Conor McGregor

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No... No he cannot. Aldo's striking is on another level. His leg kicks put Uriah Faber on bed rest for weeks after their fight and he is a legitimate blackbelt in BJJ. McGregor has been submitted twice by lesser opponents.

Personally I think Chad Mendez would destroy McGregor

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No... No he cannot. Aldo's striking is on another level. His leg kicks put Uriah Faber on bed rest for weeks after their fight and he is a legitimate blackbelt in BJJ. McGregor has been submitted twice by lesser opponents.

Personally I think Chad Mendez would destroy McGregor
Chad Mendez got to beat Ricardo Lamas first which he probably will.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's pretty obvious that the UFC was trying to build this fight for a while now. They've had the tendency to feed their European rising stars sub par opponents to build a fan base on that side of the world. They did the same with Bisping. I'm not saying McGregor isn't a great fighter but I am saying the UFC hasn't given him too many tough featherweights

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The dude is something else and has a style unlike any I've seen. I don't think he ever got his heart rate up he fights so calm. The Aldo fight will be fun.

islandiron

islandiron

Awards
He wont be truly legit till he beats Aldo,, its gunna be interesting fer sure.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I hate him but I think he may beat Aldo, good thing is Edgar will crush him, no questions about it

islandiron

islandiron

Awards
I hate him but I think he may beat Aldo, good thing is Edgar will crush him, no questions about it
Edgars a punching bag with a huge heart, that would be a good tilt, but no way Frankies crushin him. Hes had alot of concussions ( Maynard) and I dont think hes the fighter he was year and half ago.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Edgars a punching bag with a huge heart, that would be a good tilt, but no way Frankies crushin him. Hes had alot of concussions ( Maynard) and I dont think hes the fighter he was year and half ago.
not sure if you watch the ufc dude but 2014/2015 frankie is by FAR the best edgar. You should go watch the edgar/swanson fight

I will happily give you 3/1 odds on any amount of $$ that frankie crushes mc gregor

There is a reason the UFC cash cow hasn't fought a wrestler in his entire career

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
By this logic, Aldo is the only legit fighter at FW. You don't have to be a champion to be legit.
Hes had a rather easy road to a title shot wouldnt you say.

Compare mc gregors run to rory mc donald, he had to go 9-0 in his current run fighting absolute killers. Its a bit of a joke

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hes had a rather easy road to a title shot wouldnt you say. Compare mc gregors run to rory mc donald, he had to go 9-0 in his current run fighting absolute killers. Its a bit of a joke
You can't compare depth between FW and WW. As a whole, FW hasn't been very prominent in the US for nearly as long as WW. When you look at Rory's wins, the only really impressive victories are against Woodley and Tarec. I thought the stoppage against Condit was BS and that would've completely changed the WW picture had Rory been able to survive 15 more seconds. Conor is actually on a longer winning streak than Rory of 5 and 3, respectively.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
You can't compare depth between FW and WW. As a whole, FW hasn't been very prominent in the US for nearly as long as WW. When you look at Rory's wins, the only really impressive victories are against Woodley and Tarec. I thought the stoppage against Condit was BS and that would've completely changed the WW picture had Rory been able to survive 15 more seconds. Conor is actually on a longer winning streak than Rory of 5 and 3, respectively.
So, how does he not face Lamas, Mendes, Edgar, Swanson, Bermudez but has a title shot.

He hasnt fought a single top 5, only one top 10, but has a title shot, its embarrasing and proves rankings mean nothing

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, how does he not face Lamas, Mendes, Edgar, Swanson, Bermudez but has a title shot. He hasnt fought a single top 5, only one top 10, but has a title shot, its embarrasing and proves rankings mean nothing
Ranking have never meant anything. Cub and Dennis just lost recently. They not only lost but were finished and soundly defeated. You need fresh contenders and throwing him to Lamas, Mendes, or Frankie jeopardizes that. Plus, it's an entertainment business. Bitch all you want about how he got the shot, but you'll be watching.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
He got given the shot over Edgar, when edgar defeated swanson, ill say no more.

Ofc ill be watching, praying he gets taught a lesson, but regardless, this or next fight itll happen

I personally think Edgar > Aldo in the first fight, thought it was a poor decision

islandiron

islandiron

Awards
not sure if you watch the ufc dude but 2014/2015 frankie is by FAR the best edgar. You should go watch the edgar/swanson fight

I will happily give you 3/1 odds on any amount of $$ that frankie crushes mc gregor

There is a reason the UFC cash cow hasn't fought a wrestler in his entire career
What u mean dont know if I watch UFC? Maybe not as much as you Josh, I just watched the some of the Cub fight and yes, Frankie can still bang. I stand corrected. I agree with the wrestler comment as well. Cant bet ya cuz I live to far away.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
What u mean dont know if I watch UFC? Maybe not as much as you Josh, I just watched the some of the Cub fight and yes, Frankie can still bang. I stand corrected. I agree with the wrestler comment as well. Cant bet ya cuz I live to far away.
I just think Edgar will overwhelm mc Gregor

Mc Gregor is legit, I'm probably picking him over aldo , I just don't think he should of got to aldo in the first place , that's all.

