Go Sonnen! - AnabolicMinds.com - Page 2

Go Sonnen!

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew732 View Post
    Someone has to say but sorry Mullet you are just like a woman, you NEED to win all your arguments, and are always right, that is all; carry on.
    lol

duck!!!!

grammatical grenades are coming your way

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Are you being serious? There are a great number of ways Silva could have gone about "putting on a show," but being taken down at will, wobbled on the feet, and beaten and controlled on the ground certainly seems like the most implausible of all.

The reality here - sorry to burst the ever-increasing A. Silva fandom - is that, like many fighters at the upper echelons of the sport, he has perfected a certain aspect of fighting (striking) at the expense of others (defensive wrestling and ground control) and Sonnen was the perfect stylistic match up to expose that. Like many wrestlers, Sonnen uses the thread of the TD to set up strikes and he caught Anderson dancing last night.

With all due respect Mullet; I wanted Sonnen to beat the crap out of Silva. If you read my post at the begining of this thread you'll see I am sincere but ....I am re; watching the first round right now in slow motion. Watch from 3:45 on down to 3:20 etc. and you will clearly see Silva eating Sonnen's punches and seeing them coming from 10 miles away.....no, actually from 1000 miles away. He saw ever single punch and every single take down coming and has his full senses with him for every single move Sonnen made and every single punch that Sonnen landed....you can clearly see it in Silva's eyes and body movement etc. He beautifully slips several of Sonnens punches but just stands there eating others while fully aware they are coming and deliberately keeping his hands down....not stunned at all....contrary to what Goldberg and Rogan are saying. Slow motion thankfully kills the sound.

There is no doubt in my mind that either he was seriously injured from b4 the fight and was in pain and could not react properly or he was toying with Sonnen and putting on a show. Remember....he is one wacky dude who doesn't exactly function with the same logic that you do.

I think if you give it the time and watch in slow motion you'll see Silva was never in trouble, probably for the whole fight I am guessing, but I'd have to rewatch the whole thing to be sure.

Sonnen also set a new compustrike record for punches landed ....289....yet no damage to Silva.

After re:watching there is No doubt in my mind ....either Silva was in pain and couldn't fight properly or it was a show. Slow mo is very revealing.

Flame away but watch it slow first.
  3. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by luclyluciano View Post
    With all due respect Mullet; I wanted Sonnen to beat the crap out of Silva. If you read my post at the begining of this thread you'll see I am sincere but ....I am re; watching the first round right now in slow motion. Watch from 3:45 on down to 3:20 etc. and you will clearly see Silva eating Sonnen's punches and seeing them coming from 10 miles away.....no, actually from 1000 miles away. He saw ever single punch and every single take down coming and has his full senses with him for every single move Sonnen made and every single punch that Sonnen landed....you can clearly see it in Silva's eyes and body movement etc. He beautifully slips several of Sonnens punches but just stands there eating others while fully aware they are coming and deliberately keeping his hands down....not stunned at all....contrary to what Goldberg and Rogan are saying. Slow motion thankfully kills the sound.

There is no doubt in my mind that either he was seriously injured from b4 the fight and was in pain and could not react properly or he was toying with Sonnen and putting on a show. Remember....he is one wacky dude who doesn't exactly function with the same logic that you do.

I think if you give it the time and watch in slow motion you'll see Silva was never in trouble, probably for the whole fight I am guessing, but I'd have to rewatch the whole thing to be sure.

Sonnen also set a new compustrike record for punches landed ....289....yet no damage to Silva.

After re:watching there is No doubt in my mind ....either Silva was in pain and couldn't fight properly or it was a show. Slow mo is very revealing.

LOL.

I told my buddies last night as I laughed taking their money, outside of being a little swollen, Silva looked like he just rolled out of bed.

Not 23ish minutes of being "beaten like a pillow" they were all talking.

LMAO.
    •   

4. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    My grammatical guru returns, my mullet love.

lol

My cash awaits.
    Most would seem like a grammar guru next to you, Kris!

