AAS and MMA

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Just curious, how common do you think/know AAS use to be in MMA? I know Tim Sylvia got busted on a drug test a few years ago, and Kerr admitted to use. I find it hard to believe that guys like Shamrock and Coleman aren't using, just based on their age and physiques.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Just curious, how common do you think/know anabolic steroids use to be in MMA? I know Tim Sylvia got busted on a drug test a few years ago, and Kerr admitted to use. I find it hard to believe that guys like Shamrock and Coleman aren't using, just based on their age and physiques.
Used to be? From what I've heard, steroid use is definitely prominent in UFC. Or should I say, prominent in the fighters. I also heard that because of this very reason, they only test on championship tittle matches otherwise a lot of cats would be gettin the boot. I can tell u from personal experience that in the underground or (Non-Televised) MMA events, they don't test for sh*t. :bruce1:

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Common enough. Kimo, Shamrock, Sherk, and Monson are obvious examples. I wouldnt be surprised if Hughes dabbled in them either.

The lame thing is that like the WWE, 'comic book' physiques make for good TV.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I don't think the UFC wants to test them period, but the Nevada Athletic Commission (or whatever) does it for them. In the early days of the UFC, there were some juiced up monsters from what I've seen.

Ken Shamrock appears to have some gyno. Ivan Salavary and Barnett tested positive. Vitor had admitted to it in the past too.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I don't think the UFC wants to test them period, but the Nevada Athletic Commission (or whatever) does it for them. In the early days of the UFC, there were some juiced up monsters from what I've seen.

Ken Shamrock appears to have some gyno. Ivan Salavary and Barnett tested positive. Vitor had admitted to it in the past too.
"Shamrock appears to have gyno".... I love it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Salaverry didnt test positive, it was Narquardt but they retested and it was a false positive. When Sylvia tested positive, it was not for a steroid, but for some other banned substance. Shamrock, Coleman, Kerr, and Baroni are probably the best examples of explicit gear use.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I think Baroni uses Superdrol for a multi-v. :lol:

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
AT the upper levels a bit more prevelant i believe depends on the camp you come out of also. I have fought in Hawaii and California and not been tested. here in cal if you fight on the reservations no one is testing your for sure.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
AT the upper levels a bit more prevelant i believe depends on the camp you come out of also. I have fought in Hawaii and California and not been tested. here in cal if you fight on the reservations no one is testing your for sure.
Remember.... Not everyone is from a camp. Is it really that prominent over there? Camps I mean? Does anyone fight solo?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I just saw Ultimate Knockouts on Spike, and there was a guy, I think his name was Brad Kohler, who was absolutely massive. Huge and thick throughout, with a thick midsection. Looked like a lean powerlifter. No question he was juicing.

On to the next question: Do you think AAS in MMA is ethical?

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Ethical BEO? Ethics get in the way of winning, plain and simple. Is it right to have to fight a guy whose is juicing and you are not? Definitly it is, but then you have that right, and if you can win against the juicer, then hey you are great. As I see it its just another enhancement, and enhancements makes people realize they are not equal in talent etc. And not having a level playing field is not PC in todays pussified society.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I just saw Ultimate Knockouts on Spike, and there was a guy, I think his name was Brad Kohler, who was absolutely massive. Huge and thick throughout, with a thick midsection. Looked like a lean powerlifter. No question he was juicing.

On to the next question: Do you think anabolic steroids in MMA is ethical?
I think AS usage in MMA is irrelevant. Skill plays a more important factor.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Salaverry didnt test positive, it was Narquardt but they retested and it was a false positive. When Sylvia tested positive, it was not for a steroid, but for some other banned substance. Shamrock, Coleman, Kerr, and Baroni are probably the best examples of explicit gear use.
Oops, yeah you're right. That's what I get for believing someone on sherdog.com....

Wandy's admitted to juicing in the past. I wonder what these guys take before a fight besides Xyence of course?

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think all pro-athletes juice...curlers, ping-pong, you name it.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not for a steroid? Sylvia tested postive for winstrol. How is winstrol not a steroid.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Why would an MMA fighter use winstrol? Training and fighting isn't hard enough on the joints already :wtf:

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Why would an MMA fighter use winstrol? Training and fighting isn't hard enough on the joints already :wtf:
Full Contact Fighter - Sylvia Steroid Situation - October 2003
Because its effects on the joints is blown out of proportion and Sylvia was using it in a stack. He talked about it in an interview which I can't find.

