Pound 4 Pound

  1. Registered User
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLO
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1511

    Pound 4 Pound


    The title for best pound for pound fighter is very controversial for some. I believe this is what the list is in my eyes.

    1. Anderson Silva
    2. Jone Jones
    3. GSP
    4. Frank Edgar

    Anderson Silva has only really been losing a fight in the UFC once. The UFC is a lot more relevant in this conversation to me due to steroid testing for awhile now. His fight with Chael Sonnen exposed his flaws but he still prevailed with his BJJ. When he did not finish a fight it was due to his choice with his stupid attitude. IMO against TL and Maia he did not want to finish a fellow Brazilian. His fight with Lutter was a little lackluster at first but having it not be a title fight can really mess with your head. Hendo did well for a bit till SIlva took him out. The Cote fight was odd, I think Anderson Silva was already bored in the UFC and wanted to test the waters in the later rounds. He never once had a "war" in the cage and I think he wanted one. To me it was obvious he wanted Cote to come at him to create a good match. After that is when he pulled the BS stunts with TL and Maia. He destroyed Griffin and Irvin at 205. Complete domination. To me, a p4p best can move classes. Since these older fights he has dominated many guys at 185 and finished a good amount of fights which plays a role. You have to finish fights a portion of the time to show case your talent in not having a fight go the full time. Some might argue GSP has talent in getting the guy to his position but I will get to that later. Silva, who I think is an *******, is the best in the world but in MMA that can change quick with something like Sonnen or Jones fighting him.

    Jones....elbows, need I say more? He has destructive strikes for being so tall and lean with amazing reach and athleticism. He wrestling is great and he gets the guy where he wants (The ground and against the cage to throw elbows.) We saw him in danger against Machida but we all saw how he ended that. He is a new breed, complete super athlete. His strikes are getting better but his attitude is getting worse. The guy is amazing.

    GSP, This guy does exactly what you need except finishing a fight. He is a great champion and athlete and martial artist. I have a ton of respect for the guy. I think the Matt Serra fight was a huge wake up and has cursed him since. He hits guys in the face so many times and lays on top of them grounding and pounding but hasn't finished a guy in days. You cant call a guy p4p champ for this. You can say best Welter weight ever, as well as superstart and in the top for p4p but it stops there. It is a great talent to follow the game plan like he does as well as not get caught. He is very well rounded but lacks that stopping ability. Laying on a guy and beating him up is pretty awesome, but its the same everytime which is impressive and will sell tickets and PPV. That is his game and he does it the best out of anyone. There are plenty of 170, 155, 145, 135 fights who end in KO, TKO, and sh!t at least submission so don't give me that.

    Frank Edgar, I bashed this guy at first and didnt give him a chance when BJ was in the picture. The guy is for real and relentless. He has power and great recover time. His strikes are some of the best boxing, footwork, and head movement in the sport. His wrestling background has really saved him at times. remember when everyone counted him out against Sherk? Then Penn. This kid is great.

    I will admit I am not a fan of the smaller classes. They just do not interest me much due to me not getting that scary feeling in my stomache. I like the HW division but its always changing. I would probably drop Cains name in here if he did not lose to JDS. Both of those guys are top notch and better than Lesner. Now lets see how Overeem does with out steroids. I wish I was talking about Fedor in here : (

  2. Registered User
    Sarge911's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  178 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    41

    I agree with your rankings but i might put GSP at #2 just because hes more proven .
  3. Registered User
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLO
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1511

    hes pretty damn proven. dominates the welter weight class. i wanan see him start finishing or jumping classes and still winning. he needs to get out of his comfort zone. bottom line is he is so good we wanna see him pushed to the limits. just amazing fighters right here.
    •   
       

  4. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge911 View Post
    I agree with your rankings but i might put GSP at #2 just because hes more proven .
    I hear what you're saying, GSP is definitely the veteran. He certainly pulls victories over his opponents, but JBJ dominantes his opponents to first/second round finishes danm near every fight. As head & shoulders as GSP is above the WW division, JBJ is even further head & shoulders above the LHW division. I think it could be arguable either way, but I'd give the spot to JBJ as it stands right now.
    NSCA - CSCS
  5. Registered User
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLO
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1511

