Steroids in Mixed Martial Arts - AnabolicMinds.com

Steroids in Mixed Martial Arts

1. Elite Member

Post Steroids in Mixed Martial Arts

By Holli Hearne (March 29, 2007) Doghouse Boxing

Arguably the bout having the most impact to UFC popularity was the one fought between Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar on April 9, 2005 at the Cox Pavilion in Las Vegas, NV. This fight was to determine who would win a six-figure UFC contract and earn the title of The Ultimate Fighter. This fight raged for three full rounds with Griffin named the winner and Bonnar also given a contract because the fight was just that close and just that exciting.

The two would meet again on August 26, 2006 at UFC 62. It wasnít the headliner but it was the most anticipated
    rematch to date. The fans were not disappointed. Both fighters were aggressive but the win would again go to Griffin. Following the event, four of the 17 total fighters that night were picked for post-fight drug testing: Bonnar, Griffin, Chuck Liddell, and Renato Sobral. Of the four, only Bonnar failed when he tested positive for Boldenone, an anabolic steroid used for treating injured horses. The steroid is so potent, the FDA issued a warning that it should not be used on horses intended for human consumption. The Nevada State Athletic Commission, the same commission that sanctions the Ultimate Fighting Championship organization, suspended Bonnar for nine months.

Unfortunately, Bonnar isnít alone. In 2002, Josh Barnett also tested positive for the same anabolic steroid as Bonnar. For Barnett, it cost him the title he had just won from hall of fame legend Randy Couture.

In July 2006, Kimo Leopoldo was pulled from a WFA event after failing a pre-fight drug test. He tested positive for Stanozolol, another form of anabolic steroid. This, however, was not Kimoís first time at the rodeo with regard to steroids. He was suspended and fined by the NSAC after failing a post-fight drug test following a loss to the legendary Ken Shamrock, another UFC hall of fame alumnus.

October 26, 2006 saw the return of the now drug free Josh Barnett when he was cleared by the NSAC to fight Pawel Nastula on the Pride: Raw Deal card in Las Vegas. Barnett took the win over Nastula who tested positive for Nandrolone in a post-fight drug screen. Fighting in that same event was Vitor Belfort, who tested positive for Hydroxytestosterone the same time as Nastula. Both fighters still await a decision from NSAC as to what disciplinary action will be taken.

Contracts are on the line with big name fight leagues such as UFC and Pride each time a fighter loses. For some, this makes the chance of being selected for random drug testing worth the risk. Ironically, of the four fighters who tested positive for banned substances in 2006, one tested positive pre-fight causing him to forfeit his opportunity and the other three lost the fights they were later busted on. Despite the hype about steroids potentially offering an unfair advantage, it would seem they arenít necessarily effective in mixed martial arts, where skill is often more determining than muscle size.

2. Registered User

I think that inaccurately describes the potency of Boldenone. I'm sure they say it is not fit for human consumption after b/c of the long half-life. It isn't that it would be super-detrimental; just that the consumer would unknowingly ingest AAS.

Anyone know how often boxers get caught, compare to MMAists?
  3. Elite Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I think that inaccurately describes the potency of Boldenone. I'm sure they say it is not fit for human consumption after b/c of the long half-life. It isn't that it would be super-detrimental; just that the consumer would unknowingly ingest anabolic steroids.

Anyone know how often boxers get caught, compare to MMAists?

Of course they were hysterical about boldenone. They make it sound like it's radioactive.
    •   

4. Senior Member

Eh. Steroids might let you train more and harder but there's no reason to actually be juiced at the time of the event. Not too bright.
  5. Advanced Member

Boldenone allows your blood to be more oxygenated allowing longer performance before lactic acid is stored. This would be very helpful in a 3 round war. I'm also curious what the numbers are in boxing.
  6. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by brass monkey View Post
    Boldenone allows your blood to be more oxygenated allowing longer performance before lactic acid is stored. This would be very helpful in a 3 round war. I'm also curious what the numbers are in boxing.
    EPO does this better and is hard to test for.
  7. Senior Member

Or you can have your penis and testicles cut off, which allows for that bloodflow to remain topside. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the greater glory.

There's also the possibilities of training at altitude, or the use of a hypoxic chamber and/or blood doping, the infusion of extra RBC.

None of this really necessary, good old fashioned cardio till you puke build hearts and guts.
  8. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone View Post
    Or you can have your penis and testicles cut off, which allows for that bloodflow to remain topside. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the greater glory.

