MayWeather or McGregor

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think McGregor will win this fight by a knockout. What do you Ladies and Gentlemen think?

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
mayweather KO in the 5th.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
still can't believe people thought Conor had a chance...I just wish the ref didn't hop in so Floyd could put McG down for good

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
It takes years not months to master a discipline and then you're still taking on the best in the world at that discipline. I was pretty impressed to see him make it to the 10th round tbh.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
he made it to the 10th because Floyd let him...don't believe the hype.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He's 40 fighting a 29 year old... He played it wisely. He lost the first few rounds while figuring Connors style. The middle rounds he began to work the body and wear him down. Set Connor up for fatigue and the tko in the 10. I don't believe he "let him" do anything. He fought in a way to make sure he won and in the fashion he predicted, that he would stop him. He executed his plan

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I was thinking with my Heart , and not My Wallet. Lol!

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was thinking with my Heart , and not My Wallet. Lol!
Lol it's ok man, a lot of people got caught up haha. I will say Connor is pretty smart as this has set him up to do so much outside of just mma, plus he just made a pile of cash.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
He's 40 fighting a 29 year old... He played it wisely. He lost the first few rounds while figuring Connors style. The middle rounds he began to work the body and wear him down. Set Connor up for fatigue and the tko in the 10. I don't believe he "let him" do anything. He fought in a way to make sure he won and in the fashion he predicted, that he would stop him. He executed his plan
you can't play wait and figure out an opponent's style without "letting them" extend the fight...

I give Conor the 1st, and that's it...people claim he won rd's 2 and 3, yet only landed 7 more total shots while throwing 59 more attempts...more activity doesn't mean you win a rd if your landed percentage is only 21 and your opponents is 46...2 of the 3 judges felt this exact same way.

can't say it wasn't entertaining, but not once did Conor do anything to warrant Floyd's attention.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I don't believe Mayweather "let him" make the tenth round. He stuck to the game plan with the best possible outcome.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
I don't believe Mayweather "let him" make the tenth round. He stuck to the game plan with the best possible outcome.
a gameplan literally based upon reading an opponent for the first couple rds, which by definition gives that said opponent an extended period in the ring...Floyd threw 6 total shots in the 1st, 10 in the 2nd and 12 in the 3rd, lol...I think I broke a bigger sweat typing this out than Floyd did the entire fight.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
What was the alternative then? I'm not sure Mayweather could have knocked out a fired up and fresh Mcgregor in the early rounds. We'll never know.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
I'm not saying a Mike Tyson type of K.O. would have happened, just stating the obvious. The fight played out like the novel it was written off of, and you and I both expected it.
No one forced Conor to throw and tire out as quickly as he did. He could've just as easily conserved his energy.
He just wasn't landing anything that flirted with dangerous in the mind of Floyd, and rightfully so.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This. What it looked like is that McGregor just didn't have enough endurance to last through the later rounds. He didn't really have the power to knock Mayweather out either though, so Mayweather's plan worked. I really don't think Mayweather could have ended the right with a KO in the first few rounds, not without risking getting knocked down himself. We didn't really see McGregor start struggling until he was visibly tired and winded, and it didn't appear to be from the hits he was taking, but just from the length of the fight. Even then, he showed he can take a few punches and not fall. Mayweather was clearly the better boxer, and I do think he had a plan for the fight, but I also think McGregor had a respectable showing, and that Mayweather may have underestimated him going into the fight.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not saying a Mike Tyson type of K.O. would have happened, just stating the obvious. The fight played out like the novel it was written off of, and you and I both expected it.
No one forced Conor to throw and tire out as quickly as he did. He could've just as easily conserved his energy.
He just wasn't landing anything that flirted with dangerous in the mind of Floyd, and rightfully so.
Yeah, like I said, in retrospect, I don't think either of them have the power for an early round KO unless someone gets lucky. McGregor just didn't have the endurance to last to the later rounds, and Mayweather likely expected and counted on this. Mayweather was clearly defensive and feeling things out to start, but I don't think he really "allowed" the fight to drag out, but rather his strategy was such that he could take advantage of a very tired McGregor.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This. What it looked like is that McGregor just didn't have enough endurance to last through the later rounds. He didn't really have the power to knock Mayweather out either though, so Mayweather's plan worked. I really don't think Mayweather could have ended the right with a KO in the first few rounds, not without risking getting knocked down himself. We didn't really see McGregor start struggling until he was visibly tired and winded, and it didn't appear to be from the hits he was taking, but just from the length of the fight. Even then, he showed he can take a few punches and not fall. Mayweather was clearly the better boxer, and I do think he had a plan for the fight, but I also think McGregor had a respectable showing, and that Mayweather may have underestimated him going into the fight.
I agree
The body punches.... People don't realize how much stamina this takes out of a fighter. The middle rounds Floyd started to land these