Maybe I will donate some of my (your) money for a solid course of hooked on phonics? Spell it now: W-R-E-S-T-L-I-N-G.
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Most would seem like a grammar guru next to you, Kris!

Maybe I will donate some of my (your) money for a solid course of hooked on phonics? Spell it now: W-R-E-S-T-L-I-N-G.
    Your so kind.

Cold hard cash awaits my love.

6. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Your so kind.

Cold hard cash awaits my love.

I agree: Im kind as a kitten. I prefer credit, though. Thanks!

7. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Not flaming, but I watched the fight on my DVR after this post, and feel we are watching entirely different fights.

Then again, I was never convinced that A. Silva was P4P # 1, and was fully aware that his defensive wrestling was horrid; so, how the events took place was not a giant shock, and nor was the fact that they took place. I have commented in the past how Lutter, Franklin, Marquardt and Henderson all took him down, it just seems Chael had better top control than the others.
  8. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

I agree: Im kind as a kitten. I prefer credit, though. Thanks!

Benji's and Grant is all I want.

NP credit does nothing for me.

Have your people call my people, I'm sure an amicable transaction can be had by all.
  9. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Benji's and Grant is all I want.

NP credit does nothing for me.

Have your people call my people, I'm sure an amicable transaction can be had by all.
    Haha. "We'll be in touch."
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.

Not flaming, but I watched the fight on my DVR after this post, and feel we are watching entirely different fights.

Then again, I was never convinced that A. Silva was P4P # 1, and was fully aware that his defensive wrestling was horrid; so, how the events took place was not a giant shock, and nor was the fact that they took place. I have commented in the past how Lutter, Franklin, Marquardt and Henderson all took him down, it just seems Chael had better top control than the others.
    I believe in the rib injury story. The Silva that fought last night was not the same Silva that fought Griffin or Franklin Matrix style, reading moves, bobbing and weaving. he also could have danced around to avoid the take downs,
  11. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

I believe in the rib injury story. The Silva that fought last night was not the same Silva that fought Griffin or Franklin Matrix style, reading moves, bobbing and weaving. he also could have danced around to avoid the take downs,
    And I thought I was bad in terms of making excuses for GSP.

Here is the undeniable truth exported from last night's bout, no matter how you choose to analyze it: for 24 minutes of the fight, Chael Sonnen was a better fighter than Anderson Silva. Period.

He implemented the exact same gameplan Dan Henderson successfully used in round one of the Hendo/Silva match, but, unlike Hendo, did not fall in love with his right hand in the second round - and as a result, he did not pay for it.

This rib injury is utter nonsense, and truly robs a fighter of the performance of his career - even in coming up short.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quit the sniveling mullet, Silva is the better fighter no matter how you slice it.

He got the W last night, like it or not.

Next!!!!!
  13. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quit the sniveling mullet, Silva is the better fighter no matter how you slice it.

He got the W last night, like it or not.

Next!!!!!
    Oh, I am not complaining. Sonnen made a mistake, and Anderson, like Brock last month, showed that you truly have to finish true champions as they will persevere.

That being said, you have to be fucking delusional - which given your comments in this thread, seems to be the case - not to understand and recognize that Sonnen outclassed Silva for the vast majority of the fight.

Next!
  14. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Not the kind of victory I'd gloat about. A win is a win, but getting dominated for 4 3/4 rounds isn't something you can be condescending about. Sonnen was suppose to get KTFO in the first. Sonnen still lost at the end of the night, but he backed up 95% of his outrageous trash.

Also, if Chael could land damaging shots on Silva, Vitor would anal assault Silva like they met on Craig's List.
    NSCA - CSCS
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Oh, I am not complaining. Sonnen made a mistake, and Anderson, like Brock last month, showed that you truly have to finish true champions as they will persevere.

That being said, you have to be fucking delusional - which given your comments in this thread, seems to be the case - not to understand and recognize that Sonnen outclassed Silva for the vast majority of the fight.