2015 is an awesome year of mma!

islandiron

islandiron

Awards
I just think Edgar will overwhelm mc Gregor

Mc Gregor is legit, I'm probably picking him over aldo , I just don't think he should of got to aldo in the first place , that's all.

2015 is an awesome year of mma!
Im glad Mir pounded Bigfoot.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He got given the shot over Edgar, when edgar defeated swanson, ill say no more. Ofc ill be watching, praying he gets taught a lesson, but regardless, this or next fight itll happen I personally think Edgar > Aldo in the first fight, thought it was a poor decision
How well did the first Aldo/Edgar fight do on PPV?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll be watching for sure. I love McGregor's intelligence and swagger in interviews and his fighting style.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
How well did the first Aldo/Edgar fight do on PPV?
Why don't you just watch LHW/MW/WW As you're clearly about the ppv draws bro.

Came you name an organization apart from UFC? Why do they even call it mma , they should call it UFC right? ;)

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why don't you just watch LHW/MW/WW As you're clearly about the ppv draws bro. Came you name an organization apart from UFC? Why do they even call it mma , they should call it UFC right? ;)
I'm pretty sure Rodja used to fight... Just throwing that out there

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is the online version of why you never go to a bar for a UFC fight.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Why don't you just watch LHW/MW/WW As you're clearly about the ppv draws bro. Came you name an organization apart from UFC? Why do they even call it mma , they should call it UFC right? ;)

Think you missed the point , it's not him that is worried about the ppv draws. You got to pay the bills, guy like McGregor draws, it benefits everybody , Edgar, Aldo, Dana, zuffa.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Think you missed the point , it's not him that is worried about the ppv draws. You got to pay the bills, guy like McGregor draws, it benefits everybody , Edgar, Aldo, Dana, zuffa.
I was only joking man :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is why new MMA fans get on my damn nerves especially ones that have never laced up a pair of 16oz gloves much less a 4oz glove. So little background into the sport and the business side of the sport. Size has little to do with the ability to draw when it comes to combat sports. It has to do with dominance and marketability. BJ was a huge draw because he was dominating LW like never before and had the charisma to draw in the fans.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
This is why new MMA fans get on my damn nerves especially ones that have never laced up a pair of 16oz gloves much less a 4oz glove. So little background into the sport and the business side of the sport. Size has little to do with the ability to draw when it comes to combat sports. It has to do with dominance and marketability. BJ was a huge draw because he was dominating LW like never before and had the charisma to draw in the fans.
Not true completely ; bigger guys get draws for being bigger, as fans like to see brawls and blood. Lighter weights are much more technical and the average fan cries every time to fight goes to the Matt.

Cain is one of the most AWFUL champions ever. Does no publicity , has no personality and yet still gets ppv draws.

Then you get someone Dominick cruz who is easily one of the best fighters on the planet, and gets minimal draw despite having a decent personality ; talks trash etc

Average fans want to see big knockouts , nothing more, and that's why they are more likely to tune into heavier weights

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No need to have actual fighting experience to be a fan and knowledge of the business side has nothing to do with it. I've been fighting for 12 years and probably less of a fan than a lot of the people being exposed now, so the new fans probably know more about stats and other BS. Hell, I still have ticket stubs for the very first UFC fights here in Denver when you couldn't tell if the event was in the arena or on the street there was so much fighting going on. :)

In any case, McGregor is on my nerves now. The behavior is way over the top and to think that this has to go on for months is ridiculous, but he has to keep it up now. Probably wishes he didn't blow his load at the beginning of the promotion tour.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not true completely ; bigger guys get draws for being bigger, as fans like to see brawls and blood. Lighter weights are much more technical and the average fan cries every time to fight goes to the Matt. Cain is one of the most AWFUL champions ever. Does no publicity , has no personality and yet still gets ppv draws. Then you get someone Dominick cruz who is easily one of the best fighters on the planet, and gets minimal draw despite having a decent personality ; talks trash etc Average fans want to see big knockouts , nothing more, and that's why they are more likely to tune into heavier weights
You should check the numbers. Cain doesn't draw worth a damn. The only time he's been the headliner with decent PPV numbers was when he fought Lesnar, who was and will likely always be the biggest draw ever in MMA. Cruz doesn't finish and that's why he wasn't a draw; he's finished only one of his fights under the Zuffa umbrella and that was his latest fight against Mizugaki (Bowles didn't answer the bell due to a broken hand). Seriously, the data is easy to find and you should check it before posting.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
You should check the numbers. Cain doesn't draw worth a damn. The only time he's been the headliner with decent PPV numbers was when he fought Lesnar, who was and will likely always be the biggest draw ever in MMA. Cruz doesn't finish and that's why he wasn't a draw; he's finished only one of his fights under the Zuffa umbrella and that was his latest fight against Mizugaki (Bowles didn't answer the bell due to a broken hand). Seriously, the data is easy to find and you should check it before posting.
He doesn't get ppv because he doesn't finish yet gsp is one of the highest ppv draws . Derp.

