything possible, from an offensive standpoint, to beat BJ.

I really hope so, anyway. I really want to see the "old" Sherk come back. I want to see him take the risk and smash someone out again. Hopefully, BJ will bring him back.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have to day that I am very surprised that the Nog/Herring fight was not called. Nog was definitely out and I don't know WTF Herring was thinking by letting him back up.

Sherk's style is not exciting, but it is efficient and Silva will be champion for a while until they bring in Filho, Kang, of Hendo.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I have to day that I am very surprised that the Nog/Herring fight was not called. Nog was definitely out and I don't know WTF Herring was thinking by letting him back up.

Sherk's style is not exciting, but it is efficient and Silva will be champion for a while until they bring in Filho, Kang, of Hendo.
How do you guys think Kang would do against Silva? I was thinking about this today as well.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Rodja, you think Kang could beat Silva? I'm not saying he couldn't, but I would definitely take Silva in that fight. I would love to see it either way.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I gotta agree here. I was surprised that 1. Nog went out, and 2. Herring was that foolish to let him up. That would have been huge for herring

Sherk will hold that belt until BJ takes it, if they fight. No one else at LW will grab it. With regard to Silva, I think Hendo or Lindland is their only chance. Silva said he wont fight Filho as they are friends and train together. I am not totally sold on Kang

fatty

fatty

Awards
  • Established
My understanding is Penn WILL be fighting Sherk as announced by D.White at the Post Fight Press Conference.

I also read that Sherk, the UFC LW champ only made $14K to fight and received another 14K for winning against Franca. 28K is all he made. I don't know if that was his last fight on his contract, but if it was, I don't blame him for his "do enough to win" attitude. Now that he is still the champ, he can renegotiate for a MUCH better contract.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kang has solid BJJ and KO power, something that Anderson has not faced in the UFC. Kang has also been on a hell of a run and his confidence is probably at an all-time high. He beat some damn good fighters last year (Ninja, Suloev, Gono) and showed some crazy heart by fighting in the WW finals with a torn bicep.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kang has solid BJJ and KO power, something that Anderson has not faced in the UFC. Kang has also been on a hell of a run and his confidence is probably at an all-time high. He beat some damn good fighters last year (Ninja, Suloev, Gono) and showed some crazy heart by fighting in the WW finals with a torn bicep.
I dont disagree with any of that, however I dont think his chin will handle Silva. I only see Lindland (who is a nasty fight) and Hendo really being the ones to challenge

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Kang's still a question mark as far as how he'd do against the top 5. He's exciting and explosive so who knows what he'll do in the future.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I dont disagree with any of that, however I dont think his chin will handle Silva. I only see Lindland (who is a nasty fight) and Hendo really being the ones to challenge
Kang's chin is not really suspect. He has only lost one fight by TKO and none by KO. Kang also can match Anderson's speed, which has been his biggest weapon since he came to the UFC.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Female Fitness 1
jas123 MMA 47