Next!
    That's a disorder I have learned to live with, very similar to coping with you. Pain in the buttocks, but very manageable with the proper tools.

Meh, the "beaten pillow" technique is a very good method of tiring your component out, then subing him in the final minutes of the last round. Look it up, that comes from the Nogueira camp.

So who's up next for the taking in the Spiders web?
  16. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    Not the kind of victory I'd gloat about. A win is a win, but getting dominated for 4 3/4 rounds isn't something you can be condescending about. Sonnen was suppose to get KTFO in the first. Sonnen still lost at the end of the night, but he backed up 95% of his outrageous trash.

Also, if Chael could land damaging shots on Silva, Vitor would anal assault Silva like they met on Craig's List.

No disrespect but shhhhhh.

I love rubbing Spider victories in Mullets face. Love it.

I cant wait for the GSP beatdown coming via the Spider.
  17. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

LMAO!!!
  18. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Hemroids is a disorder I have learned to live with. Pain in the buttocks, but very manageable with the proper tools.
    Sounds like you should speak to a physician about that - clear those right up.

Meh, the "beaten pillow" is a very good method of tiring your component out then subing him in the final minutes of the last round. Look it up, that comes from the Nogueira camp.
    Indeed. "How to Win by Having Your Ass Handed to You on a Platter for 24 Minutes" was actually a component of the instructional DVDs that Anderson Silva released. It was the section before, "How Not to Stop a Takedown," and right after "Using Your Face as a Shield While in Guard."
  19. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

No disrespect but shhhhhh.

I love rubbing Spider victories in Mullets face. Love it.

I cant wait for the GSP beatdown coming via the Spider.
    Ah, my little friend. How you misunderstand me.

I poke at you because you always end up acting like an ass moreso than because I dislike Anderson. Entertainment at its finest.
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Ah, my little friend. How you misunderstand me.

I poke at you because you always end up acting like an ass moreso than because I dislike Anderson. Entertainment at its finest.

Awww, you called me an arse.

If I actually had feelings, I'm sure they would be hurt.

So, would you have taken bets on the last two Spider bouts?

Because, my earnings with the last two fights have earned me a G.

How did you fair Mr. Mullet?
  21. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Awww, you called me an arse.

If i had feelings im sure they would be hurt.

So would you have taken bets on the last two Spider bouts?

Because, my earnings with the last two fights have earned me a G.

How did you fair Mr. Mullet?
    On this event, I won $850 with Anderson included in my parlay via Bet.US. Sonnen always had a legitimate chance to win, and I said as much in Volcom's thread, but not enough to be included as part of my line up. Whether I bet on him or not, though, does not change the fact he was drubbed the entire fight.

As I said, I just like to poke at you. Dance, monkey! Haha.
  22. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

On this event, I won $850 with Anderson included in my parlay via Bet.US. Sonnen always had a legitimate chance to win, and I said as much in Volcom's thread, but not enough to be included as part of my line up.

As I said, I just like to poke at you. Dance, monkey! Haha.

Save your money trick, I'm coming for it.
  23. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

Sonnen went up big time in my book. He man-handled Silva, even knocked him down with strikes. In the end we all know he lost the fight but like others have pointed out he basically raped silva for 4 1/2 rounds then lost just like the same way he always does by sub. Even Silva got on his knees and bowed to him after the fight. Not trying to take anything away from Silva, he is a great fighter and a true champion but sh1t Chael shoulda just kept fighting it till he either passed out or got out of the hold.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  233 lbs.

