What is the best form of MMA to learn first? (muay thai or BJJ)

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
This may has been asked already, (sorry i am new) but i am thinking of starting one of these styles. I am leaning on the Muay Thai. My main concern is losing muscle. Opinions?

ThunderHumper

Banned
Awards
id do muy thai cuz its either kick ass or get your ass kicked. or greco roman wrestling. just pick one that sounds appealing to you, its a hobby so do one you like

B3ast

B3ast

Awards
id do muy thai cuz its either kick ass or get your ass kicked. or greco roman wrestling. just pick one that sounds appealing to you, its a hobby so do one you like
First off, love the user name man! ;) And, thanks for the solid advice. I just am concerned with losing muscle but it probably will not happen depending on how i eat!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Jiu Jitsi + wrestling.

iwamij10

iwamij10

Awards
From my experience in the world of Mixed Martial Arts; boxing and wrestling are the go to due to what each teaches you. I myself don't have much training in wrestling just BJJ and Judo. Striking martial arts depends on your build.

iwamij10

iwamij10

Awards
It just depends on the gym you decide to train at and your reach. But if you find a martial art that strikes interest I say do it. Striking is just a preference.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Muay thai has been suggested by most! I am suprised
One guy suggested it? Lol. Pick one then join a gym or dojo that specializes in whatever you pick.

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
20 years ago. Times have changed and modern MMA is dominated by wrestling. Even BJJ has deep roots in catch wrestling, which preceded the Gracies.
I agree and know you're right... But 20 years ago is when I was awed by what I was seeing...

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would rather see someone get submitted with a Nice arm bar or a rear naked choked, then be held down the whole fight and getting hit with sloppy punches..

niners4reggie

niners4reggie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I feel that wrestling is a great base to have, I also feel Bjj is a great add on. Striking is great but if you don't have a solid ground game you won't have much success.

pampers938

pampers938

Awards
^^^^agreed!! Need to know what your doing on the floor unless you have dynamite in your hands!!

AlexErdellan

AlexErdellan

Awards
  • Established
Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu are great. I always thought striking would be more useful but the last 2 real fights I've been in my grappling skills have been extremely useful to the point where I don't even have to worry about being hit. once you take an untrained person to the ground you can have your way with them. Keep in mind both of these incidents were self defense, I don't go around starting fights for no reason.

jmiyamoto

jmiyamoto

Awards
I actually went through the top mma fighters on Wikipedia once and looked at their backgrounds. Muay Thai, BJJ and wrestling were represented with about equal proportion. So whichever of these you pick, you're probably solid.

rayssen

rayssen

Awards
Just look at the champions in the sport there all wrestlers that's the best base to have to build your skills on!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just look at the champions in the sport there all wrestlers that's the best base to have to build your skills on!
DJ
Barao
Aldo
Pettis
GSP
Weidman
Jones
Cain

3 of them are not wrestlers and GSP did not enter MMA with a wrestling background.

rayssen

rayssen

Awards
Okay two I guess aren't true wrestlers but Cruz is still the real belt holder so Barao don't count yet even tho I think he will dominate Cruz and gsp is good bc of wrestling don't matter if he didn't start it first that's what he had to turn to to be dominant like he is .

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you are young I would definitely say wrestling to start. If you can take someone down and stop a takedown you control where the fight is. Great wrestling CAN nullify BJJ, but definitely look into some form of ground game. Then fight a form of striking you enjoy. Best to have strikes to set up takedowns.

Goldie612

Goldie612

Awards
I agree and know you're right... But 20 years ago is when I was awed by what I was seeing...
A wrestler would have trouble in the streets with real ju jitsu or Valtudo fighter MT as well you can do some damage but the out come would number 1 a wrestler can't fight on their backs ju jitsu is comfortable top or bottom MT real good on stand up but ain't prepared for the ground at all I am not just running my mouth Bro's Im seven going on eight years in ju jitsu Black belt for two years it's all on who you train with for combat results

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I found that Muay Thai was the best for me because it stressed a high level of overall conditioning and fitness. I thought I was in great shape from endurance events and other sports I do, but the intensity and burst conditioning needed was an eye opener. Plus, if there is anyway to stop something from ever going to the ground, then that is the way to go. I enjoy Jui Jitsu, and it is a great form because it negates strength and size many times, but I only do it to know what to do if I was ever to be on the ground or wanted to avoid hitting someone.

