What is the best form of MMA to learn first? (muay thai or BJJ)

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

MMA gyms are so hard to find because they are like Crossfit, IMO. So many don't know what they are really doing and injuries and attitude is abundant.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie612 View Post
    In tournaments they do that Bro not in combat
    No ****, what you practice though is what becomes second nature. In the line of duty, many an officer has been shot down due to the training practice of recovering your shells from the ground.

In bar fights I've seen guys tap out lol.

Side note have fun going to the ground in a street fight and then being stabbed/stomped/shot by the guys friends.

I'm outta here
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
  3. Registered User
    Answers

I hear yah Bro but if I'm going to the ground it's a rap from there no reaching for nothing cause mind is set on a few or more choices I have . Only takes me a few seconds to choke someone out shirts & coats are a fast way to know how to end a street fight if your not familiar with collar chokes Bro takes little as 10 seconds for a black out lol yaw brotha's be cool I'll holler
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Answers

Y'all must be some damn masters haha.
  5. The BPS Rep
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    But not one of them can out piss my 3 yard mark.
    BPS Rep
    *All posts are solely the opinions of myself and do not reflect the opinions of BPS*
    www.bpsnutrition.net

Subscribe to the BPS VIP List for inside information on new products, promos, and introductory offers!
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    Not even close Bro but I do know some things
  7. Registered User
    Answers

You got me there Bro lol
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    MMA gyms are so hard to find because they are like Crossfit, IMO. So many don't know what they are really doing and injuries and attitude is abundant.
    There are 3 or 4 here(maybe more). Don't know if any of them are good(radio commercials make them sound awesome).
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by B3ast View Post
    This may has been asked already, (sorry i am new) but i am thinking of starting one of these styles. I am leaning on the Muay Thai. My main concern is losing muscle. Opinions?
    I started out solely boxing when I was 16. I continued to train solely as a boxer alone until I was about 21, then I discovered BJJ.

The first time I went to a BJJ gym and actually trained I was hooked. I trained in kickboxing, boxing and BJJ for about two years until I noticed my lifts and strength starting to decline and I decided I was going to choose one of them.

In all of the fights I've been into since I started training in all of them (street fights) I really feel that it's a close between BJJ and boxing. If you're fighting someone with absolutely no training at all they are usually throwing hay makers, forget to breath as they swing, etc. and that's when you can learn boxing alone and kick someone's ass. Lets say that your opponent has some training behind them, then I think BJJ comes in.

IMO, if every fight is going to start standing up, you should learn stand up before ground game.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

It has been a very long time since I was in a street fight because I became smart enough to avoid them and not get into those situations that I actually used to seek out (stupid early 20s). People don't realize that a typical street fight is going to last 10-15 seconds at most. During that time, there is going to be mad swinging and cheap shots. So the best you can defend that and counter to get out of the situation, the better for you. Typically that is going to be a striking discipline.

That being said, if you don't like to get hit and kicked, but want to think and strategize, then I would say BJJ is a great place to start.

In the end, you can't lose by gaining a skill no matter the order you learn.
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    It has been a very long time since I was in a street fight because I became smart enough to avoid them and not get into those situations that I actually used to seek out (stupid early 20s). People don't realize that a typical street fight is going to last 10-15 seconds at most. During that time, there is going to be mad swinging and cheap shots. So the best you can defend that and counter to get out of the situation, the better for you. Typically that is going to be a striking discipline. That being said, if you don't like to get hit and kicked, but want to think and strategize, then I would say BJJ is a great place to start. In the end, you can't lose by gaining a skill no matter the order you learn.
    Your right bro street fight's dose not last long at all and if your skill level is up to par I don't care if it's ten your not taking me to the ground nor stomping or stabbing my timing is too much for a street fighter and my cardio is the same and when Im in the club Im with more than 15 brothers that do the same
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Answers

Do bjj im a assistant coach over at TNT mma training center in phx az, and working and learning ground fighting will build a base for striking by learning takedowns and footwork trust me
  13. Registered User
    Answers

Ju jitsu all day brothers but you go with what you want to do or what your comfortable with it's better than not training at all
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Answers

Agreed jiujitsu all day
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"   lbs.
    Answers

Jiu jitsu man! I love it! I work at a martial arts school which is nice but I wish I had started with jits. For being an all around fighter you need a stand up game also. And if even throw in some wrestling for the grappling aspect. So a good Mma gym should serve your needs.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  162 lbs.
    Answers

Witch school do you work at,
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Answers

Im going to piss off someone with this post...but oh well the best to start with is all! You need three things to compete at a pro level im talking skills not athleticism. Jujitsu, wrestling and muay thai. If you start wit anyone separate 98% of people will fall back on what they started with and never be a well rounded fighter. I have been tied to this sport in one way or another since 99 im old...
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/pics/229429-my-fat-mess.html
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  191 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by harbonah View Post
    Im going to piss off someone with this post...but oh well the best to start with is all! You need three things to compete at a pro level im talking skills not athleticism. Jujitsu, wrestling and muay thai. If you start wit anyone separate 98% of people will fall back on what they started with and never be a well rounded fighter. I have been tied to this sport in one way or another since 99 im old...
    Very true you fight how you train.

sorry for prior douche posts. Muay thai is my baby.
    "No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." - Socrates
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Same, muay thai is my passion when it comes to any disciplines. Quite frankly, as many of us have mentioned, anything you do is better than nothing and there is a difference if we are talking about defense, competition, fitness, etc...

Personally, my krav maga training is what I am going to if I have to get out of a situation. I am not sticking around to roll with someone or taking a risk of breaking my hand. My whole goal is to stop it in 5 seconds and get the hell out of there. But, I love trading shots in the gym with muay thai and it is an insane fitness tool for me.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  150 lbs.
    Answers

Wrestling and boxing
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Answers

I wrestled in high school, trained BJJ and catch 4 years on and off. Kickboxing 1 year total and boxing six months now. For the purpose of MMA I have found Wrestling BJJ, and striking in that order. For self defense Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai and wrestling in that order.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

A striker ( boxing, kick boxing, etc.) Is only at their best and most dangerous while standing up. If a grappler (bjj, judo, wrestling, etc) gets them to the ground which happens a lot in fighting they're are completely out of their comfort zone, and their experience and skills don't mean much since they can't use footwork, most strikes, defensive skills. I'm a striker taekwondo, muai thai, boxing. And I'd be more worried about a grappler because my training has primarily been stand up. Safest bet would be to balance your striking and grappling. Muai Thai is fun, striking is great but if you look at fighters like Royce Gracie they easily defeat bigger stronger fighters because ground fighting doesn't require you to be incredibly big or strong. Look at kimbo slice vs Shawn Gannon. Giant superhuman Kimbo got beat in seconds by a guy who didn't even look like a fighter. Whatever you decide, just remember no great fighter ever got great without learning the basics first. Strong basics beat weak flashy techniques everytime.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. DAA what is the best time and way to take it?
    By Justing2 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-21-2014, 05:14 AM
  2. What is the Best version of Epistane to take??
    By sparkman1006 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 05:59 PM
  3. What is the best flavor of Xtend?
    By fatburner2007 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
  4. What is the best way to get rid of hair!!!!!!!!
    By big-j in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2005, 08:23 PM
  5. What is the right time of day to take SD
    By revodrew in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 09:31 PM