Jose Aldo pulls out of fight with McGregor

D3platinum

D3platinum

Awards
Now that aldo pulled out, it'd be in his best interest for Mcgregor to win that one. I was really hyped up for the fight, do think the replacement will be entertaining still though.

Your thoughts?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well it goes without say that McGregor has to win that fight. It sucks that Aldo is out and the hype surrounding it won't be the same, but it gives a chance for McGregor to put his money where his mouth is since he has essentially challenged anyone that could be a contender and even those who aren't.

D3platinum

D3platinum

Awards
dude also hasnt been riding the hype train any stronger than he could, kept taking shots at aldo too

“When you look into a man’s eyes, when you look him dead in the eyes, you can see straight into his soul. No one else even watching can see it,” McGregor said. “It’s only between you and him. I looked into his eyes, and I knew: This motherf--ker doesn’t want to be here. He doesn’t want it the way I want it. So that was that.”
and then he also said the medical report gave Aldo the green light. time to keep that firestorm going but it's also a huge opportunity for Chad Mendes

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the McGregor schtick but Mendes and/or Edgar are a huge matchup issue for him. He is eerily similar to Chael in his ability to talk his way into a title fight. I do t think he beats Mendes personally, but if he does, it will be an endless windbag

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep, agree on all that. I thought he was hilarious at first, then he just became annoying. A win will be gas to the fire.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yep, agree on all that. I thought he was hilarious at first, then he just became annoying. A win will be gas to the fire.
He was amusing at first, but he just doesn't have the record to back up his mouth.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I like the McGregor schtick but Mendes and/or Edgar are a huge matchup issue for him. He is eerily similar to Chael in his ability to talk his way into a title fight. I do t think he beats Mendes personally, but if he does, it will be an endless windbag
If mcgregor is a top tier fighter then there are no "huge " matchup issues here. Mcgregors take down defense just needs to be stepped up. If he can do that mcgregor shouldnt have a issue with putting in a good fight.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Also have no issue with how he talks up a fight, just shows his intelligence.

D3platinum

D3platinum

Awards
Also have no issue with how he talks up a fight, just shows his intelligence.

he came out of a poverty situation, had fights with his father. He mentioned he lost those fights until he started training MMA, so he's a fighter in every sense of the word. Any guy who came up out of an abusive situation like that would be a talker-this is his big money making fight which he's worked so hard for, so I dont care as this is the nature of the business.

As for the way he fights, agree that his takedown defense is not as good.

the rest of the card is gonna be solid though.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If mcgregor is a top tier fighter then there are no "huge " matchup issues here. Mcgregors take down defense just needs to be stepped up. If he can do that mcgregor shouldnt have a issue with putting in a good fight.
I dont disagree he should put in a good fight. I just think his TDD could be an issue and Mendes is too 2-3 at 145 in MMA wrestling

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Well mcgregor won , but Mendes definitely took it to him and was dominating him for most of the fight. Mendes said he went for a submission and lost from there. 2 weeks he had , I think he did well, mcgregor needs to work on that Tdd, problem is seems part of what makes that work isn't teachable.