Sanchez Fined For Pot!

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
Sherdog.com - Serving up Heaping Fistfuls of Mixed Martial Arts

UFC welterweight star Diego Sanchez was fined $500 and suspended three months following his Dec. 13 knockout of Joe Riggs at Miramar Marine Crops Air Station, Carlos Arias of the Orange County Register reported Thursday.

California State Athletic Commission executive officer Armando Garcia informed Arias that Sanchez has paid the fine and served his suspension, and is now free to fight Josh Koscheck April 7 in Houston, Texas.

Sanchez is another in a growing line of young mixed martial artists who have tested positive for marijuana following a fight.

Most recently, the Nevada State Athletic Commission informed Nick Diaz that his post-fight urinalysis found traces of marijuana in his system. Diaz, 23, will have an opportunity to state his case in front of the NSAC on April 11, Sherdog.com has learned.

Does this mean that marijuana will be classified as a performance enhancing drug? That's two winners positive for pot!

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
More power to him, I say, if the Dirty Sanchez needs to chill with some weed, that's ok.I always thought that Diego needed a good lovin woman to sooth his rough edges and Da Smoke is far less debilitating than regular use of Da Drink is. Glad he was'nt sanctioned out of UFC 69 for this, cause I'm looking forward to this fight.

Sanchez and Koscheck, barring a flash KO, should be a really good one, two well matched opponents in a nasty grudge match, they really hate each other and are fighting for a title shot.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
That's some BS I could see a fine for performance enhancers but come on smoking some bud is nonsense why even test for it. He needs to state a medical case to the NSAC LOL

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
it's a joke for sure. It's ok if he gets piss drunk but not smoke a little herb. Personally I'm not into marijuana never have been but I'll be damned if I can come up with a good reason why its outlawed.

size

Awards
  • Established
The claim is that it could help reduce the fighter's sensitivity to pain. So a fighter being able to withstand more pain has the potential to stay in a fight longer. In regards to Sanchez's last fight, the only pain I imagine he might have had would be in his knee.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
it's a joke for sure. It's ok if he gets piss drunk but not smoke a little herb. Personally I'm not into marijuana never have been but I'll be damned if I can come up with a good reason why its outlawed.
The alcohol industry lobbied to get it banned back in the day from what I read. They viewed it as competition.

pist

Awards
The alcohol industry lobbied to get it banned back in the day from what I read. They viewed it as competition.
It was originally made illegal due to racism (as most other drugs).

edit: btw I'm sure most of the alcohol industry is very much against decriminalization / legalization and may have very well played a part

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
It was originally made illegal due to racism (as most other drugs).

edit: btw I'm sure most of the alcohol industry is very much against decriminalization / legalization and may have very well played a part
actually the coors family/company is one of the largest lobbyists against decriminalization in the country. especially in colorado, where the lifestyle is very progressive, it's quite amazing that pot has not been decriminalized...money=power.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hate it that athletes are suspended and reprimanded for using marijuana; if anything, it is a performance decreasing drug. I think they should get a bonus if they can still smoke marijuana and perform at a high level.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
The claim is that it could help reduce the fighter's sensitivity to pain. So a fighter being able to withstand more pain has the potential to stay in a fight longer. In regards to Sanchez's last fight, the only pain I imagine he might have had would be in his knee.
Herb may decrease pain, but do they seriously think a world class athlete will perform at his best when high? I've had some good rounds of golf when stoned, but even then, I get extra paranoid that a wild drive from another hole is going to hit me. I can't imagine the paranoia that going into a fight blazed would cause.

Herb is strictly for relaxing :afro:

size

Awards
  • Established
Supposedly, Eddie Bravo has claimed that he grapples better when "stoned".
Of course, I highly doubt that anyone is performing better due to using marijuana.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How do they make weight smoking the herb??

That's what I wanna' know.

I'd never make weight if I smoked.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Supposedly, Eddie Bravo has claimed that he grapples better when "stoned".
Of course, I highly doubt that anyone is performing better due to using marijuana.
Even still, grappling and getting elbowed in the face are very different. Grappling can be a finesse game, but I can't imagine someone being explosive or handling explosiveness as well after smoking.