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Yea, sorry..can't buy it...Floyd worked this fight like a bank heist...anyone actually willing to believe Conor stood a chance to begin with or that his overall showing wasn't a product of Floyd giving the fans exactly what they wanted to see, aren't willing to see what was right in front of their face.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea, sorry..can't buy it...Floyd worked this fight like a bank heist...anyone actually willing to believe Conor stood a chance to begin with or that his overall showing wasn't a product of Floyd giving the fans exactly what they wanted to see, aren't willing to see what was right in front of their face.
I didn't say that McGregor actually had a legitimate chance to win, only that I don't think Mayweather could really have knocked him out in the first few rounds even if he wanted to, at least not without risking getting knocked down himself. Mayweather had a solid plan he executed well, but I still believe that this plan was intended primarily to give him the best chance of winning, not primarily to "give the fans what they wanted to see." Mayweather is clearly the better boxer, but neither man had the ability to really knock each other out early on. Mayweather was smart to wait for McGregor to tire out and then take advantage of it.

muree

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
this.. the whole fight including the build up was setup in such a way that it will be a win-win for everyone. floyd gets his 50-0 plus a few hundred million more, mcgregor gets to yap that he went 10rds with the greatest and potentially setting himself up for a rematch (or) other fights with other boxers (khan, malignaggi... heck even shane mosley) / mma trilogy with Nate Diaz.. boxing gets its day of new audience from mma and Dana white/ufc get their mega share for promoting it.

muree

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
UFC and TMT basically stole the storyline from Rocky 1 ..lol

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol your right bro, I actually think they got together beforehand and planned it out like a wrestling match ?

He always gives the fans what they want to see, that's why he got paid 100mil. That's how he fights lol

muree

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
sarcasm aside.. anything can happen when there is big money to be made

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Lol your right bro, I actually think they got together beforehand and planned it out like a wrestling match ��

He always gives the fans what they want to see, that's why he got paid 100mil. That's how he fights lol

you can't compare this to his other fights...Conor will never be competition inside the ring for Floyd...not 20 years ago, and not last night at 11 years younger....the simple fact that the first thing he said to Conor after the fight was, "We rich", should be an easy indicator on how serious Floyd took the fight...

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you can't compare this to his other fights...Conor will never be competition inside the ring for Floyd...not 20 years ago, and not last night at 11 years younger....the simple fact that the first thing he said to Conor after the fight was, "We rich", should be an easy indicator on how serious Floyd took the fight...
I never said he was competition lol just that Mayweather executed his plan. I had mayweather to tko him earlier like 5 or 6. I think w 8oz gloves mayweather knew to stay clear of Connors possible knockout power until it was safe. Once he was tired he went in. Just imagine if with 1 punch old Floyd is 49-1 and loss to a UFC fighter. He hadn't fought for 2 years and is 40 lol. Floyd fought a smart safe fight and delivered just what he said he would which was stopping him. I mean c'mon bro, its not like Connor can't throw a punch, your acting as if he had no experience fighting because he's not a boxer.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
I never said he was competition lol just that Mayweather executed his plan. I had mayweather to tko him earlier like 5 or 6. I think w 8oz gloves mayweather knew to stay clear of Connors possible knockout power until it was safe. Once he was tired he went in. Just imagine if with 1 punch old Floyd is 49-1 and loss to a UFC fighter. He hadn't fought for 2 years and is 40 lol. Floyd fought a smart safe fight and delivered just what he said he would which was stopping him. I mean c'mon bro, its not like Connor can't throw a punch, your acting as if he had no experience fighting because he's not a boxer.

