UFC 72 discussion (tumbleweed rolls by)

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Spoilers

%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Reading the play-by-play it sounds like Guida-Griffin was quite a match with Griffin winning a pretty questionable decision. If anyone has seen it, let us know your thoughts.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
anything on Ramirez v. Griffin?

It's going right now. Griffin is dominating so far from the p-by-p.

Edit: Forrest dominated and won a decision 30-27.

I also heard that Marcus Davis was not allowed to be called by his nickname "the Irish Handgrenade" in front of the Irish crowd.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Okami just mounted Franklin in the 3rd!!!

Edit: Franklin won the decision, but it sounds like Okami had him in a lot of trouble for the majority of the third round.

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
from what I read, Okami had a nasty Kimura but Ace didnt tap and rolled out of it

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am psyched for UFC 73, that is a hell of a card.

The website is up and running now, looking forward to seeing Big Nog

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What??

I thought it was tonight at regular time??

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
What the f*ck?

So are they going to show it again tonight at the usual time?

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
72 was better than I thought, however the TUF 5 finale will be better. Penn dominating Pulver and its free, that makes it better IMO.

I was really hoping Okami would win, and he could have finished it in the 3rd. I dont think Franklin is getting that belt back anytime soon.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I didn't see any of this event yet, but the undercard sounded pretty good, and the Griffin/Guida fight seems like it was great. From the PBP, it sounded like Forrest's fight was good, but I guess it wasn't. I want to see Marcus Davis' fight, too.

While I think Davis has a great nickname, there is still a lot of lingering ill will in the North, so it was probably wise to change the name for that fight.

I can't wait for the TUF Finale!!!!! I hope Lauzon is shown on the broadcast. I think he'll handle Mr. Superman Punch Melendez.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Davis' fight wasn't as good as I thought it would be. He lands a nice right hook, though, to put Tan out. Tan landed a lot of solid leg kicks that could have changed the fight if it were longer.

Franklin-Okami wasn't as bad as some were saying. The first two rounds were slow, but better than Kos-Diego or Sylvia-AA III (Rich would commmit more but Okami had good D and landed a few counters) and the 3rd round was really intense. I wish Okami would have turned it up much earlier to see what he could do. That Kimura was in deep and Rich was in it for a while. Nice D by Franklin. From his post-fight comments, it just re-enforces how smart Rich is. He knew he made a mistake with allowing Okami to get the trip takedown and was angry about it.

That's all I've watched so far.

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think the TUF finale will be good, god I hope nate loses

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think the TUF finale will be good, god I hope nate loses
I don't like Nate, the person, that much, but at least he's exciting. I keep hoping Manny will step up with some Karo-like action, but it hasn't happened yet.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
You're recockulus, jas. Putting up a discussion thread before you've even seen the event.

On paper 72 looked boring and not worth spending money on, but it was excellent, IMO, a card of very well matched contests, one that should appeal to serious fans who want to study tactics.

The fight of the night was Tyson Griffin_ Clay Guida, a start to finish high intensity clinic of techniques, very cool.

I think I know now how Franklin will fight and can beat Silva, assuming Anderson gets past Marquadt, no easy feat.

That's all I'm going to say , for now, till y'all see it in full.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You're recockulus, jas. Putting up a discussion thread before you've even seen the event.

On paper 72 looked boring and not worth spending money on, but it was excellent, IMO, a card of very well matched contests, one that should appeal to serious fans who want to study tactics.

The fight of the night was Tyson Griffin_ Clay Guida, a start to finish high intensity clinic of techniques, very cool.

I think I know now how Franklin will fight and can beat Silva, assuming Anderson gets past Marquadt, no easy feat.

That's all I'm going to say , for now, till y'all see it in full.
Hey, I get excited for these things, especially when the UFC is in a country of true warriors.

Griffin-Guida was awesome. I may actually like the wars on the ground better than the wars on the feet and this was up there. I'm curious which of the last two rounds the 2 judges gave to Griffin. Both were close, but I thought Guida took them. Judge for yourself.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm still highly pissed that they showed it at 3 in the damn afternoon.

All I've seen so far is Griffin-Guida and that was a bullsh*t decision. Guida clearly controlled most of that fight.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
I don't like Nate, the person, that much, but at least he's exciting. I keep hoping Manny will step up with some Karo-like action, but it hasn't happened yet.
Man, I love those Diaz Boys...I hope Nate wins...I don't like Manny (for some reason)

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have that issue with the Diaz boys. The act like they might be mildly retarded. I give them credit they are solid on the ground but that is it

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I thought this was a great card, alot of surprises and decent main fight. Franklin won bc he took the fight to Okami but okami controlled rich nicely on the ground. Got him down easily mounted and had the kimura deep. missed some of the under card due to the messed hours tho, grrr.

smc252

Awards
  • Established
I give them credit they are solid on the ground but that is it
Although Nick Diaz handed Lawler his ass and all they did was box!??? He has decent handwork, footwork needs some tuning... I'd say he's a pretty decent fighter overall though.

As for Nate, I'd whoop his ass no problem. I'm way out of shape and a fat 160lbs, my MMA is rusty as hell too. :)

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Although Nick Diaz handed Lawler his ass and all they did was box!??? He has decent handwork, footwork needs some tuning... I'd say he's a pretty decent fighter overall though.

As for Nate, I'd whoop his ass no problem. I'm way out of shape and a fat 160lbs, my MMA is rusty as hell too. :)
Nick is very solid, but Nate is very one dimensional

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just watched 72...been putting it off b/c I kept hearing how borring it was. After seeing it I would say it was pretty damn good.

Guida should have won, Forrest may have unwittingly found a style that better suits himself, and Okami really dissappointed me.

EDIT: Oh yeah...and Rory surprised me until he gassed. I never liked him, but he showed some potential against The Athlete.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Rory is definitely better than he is given credit for. He is not quite a B level fighter, but definitely one of the top guys from Season 3.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bighulksmash MMA 51
bighulksmash MMA 12
jas123 MMA 32
Rodja MMA 17
Alexander MMA 3