New to MMA

  1. New Member
    sportsnh's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    67
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    36.07%

    New to MMA


    Hey Guys,

    Just turned 22 and am looking to get into this sport. Not looking to compete much in tournaments but is it too late for me to join seeing as I have no previous martial arts experience?

    The MMA gym said that I wouldn't have a problem but I'm afraid they are just saying that to take my money?

    Advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks

  2. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    If you're not seeking to compete, then why do you have any hesitation?
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  3. New Member
    sportsnh's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    67
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    36.07%

    I'm seeking to compete in local amateur fights but nothing major
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    22 isn't too old. Go watch a few amateur events and you'll see the level of "skill" that most of them have.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  5. New Member
    sportsnh's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Age
    25
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    67
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    36.07%

    Thanks for your advice---idk I was just nervous bout getting into it so late seeing as typically you hear about people growing up doing martial arts...the same way people grow up playing hockey or football etc
  6. New Member
    Sarge911's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    44
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    45%

    Not even close to being to old , with the training methods and coaches out there today you should be able to be ready pretty quick depending on how hard you work and how much dedication you put into it.
  7. New Member
    JesstheIbex's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    1308
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    1.16%

    Def not old. Heck many pro fighters UFC and Strikeforce fighters started fighting in early 20s. You haven't even reached ur prime.

    If you want to fight MMA but have hesitation about fights... Then don't do fights. Can always just spar. Or check out pankration. No hits to head
  8. Senior Member
    MuscleGauge1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,568
    Rep Power
    258615
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    10.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Why are you joining a sport and not competing? I'm confused you just want to train like a fighter and not fight? Don't you think that would be disappointing?
  9. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleGauge1 View Post
    Why are you joining a sport and not competing? I'm confused you just want to train like a fighter and not fight? Don't you think that would be disappointing?
    Not a lot of people have the time to devote to training 20-30 hours a week for a fight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  10. New Member
    JesstheIbex's Avatar
    Stats
    5'5"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    1308
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    1.16%

    I agree. Plus it's a great workout. Relieves stress. And just the overall MMA community is pretty awesome. Plus some people can't risk potential injuries with their chosen profession.
  11. New Member
    0ptimumfit's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  290 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    45
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    95.08%

    Studying any martial art is its own reward.
    Nothing says you have to compete at any point, but just having the knowledge itself is worth the time invested.
    www.optimumfitness.com

    A passion for winning
  12. New Member
    bomcgraw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    215
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    86.22%

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsnh
    Hey Guys,

    Just turned 22 and am looking to get into this sport. Not looking to compete much in tournaments but is it too late for me to join seeing as I have no previous martial arts experience?

    The MMA gym said that I wouldn't have a problem but I'm afraid they are just saying that to take my money?

    Advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks
    Randy "The Natural" Couture didn't start MMA until he was 35. When I was 19 I was in the cage with a 45 year old at an ammy event. If you wanna fight, then fight. You're not as old as you think you are.
  13. Senior Member
    MuscleGauge1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,568
    Rep Power
    258615
    Level
    36
    Lv. Percent
    10.04%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I would suggest joining a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu studio. Great for ground fighting
  14. Elite Member
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Rep Power
    4042
    Level
    53
    Lv. Percent
    87.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    It really depends how serious you want to be. I you wanna learn a watered down version of everything, join an mma gym. If you wanna learn to fight your better off training your stand up at a pure/traditional Muay Thai gym and your ground at a bjj gym. Training the different stuff at the same gym gets things watered down. You can't focus enough of your time and energy on what you'll need. Learn Muay Thai first IMO.
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    It really depends how serious you want to be. I you wanna learn a watered down version of everything, join an mma gym. If you wanna learn to fight your better off training your stand up at a pure/traditional Muay Thai gym and your ground at a bjj gym. Training the different stuff at the same gym gets things watered down. You can't focus enough of your time and energy on what you'll need. Learn Muay Thai first IMO.
    This may have been true 10 years ago, but not anymore. The money is with the MMA gyms now and it's common to find a gym with multiple instructors for each of the separate arts.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  16. Professional Member
    southpaw23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,376
    Rep Power
    1387267
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    13.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    If your goal was to go pro, then I'd say that having an amateur background would be of vital importance. I'm using boxing as a point of reference. Not sure if MMA would necessitate the same type of amateur experience.
  17. New Member
    mmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    44
    Rep Power
    2227
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    71.59%

    sure
  18. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by southpaw23 View Post
    If your goal was to go pro, then I'd say that having an amateur background would be of vital importance. I'm using boxing as a point of reference. Not sure if MMA would necessitate the same type of amateur experience.
    It depends on what you define as a background. It's not uncommon for dudes with 10-15 years of grappling experience to have 1-2 ammy fights and then go into the professional ranks.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  19. Elite Member
    GMG760's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  209 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    6,709
    Rep Power
    4042
    Level
    53
    Lv. Percent
    87.99%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    This may have been true 10 years ago, but not anymore. The money is with the MMA gyms now and it's common to find a gym with multiple instructors for each of the separate arts.
    Agree to disagree. I watch guys who train at mma gyms enter Muay Thai boxing matches around here (San Diego) and a lot of them get eaten up by the traditional Muay Thai guys. It's like asking who's a better striker, gsp or buakaw por pramuk. In the octagon gsp would ruin buakaw, but only because of the ground game. If gsp tried to kickbox with buakaw, he'd be demolished. I think that training one martial art per gym is best when starting out. 10 years down the line? Sure mix it all up.
    ...GMG760 Version 2.0 ... Back from the dead.
  20. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317354
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by GMG760 View Post
    Agree to disagree. I watch guys who train at mma gyms enter Muay Thai boxing matches around here (San Diego) and a lot of them get eaten up by the traditional Muay Thai guys. It's like asking who's a better striker, gsp or buakaw por pramuk. In the octagon gsp would ruin buakaw, but only because of the ground game. If gsp tried to kickbox with buakaw, he'd be demolished. I think that training one martial art per gym is best when starting out. 10 years down the line? Sure mix it all up.
    That's a separate issue altogether. Obviously, the specialist will win in their environment, but that's not MMA. The style of training that you recommend is very common in Japan and they get eaten alive in North America because they do not implement correctly. Thai boxing is great, but there are certain elements that will not work in a cage.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  21. New Member
    bomcgraw's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    28
    Posts
    217
    Rep Power
    215
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    86.22%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    That's a separate issue altogether. Obviously, the specialist will win in their environment, but that's not MMA. The style of training that you recommend is very common in Japan and they get eaten alive in North America because they do not implement correctly. Thai boxing is great, but there are certain elements that will not work in a cage.
    ^^this^^ just because a person learns judo and muy tai doesn't mean they know how to use them together. When starting out, learn the basics of everything from one gym so you know how to transition from one to the next. Training at multiple gyms is expensive and time consuming, not what the average ammy fighter is able to put into it. Go to sherdog.net for some good advice. In the fighter's forum there are a couple threads for beginners with helpful info. Just don't trust a con man like I did when I started out.
  

  
 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in