Sylvia caused alot of controversy because he tested positive TWICE for winstrol. The second time he tested positive was immediately right after his suspension about 6-7 months later before UFC47. Apparently the NSAC accepted the reason for the 2nd positive as residual traces from the 1st offense.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Full Contact Fighter - Sylvia Steroid Situation - October 2003
Because its effects on the joints is blown out of proportion and Sylvia was using it in a stack. He talked about it in an interview which I can't find.

Sylvia caused alot of controversy because he tested positive TWICE for winstrol. The second time he tested positive was immediately right after his suspension about 6-7 months later before UFC47. Apparently the NSAC accepted the reason for the 2nd positive as residual traces from the 1st offense.
Thanks for the link.

Either Tim is a complete idiot and took winny cluelessly, or he is full of it and had actually run it recently before the fight.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
On a side note I think the effects of AI's, Estro control IN addition to Winny makes nasty sides for your joints. As everytime I think about my lab rat Leon, and his joint pain he runs Adex with Winny on cuts which is a standard in a cut cycle. Those together is what I think makes your joints creak...

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the link.

Either Tim is a complete idiot and took winny cluelessly, or he is full of it and had actually run it recently before the fight.
Thanks for the good words Beo.

I can't understand why that dumb sh*t would knowingly risk runnin a cylce, before a championship title match. It had to be due to his stupidity. I can't belive what excuse he gave Rogan. Wasn't it something to the effect of, "I was just usin em to get ripped" Get ripped?... Don't you have to stop bein a fat ass first?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I just saw Shamrock vs. Kimo...both had some gyno kickin, and Shamrock's was raging.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
It is very obvious, I think a lot of hw's and lhw's juice. Mirko probably did, Randleman did/does, Coleman did/does, Ken did/does, Fujita did/does, etc. It's just like any other sport, when people stop progressing how they want to they look for something to take them to the next level because of impatience. I think in fighting this is more prevalent because of the whole one on one dominance disposition a lot of fighters have. Who wants to train their ass off and lose? AAS are easy to get for most and fairly easy to use if they just get some guidance from a coach or fellow juicer. Hell I know plenty of fighters who juice and know nothing about AAS, withdrawl times, sides, pct, anything. Sylvia's usage does not surprise me and I think it was negative because of ignorance.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well since im sure its easy for these fighters to obtain gear it really is a level playing field if you think about it. it just depends on if you are willing to do it or not.

i would rather see a bunch of juiced up monsters bashing each others faces in than 170lb non juiced regular joes. performance enhancement simply makes the fights more interesting.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
i would rather see a bunch of juiced up monsters bashing each others faces in than 170lb non juiced regular joes. performance enhancement simply makes the fights more interesting.
Your not sayin that everyone in UFC or Pride is juicin are ya?
Listen I'm not tryin to be a jerk here but could someone tell me how a guy who is juicin has the advantage over a non juicin "regular joe" with better fighting skills. Roids ain't gonna keep a guy from gettin knocked the fu*k out.

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
AAS use is rampant in MMA. Even some people you don't think are using... Are using. I'm not just talking about Pride (doesn't even test) of UFC either. In alot of these smaller shows across the country there are plenty of fighters on different anabolics. I don't really see anything wrong with it. Its not really creating an "un-level playing field". Its the intangibles that win you a fight not steroids.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
anabolic steroids use is rampant in MMA. Even some people you don't think are using... Are using. I'm not just talking about Pride (doesn't even test) of UFC either. In alot of these smaller shows across the country there are plenty of fighters on different anabolics. I don't really see anything wrong with it. Its not really creating an "un-level playing field". Its the intangibles that win you a fight not steroids.
How does that make sense? Why do competitors use steroids if it doesn't give them an advantage? Surely it does. Steroids allow fighters to train harder, longer and recover faster and help in recomp and cutting.

The only reason it wouldn't be be an unlevel playing field is if both competitors who are matched up are both using steroids.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
How does that make sense? Why do competitors use steroids if it doesn't give them an advantage? Surely it does. Steroids allow fighters to train harder, longer and recover faster and help in recomp and cutting.