I've been an mma fan since pride , plz refrain from tying me in with cretins that have no clue re mma & take your condescending attitude with you ; it isn't becoming

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He doesn't get ppv because he doesn't finish yet gsp is one of the highest ppv draws . Derp. I've been an mma fan since pride , plz refrain from tying me in with cretins that have no clue re mma & take your condescending attitude with you ; it isn't becoming
Because GSP has never finished a title fight, right? How many PPVs has Cruz headlined again? Oh yeah....one and that was against Urijah, who is still box office despite losing every title fight since 2008. Even that card had other huge draws like Wanderlei and Tito. Let's not forget you're the one that acted like the elitist on MMA knowledge. I've been following the sport for more than a decade. ****, Dana still had hair when I started watching.

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
Because GSP has never finished a title fight, right? How many PPVs has Cruz headlined again? Oh yeah....one and that was against Urijah, who is still box office despite losing every title fight since 2008. Even that card had other huge draws like Wanderlei and Tito. Let's not forget you're the one that acted like the elitist on MMA knowledge. I've been following the sport for more than a decade. ****, Dana still had hair when I started watching.
Haha, and hadn't dined on Donuts + peds

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Cruz didn't doesn't because he went 3 years between fights. How you gonna follow a guy who has been injured. Some one forgot to tell rousey that smaller fighters don't draw.

HW is almost a joke right now , Cain is good but there really is no competition there right now, I'd like to see him and jones fight but when jones most likely wins that one I wish he would stay in LHW.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Been a fan since UfC 1 and rarely comment. Rodja is 100% correct. It is noting more than a business. McGregor is a HUGE draw so his push is very smart. Hell, Aldo is moving up eventually so the possibility that Conor gets the belt is a good business move.

With that said, this is a closer fight than people think. Conor's size and speed combo will be very difficult for Aldo. I do think Aldo wins but I think it's a close decision.

The only FW out there that I think beat McGregor are Mendes and Lamas. Match ups make fights. Mendes is an awful matchup for Conor.

Additionally if Conor moves up, a fight with Khabib is not a good one for him. Again, all based on skill set matchups.

davidmma

Awards
  • Established
Looking at it from a technical view. McGregor can beat Aldo but Aldo is really great hence why he is the champ. Its going to be a great fight for sure I can't wait to watch it.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Think he is awesome, but I'm not sure how this is going to end. Alvarez has a point with the Nate fights, and he is a different beast then Connor is use to. Gonna be good

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Regardless of the outcomes, some great fights are scheduled.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sooo sick of the bull**** pre fight shenanigans. It's embarrassing.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sooo sick of the bull**** pre fight shenanigans. It's embarrassing.
Couldn't agree more. They need to focus less on the theatrics and more on quality fights.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Women's straw weight fight was freaking one of the best I have seen this year. Joanna might have the fastest kicks I have ever seen and some of the best defensive kicks too.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I like Connor but I agree , before it seemed more realistic, this is over selling. I got feeling he is ready for a break and he already lost this one. Eddie is a totally different animal. I hoping he wins , but it seems like he might have took this too soon and isn't ready

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So much for that... absolutely destroyed eddie

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Won't doubt him again. Thought Eddie had more power than that. Yep Connor is better at 155

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dayum... Fantastic fights. Eddie was just out classed, there was no chance and you could see it in his face. Conor looked twice his size.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, love watching Conor fight...just going to skip anything that has him talking lol. Had hoped that Joanna would have fought better with as much talking as she also does, but glad she got the win. Tough loss for Miesha, but amazing what a great sport she was about it. And screw draws. I say it goes into overtime until somebody wins.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Oh, and Michael Johnson! That dude was not going to tap. That was a painful fight to watch. Khabib did not look like he wanted to keep beating the crap out of him, but nobody was stopping the fight and Johnson was apparently prepared to die in the octagon.