I think I saw Kris talk about money and his wallet 8 times scrolling through this thread. All I gotta say shut up tool bag no one cares, you think you are the only one to come up big? I made 11 grand on the world cup alone. at one point i was up 14.5.
  25. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by bigwhiteguy29 View Post
    I think I saw Kris talk about money and his wallet 8 times scrolling through this thread. All I gotta say shut up tool bag no one cares, you think you are the only one to come up big? I made 11 grand on the world cup alone. at one point i was up 14.5.
    I'm going to take this opportunity to sip on my hateraid

Nice dude, that's effing ridiculous.
    NSCA - CSCS
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.

yeah dude nobody gives a flying f### how much "the spider" won you from retard friends at the bar, who were dumb enough to bet $$$ on a 9 to 1 underdog with an even payout for both sides. if you would have placed the bet online or anywhere else with a -600 you would have only won a fraction of that half g.
  27. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.

And I thought I was bad in terms of making excuses for GSP.

This rib injury is utter nonsense, and truly robs a fighter of the performance of his career - even in coming up short.
    If you believe the rib injury is utter nonsense then you did not pay attention to the fight very well.

End of round one....Silva walking back to corner....corner man attempts to help him by grabbing his arm....Silva pulls his arm away....points to his ribs on his right side and says something like....."lay off, my ribs bloody hurt!"

WAS THIS UTTER NONSENSE?
  28. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Next!
    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post

My ****ing thread, these two are right, everyone else the **** out.

29. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Sonnen went up big time in my book. He man-handled Silva, even knocked him down with strikes. In the end we all know he lost the fight but like others have pointed out he basically raped silva for 4 1/2 rounds then lost just like the same way he always does by sub. Even Silva got on his knees and bowed to him after the fight. Not trying to take anything away from Silva, he is a great fighter and a true champion but sh1t Chael shoulda just kept fighting it till he either passed out or got out of the hold.
    I realize some fighters cut and bruise easier than others but considering Sonnen raped.....more like simply controlled Silva and Marquart, Sonnen"s face is the one that got beat up or "raped" as you call it.

I wanted Silva to lose like many others but I am not a fan of fighters who simply control for the decision and are absolutely lost at how to do damage or lost when it comes to finishing the fight.

I guess what I am saying is I don't have much appreciation for the control type decision wins that Sonnen and Fitch have become famous for or what Evans did with the Rampage fight. If the fighter on the bottom does most of the damage then there is clearly something wrong,
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Another thing to realize is scar tissue. Just looking at Sonnen's face u can tell that man has a lot of scar tissue. A guy who is a perfect example of scar tissue is Forrest Griffin. What does he do all the time? Bleed and look like he just got hit in the face with a hammer.

Obviously certain fighting styles are going to lead to more scar tissue. Im sure we all can think of a few guys who have limited scar tissue.
  31. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.

Quote:

How did Anderson Silva submit Chael Sonnen?

For Sonnen and those close to him, that question will linger at least until the next time he gets another crack at the UFC middleweight championship. If, that is, he gets one.

"For 23 minutes, he didn't get triangled," said veteran fighter and trainer Matt Lindland, who worked Sonnen's corner during the fight Saturday in Oakland, Calif. "For one second, he did. You've got to stay focused for 25 minutes, not 23. That's all it was."

Sonnen has now tapped out five times in his career when confronted with the triangle/armbar position, raising questions not only about his ability to maintain focus throughout the duration of a fight, but also his technical proficiency when it comes to submission application and defense.

It was among the funnier lines Sonnen tossed out. He doesn't train jiu-jitsu, he said, because Republicans don't fight from their back with another man between their legs. But was he serious? Was it possible one of the best fighters in the world couldn't be bothered with a staple discipline of the sport?

As always, Sonnen's life is an exercise in semantics.

"Jiu-jitsu is a sport that you train that you have a gi on," said his chief strategist Robert Follis. "He doesn't train jiu-jitsu. Matt Lindland has never done jiu-jitsu, and he tapped out quite a few legitimate black belts on the ground. It's a positional game and a fight on the ground."

And yet, Sonnen keeps getting caught. Just last year Demian Maia locked in one of the finest triangles you'll ever see.

Silva and his camp noticed.

"We saw just that sometimes Sonnen gets too confident with his punching and he opens holes," said Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, the heavyweight great who awarded Silva his black belt in BJJ.

