Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
No surprises here!

From Sherdog:

Tuesday, July 03, 2007
by Josh Gross ([email protected])

Middleweight Phil Baroni (Pictures) tested positive for Boldenone and Stanozolol Metabolites, the California State Athletic Commission announced Tuesday afternoon. The 31-year-old from Long Island, New York has been fined $2,500 and suspended 365 days from the conclusion of his loss against Frank Shamrock (Pictures) on June 22 in San Jose. The final 51 days of that suspension will be fulfilled at the start of Baroni's next licensing year, should he decide to reapply.

Baroni joins Carter Williams, who was suspended six months and fined $1,000 following a positive test for cocaine, as the second fighter to test for banned substances following the Strikeforce/EliteXC co-promoted card.

All other fighters on the card have been cleared by the CSAC.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
No surprises here!

From Sherdog:

Tuesday, July 03, 2007
by Josh Gross ([email protected])

Middleweight Phil Baroni (Pictures) tested positive for Boldenone and Stanozolol Metabolites, the California State Athletic Commission announced Tuesday afternoon. The 31-year-old from Long Island, New York has been fined $2,500 and suspended 365 days from the conclusion of his loss against Frank Shamrock (Pictures) on June 22 in San Jose. The final 51 days of that suspension will be fulfilled at the start of Baroni's next licensing year, should he decide to reapply.

Baroni joins Carter Williams, who was suspended six months and fined $1,000 following a positive test for cocaine, as the second fighter to test for banned substances following the Strikeforce/EliteXC co-promoted card.

All other fighters on the card have been cleared by the CSAC.
damn, that realy sucks for baroni. He cant fight for a year he is gona be realy broke now LOL!

taking steroids does not make you explosive. thats just genetics. Plus his explosiveness isn anything that special.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Sarcasm intended, considering his performance, but steroids don't make you explosive?????? I thought developing fast-twitch fibers increased strength, and by extension, explosiveness. Why do athletes use them, then?

I'm guessing the Bold was for endurance. Isn't stanazol for cutting.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah not really a surprise. It will be interesting to see if any top 5 guys ever test positive. I guess Sylvia and Barnett may be examples of this in the respective eras.

Irish480

Awards
One year suspension is BS. BTW Baroni being an experienced bodybuilder shouldn't be dumb enough to dope positive... like wtf was he thinking any retard could cycle out on the right times an come clean

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Sarcasm intended, considering his performance, but steroids don't make you explosive?????? I thought developing fast-twitch fibers increased strength, and by extension, explosiveness. Why do athletes use them, then?

I'm guessing the Bold was for endurance. Isn't stanazol for cutting.
if what you said was true then any one who took steroids would be able to punch like Mike Tyson.

Steroids can help enhance what you already have. So if your a slow weak bastard steroids are not going to magically make you fast and explosive. Thats just not how it works.
You cant turn a long distance runner into a sprinter.. make sense???

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
One year suspension is BS. BTW Baroni being an experienced bodybuilder shouldn't be dumb enough to dope positive... like wtf was he thinking any retard could cycle out on the right times an come clean
true ..but we are talking about Baroni here!

Poor Phil is about a sharp as a bowling ball

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
if what you said was true then any one who took steroids would be able to punch like Mike Tyson.

Steroids can help enhance what you already have. So if your a slow weak bastard steroids are not going to magically make you fast and explosive. Thats just not how it works.
Yeah, but wouldn't a long distance runner who changed training styles for sprinting and enhanced it with AAS become faster and more explosive. It is absurd to propose that simply taking drugs could turn any chump into one of the hardest hitters of all time. I was expecting a result more comparable to going from hitting like Forrest Griffin to hitting like Keith Jardine.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

Whoa, you mean to tell me if I juice I won't be able to punch like Mike Tyson:think: Thanks for informing us, because I don't think Beo, or anyone else on here knew that:twisted:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wonder if there is a big difference in the NSAC and CSAC drug testing policies?? It seems like way more fighters are being caught in CA, but not in NV.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but wouldn't a long distance runner who changed training styles for sprinting and enhanced it with anabolic steroids become faster and more explosive. It is absurd to propose that simply taking drugs could turn any chump into one of the hardest hitters of all time. I was expecting a result more comparable to going from hitting like Forrest Griffin to hitting like Keith Jardine.
ya but that still wouldnt make them a good sprinter.
if you can hit hard then you can hit hard with or without steroids.
I dont think steroids realy affect pure ability. Steroids can make you heal faster, train longer, and add strength. Ability is ability and has nothing to do with steroids nor can it be influinced by it.