the only argument I've made is the fact that Conor had no chance, not then, not now....that's it...and that Floyd literally went sleep walk mode in the 1st 3 rds, and still won them on 2/3 judges cards...Floyd never had to prepare for this fight...never needed a gameplan...the inevitable was gonna happen regardless...Conor would tire, and Floyd would K.O....the fact Floyd allowed Conor to even give a hint of chance was Floyd's own doing, and reason why he has continued repeating before and after the fight that he would make sure the fans were entertained...real simple concept.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the only argument I've made is the fact that Conor had no chance, not then, not now....that's it...and that Floyd literally went sleep walk mode in the 1st 3 rds, and still won them on 2/3 judges cards...Floyd never had to prepare for this fight...never needed a gameplan...the inevitable was gonna happen regardless...Conor would tire, and Floyd would K.O....the fact Floyd allowed Conor to even give a hint of chance was Floyd's own doing, and reason why he has continued repeating before and after the fight that he would make sure the fans were entertained...real simple concept.
Ok yeah he didn't train, he didn't prepare he just went in there and did a show for everybody lol

I think you've watched the Great White Hype too many times w Damon wayans

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Ok yeah he didn't train, he didn't prepare he just went in there and did a show for everybody lol
What the hell are you talking about? I said he did not need to prepare for Conor, not that he never did.

hanslifts

Awards
Sleep mode? You're crazy dude. He wasn't in sleep mode, and it was obvious he'd never been harassed so much before. He was getting a little scared/pissed. I don't know why you're taking such a ridiculous stance because it very much was a decent fight for the first couple of rounds.

muree

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Godstrength.. am a mma practitioner and I've boxed with a few amateurs. The movement and fluidity is way different between the 2 sports. And yes its true that anyone can knock out anybody with 1 punch but guess what if floyd can dodge pacquiao just 2 yrs ago (who in my opinion has way more power in his punches than McG) then he can certainly dodge/absorb McG punches. Everybody keeps throwing the "40yr old" line but again if floyd can beat manny pacquiao at 38 then he very well can beat a 0-0 boxer even at 40. The story of floyd took him to the deep waters is another load of BS because mma endurance is way tougher than boxing endurance.. dont believe me?? for 5 mins just try hopping and throwing a few punches every now and then for the same 5 mins throw some punches, hop, kicks, bodyslam, sprawls/burpees..etc you'll get your answer.

anyways not trying to pick an argument with you here as thats exactly what these 2 guys capitalized on..:) the normal public is going to be torn between what if's and why not's.. and that results in finding out (pay per view) = $$$$

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you think that Mayweather's primary concern was "making sure the fans were entertained" and not "doing whatever would give him the absolute best chance of winning," I don't even see a point in continuing this conversation. Have you not considered that Mayweather was hyping up the fight by saying that? It's supposedly his last fight; he's retired (again), 50-0, undefeated, and got another huge paycheck. Honestly, why would he care about "pleasing the fans" at this point? A loss here would have been a major defeat for him, his undefeated record, and his legacy; surely that was more important to him than "pleasing the fans." He wanted to win, period, and his strategy was what he felt gave him the best chance of winning, period. This plan just happened to allow for a longer fight; Mayweather didn't "take it easy on McGregor" in the early rounds, he felt him out and let him tire himself out. I do not think that Mayweather could have safely knocked McGregor out in the first few rounds even if he wanted to. Waiting was the smart thing to do, which is why he did it, NOT to "please the fans." If he can claim that's why he did it, then all the better for him though. Again, it's smart.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Godstrength.. am a mma practitioner and I've boxed with a few amateurs. The movement and fluidity is way different between the 2 sports. And yes its true that anyone can knock out anybody with 1 punch but guess what if floyd can dodge pacquiao just 2 yrs ago (who in my opinion has way more power in his punches than McG) then he can certainly dodge/absorb McG punches. Everybody keeps throwing the "40yr old" line but again if floyd can beat manny pacquiao at 38 then he very well can beat a 0-0 boxer even at 40. The story of floyd took him to the deep waters is another load of BS because mma endurance is way tougher than boxing endurance.. dont believe me?? for 5 mins just try hopping and throwing a few punches every now and then for the same 5 mins throw some punches, hop, kicks, bodyslam, sprawls/burpees..etc you'll get your answer.