The idea was for Silva to establish his guard -- he told people in his locker room before the fight that he would be taken down and would have to win the fight from his back -- and allow Sonnen to punch himself into a bad position.

Nogueira said he saw Silva attempt what they worked on in camp seven times before the final round. Each try was shut down when Sonnen made sure to stay in tight or back out. But in the fifth round, which Nogueira couldn't bring himself to watch as he "kept his head down and prayed," Silva finally nailed it.

For a full 30 seconds before sneaking his left leg across the top of Sonnen's neck to lock down the choke, Silva maintained wrist control on Sonnen's right arm -- a major error that led to the tap as much as any lapse in focus.

"He should have recognized that wrist control and peeled the hands," Lindland said.

But Sonnen didn't. Not only that, but he also continued to throw his left hand at Silva's head, which is exactly what the champion and his team hoped for after watching film of the strong wrestler.

"Anderson has long legs and Sonnen was really inside his guard," Nogueira said. "He was too outside or too inside. He was never in the middle. And in the middle of the position is when you find the time to submit a guy. Anderson held his arm and wrist and let Sonnen punch and get confidence. He put himself in the middle position and Anderson took the chance to take his knee outside so it was one arm in, one arm out so he could do the triangle."

Silva, Nogueira said, promised just before stepping in the Octagon that the finish would happen like that. Among the many memorable things that came out of Sonnen's mouth during the lead-up to the fight, nothing upset Silva as much as the challenger's disrespect of the Nogueira brothers' brand of Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Earning a black belt from the Nogueiras is like a finding a toy with a Happy Meal, Sonnen joked.

"It was a crazy thing Sonnen did," Nogueira said.

After returning from Oakland to Los Angeles on Sunday, Silva watched a replay of UFC 117 with his manager, Ed Soares. As he sat through the four-plus-round war with his fighter, Soares said Silva had just one reaction: "Wow, that's a hell of a fight. Sonnen really took it to me."

During the bout's roughest patches, Silva thought about God, his family and the sacrifices he underwent on his road to becoming MMA's dominant middleweight, he told his manager.

"In this fight, Anderson showed he was human," Nogueira said. "He showed he could be weak. But he showed he is a fighter and he brings something from his heart. It was beautiful."

The injury
    Six days before submitting Sonnen, Silva called Soares 13 times in 25 minutes because he didn't know what to do.

The champion was in excruciating pain after suffering what he would soon learn were bruised ribs during a training session that Friday. As the sun came out on Aug. 1 following a sleepless night, Silva was apparently having trouble breathing and Soares took him to an emergency room.

That's why he didn't corner Mark Munoz against Yushin Okami in San Diego.

Soares demanded that Silva rest, watch TV and relax. "Why are you going to sit in a car two hours down to San Diego and two hours back?" the manager told his fighter.

Silva was laid up in bed Sunday and Monday. Tuesday they traveled to Oakland and he didn't train again until Wednesday night.

Lasting through a brutal opening five minutes against Sonnen, Silva slowly retreated to his corner between rounds, pointed to his ribs and winced. Soares said the champion couldn't take full breaths, and that his core strength had been severely degraded.

Doctors told Silva immediately after the fight that it was difficult to see the extent of his injury. He'll visit a specialist in Los Angeles this week to compare X-rays taken on fight night against those zapped on Aug. 1. Chances are he won't compete again until 2011.

I GUESS THE RIB EXCUSE IT UTTER NONSENSE. lol.
    I HAVE EXPERIENCED BRUISED RIBS. THEY ARE ALMOST COMPLETELY IMMOBILIZING. YOU CAN HARDLY BREATHE A COMPLETE BREATH AND BARELY MOVE.

In a re match, a healthy Silva will knock Sonnen out in the first round. Silva saw everything Sonnen was throwing at him...he just couldn't react properly.
  32. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.

And another excuse for his poor performance, what a class act champion.
  33. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Waaaa, stfu. That's bull****.
  34. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

There is nothing likable about Silva.
  35. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  197 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Enantato View Post
    There is nothing likable about Silva.
    Except of course his incredible "Matrix like" fighting ability.....speed....accuracy.

