Pride Final Conflict

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Beowulf...what did you decide to starting practicing? BJJ, muay thai?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    Sergei looked rocked when he went down; I think that is why he couldn't mount any offense. I think that half-arsed shoot that put him on the ground was more the result of being rocked than being an actual shoot. He is definitely a tough guy to even be able to attempt a shoot when most would be on their backs, but I think he was seeing stars and unable to bounce back.

I'll definitely ask my instructor about Wandy. I hope his head is ok too. I couldn't go to class yesterday b/c of a meeting, but I should be there on Friday.
    He was definitely rocked bad, but he still seemed somewhat coherant. It's as if he likes punishment. I liked how Sergei waved Aleks to bring it and without hesitation Aleks rocks him bad and then Sergei rocked as h*ll still waves him to bring it some more. Tough yes, smart no. Sergei should take a year or two off and come back refreshed.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by size
    Here is the Aleksvs Sergei fight.
    Aleks vs Sergei
    One thing I do not understand about Aleks is why he always drops his left hand down so often
    Watched that. That's fairly common in boxing - not the best when kicks are flying...

4. Quote Originally Posted by size
    Beowulf...what did you decide to starting practicing? BJJ, muay thai?
    Both, but Muay Thai fits better with my schedule, so I end up training it more. Once I have my new school year routine down I'm gonna try to find more time for BJJ. Classes are at 10am or 8pm, and last 90-120 minutes. 10am is not an option, and 8pm is pretty late considering I wake up at 4-4:30am. The gym is awesome and the instructor is excellent. It is a bit intimidating, though, when he is demonstrating on me...he is from Chute Box

5. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    Both, but Muay Thai fits better with my schedule, so I end up training it more. Once I have my new school year routine down I'm gonna try to find more time for BJJ. Classes are at 10am or 8pm, and last 90-120 minutes. 10am is not an option, and 8pm is pretty late considering I wake up at 4-4:30am. The gym is awesome and the instructor is excellent. It is a bit intimidating, though, when he is demonstrating on me...he is from Chute Box
    Props to you for getting off your ass and starting to train MMA. I need to do the same, hitting a bag and wrestling friends isn't the best progression. Good luck with that Hiatus Boy
    •   

6. That's "semi-hiatus boy" to you

I made a deal with myself: I only read the MMA forum, update products I'm testing, and read the threads I'm already subscribed to through my UserCP. Before it was easy to spend hours lost reading through here. Now I just pop in while I'm eating, unwinding, etc.

7. Hey Alex, you may want to hold off on too much bag work until you actually have an instructor observing you. It is really easy to pick up bad habits, and once the neuromuscular coordination is strong it may be hard to drop the bad habits. At the very least, try to use a mirror so you can get some sense of if you're dropping your hands. My leg kicks were feeling awkward as hell, but my instructor caught the issue--I was rising up a bit, detracting from the drive forward and taking force off the kick. Little mistakes add up.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    Hey Alex, you may want to hold off on too much bag work until you actually have an instructor observing you. It is really easy to pick up bad habits, and once the neuromuscular coordination is strong it may be hard to drop the bad habits. At the very least, try to use a mirror so you can get some sense of if you're dropping your hands. My leg kicks were feeling awkward as hell, but my instructor caught the issue--I was rising up a bit, detracting from the drive forward and taking force off the kick. Little mistakes add up.
    I appreciate the advice. I film myself on the bag occasionally, but then again it's just me evaluating it and I don't know jack technically(especially on lower body striking). I don't know if you remember Jimmy Lange from the first season of the contender? He's a few years older then me, but I grew up in the same neighborhood as him and he taught me a good bit about boxing. I really need to get with a good muay thai coach and actually learn something for a change. Maybe I need to do the basketball on the shoulder/bicep trick for keeping up my hands, because they definitely drop often and I don't like getting punched in the face!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    It is a bit intimidating, though, when he is demonstrating on me...he is from Chute Box
    It is always a bit intimidating at first, but in time you will adjust. Also in time, you will be the one intimidating.

Muay Thai is lots of fun, especially elbows and some big knees from the plum.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    I appreciate the advice. I film myself on the bag occasionally, but then again it's just me evaluating it and I don't know jack technically(especially on lower body striking). I don't know if you remember Jimmy Lange from the first season of the contender? He's a few years older then me, but I grew up in the same neighborhood as him and he taught me a good bit about boxing. I really need to get with a good muay thai coach and actually learn something for a change. Maybe I need to do the basketball on the shoulder/bicep trick for keeping up my hands, because they definitely drop often and I don't like getting punched in the face!
    That is what is great about sparring: you get hit in the face every time you drop your hands. Punches to the face spark a great conditioned response

Size, the knees are my favorite, and probably what I do best. A series of knees from the clinch is a bit like "skanking", if you're familiar with ska.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    A series of knees from the clinch is a bit like "skanking", if you're familiar with ska.

12. It's funny cuz it's true. My instructor started demonstrating the motion solo, and everyone started laughing, including him. But once you try it on a person, no more laughing...I knew there had to be a more logical reason that skinheads like ska

13. Brawl Sports: Liddell-Silva on the shelf for now

Here's what Dana had to say about CC vs. Wandy. He implies that Silva doesn't deserve a shot at Chuck after losing to CC. I don't think a heavyweight fight against the #2 guy at HW should effect the title shot and he doesn't really have the talent pool to keep chuck in interesting fights. After Tito, who is there?

Also, there's a new Wandy interview on Sherdog.

14. Yeah Wandy doesn't deserve a shot at Chuck, but Vernon White, Jeremy Horn, and Babalu do. What a hilarious joke, like you said Crocop is the #2 HW in the world, so Dana is basically saying if Wand isn't the best fighter in the world (minus Fedor) he doesn't deserve a shot. I guess he's scared Chuck will lose and then he'll have to use Sylvia as his posterboy. Good thinking Dana.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Pride Bushido WWGP Finals
    By MisterEZE in forum MMA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2006, 03:37 PM
  2. Pride OWGP final matchups
    By MarcusG in forum MMA
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 04:29 PM
  3. Pride Final Conflict
    By MarcusG in forum General Chat