There's also the possibilities of training at altitude, or the use of a hypoxic chamber and/or blood doping, the infusion of extra RBC.

None of this really necessary, good old fashioned cardio till you puke build hearts and guts.
    Or you can do the cardio till you puke, then use EPO (get your hematocrit to like .5 maybe ~5 days before the contest, you piss clean and your levels fall to just below the legal limit for blood tests) and you can be a heavyweight and dance like a lightweight for 3 rounds.
  9. Senior Member

Point taken.

My point was that chemicals are a poor substitute for honest strain and pain. It's been my experience that a lot of "tough" guys with the iron are pussies when it comes to high intensity cardio.

Given a choice, I would prefer to lop off jas' genitals, and have him dancing around like a flyweight. The shrill voice of a little girlie ,check, there already.

So much for civility.
  10. Professional Member

Just about all AAS increase RBC to a degree.
    I think the benefit from using AAS compounds for MMA guys is recovery time. Professionals are training hours each day taking a beating on their bodies. I think fighters conisder two choices, dull the pain with drugs(think Kerr) or use AAS to help aid in recovery. Of course, some probably also use to increase strength but I believe the most likely reason for the usage is recovery. Obviously though, many of these guys do not understand drug selection.
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone View Post
    Given a choice, I would prefer to lop off jas' genitals, and have him dancing around like a flyweight. The shrill voice of a little girlie ,check, there already.
    At least jas' genitals are still producing something, Old Drone. Enjoy the hormone replacement therapy if you want to have any chance of keeping up with me. :bruce3:

Is IGF and/or GH better/even/worse/different for recovery than most steroids? Can you test for IGF? I haven't kept up with this stuff.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by yeahright View Post
    Of course they were hysterical about boldenone. They make it sound like it's radioactive.
    And what makes you think it isn't? I could've sworn it was the radioactivity of EQ that caused Bruce Banner to turn into Lou Ferrigno.
  13. Senior Member

GH works ok. IGF1 works better for muscle growth, not too much difference for general recovery.

There is a (poor) test for GH, no test for IGF1 that I am aware of.
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

They also help you maintain lbm and strength levels while cutting to make weight. Hence why you see athletes getting popped for certain steroids like winny and not d-bol.
  15. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

This is slightly off the topic, but apparantly Bas tested positive for a few things in the WFA.

-July 22, 2006: World Fighting Alliance; Bas Rutten tested positive for Hydrocodone (prescription painkiller), Morphine (prescription painkiller), and Diphenhydramine (antihistamine with common brand name Benadryl); suspended for 6 months

Morphine's no pansy drug. Hope there was a good medical reason for his use of it.
  16. Elite Member

You would think Bas would be the last guy to get caught up in the painkiller game, being so close with Kerr and everything. Bottom line, most fighters, especially as they get older are in a lot of pain.
  17. Advanced Member

Sounds like ELGuapo is in some pain. Did he not have a script, For the pain killers . Or are they just not allowed in your system at all.
  18. Registered User

Bas actually said in his post fight interview that he was given some pain meds b/c of a rib injury. That being said, that was quite the cocktail he was on. I doubt a Dr. prescribed all that. Come to think of it, he was drinking a Heini in that interview. Did somebody say "liver shot".
  19. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Yeah, it's not clear whether or not he had a scrip. I think you have to get meds cleared by in this case CSAC. Wandy was taking meds in his last match and had to get them cleared by NSAC. Somehow I doubt they'd allow a fighter on morphine to compete.
  20. Professional Member

Bas also had a knee injury prior to the fight.

I was shocked to see how many fighters were testing positive for marijuana. Most surprising was that Ricco Rodriguez tested positive for cocaine.
  21. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    You would think Bas would be the last guy to get caught up in the painkiller game, being so close with Kerr and everything. Bottom line, most fighters, especially as they get older are in a lot of pain.
    He was probably either nursing an injury and/or looking to not feel any pain during the fight. Opiate do that bigtime. I just hope is wasnt purely rec.
    My The 1 LOG: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/steroids/254164-my-one-log.html
  22. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'11"  190 lbs.

A little bit off topic, but not really...I'm surprised that more guys don't use Halo...I know it is pretty intense and that would discourage most, but the aggression and intensity if gives a user is suppositely unparalleled...