All the best most talented athletes of all time didnt get to be the best by taking steroids.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Whoa, you mean to tell me if I juice I won't be able to punch like Mike Tyson:think: Thanks for informing us, because I don't think Beo, or anyone else on here knew that:twisted:
i bet you feel proud of yourself

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
You often hear people suggest that KO power is something you have or you don't have. I don't think that is true. I agree that strength is not as essential to KOs as some might suggest. It is more about technique, which is why Liddell KO's people, while Karo Parisyan throws "bombs" that don't seem to do much. Karo's punching technique sucks, but if he spent some time focusing on punching through his legs, hips and torso, instead of just his arms, he'd do a lot more damage.

KO power also comes from the willingness to let it go. GSP has never KO'd someone with a punch, but I think that is simply b/c he is too conservative. He doesn't lack strength or technique, only the willingness to go for the KO. Note: he can win other ways, so maybe he is wise to not take the chance.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bottom line is: Some are natural, genetics. steroids will give them the potential to get stronger but not faster imo. Its all how you train and diet.

So a slow guy can get faster with proper training. A slow guy on steroids and a crappy training plan will most likely stay slow. But the genetically fast guy will be fast regardless. Everyone agree?

for the record, duh! everyone knew this about Baroni.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Bottom line is: Some are natural, genetics. steroids will give them the potential to get stronger but not faster imo. Its all how you train and diet.

So a slow guy can get faster with proper training. A slow guy on steroids and a crappy training plan will most likely stay slow. But the genetically fast guy will be fast regardless. Everyone agree?

for the record, duh! everyone knew this about Baroni.
agreed

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Stanozolol (and other compounds) use was/is rampant in Track. Gear does make you faster/more explosive.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Stanozolol (and other compounds) use was/is rampant in Track. Gear does make you faster/more explosive.
if you are already fast and explosive.. it just adds a little extra edge.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I'll take that edge, be it little or a lot. The point is that it does help.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I wonder if there is a big difference in the NSAC and CSAC drug testing policies?? It seems like way more fighters are being caught in CA, but not in NV.
i think there is... i think they are more anal.

I dont know about Nevada but cali makes you get a CATscan AND an MRI... i havent seen that in other states.

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
lol Damn that was a long time ago, i remember those days
sh1t yeah..everybody bleached their own jeans,ripped holes all over them,carried beat boxes on their shoulders and parachute pants were actually cool...I was barely old enough to catch the end of the 80's,but that sh1t was funny as hell...

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
sh1t yeah..everybody bleached their own jeans,ripped holes all over them,carried beat boxes on their shoulders and parachute pants were actually cool...I was barely old enough to catch the end of the 80's,but that sh1t was funny as hell...
i loved the 80's

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
since we somehow got to the awesome 80's and there is a big thing about steroids making people crazy... i thought this would fit right in!

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THIS GUY??????
the Warrior is BATSH1T LOCO!!!!!

[nomedia="http://youtube.com/watch?v=P39b7v1wzfg"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Baroni got his sentence reduced which seems weird considering the hard stance the CSAC has been taking.

This popped up today too from Baroni's agent Ken Pavia (posted on the UG regarding his hearing). It's biased of course.....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Phil took 67 supplements and I MADE him take a pre fight test to make sure he didn't have a false positive. He passed for everything.

Phil took a post fight test after his CSAC positive. He passed for everything.

Phil took another post fight test in front of Sherdog editor and cameras at a doctors office. He passed for everything.

We had the CSAC samples RETESTED at a third party accredited lab. These were the same samples that came back positive. THEY CAME BACK NEGATIVE FOR EVERYTHING.

The CSAC expert said there is no such thing as a false positive, but the CSAC web site sites an Olympic committee study that says 15% of all over the counters cause false positives. His credibility should have been shot.

Two of the six Commissioners voted to throw it out completely with one abstaining.

Every objection that was made the entire time was ruled in favor of the Commission including one where by the Commission attorney was allowed to ask about aspects of our case on cross examination that we hadn't even introduced. She got the info out of our exhibit packet and basically introduce all of our evidence before for us.

