Hmmmm, I wonder if I can??

  1. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Hmmmm, I wonder if I can??


    I have toyed with the idea of dropping to 155, even before my first fight. I figured that I could drop to 165 and then lose the last 10 during the usual weight cutting time. As of right now, I am in the low 170's and I am feeling very strong. I have always been one of the stronger guys in my current weight class, so I would think that it would amplify. I think I am agile and quick enough to keep up with the speed of most LW's. My main problem is actually aesthetic, I don't want to be that small in day-to-day life, but I know that for my MMA game that it would be great.

    The main two areas I would have to attack to drop the rest of the weight is my BF%, obviously, and my legs. I have been dropping fat like crazy since I started the JW/PA stack and I just have to keep up the cardio and watch my diet, but the legs will be a little trickier.
    Last edited by Rodja; 06-20-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist


  2. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2162
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    You could probably stay at the weight your at and lose about 5-7 more pounds in the last 2-3 weeks before the fight. Then do your 10 lb weight cut, right? From your posts it sounds like you're really into it so maybe you should go for 155 if that's beneficial.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    You could probably stay at the weight your at and lose about 5-7 more pounds in the last 2-3 weeks before the fight. Then do your 10 lb weight cut, right? From your posts it sounds like you're really into it so maybe you should go for 155 if that's beneficial.
    It is definitely on my mind right now. Like I said, I would shoot for 165 and then cut the rest overnight. I guess I will see how easily I can make it to 165 in the next month or so. I know one thing, I would be a huge LW.
    :bb2:
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Well, I have decided that it would be in my best interest to drop to 155. I have noticed that the LW's that I train with cannot sweep or counter me once I get top-position and I can often get out of bad situations when they are in a dominant position by just pure strength. I figure my height (5'10"), reach (74"), and strength will give me a huge advantage in the LW class. However, I will still fight at 170 when I get my rematch against my first opponent or if the opportunity presents itself.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  5. Registered User
    Beowulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,430
    Rep Power
    2153
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    64.28%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    It is definitely worth trying, as the trend in MMA is to fight as light as physically possible. Just get ready for some Gabesque crying and hallucinations...
  6. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    It is definitely worth trying, as the trend in MMA is to fight as light as physically possible. Just get ready for some Gabesque crying and hallucinations...
    I figure that I wont let myself get 20+ lbs over-weight and I will hover in the 165-170 area between fights.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  7. New Member
    BillFinkbiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    303
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    49.72%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I figure that I wont let myself get 20+ lbs over-weight and I will hover in the 165-170 area between fights.
    I don't know you too well, but in your avi you have a look in your eyes that Gabe Rudiger can only dream of having.

    Fro me dropping about 20 pounds in 16 weeks for my bodybuilding comp was kind of extreme. You guy's dropping 10 pounds over night is downright insane, but in a good way. If it's what you want to do you could drop the weight and be up to about 170 by fight time.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BillFinkbiner View Post
    I don't know you too well, but in your avi you have a look in your eyes that Gabe Rudiger can only dream of having.

    Fro me dropping about 20 pounds in 16 weeks for my bodybuilding comp was kind of extreme. You guy's dropping 10 pounds over night is downright insane, but in a good way. If it's what you want to do you could drop the weight and be up to about 170 by fight time.
    I guess I need to add something in my signature that says my avatar is not me, it Wanderlei Silva.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  9. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    you always get that man. Seriously.

    Btw. you say on top position you cant be sweeped by LW but you are heavier at the moment. DOnt think that dropping 15lbs is not going to harm your strength. Whenever you drop weight below your natural weight you are going to lose strength even if all you drop is fat. i dont think you can stay as strong if you drop that much weight jmpo.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    you always get that man. Seriously.

    Btw. you say on top position you cant be sweeped by LW but you are heavier at the moment. DOnt think that dropping 15lbs is not going to harm your strength. Whenever you drop weight below your natural weight you are going to lose strength even if all you drop is fat. i dont think you can stay as strong if you drop that much weight jmpo.
    Most of the guys in my gym have trouble sweeping me once i have top position, not just the LWs. I have noticed that only the higher belts and 200+ lb guys can sweep me. Also, a lot of the weight I am going to lose is from my thighs. I have a very bottom heavy physique and I am going to change my leg training to only BW and focus mainly hip and glute power.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  11. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    i see. i have the same build. im 210 right now if i dropped to 180 id kill guys. I notice when people cut weight they usually have really skinny legs.
  12. New Member
    BillFinkbiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    303
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    49.72%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I guess I need to add something in my signature that says my avatar is not me, it Wanderlei Silva.
    I guess I should pay more attention, I just watched Silva vs. Crocop on Sunday night.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by BillFinkbiner View Post
    I guess I should pay more attention, I just watched Silva vs. Crocop on Sunday night.
    Lets not talk about that fight...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  14. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2162
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Haha, I guess there are worse people to be mistaken for huh, Rodja. I'm really slamming that guy in my av, .
  15. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    Haha, I guess there are worse people to be mistaken for huh, Rodja. I'm really slamming that guy in my av, .
    Doing your best Karelin impression?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  16. New Member
    Brother's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    201
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    14.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Lets not talk about that fight...
    Oh you mena the one that looks similar to the Gonzaga Vs. Crocop fight?
  17. New Member
    Brother's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    201
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    14.7%

    Oh yea ..... drop wieght for sure. Same power if not more. if you lose any it wont be significant and you will gain speed.... Speed=Power in my opinion. I was 250 at one point and when I droped down to my current 220's I noticed it was much easier to move my weight around which transitions into easier to move my opponents around. I think more MMA fighters should use the rubber guard too. its a great submission/sweep/defense tool that is under used...... unless you smoke weed and roll with Bravo
  18. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11893
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.19%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    You sound like you're a similar size as myself (I'm currently 5'8" @ a BF% in the low teens/upper single-digits). Earlier this month, I was cut down to 167lbs for a BB show and it gets kinda rough when you get that low. Strength and endurance were way down.

