Nick Diaz signs with Pride!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nick Diaz has signed with Pride, and is rumored to be fighting Gomi at the next show here in the U.S. Nick has always walked around at about 175, so he was very small in the UFC WW division, 160 should suit him better. If Gomi/Diaz happens who are you fellas taking and why? Should be a good fight, I'd take Gomi by KO, although its likely it will go to decision.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
After sanchez beat diaz i was dissapointed with his weapons, but the fact remains that he can still land an elbow or punch that could cut gomi ala kenny florian. im going to go against my instinct and say war ending in the third by ko from gomi.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Dayum...
I think it will go to a decision for Gomi. I don't think Diaz strikes with enough power to KO anybody except for that one time he got lucky. But he has an awesome chin. He took loads of punishment from Joe Riggs and didn't look like he got hurt too bad.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
If Gomi KO's Diaz that says quite a bit. Like Warrior said, Diaz is a punishment taking machine. I am probably in the minority here, but I like Diaz a lot, guy is entertaining as hell. Although my more precise prediction, Gomi by KO to the body.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Gomi will win by ref stoppage late in the first or early in the second. Diaz puts up a good fight against just about everyone, but he's outclassed. It will be interesting to see how Diaz fairs against other top Pride guys. It will give us a nice UFC vs. Pride comparison for the lighter guys.

Is it a one fight deal, though? I think Lawlor's deal might have just for one fight since I heard he had a fight for another org.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Gomi will win by ref stoppage late in the first or early in the second. Diaz puts up a good fight against just about everyone, but he's outclassed. It will be interesting to see how Diaz fairs against other top Pride guys. It will give us a nice UFC vs. Pride comparison for the lighter guys.

Is it a one fight deal, though? I think Lawlor's deal might have just for one fight since I heard he had a fight for another org.
I'm not sure if it is a one fight deal, but I hope not. Diaz/Sakurai, Aoki, Hansen, Melendez, I'd love to see any of those fights.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure if it is a one fight deal, but I hope not. Diaz/Sakurai, Aoki, Hansen, Melendez, I'd love to see any of those fights.
...and it is probably a better weight class for Diaz.

size

Awards
  • Established
Gomi wins
Here is how it happens:
Both men circle around the middle and throw a few jabs. Gomi notices that Diaz continues to throw lazy punches that drag back and keeps his hands too low. Gomi attacks with a big overhand followed by a hook knocking Diaz down. Gomi gets on top and hits a few shots. Diaz escapes to his feet but gets stuck in a corner as Gomi unloads punch after punch until ref stops as Diaz can no longer defend.
This is how I expect it to go. :)

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Gomi wins
Here is how it happens:
Both men circle around the middle and throw a few jabs. Gomi notices that Diaz continues to throw lazy punches that drag back and keeps his hands too low. Gomi attacks with a big overhand followed by a hook knocking Diaz down. Gomi gets on top and hits a few shots. Diaz escapes to his feet but gets stuck in a corner as Gomi unloads punch after punch until ref stops as Diaz can no longer defend.
This is how I expect it to go. :)
Sounds like a pretty good prediction. Much better than Alex's bodyshot KO. :twisted:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a pretty good prediction. Much better than Alex's bodyshot KO. :twisted:
Hey, I predicted bodyshot KO in the Mirko/Magamedov fight! Gomi is a sick bodypuncher, and Diaz will be a skeleton at 160. O.K. fine I'm lying I didn't predict a bodyshot KO in the Mirko/Magomedov fight, but it sounded cool.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It's certainly possible and you'll look pretty smart if it happens. CC has dropped a few people with that liver kick like the Texas Crazy Horse although it took a little GnP to finish him. I think he'll drop Sylvia with it as well.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I would have expected Gilbert Melendez to get a shot at Gomi before Diaz would,?

Diaz can take a punch, and Gomi's the man to give him one or ten, I don't see Nick's groundgame being good enough to sub Gomi before the Fireball Kid takes him out.

Cro Cop was pretty green when he fought in K1,still good enough to knock JLB to the floor, he's matured as a fighter, I think he would have an excellent chance to beat Semmy Schilt there with his world's best LHK, but he probably won't go for it.

I say world's best because there are other guys who can kick that high, but no one currently in K1 can do so with his power.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I would have expected Gilbert Melendez to get a shot at Gomi before Diaz would,?

Diaz can take a punch, and Gomi's the man to give him one or ten, I don't see Nick's groundgame being good enough to sub Gomi before the Fireball Kid takes him out.
Diaz is a fairly big name in the UFC so it makes sense that Gomi would be sent to take him out for his US debut. Melendez should get a shot soon, but I'm sure it will be nontitle.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Diaz/Gomi is official along with: Mac Danzig/Mach, Trigg/Misaki, and Nak/Wiuff. I don't know much about Danzig, anybody? Trigg/Misaki should be good, and Nak shouldn't have much trouble with Wiuff. Anybody going to this event?