The Commission was forced to listen to over 2 hours of steroid propaganda prior to the hearing that just by coincidence was scheduled for the same day. They actually brought in a chiropractor from New Jersey who took 45 minutes saying... steroids are bad for kids... steroids are for cheaters.

They had one test that said he did steroids. We had four tests including their test that said he didn't do steroids.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Here's an MMA weekly article. I'm not saying Baroni's never taken anything, I mean come on, but it seems like the CSAC needs to get their **** together.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
LOS ANGELES – Phil Baroni looked morose as he exited his hearing with the California State Athletic Commission on Wednesday. His suspension of one year had been reduced to six months, but his name was not cleared.

“It feels like a loss to me,” Baroni told reporters. “I’m convicted of using steroids. I didn’t use steroids. I thought I took enough tests to prove I didn’t. I wanted more than anything to prove I didn’t do it. To be cleared of it. And I’m not. I’m labeled guilty.

“I’ll be able to fight soon, but I still didn’t get what I wanted.”

Baroni testified in front of the CSAC board for nearly a half-hour, flatly denying any steroid use and speaking at length about his career and training methods.

The centerpiece of his defense was four separate steroid tests he took around the time of his fight. The first was taken at the behest of manager Ken Pavia, who claimed he ordered it prior to the fight after discovering one of the 67 supplements Baroni was taking carried a warning for causing false positives. Baroni said he didn’t want the test floating around for possible detection by the media, so he had his fiancé’s name used in the results.

Only hours earlier, Barry Sample, Chief Scientist of Quest Diagnostics, Inc., the testing firm for the CSAC, had given a presentation where he stated that a lab couldn’t get a false positive for an over-the-counter supplement because supplements which carried steroid precursors had been taken off the market.

Yet when pressed to explain the warning on Baroni’s supplement, or entertain the possibility of tainted supplements on the market, he was hesitant to give a definitive answer.

“It’s possible that the warning is related to a lower threshold level, but even then one would not expect products that are legally available … to cause such an elevation in the T/E ratio,” Dr. Sample told a committee member.

“So when you say one would not expect, it could happen?” the committee member responded.

After a labored pause, the doctor spoke up. “It is difficult for me to say what manufacturers may do.”

The “chain of custody” issue that played a part in Ultimate Fighting Championship lightweight champion Sean Sherk’s hearing also had an impact on Baroni’s case.

Baroni’s fourth and final test was done at an independent laboratory using the remainder of the urine sample obtained by the CSAC. Deputy Attorney General Karen Chappelle immediately attacked the credibility of the lab, saying the sample’s chain of custody couldn’t be verified. The laboratory was not on a list that the CSAC had provided to Pavia, however, he had documented that he had met the commission’s requests to verify the lab as an accredited facility.

Ultimately, the CSAC had signed off on the transfer of the sample from Quest Laboratories to the new lab, making them part of the chain of custody.

Pavia’s admission of Baroni’s false-named steroid test didn’t win any honesty points with the commission, but the government’s discrepancies in judging the validity of the third-party test raised sufficient doubt to prevent an unchanged ruling.

When the committee came to a vote, two commission members moved to strike all charges against the fighter. That motion was denied, but an amended motion to reduce his sentence passed easily.

Baroni’s first plan was to get back into the gym and get on with his life.

“I want to start training and getting back in shape,” he said.

“I’ve been depressed with all this. It’s hurt my relationships with family, with friends, my fiancé. It’s the first thing I think about in the morning and it’s the last thing I think about when I go to bed. People are going to believe what was put out there originally. It’s not like I got let off where I can say ‘see, I didn’t do it.’ I’m glad I didn’t get a year, but what can I say. I’m just upset that it happened.”

Like Sherk, Baroni claimed he spent at least $20,000 on his defense, not including missed fight paydays. As for a return to the ring, Pavia hoped that Baroni would be put on Strikeforce’s January card.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Bold aka EQ would serve two purposes. One is to raise RBC count hence increasing endurance, and it will keep the tendon's and ligaments healed and/or heal and injuries many times faster. I guess Winny was for cutting...?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bold aka EQ would serve two purposes. One is to raise RBC count hence increasing endurance, and it will keep the tendon's and ligaments healed and/or heal and injuries many times faster. I guess Winny was for cutting...?
winny is also known and used as an endurance steroid.