    So when planning to hit a brand new low weight, remember that you're not going to be able to function as well as if you're weight were a little higher.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  19. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post

    So when planning to hit a brand new low weight, remember that you're not going to be able to function as well as if you're weight were a little higher.
    i dont know about that. Sometimes big guys drop weight and move alot better. Sometimes the body is actually more effiecient not stressing the extra lbs. IMO, of course.
  20. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    You sound like you're a similar size as myself (I'm currently 5'8" @ a BF% in the low teens/upper single-digits). Earlier this month, I was cut down to 167lbs for a BB show and it gets kinda rough when you get that low. Strength and endurance were way down.

    So when planning to hit a brand new low weight, remember that you're not going to be able to function as well as if you're weight were a little higher.
    I have to disagree here because when I started my training, I was at ~195-200 and I have been doing much better since I dropped to the 170-175 range. One thing that has made a huge difference, and does not get a lot of attention, is that I have made core strength a major emphasis in my training.

    I did not do any direct core training for a couple of years because I figured heavy squats, deads, cleans, etc would keep my core strong enough. Now I always make sure to train my core 2-3x/wk and Thai boxing has also made a huge difference.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  21. Recovering AXoholic
    thesinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    10,063
    Rep Power
    11893
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    27.19%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump View Post
    i dont know about that. Sometimes big guys drop weight and move alot better. Sometimes the body is actually more effiecient not stressing the extra lbs. IMO, of course.
    I'm talking about going from being lean, to being grossly lean and water/electrolyte deprived. From the impression I was under, it sounds like getting down to this weight was gonna be a stretch, needing to take these sorts of measures.

    If you're downing a few lbs of extra bodyfat, or even some musclemass, it can improve your agility without a doubt. I'll agree with you on that.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  22. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    I'm talking about going from being lean, to being grossly lean and water/electrolyte deprived. From the impression I was under, it sounds like getting down to this weight was gonna be a stretch, needing to take these sorts of measures.

    If you're downing a few lbs of extra bodyfat, or even some musclemass, it can improve your agility without a doubt. I'll agree with you on that.
    You have ~30 hrs between weigh-ins and fight time, so I would be in the 170 range once I actually step in the cage. I have about 10 weeks to get into my weight range, which is plenty of time. Let the training trim me up for the next 4 weeks, then start the actual cutting.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  23. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2162
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    If you're an animal at 155, you'd probably be a complete beast at 145.....
  24. Elite Member
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,066
    Rep Power
    2651
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    81.33%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    If you're an animal at 155, you'd probably be a complete beast at 145.....
    Or Luttered out!
  25. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    If you're an animal at 155, you'd probably be a complete beast at 145.....
    10 more lbs would be way top much too ask. 5'10" and fighting in 145 is not possible unless I want to lose all of my muscle.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  26. Professional Member
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,065
    Rep Power
    2162
    Level
    44
    Lv. Percent
    27.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Luttered out, huh. Is this what you mean?





    I was just teasing Rodja. I'll stop my rampant OTing in your thread now.
  27. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post


    Ewwwwww (Rodja shutters in disgust).

    I love Sin City, though.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  28. Board Sponsor
    crader's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    7,242
    Rep Power
    51548
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    95.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    You mean thats not you??? When I thibk of you thats who I see. Hmm No pics of you?
  29. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    You mean thats not you??? When I thibk of you thats who I see. Hmm No pics of you?
    I am not a big picture taker. Actually, one thing that I really hate is taking pictures.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  30. Board Sponsor
    crader's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    7,242
    Rep Power
    51548
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    95.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Awww come on just one?
  31. Board Sponsor
    crader's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    7,242
    Rep Power
    51548
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    95.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    How will I know who to watch for in the fights on tv?
  32. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    Awww come on just one?
    I don't know...what is in it for me???
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  33. Board Sponsor
    crader's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    7,242
    Rep Power
    51548
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    95.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I could be your #1 fan
  34. Banned
    pistonpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,105
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    66
    Lv. Percent
    87.47%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I am not a big picture taker. Actually, one thing that I really hate is taking pictures.
    im exactly the same. Its pretty extreme, you would be on a treasure hunt to find pics of me.

    Crader are you a woman?


    and Jas, nice comparison there. I think you hit it square on the chin, a la Rampage. haha.
  35. Board Sponsor
    crader's Avatar
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    41
    Posts
    7,242
    Rep Power
    51548
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    95.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Yes thats me in my avatar
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. wondering if i can take halotest while on pct
    By joed5566 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-20-2010, 08:45 AM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-25-2006, 04:18 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2006, 02:45 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 06:30 PM
  5. Looking for boards to sponsor...help if you can
    By Chemo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 01:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in