The only reason it wouldn't be be an unlevel playing field is if both competitors who are matched up are both using steroids.
Not all competitors use steroids. Juic'n ain't gonna help u if you are fighting a more skilled opponent. PERIOD. In SOME cases, juicin could be an advantage, but like I've said before.... One has to first FIND an oppertunity.... in order for it to be an advantage. Roids make you stronger, not more skilled.

B4n3 0n3

So when fighting someone more skilled, how is strength gonna stop ya from gettin knocked out?
Simple, grab the guy and put him in a hold. I have gone against better wrestlers than me and if your are strong enough you can go into a defensive style and hold the guy down.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Simple, grab the guy and put him in a hold. I have gone against better wrestlers than me and if your are strong enough you can go into a defensive style and hold the guy down.
How is grabbing a guy and putting him in a hold, simple if the other fighter is more skilled? Don't u actually have to catch the guy first?

B4n3 0n3

How is grabbing a guy and putting him in a hold, simple if the other fighter is more skilled? Don't u actually have to catch the guy first?
Sure you gotta catch him but believe me strength helps alot. If strength had nothing to do with fighting then how come the fighters are muscular? Why aren't they a bunch of skinny dudes that look like marathon runners then? I understand where you are comming from to a certain extent but you gotta face reality here that strength plays a huge role in fighting.

BioHazzard

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Of course you need both skill and strength. If you are totally lacking in one or the other, then you are fvcked. The pros are not particularly lacking in either one. Steroid is just that extra edge to win.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Sure you gotta catch him but believe me strength helps alot. If strength had nothing to do with fighting then how come the fighters are muscular? Why aren't they a bunch of skinny dudes that look like marathon runners then? I understand where you are comming from to a certain extent but you gotta face reality here that strength plays a huge role in fighting.
I didn't say that strength had nothing to do with fighting. I was comparing srength to skill.

Now I'm not sayin that I can't lose a fight here cuz nobody is that talented and strength can be a definite advantage if first given the oppertunity, but I am an MMA fighter, so I HAVE faced reality. And reality is.... IF.... the other guy can't put me in a hold or can't connect because my skill level is better than his, than he's either gonna be bleed'n profusley about the mouth, or he's gonna be unconscious. Roids or not!

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not all competitors use steroids. Juic'n ain't gonna help u if you are fighting a more skilled opponent. PERIOD. In SOME cases, juicin could be an advantage, but like I've said before.... One has to first FIND an oppertunity.... in order for it to be an advantage. Roids make you stronger, not more skilled.

The issue is not whether competitors use steroids.

Opportunity?? Steroids ARE ALWAYS GOING TO HELP either way whether a competitor is skilled or not. How is being able to train harder and longer and cut more fat not helping? Extra strength is always an advantage whether someone is in a bad or good position.

Thinking about it I remember you made the odd comment that cutting weight doesn't help much which is bizzare. Cutting weight in boxing/wrestling especially in the lower weight classes is a HUGE advantage. Rich Franklin who walks at 210-215 off-season cuts all the way down to 185.

The plain and simple fact is that competitors aren't going to risk testing positive for steroids if it isn't going to help them. Size and strength is a big advantage unless someone is simply totally crap and has lousy skills.

Slated

Banned
Awards
There's so many people that think strength is sooo important. They get over here to Bangkok, at a bar, see a fight, offer to get in the ring with a 130lb Thai, and despite their decade of training in the states, get their ass handed to them. It's great fun to watch

feelingfizzy

feelingfizzy

Awards
yea brad kohler was a tank at HW.
baroni is v proportioante along with randleman

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
The issue is not whether competitors use steroids.

Opportunity?? Steroids ARE ALWAYS GOING TO HELP either way whether a competitor is skilled or not. How is being able to train harder and longer and cut more fat not helping? Extra strength is always an advantage whether someone is in a bad or good position.

Thinking about it I remember you made the odd comment that cutting weight doesn't help much which is bizzare. Cutting weight in boxing/wrestling especially in the lower weight classes is a HUGE advantage. Rich Franklin who walks at 210-215 off-season cuts all the way down to 185.

