UFC 154!

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.59%

UFC 154!

One of the most outstanding UFC events ever! St. Pierre vs. Condit was a surprise, a five round drag-out bloody war between the two best welterweights the UFC has produced. Personally I thought that whoever the winner was going to be would make it happen within the first 3 minutes of the first round. But, I ate my words as I saw Condit strike from unique angles and deliver a left kick to St. Pierre's head which he damn near turned into a TKO. UFC 154 is the best example of MMA skills, raw athleticism, and desire to win that I've seen in the past decade.

All that being said, Johny Hendricks knockout punch to Martin Kampmann was one of the most impressive knockouts ever delivered. It ranks up there with Jon Jones choking out Machida as far as overwhelming power goes. Skill and artistry are important, but who doesn't like seeing a vicious 46 second knockout delivered?
    “Only as a warrior can one withstand the path of knowledge. A warrior cannot complain or regret anything. His life is an endless challenge, and challenges cannot possibly be good or bad. Challenges are simply challenges.”

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.34%

Looks like GSP will be fighting Silva. IMO silva will beat his ass. I like GSP, but I don't think he has what it takes to beat ANderson.

Anderson and Jones, different story. I think Jones might take him. Only time will tell
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.59%

Quote Originally Posted by Shrine View Post
    Looks like GSP will be fighting Silva. IMO silva will beat his ass. I like GSP, but I don't think he has what it takes to beat ANderson.

Anderson and Jones, different story. I think Jones might take him. Only time will tell

It would be impressive if Silva cut down to welterweight then gained up to light heavy. There is a good chance he would beat GSP, but that being said he would be dehydrated and hungry as hell if he actually did. As far as being matched up against Jon Jones, Silva doesn't stand a chance. Jon Jones and Silva have similar body types only Jones is 20lbs heavier, 2in taller, and has a 7in reach advantage. The legend of Silva works at middleweight, but light heavy is an entirely different story.
    “Only as a warrior can one withstand the path of knowledge. A warrior cannot complain or regret anything. His life is an endless challenge, and challenges cannot possibly be good or bad. Challenges are simply challenges.”
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

Outside of the main event and the Hendricks KO, it was a pretty mediocre event with many middling decisions. Even the GSP/Condit fight was very one-sided outside of the first 2:30 of the 3rd round. It sucked that Costa wasn't able to fight because he has shown steady growth in each fight, but he should be able to fill in if there's an injury.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  166 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.09%

Quote Originally Posted by Shrine View Post

i think hendrix is up next for gsp...
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.8%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by chitown58

Not if White gets his way.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

The stage is set for the GSP/Silva fight, which is, IMO, the fight that needs to happen. Bones wants no part of Anderson at this point in his career.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.3%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

GSP/Silva has been the white whale of fights for some time. I've always sort of thought that we wouldn't get to see it until each had one loss.
    ADVANCED MUSCLE SCIENCE
    Strongest On The Market
    RECOVERBRO: Est. Post #3222
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by chitown58

Agreed I don't know if that's a good fight for GSP he is one of my favorites but Hendricks has one hell of a punch and GSP has a questionable chin.
    Life's a garden, dig it
  10. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

I don't think GSP should fight Silva why not fight Ben Henderson at a catch weight or even at lightweight and hold two belts
    Life's a garden, dig it
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%

Quote Originally Posted by niners4reggie View Post
    I don't think GSP should fight Silva why not fight Ben Henderson at a catch weight or even at lightweight and hold two belts
    GSP can't make 155 and Bendo's name is not nearly big enough to warrant that matchup.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%

Just saying it makes more sense than a fight with Silva. Im sure GSP could make 155 and although I agree Henderson might not be a huge household name it would be a good fight.
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%

Just saying it makes more sense than a fight with Silva. Im sure GSP could make 155 and although I agree Henderson might not be a huge household name it would be a good fight.
    GSP walks around at about 190 and is already extremely lean. There's no damn way that he would make 155 and, again, GSP/Bendo is not a marquee matchup because Bendo has not established dominance within the division (IMO, he lost to Edgar in their rematch) the way that BJ did when they fought the second time or how Andy has currently. Plus, the weight difference between GSP and Silva will not be much. When Andy fought Bonnar, he weighed 202 and was much pudgier than he is when he fights at MW. At most, there would be a 5-8lb difference between them come fight time.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%

GSP's trainer himself said that he is considering dropping to 155 and having 5 fights
    Life's a garden, dig it
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%

Cool to see another passionate mma fan on here!!
    Life's a garden, dig it
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%

GSP's trainer himself said that he is considering dropping to 155 and having 5 fights
    No, he didn't say that. Firas said that he would like to see a drop to LW over going up to MW and that interview was prior to his ACL tear (Oct 2011). However, GSP himself later said that it would be highly unlikely for him to drop to LW.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.14%