I hate his ego too.
  36. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

His ribs probably hurt from getting taken down and then punched in the ribs.
  37. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote:

How did Anderson Silva submit Chael Sonnen?

For Sonnen and those close to him, that question will linger at least until the next time he gets another crack at the UFC middleweight championship. If, that is, he gets one.

"For 23 minutes, he didn't get triangled," said veteran fighter and trainer Matt Lindland, who worked Sonnen's corner during the fight Saturday in Oakland, Calif. "For one second, he did. You've got to stay focused for 25 minutes, not 23. That's all it was."

Sonnen has now tapped out five times in his career when confronted with the triangle/armbar position, raising questions not only about his ability to maintain focus throughout the duration of a fight, but also his technical proficiency when it comes to submission application and defense.

It was among the funnier lines Sonnen tossed out. He doesn't train jiu-jitsu, he said, because Republicans don't fight from their back with another man between their legs. But was he serious? Was it possible one of the best fighters in the world couldn't be bothered with a staple discipline of the sport?

As always, Sonnen's life is an exercise in semantics.

"Jiu-jitsu is a sport that you train that you have a gi on," said his chief strategist Robert Follis. "He doesn't train jiu-jitsu. Matt Lindland has never done jiu-jitsu, and he tapped out quite a few legitimate black belts on the ground. It's a positional game and a fight on the ground."

And yet, Sonnen keeps getting caught. Just last year Demian Maia locked in one of the finest triangles you'll ever see.

Silva and his camp noticed.

"We saw just that sometimes Sonnen gets too confident with his punching and he opens holes," said Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, the heavyweight great who awarded Silva his black belt in BJJ.

The idea was for Silva to establish his guard -- he told people in his locker room before the fight that he would be taken down and would have to win the fight from his back -- and allow Sonnen to punch himself into a bad position.

Nogueira said he saw Silva attempt what they worked on in camp seven times before the final round. Each try was shut down when Sonnen made sure to stay in tight or back out. But in the fifth round, which Nogueira couldn't bring himself to watch as he "kept his head down and prayed," Silva finally nailed it.

For a full 30 seconds before sneaking his left leg across the top of Sonnen's neck to lock down the choke, Silva maintained wrist control on Sonnen's right arm -- a major error that led to the tap as much as any lapse in focus.

"He should have recognized that wrist control and peeled the hands," Lindland said.

But Sonnen didn't. Not only that, but he also continued to throw his left hand at Silva's head, which is exactly what the champion and his team hoped for after watching film of the strong wrestler.

"Anderson has long legs and Sonnen was really inside his guard," Nogueira said. "He was too outside or too inside. He was never in the middle. And in the middle of the position is when you find the time to submit a guy. Anderson held his arm and wrist and let Sonnen punch and get confidence. He put himself in the middle position and Anderson took the chance to take his knee outside so it was one arm in, one arm out so he could do the triangle."

Silva, Nogueira said, promised just before stepping in the Octagon that the finish would happen like that. Among the many memorable things that came out of Sonnen's mouth during the lead-up to the fight, nothing upset Silva as much as the challenger's disrespect of the Nogueira brothers' brand of Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

Earning a black belt from the Nogueiras is like a finding a toy with a Happy Meal, Sonnen joked.

"It was a crazy thing Sonnen did," Nogueira said.

After returning from Oakland to Los Angeles on Sunday, Silva watched a replay of UFC 117 with his manager, Ed Soares. As he sat through the four-plus-round war with his fighter, Soares said Silva had just one reaction: "Wow, that's a hell of a fight. Sonnen really took it to me."

During the bout's roughest patches, Silva thought about God, his family and the sacrifices he underwent on his road to becoming MMA's dominant middleweight, he told his manager.

"In this fight, Anderson showed he was human," Nogueira said. "He showed he could be weak. But he showed he is a fighter and he brings something from his heart. It was beautiful."

