Pride Final Conflict

dito

Awards
  • Established
Barnet beats Melgares by decision. Had a knee bar locked in, in the final 10 seconds.

dito

Awards
  • Established
Aleksander Emelianenko vs. Sergei Kharitonov

Emelianenko wins by stopage.

dito

Awards
  • Established
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Cyrille Diabate

shogun wins by knockout.

dito

Awards
  • Established
Ricardo Arona vs. Alistair Overeem

Arona wins by body lock. Kinda looked like the guy got eye poked.

dito

Awards
  • Established
Crocop wins by tap out. Looked like he punched Barnett in the eye.

Was an awesome fight though.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
All I can say is Crocop has become a GnP machine. It looks like each time he starts throwing the hammer fist he is avenging his loss to Randleman. I've never seen anyone use it so much, and so effectively. It looks like Crocop just entered a new phase of his career, and he is very scary.

Only downside was all the eye poking. Barnett confirmed that he did get poked in the eye unintentionally.

size

Awards
  • Established
Not sure what anyone said during the fight b/c I watched it in Japanese but here was my take.

Aleks looked leaner for this fight and his hands were very fast.

Crocop dominated Silva and had a plan. He kicked a few liver shots to get Silva's hands to drop and threw the high kick which connected. Silva was out and had a cut opened from the kick on the side of his head.

Crocop ability to sprawl is strong(obviously). Barnett was on the receiving end of ALOT of punches from Crocop that went unanswered. Barnett was tough to take all of those. The final punch from Crocop left Barnett in alot of pain. Hopefully his eye is not too badly damaged.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Silva was in trouble when his right eye closed, and, damn, Mirko punches HARD.
Closed right eye + CC LHK = KTFO. He probably didn't see that kick coming. Crocop's GnP looked great, and I'm happy for him. I have thought that he's the guy that can beat Fedor for a while, but "can" and "will" are two different things......

I haven't seen Arona vs. Overeem or Kharitonov vs. Aleksander yet. What did you guys think about these fights?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The Manhoef/Cyborg match was on the youtube a while back so anyone can check that one out. One writer referred to Cyborg as being one step to the left of Silva on the evolutionary scale. That made me laugh.

Thanks for the link, Size. I've got the whole event just haven't had time to watch it yet.

So the new HW rankings are

Fedor
Crocop
Barnett
Nog

??????? I feel uncomfortable with Nog at 4th, though.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Silva was in trouble when his right eye closed, and, damn, Mirko punches HARD.
Closed right eye + CC LHK = KTFO. He probably didn't see that kick coming. Crocop's GnP looked great, and I'm happy for him. I have thought that he's the guy that can beat Fedor for a while, but "can" and "will" are two different things......

I haven't seen Arona vs. Overeem or Kharitonov vs. Aleksander yet. What did you guys think about these fights?
Crocop set up the kick perfectly. He hit Wandy with a liver kick and let Wandy drop his hands before he threw the LHK.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Size I think Aleks drops his left to bait the other guy. I've heard FSN commentators (Glazer and Trigg, I think) criticize Aleks and "not pretty, but gets the job done". For a guy that big, I think he moves really well and has great hands, although he was outclassed by Crocop.

My instructor (friend of wandy and Shogun) actually thinks Shogun is better. Wandy has always had a tendency to get wild. I can't believe he got wild with Crocop. Also, my instructor pointed out that Wandy's greatest weapon is his knees, but he didn't use them in his last two fights.

Wandy didn't look himself at all in that fight. He didn't have that "I'm gonna eat your children" look during the staredown. When he was agressive, he was wildly so. I have to watch it again, but 205 is definitely the weight for him. He is faster with better stamina. I think the deciding factor was Crocop's vicious (and unique) GnP. I've never seen hammer fists used like that so consistently.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Cro crop " right kick hospital, left kick cemetary"

Cro crop destroyed all in his path, emelianenko got dropped but got back his composure in time to keep his defences up. wold not want to tango with that family. would have been a better fight if barnetts fight wasnt 15 mins as opposed to 5 mins for cro crop. either way it was cro crop in my books by a wide margin he looked very strong. couldnt believe that wandy actually came in 4 lbs heavoer than cro crop.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Aleks vs. Sergei was a great fight. I thought Aleks was in trouble early. Sergei was orbiting Pluto when the ref stopped it. Those knees sliding along the canvas were brutal. It looked like one caught him right on the chin, at which point he just stopped moving.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Does any one kno what cro crop was saying, he spoke for awhile and the interpreters did not translate....