There is no chance in hell of GSP being able to cut to LW. And dropping a weight class makes absolutely no sense regardless, considering the fact that he's been so maligned in the past for being such a "huge" welterweight. He seems fully aware of the dangers of facing Silva at any weight, and that's his prerogative. Hendricks and Diaz are still compelling challengers.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%

I agree on Hendricks that guy is a beast!
    Life's a garden, dig it
  19. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.8%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by niners4reggie
    I gotta agree with rodja, GSP carries decent amount of muscle and is pretty lean as it is. He would have lose some muscle to move to 155. I would be curious to know when gsp's trainer said that because there will be alot of play on words coming from both silva and gsp camps. They will try and squeeze every dime they can to fight and they know Dana will pay.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.8%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

No, he didn't say that. Firas said that he would like to see a drop to LW over going up to MW and that interview was prior to his ACL tear (Oct 2011). However, GSP himself later said that it would be highly unlikely for him to drop to LW.
    Nm I got my answer.
  21. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.91%
    Achievements Activity Pro

GSP would never fight at LW I highly doubt he can drop that much safely. I think the GSP Silva fight happens but at 177. Silva is already prepping for that weight and it was his idea to bait GSP with it. He has said in interviews he will go down if needed for that fight but he wants it for the belt and GSP won't go for it. The outcome would be very intriquing and I as an MMA fan hope they figure it out , if not for a great fight just so people can stop talkin about it already.
  22. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%

People forget (mainly because most MMA "fans" don't do their homework) that GSP/Silva was set to happen after UFC 112 at 177lbs, but Silva put on a disgrace of a performance against Maia and Dana pulled the plug on it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  23. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.91%

I like the fact that you remember that. Means you are a fan of the sport like myself.

That's the biggest thing with silva if he wants to dominate he is in and out but he is isn't interested in the fight then he waste time and plays games.
  24. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%

What would you rather see? Jones vs Silva or GSP vs Silva?
    Life's a garden, dig it
  25. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%

GSP v Silva
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  26. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.91%

+1

But there is other fights I would like to see silva....

Silva v a grizzly
    Silva v a great white
    Silva v Bruce lee

Just kidding
  27. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    GSP v Silva
    Would be a great fight. Any talk of where it would be held? Brazil. Canada or a neutral place?
    Life's a garden, dig it
  28. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%

Quote Originally Posted by pampers938
    +1

But there is other fights I would like to see silva....

Silva v a grizzly
    Silva v a great white
    Silva v Bruce lee

Just kidding
    Lol
    Life's a garden, dig it
  29. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.91%

I read that Dana white has 3 venues in mind...

Cowboy Stadium as a neutral
    A Soccer Stadium in Rio ( to sweeten pot for Silva)
    And
    Montreal/ Toronto ( to sweeten pot for GSP.

He thinks this fight will sell out cowboy stadium
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%

That's right I do remember hearing that. Cowboys stadium would be epic!!
    Life's a garden, dig it
  31. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%

I doubt any event outside of a literal supercard will fill 100,000 seat stadium. The highest MMA event ever did ~71,000 and that was in Pride nearly a decade ago.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  32. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.91%

Cowboy stadium would the beat venue I think. I think those 2 could fight in a garage and it will set records but the fact that stadium is so viewer friendly ( huge screen) would be epic! The fact that it might sell 90000 would be insane.

Did you hear Dominick Cruz is out for a year?
  33. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%

Quote Originally Posted by pampers938 View Post
    Cowboy stadium would the beat venue I think. I think those 2 could fight in a garage and it will set records but the fact that stadium is so viewer friendly ( huge screen) would be epic! The fact that it might sell 90000 would be insane.

Did you hear Dominick Cruz is out for a year?
    Nobody cares about Dominick Cruz. Fun fact about him: he has yet to finish a fight in the WEC/UFC with most of his decisions not viewer fan-friendly.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  34. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.91%

^^^agreed on Cruz. Just stating a fact that he was out.
  35. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%

Quote Originally Posted by pampers938 View Post
    ^^^agreed on Cruz. Just stating a fact that he was out.
    He already hasn't fought in over a year and I doubt anyone has missed him. I'd love to see Mayday KO him when he returns, though.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  36. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%

Do any of you guys compete? I have a February fight and wondering if most pwo's would cause me to fail a drug screen
    Life's a garden, dig it
  37. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.38%

Do any of you guys compete? I have a February fight and wondering if most pwo's would cause me to fail a drug screen
    Most low-tier shows aren't going to test anyway, but only 1,3 or ephedrine would pose some risk of triggering a positive.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  173 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.67%

Good thing I just ran out of Jack3d lol
    Life's a garden, dig it

Similar Forum Threads

1. UFC vs Pride
    By KD1 in forum MMA
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 10:10 AM
  2. Royce Gracie back in the UFC
    By drunk in forum MMA
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 02-19-2006, 08:07 PM
  3. UFC 54, Anyone Watching Sat?