Best martial art?

CREAO

Awards
what are your opinions on this? I say brazilian jiujitsu.

darius

I love Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and would say its the best for the ground. IMO best standup is Muay Thai Kickboxing. The 2 combined are lethal.

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
The art of fighting.....without really fighting

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
female pillow fighting or perhaps female oil wrestling

CREAO

Awards
yea female pillow fighting....pretty brutal from what i hear

CREAO

Awards
if all the grand masters of every martial art were in a
cage match ..what style would come out on top? like i said before
i think brazilian jiujitsu would easily take on most of the different styles,
because once a bjj fighter gets you on the ground its done....muay thai and jeet kun do
would be pretty crazy too

size

Awards
  • Established
I think it is impossible to pick one art over all the others. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

CREAO

Awards
hapkido seems like its way to defensive....but i knew a kid who
took it and he could tear some **** up

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Vale tudo.. they did put all the martial arts masters in a cage and royce gracie beat em all :D

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Vale tudo.. they did put all the martial arts masters in a cage and royce gracie beat em all :D
Those were martial arts masters? lol Vale Tudo isn't really an art per se, so I'd side with mma. It incorporates aspects from Judo, wrestling, Muay Thai, Sambo, bjj, etc. The experience, skill and abilities of a practioner are far more important than the art in which they train. Of course the ultimate martial art is Krav Maga, just ask any practioner and they'll set you straight. :)

noctorum

Banned
Awards
I have a MMA gym near me, they teach Kali, Muay Thai, and Gracie BJJ. I'm thinking about taking up a few classes

weeenisss

Board Supporter
Awards
I would have to say tai chi chuan- dead serious, wow is all I have to say about it if the person knows what they are doing. brazilian jiujitsu is awesome for one on one competition, but it is terrible on the streets, just think of a situation with multiple attackers, tie someone up in a grappling lock and get a bar stool smashed into the back of your head...engagement is not a good thing in a steet fight

faustus

Awards
Combat Ki.

Able to withstand kicks the groin and blows to the throat and all deadly points on human body.

Real cool and deadly.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Combat Ki.

Able to withstand kicks the groin and blows to the throat and all deadly points on human body.

Real cool and deadly.
Forgive me, but :lol: I'm not signing up in a martial arts class where we take turns kickin' each others nutz! LOL.

I'd have a hard time naming one because certain ma's will work better for certain people. I.E. I can box and grapple but my legs are so inflexible I could never be a great with my legs. But, I'll give a list of things I"d like to take to give myself a well-rounded set of fighting skills.

Stand up:
---------
Western Boxing & Muay Thai mix

Grappling:
---------
Wrestling & BJJ mix

A combination of those four, IMHO, would make most people really capable fighters.

faustus

Awards
Ouch! Wonder if any Combat Ki experts r impotent?:p

Faustus

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Forgive me, but :lol: I'm not signing up in a martial arts class where we take turns kickin' each others nutz! LOL.

I'd have a hard time naming one because certain ma's will work better for certain people. I.E. I can box and grapple but my legs are so inflexible I could never be a great with my legs. But, I'll give a list of things I"d like to take to give myself a well-rounded set of fighting skills.

Stand up:
---------

Grappling:
---------
Wrestling & BJJ mix

A combination of those four, IMHO, would make most people really capable fighters.
http://tapout.association.users.btopenworld.com/ValeTudo.htm

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Stand up:
---------

Grappling:
---------
Wrestling & BJJ mix

A near perfect mix, IMO, and the integration of certain elements those pretty much defines modern MMA. Whatever you train though, needs to be trained live and with sparring, rather than just drills and patterns.

Kristopher

Kristopher

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
A near perfect mix, IMO, and the integration of certain elements those pretty much defines modern MMA. Whatever you train though, needs to be trained live and with sparring, rather than just drills and patterns.
You look at any high level MMA fighter, and those are the skills they utilize, alot of times they will be at an elite level in 1 of the 4 disciplines, but skilled in the other 3.

think yoshida, chuck lidell, fedor, crop cop, nog, bj penn

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
You look at any high level MMA fighter, and those are the skills they utilize, alot of times they will be at an elite level in 1 of the 4 disciplines, but skilled in the other 3.

think yoshida, chuck lidell, fedor, crop cop, nog, bj penn
IMO Chuck's ground game is sub-par. He's very good at keeping the fight from going to the ground, but not good at grappling.

stryder

stryder

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think it is impossible to pick one art over all the others. Each has strengths and weaknesses.
Exactly, the best style is to be without a style. The martial artist who understands both the strengths and weaknesses of the various styles but does not limit himself to one, has the best style...it's all about being fluid.

Sir Foxx

Sir Foxx

Awards
  • Established
Exactly, the best style is to be without a style. The martial artist who understands both the strengths and weaknesses of the various styles but does not limit himself to one, has the best style...it's all about being fluid.

Which is what Jeet Kun Do is all about. Be like water, formless.

size

Awards
  • Established
"Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind."