anyways not trying to pick an argument with you here as thats exactly what these 2 guys capitalized on..:) the normal public is going to be torn between what if's and why not's.. and that results in finding out (pay per view) = $$$$
You mean to tell me that McGregor wasn't tired/exhausted after several rounds? He was visibly tired, and Mayweather capitalized on it. He punched himself tired. He's just not used to boxing into later rounds, it's not purely "cardio," but the amount of punches he's thrown; boxing is just different than MMA. I honestly don't think think that either of them could have reasonably knocked the other out in the first few rounds. Mayweather was smart not to try though, and was clearly the better boxer.

muree

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree with everything you said and we dont have to waste our time online. lets move on.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
If you think that Mayweather's primary concern was "making sure the fans were entertained" and not "doing whatever would give him the absolute best chance of winning," I don't even see a point in continuing this conversation. Have you not considered that Mayweather was hyping up the fight by saying that? It's supposedly his last fight; he's retired (again), 50-0, undefeated, and got another huge paycheck. Honestly, why would he care about "pleasing the fans" at this point? A loss here would have been a major defeat for him, his undefeated record, and his legacy; surely that was more important to him than "pleasing the fans." He wanted to win, period, and his strategy was what he felt gave him the best chance of winning, period. This plan just happened to allow for a longer fight; Mayweather didn't "take it easy on McGregor" in the early rounds, he felt him out and let him tire himself out. I do not think that Mayweather could have safely knocked McGregor out in the first few rounds even if he wanted to. Waiting was the smart thing to do, which is why he did it, NOT to "please the fans." If he can claim that's why he did it, then all the better for him though. Again, it's smart.
The entire reason for the fight was fan entertainment...the fake hype and trash talk before should have made it fairly obvious...
This plan you speak of wasn't put into play specifically for Conor...It's literally Floyd's M.O....he's just used to fighting much better fighters that tire much later on...

not sure what you don't understand, Conor didn't stand a chance and Floyd toyed with him...that has literally been my only argument...

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Sleep mode? You're crazy dude. He wasn't in sleep mode, and it was obvious he'd never been harassed so much before. He was getting a little scared/pissed. I don't know why you're taking such a ridiculous stance because it very much was a decent fight for the first couple of rounds.
Decent fight? Floyd threw 6, 10, and 12 TOTAL ATTEMPTS through the first 3 rds respectively..literally defines sleep mode...and 2/3 judges still gave Floyd rds 2 and 3 for the simple fact Conor still only landed 7 more punches while attempting almost 60 more shots.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The entire reason for the fight was fan entertainment...the fake hype and trash talk before should have made it fairly obvious...
This plan you speak of wasn't put into play specifically for Conor...It's literally Floyd's M.O....he's just used to fighting much better fighters that tire much later on...