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I hear what you're saying, GSP is definitely the veteran. He certainly pulls victories over his opponents, but JBJ dominantes his opponents to first/second round finishes danm near every fight. As head & shoulders as GSP is above the WW division, JBJ is even further head & shoulders above the LHW division. I think it could be arguable either way, but I'd give the spot to JBJ as it stands right now.
    welcome back man where have you been? thinknig about doing another log? i would love to see you do an andromass or androhard log. 8 week of course : )
  6. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteguy29 View Post
    welcome back man where have you been? thinknig about doing another log? i would love to see you do an andromass or androhard log. 8 week of course : )
    I'm still around, posting mostly in here: Athletix Sports Daily MMA News

    I was considering another AL/AH run soon. I need to cut down a bit from my last Cyanostane run. I'm currently 230lbs. I can use a good 20lbs drop.
    NSCA - CSCS
  7. Registered User
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLO
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1511

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I'm still around, posting mostly in here: Athletix Sports Daily MMA News

    I was considering another AL/AH run soon. I need to cut down a bit from my last Cyanostane run. I'm currently 230lbs. I can use a good 20lbs drop.
    without doing a google search what is Cyanostane? if its a PH/DS what was your PCT i know you had a hard time getting a SERM. lasttime i talked to you, you were 195-200ish
  8. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteguy29 View Post
    without doing a google search what is Cyanostane? if its a PH/DS what was your PCT i know you had a hard time getting a SERM. lasttime i talked to you, you were 195-200ish
    It's an oral PH. My PCT was pretty locked down, I ran Nolva 20/20/10/10, 6-Bromo, Anabaeta, Division I and 2 weeks of DAA. I actually got as low as 190lbs by the end of my last cut, but I over-cut, which for me means I cut out too much muscle for my liking. I got back up to about 215lbs on my own, then ran Cyanostane up to about 226lbs and by the end of PCT I average 227-228lbs. I was expecting a big water drop once I got off, but apparently, Cyanostane is very "dry." I kept all the weight, but I still looked bigger on cycle and I was definitely stronger with greater muscle endurance. I'd certainly run Cyanostane again in the future, but maybe take a less full on bulk approach so I don't bloat up, though it seems to go against the point of running a PH in my mind if I don't fully exploit it by full-blown bulking, I don't know.
    NSCA - CSCS
  9. Registered User
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLO
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1511

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    It's an oral PH. My PCT was pretty locked down, I ran Nolva 20/20/10/10, 6-Bromo, Anabaeta, Division I and 2 weeks of DAA. I actually got as low as 190lbs by the end of my last cut, but I over-cut, which for me means I cut out too much muscle for my liking. I got back up to about 215lbs on my own, then ran Cyanostane up to about 226lbs and by the end of PCT I average 227-228lbs. I was expecting a big water drop once I got off, but apparently, Cyanostane is very "dry." I kept all the weight, but I still looked bigger on cycle and I was definitely stronger with greater muscle endurance. I'd certainly run Cyanostane again in the future, but maybe take a less full on bulk approach so I don't bloat up, though it seems to go against the point of running a PH in my mind if I don't fully exploit it by full-blown bulking, I don't know.
    what kind of PH is it? a clome of something or what? what can you compare it to? is it methyl?
  10. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteguy29 View Post
    what kind of PH is it? a clome of something or what? what can you compare it to? is it methyl?
    Here is a partial caption:

    [quote]Cynostane is a relatively new prohormone which features an alteration of the Superdrol compound, with a cyano bond instead of the 2a methyl superdrol bond. Effects – Cynostane, originally developed by Anabolic Innovations, is an extremely anabolic compound with remarkably low androgenic action, making it qualitatively similar to the likes of Oxandrolone or Methenolone (Primobolan)...[/quote]
    NSCA - CSCS
  11. Registered User
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLO
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1511

    [QUOTE=VolcomX311;3172056]Here is a partial caption:

    Cynostane is a relatively new prohormone which features an alteration of the Superdrol compound, with a cyano bond instead of the 2a methyl superdrol bond. Effects – Cynostane, originally developed by Anabolic Innovations, is an extremely anabolic compound with remarkably low androgenic action, making it qualitatively similar to the likes of Oxandrolone or Methenolone (Primobolan)...[/quote]
    nice, good stuff man, glad you got your bulk on.
  12. Registered User
    Ricci Gladwel's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Age
    27
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    80

    Bones Jones is my favourite! What a fighter, his got some mad skills!
  13. Registered User
    PrepNwa23's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    4,360
    Rep Power
    2726316

    Pound for Pound for me

    1. GSP - The man just gets it done, his ACL injury kind of hurt his stock probably in the P4P category but i don't discount anything he's done in beating some of the best.