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Aleks vs. Sergei was a great fight. I thought Aleks was in trouble early. Sergei was orbiting Pluto when the ref stopped it. Those knees sliding along the canvas were brutal. It looked like one caught him right on the chin, at which point he just stopped moving.
Sergei gets my vote for the toughest SOB in MMA. Not the best by a good margin, but he has absolutely no quit in him. Shogun looked a little rusty. I cried when Wandy got KO'd. Hey dito, where the h*ll did you come up with Melgares:blink: . Crocop looked pretty untouchable. I'm looking forward to a possible NYE match with Crocop/Fedor. Fedor didn't seem to be able to use his hand much in the first fight. I'd like to see the old wolverine style Fedor GnP. Great event, I'll watch it 3 times this week

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sergei gets my vote for the toughest SOB in MMA.
I really like him and I definitely winced more than once watching him take all of those unanswered knees to the face. Amazing card overall, but too bad about the eye pokes...Barnett looked like he would have lost anyway. Mirko was simply in the zone and looked like he could thrown those hammer fists all night long. Off to find some of these fights with "Cyborg". That guy looks crazy!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sergei gets my vote for the toughest SOB in MMA. Not the best by a good margin, but he has absolutely no quit in him. Shogun looked a little rusty. I cried when Wandy got KO'd. Hey dito, where the h*ll did you come up with Melgares:blink: . Crocop looked pretty untouchable. I'm looking forward to a possible NYE match with Crocop/Fedor. Fedor didn't seem to be able to use his hand much in the first fight. I'd like to see the old wolverine style Fedor GnP. Great event, I'll watch it 3 times this week
Shogun's stand-up looked really bad, although his opponent is a world-class Muay Thai fighter. I guess it could be due to ring rust, but I hope the injury doesn't ruin his career. On another note, as good as Overeem is as a striker, he has absolutely no heart and stamina. He has great Muay Thai, but not willing to put in the conditioning needed for MMA.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I hate seeing Wandy lose too. He's a true warrior, but I like Crocop as well and he seems focused and on the top of his game. The Kharitonov fight was hard to watch at the end. I don't understand why he didn't try to get out of that position at the end. I didn't want to see Overeem get beat either, but thought he would. He hasn't quite lived up to the potential I thought that he has.

What did you guys think about the Nog/Barnett decision? I've only watched it once, but it was close. I could see it going either way so I don't have a problem with the decision.

Beo,
Let us know if your instructor has any news on Wandy's condition. Rumors on Sherdog say that he broke a rib early in the fight. He seems to have a lot of problems with his ribs.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Beo,
Let us know if your instructor has any news on Wandy's condition. Rumors on Sherdog say that he broke a rib early in the fight. He seems to have a lot of problems with his ribs.
Or could it be 3 left legs to the ribcage from Mirko???

:D

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
No, I meant he's had broken ribs numerous times in his career from what I've heard.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I hate seeing Wandy lose too. He's a true warrior, but I like Crocop as well and he seems focused and on the top of his game. The Kharitonov fight was hard to watch at the end. I don't understand why he didn't try to get out of that position at the end. I didn't want to see Overeem get beat either, but thought he would. He hasn't quite lived up to the potential I thought that he has.

What did you guys think about the Nog/Barnett decision? I've only watched it once, but it was close. I could see it going either way so I don't have a problem with the decision.

Beo,
I'm with you, it killed me to see him just absorbing all that punishment. I was trying so badly to will him to roll out of that or something, but it didn't pan out. Nog/Barnett was real close. I'd really like to see a 3-5 minute overtime round in those situations, thats obviously tough to do in tournaments. Unfortunately I think Nog's best days are behind him, but I hope I'm wrong.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Sergei looked rocked when he went down; I think that is why he couldn't mount any offense. I think that half-arsed shoot that put him on the ground was more the result of being rocked than being an actual shoot. He is definitely a tough guy to even be able to attempt a shoot when most would be on their backs, but I think he was seeing stars and unable to bounce back.

I'll definitely ask my instructor about Wandy. I hope his head is ok too. I couldn't go to class yesterday b/c of a meeting, but I should be there on Friday.

size

Awards
  • Established
Beowulf...what did you decide to starting practicing? BJJ, muay thai?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sergei looked rocked when he went down; I think that is why he couldn't mount any offense. I think that half-arsed shoot that put him on the ground was more the result of being rocked than being an actual shoot. He is definitely a tough guy to even be able to attempt a shoot when most would be on their backs, but I think he was seeing stars and unable to bounce back.