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
Danzig fought in KOTC...

I think Diaz has a chance if he gets Gomi to the ground.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I've never seen Danzig fight, but he has a good record against not so good caliber fighters, Mach should handle him easily. So far the card looks like this: (with my picks in parenthesis)
Wand vs Hendo(Wand)
Gomi vs Diaz(Gomi)
Shogun vs Overeem II(Overeem)
Mach vs Danzig(Mach)
Trigg vs Misaki(Misake)
Nak vs Wiuff(Nak)
Kharitonov vs Yvel(Kharitonov)

and possibly Robbie Lawler vs Cung Lee(Lawler)

They'll most likely add 2-3 more fights, looks good so far.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
War Diaz!!!

The first and probably only time I'll ever say that.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Wand vs Hendo- Wanderlei in typical mauling style as Hendo isn't a linear striker. Should be entertaining.

Gomi vs Diaz- Gomi by GnP from vicious bodyshot. Diaz is dumb enough to trade and he won't KO Gomi standing, won't cut him with elbows either as it's illegal. I hope Gomi puts it to him. Diaz needs some attitude adjustment via being beat senseless.

Shogun vs Overeem II -Toss up. Overeem ends it quickly in 5 mins or he gasses and Shogun gets a sub or decision.

Mach vs Danzig - Mach. Danzig hasn't faced a fighter the caliber of Mach. Fought mostly bums in KOTC and he can't match Mach striking or on the ground.

Trigg vs Misaki- I'll give Trigg the advantage as his sub defense is better. He's probably stronger standing but I see him taking to the ground for GnP win.

Nak vs Wiuff- Nak likely by sub or decision.

Kharitonov vs Yvel- Sergei, though he's been spotty as of late.

Robbie Lawler vs Cung Lee- Hope Lawler beats him senseless.

And I'll definitely be in attendance to witness it all.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wand vs Hendo- Wanderlei in typical mauling style as Hendo isn't a linear striker. Should be entertaining.

Gomi vs Diaz- Gomi by GnP from vicious bodyshot. Diaz is dumb enough to trade and he won't KO Gomi standing, won't cut him with elbows either as it's illegal. I hope Gomi puts it to him. Diaz needs some attitude adjustment via being beat senseless.

Shogun vs Overeem II -Toss up. Overeem ends it quickly in 5 mins or he gasses and Shogun gets a sub or decision.

Mach vs Danzig - Mach. Danzig hasn't faced a fighter the caliber of Mach. Fought mostly bums in KOTC and he can't match Mach striking or on the ground.

Trigg vs Misaki- I'll give Trigg the advantage as his sub defense is better. He's probably stronger standing but I see him taking to the ground for GnP win.

Nak vs Wiuff- Nak likely by sub or decision.

Kharitonov vs Yvel- Sergei, though he's been spotty as of late.

Robbie Lawler vs Cung Lee- Hope Lawler beats him senseless.

And I'll definitely be in attendance to witness it all.
Nice analysis and picks.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I agree with for the most part. Except for Shogun over Overeem. Overeem's dangerous, but he's not looked good lately. Injuries seem to be a factor, but Shogun will survive the onslaught and sub him.

Glad to see Trigg fighting top competition again, but I think he'll lose.

Sergei should stick to fighting in the US cause he's been eating a lot of knees to the face. Hopefully, he'll take Yvel down and GnP him. NO 'bring it on hand gestures'.

Wandy will be confident against Hendo and maul him as you guys said.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I dont know as much about the lighter wieghts in pride, but id have to give it to gomi. Personally i dont think diaz has the experience quite yet to make the move, but ive been wrong before. Im more excited right now about the cro crop fight next month:woohoo:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I dont know as much about the lighter wieghts in pride, but id have to give it to gomi. Personally i dont think diaz has the experience quite yet to make the move, but ive been wrong before. Im more excited right now about the cro crop fight next month:woohoo:
Than maybe you'll be excited when Fedor fights Olaf Alfonso. JK, not trying to give you a hard time, but Crocop is going to destroy Sanchez, its not like its an intriguing match-up. Cro-cop is always exciting so I can see where you're coming from.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Than maybe you'll be excited when Fedor fights Olaf Alfonso. JK, not trying to give you a hard time, but Crocop is going to destroy Sanchez, its not like its an intriguing match-up. Cro-cop is always exciting so I can see where you're coming from.
Agreed once again. Hell win easily, but the only way to get harder and more challegeing oppenents is to prove ones self and make an image. U, I and the mma community know crocrop but what about the millions who wil watch ufc who watch it merly for the 'blood' who dont take the exra time to either do research or train in mma. By gettin his rep up stateside for those who dont know him, will resut in better ratings, more oney to UFC and therefore more money to pay out higher contracts to better fighters. Ive alrdy made this too complicated lol, but u see my point, but like u said i enjoy anycrocrop ,(or:twisted: fedor) fight.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I think it's unlikely, being the displined commando that Mirko is, but it's possible he'll come in flat and give a poor showing.