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I find it amusing about the level political correctness here.
Why is it so hard to admit that some martial arts are more suitable as a healthy physical activity and not combat effective for MMA or self-defense?

JKD? Its a principle, not a MA.
TKD? No punches to the face, no low kicks, no attacking the 'back-side'.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Stand up:
---------

Grappling:
---------
Wrestling & BJJ mix

The reality of kicking is that it's not all that great. Mixed martial arts these days is more and more starting to resemble a fusion of boxing and wrestling, with a few chokes added in. Very rarely you will see someone get caught wildly off guard with a head kick, and a lot of guys these days are countering leg kicks with "pre-emptive" punches. On the ground, submissions aren't seen very often as they tend to take a long time to set up and are easily counterd if you know what the hell is going on. The only submission which is commonly seen these days is the rear naked choke, since that's insanely hard to get out of if someone has your back. Most of the time now a days if the fight goes to the ground, one guy will try and work the guard, and wear his opponent down while the other guy tries to pass the guard, mount and ground'n'pound, until someone stands up. Elbows and knees are useful but you can't knee to the head while your opponent is down, and IIRC there are some restrictions on elbows too. It's a shame there are rules against head butts too :(

So these days, if you know how to box and wrestle, and you know how to *DEFEND* against kicks and submissions, you will do just fine.

asianid

Awards
I think we need to make a difference between MMA and self defense. There are rules in any type of competition that limit what you can do. MMA is not really no holds barred as people like to refer to it as. If I was fighting for my life I'd be biting, gouging out an eye or giving shots to the groin.
Everyone has a different reason or goal for doing martial arts or a particular style. The best martial art for one person may not be the best for another.
I remember a quote from somewhere that said "It only takes a short time to become a fighter but a lifetime to become a martial artist"

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
The reality of kicking is that it's not all that great. Mixed martial arts these days is more and more starting to resemble a fusion of boxing and wrestling, with a few chokes added in. Very rarely you will see someone get caught wildly off guard with a head kick, and a lot of guys these days are countering leg kicks with "pre-emptive" punches. On the ground, submissions aren't seen very often as they tend to take a long time to set up and are easily counterd if you know what the hell is going on. The only submission which is commonly seen these days is the rear naked choke, since that's insanely hard to get out of if someone has your back. Most of the time now a days if the fight goes to the ground, one guy will try and work the guard, and wear his opponent down while the other guy tries to pass the guard, mount and ground'n'pound, until someone stands up. Elbows and knees are useful but you can't knee to the head while your opponent is down, and IIRC there are some restrictions on elbows too. It's a shame there are rules against head butts too :(

So these days, if you know how to box and wrestle, and you know how to *DEFEND* against kicks and submissions, you will do just fine.
very true, but most people in a street fight do not expect the thai kick to the inner and outter thigh muscle and how quickly it will put a halt to all other hostilities. ;)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Kajukenbo = blend of Karate, Jujutsu, Kenpo and Chinese Boxing (Kung Fu).
Very effective in the streets. I do use kicks but they are generally below the waist, knees, shins, groing, thighs, etc. Many of my submission moves are joint locks and arm bars which I use to control an attacker and even use him to create a barrier between other attackers. (staying on my feet)

That being said, I agree that what is best for one is not best for all.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think we need to make a difference between MMA and self defense. There are rules in any type of competition that limit what you can do. MMA is not really no holds barred as people like to refer to it as. If I was fighting for my life I'd be biting, gouging out an eye or giving shots to the groin.
Everyone has a different reason or goal for doing martial arts or a particular style. The best martial art for one person may not be the best for another.
I remember a quote from somewhere that said "It only takes a short time to become a fighter but a lifetime to become a martial artist"

MMA is a much better base for self-defense than a traditional MA. Eg. A boxer has a much better delivery system for such techniques. Traditional MA were rudely exposed when MMA came on the scene.

The lifetime saying probably originated from the need to retain paying students for the triple boat loans and holidays.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
If I had to pick just one, I'd say sambo/judo. Great groundwork like BJJ, but they can control where the fight goes better(takedowns/throws).

Mars

Awards
It’s not the style that is the most important, it is how effectively the practitioner applies that style to a combat situation.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Then how come nobody wins fights with capoeira or tai chi?

nodgodbod

Awards
To become the ultimate martial artist - i reckon you need to train for a while boxing (for hand work) and muay thai for standup phase - then judo to take the opponent down from the clinch and then some BJJ on the ground to submit him.
If I had to pick just one martial art for just self defense I would choose Krav Maga - its like they took the nastiest, dirtiest and most simple and effective techniques from all martila arts and combined them into a "style".

Mars

Awards
Then how come nobody wins fights with capoeira or tai chi?
Because like many styles out their they have been watered down for one reason or another to a flashy little number to get the most paying customer through the door as possible. This is not true martial arts.

Mas Oyama could apply his art to a combat situation almost effortlessly

http://www.uskyokushin.com/sosai.htm