ICantRunFast

ICantRunFast

Awards
I think most pro-athletes use herb for the post-game.....it would def. have an effect to dull the doreness of a rough game...

pot being illegal is b.s....its was made illegal not only because of competition with alochol but it was directly associated with the counter-culture revolution of the 1960's and 70's and the vietnam war era. Marijuana is even classified as a "schedule 1" drug in law in the same level of harmfullness as heroin, crystal meth, and crack coccaine ! It was outlawed with false evidence of causing hysteria in children and even went as far to say it caused one teen to murder his whole family....the movie "reefer madness" was made originally to promote marijuana awarness...it's a joke....

sorry i'm venting.... i might lose my license and be fined $3,000 because of a half a joint in my ashtray AHHHHHHH

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Not everyone gets mellow on MJ.

I did when I was a teenager, somewhere along the way as my neurochemistry and/or general craziness shifted into adulthood, even normally stoning couchlock Indicas energize me.

I hardly partake at all anymore, haven't for a long time, it's an inebriating stimulant for me, it's seriously amps me up.

The general exception proving the rule, I guess, the Nordic Berzerker gene, the Western equivalent to the Asian Hashians. :cool:

In all seriousness, I've heard the same from quite a few other upper level athletes, there's something different about our neurochemistry in some of us, He Men Master of the Universe Types.:twisted:

ICantRunFast

ICantRunFast

Awards
yeh i agree somewhat...i did have a couple of friends that would smoke and totally tweek out...but c'mon classifying it on the same level as heroin, coccaine, etc... is as crazy as He-man's clothing...marijuana isnt even physically addictive in any way and no-one has ever had an "overdose" causing serious problems....

although some of the science behind marijuana growing now is causing it to be alot more potent and causing the stimulant affects in people...

.......damn cops......

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Not everyone gets mellow on MJ.

I did when I was a teenager, somewhere along the way as my neurochemistry and/or general craziness shifted into adulthood, even normally stoning couchlock Indicas energize me.

I hardly partake at all anymore, haven't for a long time, it's an inebriating stimulant for me, it's seriously amps me up.

The general exception proving the rule, I guess, the Nordic Berzerker gene, the Western equivalent to the Asian Hashians. :cool:

In all seriousness, I've heard the same from quite a few other upper level athletes, there's something different about our neurochemistry in some of us, He Men Master of the Universe Types.:twisted:
Pretty sure you had a little Sherm in the mix their She-Man. I gotta find that He-Man gif where he's jizzing on everyone.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
More power to him, I say, if the Dirty Sanchez needs to chill with some weed, that's ok.I always thought that Diego needed a good lovin woman to sooth his rough edges and Da Smoke is far less debilitating than regular use of Da Drink is. Glad he was'nt sanctioned out of UFC 69 for this, cause I'm looking forward to this fight.

Sanchez and Koscheck, barring a flash KO, should be a really good one, two well matched opponents in a nasty grudge match, they really hate each other and are fighting for a title shot.
Title shot? I doubt it, Koscheck is a young punk with not enough experience. Personally I think Sanchez is going to work him and probably TKO him in the first, maybe second round. I think Kos has fought some really unworthy opponents, as opposed to Sanchez who had a grueling fight with Karo Parysian who I think is a badass and knocking out the Diesel.

If Kos wins this I will be unbelievably surprised. The only thing that could make this a good fight is the fact that they hate each other.

I still don't think Kos would get a title shot for a while though. Kos vs. GSP??!!?! HAHA omg would he die. Kos would never even be able to beat Hughes.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
With Koscheck and Sanchez, it's not so much a matter of deserving, particularly with JK, it's more a matter of being more ready than the developmental welterweights in the UFC ranks and not having lost to get knocked down in the order for title contention.

IMO, and apparently in the opinion of these two and the hints, that's the best we'll ever get out of him, from Dana White, the winner of this fight will be the top contender.

I can almost guarantee that an unbeaten Sanchez will be GSP's next opponent, barring the upset by Serra. Koscheck is more a maybe, maybe a title shot , maybe a match with the only other man at the top, Matt Hughes.