Just ask my boy Iron Mike.
  23. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo View Post
    Or you can do the cardio till you puke, then use EPO (get your hematocrit to like .5 maybe ~5 days before the contest, you piss clean and your levels fall to just below the legal limit for blood tests) and you can be a heavyweight and dance like a lightweight for 3 rounds.
    ya EPO will work if: you can find it.. if you dont need to cut more than 10lbs in water unless you want to have a stroke .. and if you dont get cut in the fight and bleed to death!!!!

EPO+MMA = bad idea
  24. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by PumpingIron View Post
    A little bit off topic, but not really...I'm surprised that more guys don't use Halo...I know it is pretty intense and that would discourage most, but the aggression and intensity if gives a user is suppositely unparalleled...

Just ask my boy Iron Mike.

i wondered the same... i think powerlifters use it.. and they only need it for a short time unlike 15 min of fighting. From what i hear it makes you feel sick cuz its soooo hepatoxic. Plus most of the time its not a good idea to go apesh1t in the begining of a fight unless its your style and you know what your doing!
    Last edited by PHWSSJ; 04-05-2007 at 04:04 AM.
  25. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by yeahright View Post
    By Holli Hearne (March 29, 2007) Doghouse Boxing

Arguably the bout having the most impact to UFC popularity was the one fought between Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar on April 9, 2005 at the Cox Pavilion in Las Vegas, NV. This fight was to determine who would win a six-figure UFC contract and earn the title of The Ultimate Fighter. This fight raged for three full rounds with Griffin named the winner and Bonnar also given a contract because the fight was just that close and just that exciting.

The two would meet again on August 26, 2006 at UFC 62. It wasnít the headliner but it was the most anticipated
    rematch to date. The fans were not disappointed. Both fighters were aggressive but the win would again go to Griffin. Following the event, four of the 17 total fighters that night were picked for post-fight drug testing: Bonnar, Griffin, Chuck Liddell, and Renato Sobral. Of the four, only Bonnar failed when he tested positive for Boldenone, an anabolic steroid used for treating injured horses. The steroid is so potent, the FDA issued a warning that it should not be used on horses intended for human consumption. The Nevada State Athletic Commission, the same commission that sanctions the Ultimate Fighting Championship organization, suspended Bonnar for nine months.

Unfortunately, Bonnar isnít alone. In 2002, Josh Barnett also tested positive for the same anabolic steroid as Bonnar. For Barnett, it cost him the title he had just won from hall of fame legend Randy Couture.

In July 2006, Kimo Leopoldo was pulled from a WFA event after failing a pre-fight drug test. He tested positive for Stanozolol, another form of anabolic steroid. This, however, was not Kimoís first time at the rodeo with regard to steroids. He was suspended and fined by the NSAC after failing a post-fight drug test following a loss to the legendary Ken Shamrock, another UFC hall of fame alumnus.

October 26, 2006 saw the return of the now drug free Josh Barnett when he was cleared by the NSAC to fight Pawel Nastula on the Pride: Raw Deal card in Las Vegas. Barnett took the win over Nastula who tested positive for Nandrolone in a post-fight drug screen. Fighting in that same event was Vitor Belfort, who tested positive for Hydroxytestosterone the same time as Nastula. Both fighters still await a decision from NSAC as to what disciplinary action will be taken.

Contracts are on the line with big name fight leagues such as UFC and Pride each time a fighter loses. For some, this makes the chance of being selected for random drug testing worth the risk. Ironically, of the four fighters who tested positive for banned substances in 2006, one tested positive pre-fight causing him to forfeit his opportunity and the other three lost the fights they were later busted on. Despite the hype about steroids potentially offering an unfair advantage, it would seem they arenít necessarily effective in mixed martial arts, where skill is often more determining than muscle size.

there are alot of MMA fighters that juice.. A LOT
    just because they dont test positive doesnt mean they arent on anything.
    Lots of athletes in contact sports juice. Why .. because it helps with training, gives you an edge, and can prolong your career.
    I dont think its nessasary though.. IMO if you look at fighters of old... even soldiers in ancient times, they were true warriors.. probably would eat guys of this time alive.

Just like there is a difference training in a fancy fu-fu gym with new shiny equipment with half naked women and little sissys men afraid of their own sweat talking on their cell phones .. than in a dirty smelly dark gym filled with a bunch of hard asses!

Anyone can take steroids its easy,
    IMO to be the best.. you dont need steroids, at least not for a true warrior!!!!
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by PHWSSJ View Post
    ya EPO will work if: you can find it.. if you dont need to cut more than 10lbs in water unless you want to have a stroke .. and if you dont get cut in the fight and bleed to death!!!!