Goldie612

Goldie612

Awards
Thai Boxing is very effective one of the best stand up game ever showed sweeps and kicks elbows are very punishing blows but ! you have to come in to land something good that's when ju jitsu baits another fighting art in with no clue how to defend the attack no if there was no way to grapple with the Thai boxer ju jitsu would be in trouble but I highly doubt that It would go like that Bro

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Muay thai, a fight starts standing up, not on your knees

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thai Boxing is very effective one of the best stand up game ever showed sweeps and kicks elbows are very punishing blows but ! you have to come in to land something good that's when ju jitsu baits another fighting art in with no clue how to defend the attack no if there was no way to grapple with the Thai boxer ju jitsu would be in trouble but I highly doubt that It would go like that Bro
Brotha, I read this 3 times throwing commas and periods where I thought they should be and still came up short. I am not discounting any martial art or form of self defense, just saying what works best for me. My 5 year old daughter practices tang su do at a green belt level and spars with brown belts, so I see what any discipline can teach- because if she was 75 lbs heavier, she could kick my ass.

Anything we practice is better than nothing and I respect all of it.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Actually I'd say a hybrid of muay thai and American boxing. Since traditional muay thai lacks good boxing.

Goldie612

Goldie612

Awards
That's all good Bro no one never said mine is better I gave both arts props you train whatever you feel comfortable doing we was talking about what happens if it go's to the ground and this other brother talking about a fighter starts on his knee's lol where they do that at ???

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
That's all good Bro no one never said mine is better I gave both arts props you train whatever you feel comfortable doing we was talking about what happens if it go's to the ground and this other brother talking about a fighter starts on his knee's lol where they do that at ???
Can you read? I said a fight starts standing up. NOT on your knees. I was doing MMA/Catch wrestling/ muay Thai and boxing before it was the cool thing to do. With 18 years under my belt I think I know enough about fighting.

Goldie612

Goldie612

Awards
Who said you don't know about the fight game ? I said I don't know what you mean by the fight start on your feet not the knee's don't no fight start on their knee's that sound funny to me that's good you got some training in we all should I did six years boxing seven going on eight years of Ju-jitsu Bro I know this fight game as well

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey Goldie, they make punctuation keys on the keyboard. I see you found the question mark, but there are some more.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Haha which Gracie was it that said ,

"first time you get hit you become a brown belt, the second time a purple belt.."

Oh and greco starts on your knees and on your feet.

Goldie612

Goldie612

Awards
In tournaments they do that Bro not in combat

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
MMA gyms are so hard to find because they are like Crossfit, IMO. So many don't know what they are really doing and injuries and attitude is abundant.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
In tournaments they do that Bro not in combat
No ****, what you practice though is what becomes second nature. In the line of duty, many an officer has been shot down due to the training practice of recovering your shells from the ground.

In bar fights I've seen guys tap out lol.

Side note have fun going to the ground in a street fight and then being stabbed/stomped/shot by the guys friends.

I'm outta here

Goldie612

Goldie612

Awards
I hear yah Bro but if I'm going to the ground it's a rap from there no reaching for nothing cause mind is set on a few or more choices I have . Only takes me a few seconds to choke someone out shirts & coats are a fast way to know how to end a street fight if your not familiar with collar chokes Bro takes little as 10 seconds for a black out lol yaw brotha's be cool I'll holler

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Y'all must be some damn masters haha.

13bret

13bret

Awards
MMA gyms are so hard to find because they are like Crossfit, IMO. So many don't know what they are really doing and injuries and attitude is abundant.
There are 3 or 4 here(maybe more). Don't know if any of them are good(radio commercials make them sound awesome).

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
This may has been asked already, (sorry i am new) but i am thinking of starting one of these styles. I am leaning on the Muay Thai. My main concern is losing muscle. Opinions?
I started out solely boxing when I was 16. I continued to train solely as a boxer alone until I was about 21, then I discovered BJJ.

The first time I went to a BJJ gym and actually trained I was hooked. I trained in kickboxing, boxing and BJJ for about two years until I noticed my lifts and strength starting to decline and I decided I was going to choose one of them.

In all of the fights I've been into since I started training in all of them (street fights) I really feel that it's a close between BJJ and boxing. If you're fighting someone with absolutely no training at all they are usually throwing hay makers, forget to breath as they swing, etc. and that's when you can learn boxing alone and kick someone's ass. Lets say that your opponent has some training behind them, then I think BJJ comes in.

IMO, if every fight is going to start standing up, you should learn stand up before ground game.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It has been a very long time since I was in a street fight because I became smart enough to avoid them and not get into those situations that I actually used to seek out (stupid early 20s). People don't realize that a typical street fight is going to last 10-15 seconds at most. During that time, there is going to be mad swinging and cheap shots. So the best you can defend that and counter to get out of the situation, the better for you. Typically that is going to be a striking discipline.

That being said, if you don't like to get hit and kicked, but want to think and strategize, then I would say BJJ is a great place to start.

In the end, you can't lose by gaining a skill no matter the order you learn.