I'll definitely ask my instructor about Wandy. I hope his head is ok too. I couldn't go to class yesterday b/c of a meeting, but I should be there on Friday.
He was definitely rocked bad, but he still seemed somewhat coherant. It's as if he likes punishment. I liked how Sergei waved Aleks to bring it and without hesitation Aleks rocks him bad and then Sergei rocked as h*ll still waves him to bring it some more. Tough yes, smart no. Sergei should take a year or two off and come back refreshed.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Beowulf...what did you decide to starting practicing? BJJ, muay thai?
Both, but Muay Thai fits better with my schedule, so I end up training it more. Once I have my new school year routine down I'm gonna try to find more time for BJJ. Classes are at 10am or 8pm, and last 90-120 minutes. 10am is not an option, and 8pm is pretty late considering I wake up at 4-4:30am. The gym is awesome and the instructor is excellent. It is a bit intimidating, though, when he is demonstrating on me...he is from Chute Box :run:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Both, but Muay Thai fits better with my schedule, so I end up training it more. Once I have my new school year routine down I'm gonna try to find more time for BJJ. Classes are at 10am or 8pm, and last 90-120 minutes. 10am is not an option, and 8pm is pretty late considering I wake up at 4-4:30am. The gym is awesome and the instructor is excellent. It is a bit intimidating, though, when he is demonstrating on me...he is from Chute Box :run:
Props to you for getting off your ass and starting to train MMA. I need to do the same, hitting a bag and wrestling friends isn't the best progression. Good luck with that Hiatus Boy:twisted:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
That's "semi-hiatus boy" to you :D

I made a deal with myself: I only read the MMA forum, update products I'm testing, and read the threads I'm already subscribed to through my UserCP. Before it was easy to spend hours lost reading through here. Now I just pop in while I'm eating, unwinding, etc.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Hey Alex, you may want to hold off on too much bag work until you actually have an instructor observing you. It is really easy to pick up bad habits, and once the neuromuscular coordination is strong it may be hard to drop the bad habits. At the very least, try to use a mirror so you can get some sense of if you're dropping your hands. My leg kicks were feeling awkward as hell, but my instructor caught the issue--I was rising up a bit, detracting from the drive forward and taking force off the kick. Little mistakes add up.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Hey Alex, you may want to hold off on too much bag work until you actually have an instructor observing you. It is really easy to pick up bad habits, and once the neuromuscular coordination is strong it may be hard to drop the bad habits. At the very least, try to use a mirror so you can get some sense of if you're dropping your hands. My leg kicks were feeling awkward as hell, but my instructor caught the issue--I was rising up a bit, detracting from the drive forward and taking force off the kick. Little mistakes add up.
I appreciate the advice. I film myself on the bag occasionally, but then again it's just me evaluating it and I don't know jack technically(especially on lower body striking). I don't know if you remember Jimmy Lange from the first season of the contender? He's a few years older then me, but I grew up in the same neighborhood as him and he taught me a good bit about boxing. I really need to get with a good muay thai coach and actually learn something for a change. Maybe I need to do the basketball on the shoulder/bicep trick for keeping up my hands, because they definitely drop often and I don't like getting punched in the face!

size

Awards
  • Established
It is a bit intimidating, though, when he is demonstrating on me...he is from Chute Box :run:
It is always a bit intimidating at first, but in time you will adjust. Also in time, you will be the one intimidating.

Muay Thai is lots of fun, especially elbows and some big knees from the plum.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I appreciate the advice. I film myself on the bag occasionally, but then again it's just me evaluating it and I don't know jack technically(especially on lower body striking). I don't know if you remember Jimmy Lange from the first season of the contender? He's a few years older then me, but I grew up in the same neighborhood as him and he taught me a good bit about boxing. I really need to get with a good muay thai coach and actually learn something for a change. Maybe I need to do the basketball on the shoulder/bicep trick for keeping up my hands, because they definitely drop often and I don't like getting punched in the face!
That is what is great about sparring: you get hit in the face every time you drop your hands. Punches to the face spark a great conditioned response :D

Size, the knees are my favorite, and probably what I do best. A series of knees from the clinch is a bit like "skanking", if you're familiar with ska.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
It's funny cuz it's true. My instructor started demonstrating the motion solo, and everyone started laughing, including him. But once you try it on a person, no more laughing...I knew there had to be a more logical reason that skinheads like ska :D

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Brawl Sports: Liddell-Silva on the shelf for now

Here's what Dana had to say about CC vs. Wandy. He implies that Silva doesn't deserve a shot at Chuck after losing to CC. I don't think a heavyweight fight against the #2 guy at HW should effect the title shot and he doesn't really have the talent pool to keep chuck in interesting fights. After Tito, who is there?

Also, there's a new Wandy interview on Sherdog.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Wandy doesn't deserve a shot at Chuck, but Vernon White, Jeremy Horn, and Babalu do. What a hilarious joke, like you said Crocop is the #2 HW in the world, so Dana is basically saying if Wand isn't the best fighter in the world (minus Fedor) he doesn't deserve a shot. I guess he's scared Chuck will lose and then he'll have to use Sylvia as his posterboy. Good thinking Dana.