The plain and simple fact is that competitors aren't going to risk testing positive for steroids if it isn't going to help them. Size and strength is a big advantage unless someone is simply totally crap and has lousy skills.
No. The issue here is not wether or not competitors use steroids. The words "Why do you think competitors use steroids" came from your post, not mine. I simply responded.

No. The issue here is not wether steroids are gonna help someone phisically or not. That fact is pretty friggin obvious. The point that was made was that strength or size is not the determining factor in a fight. I ask you. If strength is ALWAYS an advantage in a fight, than how do u justify it being an advantage when the stronger guy is layin on the mat, knocked the fu*k out?

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
I think you guys are pretty much on the same page, in agreement that proper Steroid use + skill is enhancing, and Gear is a poor substitute for real skill and conditioning. The operative word here would be proper, in a nonethical sense.

The unfair advantage issue aside, the problem with gear in MMA, I believe, is that some of these fighters who I suspect use are doing so improperly, gaining mass for strength that makes less agile and the extra mass bad depletes stamina if done without additional compensatory cardio conditioning or else you gas from oxygen depletion and excess bodily heat. There's also the additional risk of connective tissue injury that's not developed in relation to the new muscle, it's overall better to put in on slower and surer to adjust to than suddenly and not.

I don't know what these guys are using, I would be using high dose Var and EPO with Rich Franklin's max endurance workout myself and a very strict planned diet,but I'm just a damn cheater, I guess. A smart cheater, though, better living through chemistry. :twisted:
Well put.

Damn. You seem to be doin pretty good on the rep points bro.

By the way, what camp did you say you come out of?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No. The issue here is not wether or not competitors use steroids. The words "Why do you think competitors use steroids" came from your post, not mine. I simply responded.

No. The issue here is not wether steroids are gonna help someone phisically or not. That fact is pretty friggin obvious. The point that was made was that strength or size is not the determining factor in a fight. I ask you. If strength is ALWAYS an advantage in a fight, than how do u justify it being an advantage when the stronger guy is layin on the mat, knocked the fu*k out?
Marcus is clearly saying that with all else being equal, the stronger man has an advantage. He never implied that strength was everything.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Marcus is clearly saying that with all else being equal, the stronger man has an advantage. He never implied that strength was everything.
All else ain't equal. If all fighters were equal in skill, than there would be no winners. No reason for fighting. The stronger man must first FIND an oppertunity for it to be an advantage.

And no he didn't imply that strength was everything, he just implied that strength is ALWAYS an advantage and that is bullsh*t.

B4n3 0n3

Then how do you explain when the more skilled opponent is laying on the mat knocked the fvck out?

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Well if steroids are rampant in professional sports including prizefighting, then my general statement is correct unless you disagree.

Your example is flawed since you can't always assume that the guy who knocked him out wasn't on steroids in the first place.

Bullsh!t? A crappy fighter like Kimo would benefit from anabolic steroids, someone as skilled as Fedor would also benefit from steroids since strength is a primary attribute. Strength, stamina, speed and having a good chin are all primary attributes. To say strength is not a factor doesn't make sense.

And you haven't responded why training harder, longer, having less fat and having an easier time cutting while on steroids isn't an advantage.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
Then how do you explain when the more skilled opponent is laying on the mat knocked the fvck out?

Just how did ya come to the conclusion that the guy who gets knocked uncoscious, is the more skilled opponent?

B4n3 0n3

Just how did ya come to the conclusion that the guy who gets knocked uncoscious, is the more skilled opponent?
Well lets say that everybody said so and so was a great skilled fighter with much greater skills than his opponent. And then he loses when he was supposedly the more skilled man. It's just as hypothetical as your scenario really.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm the founder of Team Dagger, on the quest for the most rep points as a stabbing leech who never goes Gold, like my boy Solomon. :twisted: Yes, Jas and Beo, that is the Spurious Psuedodevil, Alexander knows.

Team Dagger? the one with kendal from Hawaii? If so Howzit brah. I had my first pro fight out of hawaii in Warriors Quest. I'm coming out of FSA now in SSF we are under Cesar.

Back to AAS i think it's going to be alot let prevalent now due to the fact kimo got popped and he wasnt' even in a championship fight. NSAC was only testing those involved in Title fights but looks like CSAC is testing whoever it feels like