not sure what you don't understand, Conor didn't stand a chance and Floyd toyed with him...that has literally been my only argument...
The entire reason Mayweather fought was for the money; and when the fight started, his primary goal was 50-0, not "giving the fans their money's worth or what they wanted to see." I didn't say that McGregor stood a chance, but how is being defensive and waiting for him to tire himself out "toying with him?" I don't see what you don't understand. Floyd didn't employ his strategy to "entertain the fans," he used it because he felt it was the best strategy to win. That just happened to mean a longer, more entertaining fight.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
You keep insisting it was a strategy employed to win, when it was literally the script written in stone prior to the fight, not because it was some genius gameplan, but literally because no one on planet Earth can Outlast Floyd's stamina, even at 40 yrs old...if you think Floyd didn't toy with Conor and extend the fight, you have never watched him fight when his opponent actually provided reason for him to play it safe.
The matchup was a joke...50-0 was never in doubt...Floyd now becomes only the 3rd athlete to claim a billion career earnigs.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You keep insisting it was a strategy employed to win, when it was literally the script written in stone prior to the fight, not because it was some genius gameplan, but literally because no one on planet Earth can Outlast Floyd's stamina, even at 40 yrs old...if you think Floyd didn't toy with Conor and extend the fight, you have never watched him fight when his opponent actually provided reason for him to play it safe.
The matchup was a joke...50-0 was never in doubt...Floyd now becomes only the 3rd athlete to claim a billion career earnigs.
So you think Floyd could have KOd him earlier without any risk? It wasn't a "genius" gameplay, it was the obvious strategy. It was easier/safer for Floyd to wait for McGregor to get tired before going for the KO. That's not "toying with him," its smart, safe fighting, which is what Mayweather is all about. How was Floyd not playing it safe? Could he have ended the fight a round or two earlier? Maybe, but it wasn't the smartest/safest strategy, especially when he could tell Conor would be gassed soon anyway. Why not wait until that opening? Why take any level of unnecessary risk for 50-0? The outcome was pretty much a sure thing, but that doesn't mean that Mayweather would take even the least unnecessary risk. He's a safe, defensive boxer, and a damn good one. Why deviate for 50?

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
how do you define "toying with an opponent"? When you can literally dictate the outcome of a fight without any deviation or absence from your comfort zone, that's literally "toying with an opponent".
The fact Floyd continued to press foward, something he never does, so often in this fight shows how much he did not respect anything Conor could have done.
The fight itself was the safest bet for 50-0, not the "strategy" used.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
how do you define "toying with an opponent"? When you can literally dictate the outcome of a fight without any deviation or absence from your comfort zone, that's literally "toying with an opponent".
The fact Floyd continued to press foward, something he never does, so often in this fight shows how much he did not respect anything Conor could have done.
The fight itself was the safest bet for 50-0, not the "strategy" used.
Fair enough, I'd say that doing something completely unnecessary and/or ill-advised (against a worthy opponent) would be "toying" with an opponent. Sticking in your comfort zone isn't toying with your opponent, it's just being better than them. By that logic if his gameplan/comfort zone was going all out in the first round for a KO, and succeeded, he toyed with his opponent? How? I can see you saying that pushing forwards could be a low-grade form of toying with him though.

Either way, I think we can at least agree Mayweather was the better boxer. The rest is almost just semantics.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Fair enough, I'd say that doing something completely unnecessary and/or ill-advised (against a worthy opponent) would be "toying" with an opponent. Sticking in your comfort zone isn't toying with your opponent, it's just being better than them. By that logic if his gameplan/comfort zone was going all out in the first round for a KO, and succeeded, he toyed with his opponent? How? I can see you saying that pushing forwards could be a low-grade form of toying with him though.

Either way, I think we can at least agree Mayweather was the better boxer. The rest is almost just semantics.
There is also a difference in fighting to try and stay in your comfort zone and/or retreating back into your comfort zone when forced out. Swinging for the fences or banking on an early knockout is not in itself a comfort zone, as much as it is a deficiency as a fighter as far as boxing is concerned.
Pure strikers wear down fighters by utilizing volume, a method rarely yielding success and in the rare instances that it does, still does not last for much of a significant amount of time career wise by percentage of fighters using it unless your name is Tyson, Pac, etc.
Floyd is not only the best defensive fighter of all time, but one of the best strikers all time as well from a numbers standpoint, as broken down by CompuBox.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Pacquio was even older and his shoulder was jacked.... But I hear what your saying, and I know Floyd still had his defense. A boxers speed and mobility is the first to go w age. Power is the last thing to leave a fighter. So I never thought McGregor would beat him. I knew full well he would lose. I'm just saying he did it how he did it. He didn't drag into 10 rds.

My bad pacquio is actually 2 years younger.