The injury
    Six days before submitting Sonnen, Silva called Soares 13 times in 25 minutes because he didn't know what to do.

The champion was in excruciating pain after suffering what he would soon learn were bruised ribs during a training session that Friday. As the sun came out on Aug. 1 following a sleepless night, Silva was apparently having trouble breathing and Soares took him to an emergency room.

That's why he didn't corner Mark Munoz against Yushin Okami in San Diego.

Soares demanded that Silva rest, watch TV and relax. "Why are you going to sit in a car two hours down to San Diego and two hours back?" the manager told his fighter.

Silva was laid up in bed Sunday and Monday. Tuesday they traveled to Oakland and he didn't train again until Wednesday night.

Lasting through a brutal opening five minutes against Sonnen, Silva slowly retreated to his corner between rounds, pointed to his ribs and winced. Soares said the champion couldn't take full breaths, and that his core strength had been severely degraded.

Doctors told Silva immediately after the fight that it was difficult to see the extent of his injury. He'll visit a specialist in Los Angeles this week to compare X-rays taken on fight night against those zapped on Aug. 1. Chances are he won't compete again until 2011.

I GUESS THE RIB EXCUSE IT UTTER NONSENSE. lol.
    I HAVE EXPERIENCED BRUISED RIBS. THEY ARE ALMOST COMPLETELY IMMOBILIZING. YOU CAN HARDLY BREATHE A COMPLETE BREATH AND BARELY MOVE.

In a re match, a healthy Silva will knock Sonnen out in the first round. Silva saw everything Sonnen was throwing at him...he just couldn't react properly.
    First, drop the pretense: you come off like a condescending ass despite the fact you are not presenting some verifiable evidence, but the opinions of Anderson Silva and his camp. These are no more valid than my opinion on the situation.

Second, I have honestly never seen such a blatant round of excuses from a champion before in my entire life.

"Oh, I was not having my face beaten in for 23 1/2 minutes, I was establishing guard!"

"No, no, ha, you thought Chael was using my face for a punching bag? Oh, gosh no silly goose! I was letting him punch himself out! Apparently you have never heard of the Rope-A-Dope strategy where you actually never put up a competent defense and your opponent doesn't get tired."

Third, even if we take for granted all Silva's post-fight attempts to salvage his 'untouchable' aura, the fact would remain that he tried and failed a strategy and technique for 23 1/2 minutes. Or in other words: due in no small part to his opponent, he was out-strategized, outworked and outfought for 23 1/2 minutes and capitalized at the great opportunity he was given.

This means, in order, that he is still a great champion, but is now exposed as having a glaring weakness in his game and entirely beatable. For whatever reason, in reaction to this news, individuals such as yourself are acting like they just found out Santa Clause is a hoax.
  38. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

You're completely disregarding the effect of adrenaline during a fight. I can't remember 90% of the **** that happens during an exchange or a scramble during a fight because you're in flight mode. Saying that he saw the punches, but didn't do anything about them because he couldn't is just retarded. He could still keep his hands up, slip, or counter the punches. Whatever happened to Silva's vaunted sense of range and timing? He got the **** kicked out of him for over 4 1/2 rounds and then made excuses. That's not a real champion in my eyes.

Sonnen needs to start training with some better submission grapplers. Matt Hume isn't far from him and is one of the premier MMA coaches/catch wrestlers.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  39. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.

Except of course his incredible "Matrix like" fighting ability.....speed....accuracy.

I hate his ego too.
    He looked just like Keanu in that fight. :unamused:
  40. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Reputation Reputation

His ribs hurt bad enough to open each round with a jumping side kick. That's the healthiest case of hurt ribs I've ever heard of.
    NSCA - CSCS

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 11:23 AM
  2. Sonnen tests positive for PED's
    By Sweekaters in forum MMA
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 09-29-2010, 12:48 PM
  3. Silva vs Sonnen
    By bluehealer in forum MMA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 02:09 PM