That would suck, the know only the UFC crowd would continue to think that Tim Sylvia really is the World Champion.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I hear you Rogue. Seeing Herring and Pulver both look like feces in the face of the hype definitely makes me worry about the debuts of two of my favorites--Crocop and Rampage.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Nah, they'll do good, we have faith.

Don't try anymore Austin Powerisms on either Rodja or Size, they're bad eggs, there's no yolk in 'em, yuck, yuck, :D

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
well it would be safe to say if crocrop did xsomehow lose,... then all the accusations ive heard here and there about certain ufc fights being rigged, would be true. Put it this way, tim sylvia could be allowed to brass knuckes and he still would get his ass kicked. Cro crop would just get the dam things outta his and then kick him again in the side of the head lol,:icon_lol:

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
The big ogre tim might be tough to kick in the head, his knees are turned inwards and would quite easy to victimize. i forsee a body knee barrage that has him whinning for it to end.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
The big ogre tim might be tough to kick in the head, his knees are turned inwards and would quite easy to victimize. i forsee a body knee barrage that has him whinning for it to end.
true hes tall as hell, but ive seen crocrop kick tall guys in the head over and over lol. Prob with tims extended height, the only kick crocrop coundnt do would be the verticaldrop kick where he extends his leg out forward and high, and brings it down onto the side of the neck/trap area. But realistically although he'd be killed lol, Dana white got more $$ ahead of him, with cc and rampage, as the HW division lately since Arlovski's dismise has shrivled to that of the Boxing HW fighters. I think him and rampage will bring alot to the ufc.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Axe Kick, the late great Andy Hug was a master of that.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Anyone wanna set up a sort of pool where we post the fights, our picks, and the winner gets reps or something. I dunno a friendly wager is kinda cool for braggind rights and gives credibility to lucky dunbasses or the guys with an eye for talent.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I like this idea, adds interest here to the contests.

My proposal would be to, and I'll run it so I can cheat as necessary, jk, would be to put up the fight card, then people put up their picks by the start of the events, I would declare the winners on the bottom of the the thread, everyone who participated would rep the winners.

yes?, counter proposals?

Should we do all the fights, or just the televised ones?

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Or, we could do it so that the winners get money.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Or, we could do it so that the winners get money.
There's never been an official statement on doing this, Size?; but we all suspected that was not kosher previously, did'nt we?

I'm going to put up a thread as I outlined, side $ bets can be done by interested parties, however that goes.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I like this idea, adds interest here to the contests.

My proposal would be to, and I'll run it so I can cheat as necessary, jk, would be to put up the fight card, then people put up their picks by the start of the events, I would declare the winners on the bottom of the the thread, everyone who participated would rep the winners.

yes?, counter proposals?

Should we do all the fights, or just the televised ones?
This sounds good, all fights. Anyone got the full list to post. I cannot affort to give you my money sir savage lol.:hammer:

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
There's never been an official statement on doing this, Size?; but we all suspected that was not kosher previously, did'nt we?

I'm going to put up a thread as I outlined, side $ bets can be done by interested parties, however that goes.
Heheh, it was more of a joke than anything. I doubt they'd allow it.

Maybe they'd allow Avant supps, though.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Nobody wants your stankin' supplements anyway, we are on the far superior Xycience line of the UFC.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
AR >>> Xyience, but ah! Ye does not know of AR yet.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
Just saw this little quote from Diaz at GracieFighter.com...

"I don't think he has anything to offer that I haven't seen before. I think I've fought tougher guys than him. The guys I've fought hit harder, were better wrestlers and better grapplers. What does he think he'll be able to do to me? I'm not intimidated at all and if he thinks he can knock me out that's fine. I think he'll be the one getting an ass beating so I hope he's ready."

I love Diaz and he'll make this a helluva fight. Diaz by submission round 2. Unless the real Gomi decides to show up, of course.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Diaz running his mouth again. He's a good fighter, though, but he's in over his head. I think we;d all agree that over the last few years Pride has had a lot more talent at the heavier weights, the welterweight div in the UFC is no joke. It would be interesting to have more light UFC fighters vs. Pride fighter comparisons.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Just saw this little quote from Diaz at GracieFighter.com...

"I don't think he has anything to offer that I haven't seen before. I think I've fought tougher guys than him. The guys I've fought hit harder, were better wrestlers and better grapplers. What does he think he'll be able to do to me? I'm not intimidated at all and if he thinks he can knock me out that's fine. I think he'll be the one getting an ass beating so I hope he's ready."

I love Diaz and he'll make this a helluva fight. Diaz by submission round 2. Unless the real Gomi decides to show up, of course.
I don't know what it is about Diaz, but I like the guy a lot too. Usually I don't like punks, which he is, but he's just being himself. The guys hilarious, with his aloof ****-talking style, backs it up too.