I think JK is going to suprise in this fight, that he's good enough on his feet to get the opportunity to take Sanchez down repeatedly and beat him with GNP or outpoint him back and forth for a decision win. I'm looking forward to this one, barring a flash KO, these two haters are gonna beat on each other, that bad blood should make for a mean fight.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think you're right, Rogue, but I'd like to see the winner fight Hughes before they get GSP. I believe Hughes is still the #1 contender, and should have to be beaten for the next guy to get the shot. Of course, that would leave the problem of Hughes getting a rematch soon if he wins. I think he needs to work his way back up. Defeating Lytle is not sufficient for another shot at GSP.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
With Koscheck and Sanchez, it's not so much a matter of deserving, particularly with JK, it's more a matter of being more ready than the developmental welterweights in the UFC ranks and not having lost to get knocked down in the order for title contention.

IMO, and apparently in the opinion of these two and the hints, that's the best we'll ever get out him, from Dana White, the winner of this fight will be the top contender.

I can almost guarantee that an unbeaten Sanchez will be GSP's next opponent, barring the upset by Serra. Koscheck is more a maybe, maybe a title shot , maybe a match with the only other man at the top, Matt Hughes.

I think JK is going to suprise in this fight, that he's good enough on his feet to get the opportunity to take Sanchez down repeatedly and beat him with GNP or outpoint him back and forth for a decision win. I'm looking forward to this one, barring a flash KO, these two haters are gonna beat on each other, that bad blood should make for a mean fight.
I feel that as well. JK has improved vastly, vastly, in his stand-up game; admittedly, he is no Silva, insofar as his striking isn't quick and extremely accurate. Point remains however, that I think his striking is DEFINITELY good enough to create takedown openings for him.

I see him going for a Couture-esque strategy; jabbing, possibly some overhand rights to backpedal Sanchez, dirty box him in a clinch up against the fence, and then go for a takedown or slam in his corner.

If he does get Diego to the ground, though Diego is no slouch, I think JK has the strength to keep Diego there for GnP points. I mean, I hate JK's personality, I think he's a wet (slang where I live for wet behind the ears) but that does not negate his skill.

Even still, I picked Diego for the win in the contest (which you still haven't entered I believe Rogue. Exciting match-up is in order though.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I think you're right, Rogue, but I'd like to see the winner fight Hughes before they get GSP. I believe Hughes is still the #1 contender, and should have to be beaten for the next guy to get the shot. Of course, that would leave the problem of Hughes getting a rematch soon if he wins. I think he needs to work his way back up. Defeating Lytle is not sufficient for another shot at GSP.
I would DEFINITELY agree with this, although I have been wanting to see Diego fight GSP for quite a while. It is hard to say Hughes isn't still the top contender. I think he was just underprepared for that fight with GSP and deserves another shot.

If Kos got a shot at the title after this one fight I would be pissed. There are a lot of other deserving people right now. Kos is still young in the MMA seen and as Mullet said I think he throws a bit wildely. If he tries that stuff with Diego, then he is going to get knocked on his behind like The Diesel did lol.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I didn't state he threw wildly, just that he wasn't an extremely accurate striker like Silva (ala picking Leben and Franklin apart).

I do not forsee a Hughes/GSP rematch going any differently.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Kos isn't wild like W. Silva gets sometimes, but he throws some big overhands that miss the mark by 2 feet. He seems to keep his hands up well while throwing, though.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I meant he isn't accurate like the Silva of the Anderson variety.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
If Diego wins, I'd like to see Diego-GSP, Kos-Fitch, and Hughes-Karo (since this fight was supposed to happen long ago). Then if Hughes wins, he gets a title shot again.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Hughes is still the top contender, but they have to shuffle the lineup around before he gets another shot at GSP.

Having maybe gotten the need to excessively standup maybe out of his system, I suspect that Hughes will be harder than ever to beat, more hungry and working his bread butter shoot and GNP better than ever. GSP has the tools to beat him, but the other guys, probably not, but Diego has continued to thwart my predictions of his defeat.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Whitesnake General Chat 9
bla55 MMA 50
Jessep76 MMA 60
TheMouth MMA 19
Anabolics 4