    2. Jon Jones - This guy only beat Bader, Shogun, Rampage, and Machida in one year no biggy or anything. This kid is crazy good and he could knock off Hendo and Evans this year. Would make a pretty impressive resume.

    3. Anderson Silva - Yes he should be higher, but the talent just hasn't been there for him to go against and i don't blame him but i just haven't really been impressed by him beating up on guys like Cote, Griffin, and Maia. Just would like some more epic victories you almost forget he beat Hendo sometimes.

    4. Jose Aldo - This guy is a beast, dangerous striker and all around good fighter. Should be a good fight tonight. He's beat Faber, Brown, Ken Flo, and Gamburyan all solid fights. Like to see him end this fight with Mendes though last two have been decisions.
    PES Representative
    The above is my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of PES
  14. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    1. Anderson Silva (and I can't stand him)
    2. JBJ (not a fan of him either)
    3. GSP
    4. Jose Aldo
    5. Dominick Cruz
    NSCA - CSCS
  15. Registered User
    mh625's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ft. Carson
    Age
    31
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    296

    Just one out of left field a up and comer is Douglas Lima I don't know if you guys have had a chance to see him fight but if not look him up he has the potential to be very good.
  16. Registered User
    gospher's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    374

    1. Silva
    2 Jose aldo
    3 gsp ( whom I hate)
    4 close between jones and Edgar
  17. Registered User
    gospher's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  174 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    73
    Rep Power
    374

    Potential for serious talent

    Rory MaCdonald 170
    Dustin Poieier 145
    Alexander Gustafsson

    Condit beats Diaz and will beat gsp I'm willing to beat that my man grown a lot and is a true killer and finisher
  18. Registered User
    mh625's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ft. Carson
    Age
    31
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    296

    Sorry I don't see Condit beating Diaz hell I don't see anyone at 170 beating Diaz right now he is on another level I think but definantly will be a good fight.
  19. Registered User
    bigwhiteguy29's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    SLO
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    1511

    Diaz could lose easily by losing focus due to the opponent, money, gsp, training partners, UFC ect. I hope Diaz keeps kicking ass but i am scared.
  20. Registered User
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    16,356
    Rep Power
    79687

    I'm rooting for Diaz and I think Diaz wins. I like Condit, but I couldn't see him beating GSP. Strikers don't fair against GSP, if he wants to take you down and grind you out, he does it and I don't know that Condit has the guard game to deal with GSP's wreslting. I would favor GSP over Nick Diaz as well, but at least Nick is a Gracie blackbelt, so he still has a chance working off his back.
    NSCA - CSCS
  21. Registered User
    mh625's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ft. Carson
    Age
    31
    Posts
    229
    Rep Power
    296

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I'm rooting for Diaz and I think Diaz wins. I like Condit, but I couldn't see him beating GSP. Strikers don't fair against GSP, if he wants to take you down and grind you out, he does it and I don't know that Condit has the guard game to deal with GSP's wreslting. I would favor GSP over Nick Diaz as well, but at least Nick is a Gracie blackbelt, so he still has a chance working off his back.
    Yeah I agree with you but I do see Nick beating GSP Nick has a way of making his fights street fights and if GSP was to take him down which is going to happen I see Nick subbing him. I don't want to take anything away from Condit he is a very tough guy and there is no quit in him if either man give him a chance to win he will go balls out trying to do so. Any of these fights will be great to watch.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-23-2011, 02:14 AM
  2. What I Will Never Understand: Pound-for-Pound #1
    By Mulletsoldier in forum MMA
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 08:22 AM
  3. The Case for Pound-for-Pound Numero Uno!
    By Mulletsoldier in forum MMA
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 12:11 PM
  4. Let's All Smoke Out on a 1/2 Pound
    By NasD in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 04:22 AM
  5. 625 Pound Squat
    By BLACK747 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 02:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in