EPO+MMA = bad idea
    EPO thickens blood but I'n not sure it's effect on coagulation. I doubt it would cause you to bleed like a stuck pig however. Alledgedly the USOC and IOC can test for epo though I'm not sure if atheltic commision testing is as stringent.

I'd like to see Oxycyte brought to the grey/black market as it should be safer than EPO yet just as effective.
  27. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
    EPO thickens blood but I'n not sure it's effect on coagulation. I doubt it would cause you to bleed like a stuck pig however. Alledgedly the USOC and IOC can test for epo though I'm not sure if atheltic commision testing is as stringent.

I'd like to see Oxycyte brought to the grey/black market as it should be safer than EPO yet just as effective.
    The problem with Oxycyte is that it binds oxygen TOO well. The nice thing about hemoglobin is that it has sigmoid binding kinetics, which means that it'll pick up oxygen in the lungs and release it in the blood. Oxycite binds oxygen very effectively everywhere and it IS useful for oxygen transport but I don't know that it would be the best athletic supplement. Time will tell.

EPO is out of your system in 4-5 days. The way they determine if you've been using it beyond that time frame is if your hematocrit levels are above either .48 or .52, can't remember which. Hematocrit levels below .48 but still above .4 are insanely effective for performance enhancement though...
  28. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by ersatz View Post

i forget where and what it was, but i remember reading something saying that EPO will make you bleed like a stuck pig. I could be wrong it was a while back. However... trying to cut water weight is dangerouse while on EPO. That i know for sure... you have to really know what your doing. Keep in mind there is always a price to pay, if its too good to be true it probably is!
  29. Senior Member

i forget where and what it was, but i remember reading something saying that EPO will make you bleed like a stuck pig. I could be wrong it was a while back. However... trying to cut water weight is dangerouse while on EPO. That i know for sure... you have to really know what your doing. Keep in mind there is always a price to pay, if its too good to be true it probably is!
    Yeah, if I was going to cut more than a couple of pounds of water, I'd just blood dope, rather than use EPO. Same effect, just more trouble to achieve.
  30. Board Supporter

Yeah, if I was going to cut more than a couple of pounds of water, I'd just blood dope, rather than use EPO. Same effect, just more trouble to achieve.
    exactly! i have read that some users of epo experienced faster healing... some cyclists report that after 150 mile race they dont feel tired the next day and they can do it again.. little is known about epo, thats for sure.

but still... nothing can replace hard core training!

I always say "easy come.. easy go" its tried n' true!!!!
  31. Senior Member

exactly! i have read that some users of epo experienced faster healing... some cyclists report that after 150 mile race they dont feel tired the next day and they can do it again.. little is known about epo, thats for sure.

but still... nothing can replace hard core training!

I always say "easy come.. easy go" its tried n' true!!!!
    EPO is fairly well characterized. The reason that people who use it report faster recovery time from endurance exercise is that there are several signal cascades that are initiated as a result of high blood lactate levels and low blood/tissue glucose levels, which upset homeostasis. EPO indirectly causes a decrease in the degree of lactate production which leads to less of a metabolic insult as a result of exercise.
  32. Board Supporter

EPO is fairly well characterized. The reason that people who use it report faster recovery time from endurance exercise is that there are several signal cascades that are initiated as a result of high blood lactate levels and low blood/tissue glucose levels, which upset homeostasis. EPO indirectly causes a decrease in the degree of lactate production which leads to less of a metabolic insult as a result of exercise.
    hmm.. ok
    i need to read up on this stuff again, i still think that there is more than meets the eye about epo. Its fairly new.
  33. Senior Member

hmm.. ok
    i need to read up on this stuff again, i still think that there is more than meets the eye about epo. Its fairly new.
    The recombinant form produced by chinese hamster ovaries is fairly new... People have been purifying, crystallizing, and studying the stuff for a while. The recombinant protein is almost exactly the same as the stuff produced by our kidneys.
  34. Board Supporter

The recombinant form produced by chinese hamster ovaries is fairly new... People have been purifying, crystallizing, and studying the stuff for a while. The recombinant protein is almost exactly the same as the stuff produced by our kidneys.
    WOW!! you know you sh1t.. reps to you buddy

Similar Forum Threads

1. mixed martial arts?!?
    By dylandufault in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 05:43 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2012, 02:35 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 03:40 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 06:04 PM