Strikeforce 4/17

M

mh625

Awards
Just wanted to see what u guys thought about the upcoming strikeforce event. I personally think it is a very good main card. It sucks I won't get to watch it since I am in Afganistan. I don't think they will air it on afn like they do the ufc events. All I am saying is go Hendo, he is facing a very durable opponent though in Jake Sheilds. I see it ending with a heavy Henderson right hand.

The other bout that is interesting is The Mousasi/Lawal bout I just don't know how this one will turn out guess I will have to read about it.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
Hendo fight should be great. Hopefully he beats Jake and then Jake will be heading to the UFC.
I'm really looking forward to Gilbert Melendez vs. Shinya Aoki. This will give everyone an idea of how Aoki would stand up against a lot of the UFC LWs, IMO.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am anxious to see it after missing the last UFC ppv.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I am not looking forward to this due to Aoki not being able to wear his bright yellow tights

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Real nice card, especially for free. Oh how I hope for an Aoki loss

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
most important fight is mo/gegard. this will show if mo is really as good as he looked the past couple fights. also this is the last fight on gegard's M1 contract so will we see him in the ufc??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
most important fight is mo/gegard. this will show if mo is really as good as he looked the past couple fights. also this is the last fight on gegard's M1 contract so will we see him in the ufc??
He still has fights left on his contract with SF/Dream, but I can't find anything about the exact number.

P

purelife1

should be a good card...looks like thier may card on showtime will be better

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He still has fights left on his contract with SF/Dream, but I can't find anything about the exact number.
I believe I read somewhere, that it was relatively short, but that his people are in renegotiations with SF. Kinda curious to see how good Mo is.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere the Gegard signed another relatively lengthy contract with strikeforce.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere the Gegard signed another relatively lengthy contract with strikeforce.
that suuuuucks he definitely has the talent to clean out ufc's 205, no offense to any ufc fan boys in attendance here

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
that suuuuucks he definitely has the talent to clean out ufc's 205, no offense to any ufc fan boys in attendance here
Aoki can't wear his threads on CBS? bunch uh racists man.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I think Lawal might be a handful for the dutch.
gegard is armenian he used to fight on a dutch team, you gotta watch some of his fights. Mo has been fighting cans like Kerr and mike whitehead. Mo is very quick and has amazing wrestling and crisp boxing, but gegard is definitely a complete package. plus he trains with fedor. ok done swinging on nuts

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am excited to see the Gegard/Mo fight, but I think it benefits Mo much more than Gegard. If Mo even stays competitive with Gegard, his stock rises; Gegard, however, has to put Mo away convincingly to keep his mystique up.

K

Kegger

Awards
True, but SF and Dream almost always have open contracts which means he is free to fight anywhere as long as he fullfills his obligations to SF and/or Dream. That means if Dana REALLY wants him that bad, he will need to have a similar contract.....which I don't see happening.:irked:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
True, but SF and Dream almost always have open contracts which means he is free to fight anywhere as long as he fullfills his obligations to SF and/or Dream. That means if Dana REALLY wants him that bad, he will need to have a similar contract.....which I don't see happening.:irked:
Not on their top talent. They generally have contracts that allow them to only fight in the US for SF and in Japan for Dream.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
that suuuuucks he definitely has the talent to clean out ufc's 205, no offense to any ufc fan boys in attendance here[/QUOTL

Plenty of people have the talent to do things. Mousasi has beaten a washed up Babalu and Sokoudjou... I really don't see how he has proven himself at LHW much. I just don't get the dikkriding before proving anything mentality. He hasn't beaten a top ten LHW and a lot of ppl have him ranked at #4 or 5.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
that suuuuucks he definitely has the talent to clean out ufc's 205, no offense to any ufc fan boys in attendance here[/QUOTL

Plenty of people have the talent to do things. Mousasi has beaten a washed up Babalu and Sokoudjou... I really don't see how he has proven himself at LHW much. I just don't get the dikkriding before proving anything mentality. He hasn't beaten a top ten LHW and a lot of ppl have him ranked at #4 or 5.
he had a few fights besides that...submitted big a$$ Mark Hunt, upkicked Jacare to death, triangled Manhoef, triangled Kang, decisioned Hector Lombard who is a monster. hes got a bunch of fight experience even though it may be against guys that dont make headlines. ive also watched his grappling and kickboxing matches. he hasnt fought too many top opponents because they havent given them to him, there is always the build up proccess and the organizations hes fought in dont have the popular names that UFC does.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
plus he trains with Fedor!!! is that not enough??!?

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well......Mousasi signed for 2 more years.

My predictions for the main 3 fights tonight:
Henderson via UD (in what could be a boring fight)
Mousasi via sub rd2
Aoki :aargh: via sub rd 2

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
he had a few fights besides that...submitted big a$$ Mark Hunt, upkicked Jacare to death, triangled Manhoef, triangled Kang, decisioned Hector Lombard who is a monster. hes got a bunch of fight experience even though it may be against guys that dont make headlines. ive also watched his grappling and kickboxing matches. he hasnt fought too many top opponents because they havent given them to him, there is always the build up proccess and the organizations hes fought in dont have the popular names that UFC does.
You seem to assume everyone only watches UFC. I've seen all of his fights. Jacare fight didn't really prove much, Manhoef has great striking but is easy to sub, Kang has proved he is nothing special, Lombard is a great wrestler, but all of those fighters are middleweights was my point. At LHW he hasn't done anything yet. I think its way premature to say he can clean out the ufc 205 division. I always preferred Pride over the UFC and now the UFC is getting even worse, but clean out 205 meh. That **** is stacked. I don't think you'd have to be a "ufc fanboy" to think thats way premature. He's definitely talented, I just need to see more of him at 205. Mo is a solid test for him. I'm actually picking Mo to upset him via superior wrestling and athleticism. Lets just hope Mousasi doesn't run into Gono:tongue2:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Hendo via TKO
Mo via unanimous dec
Melendez via TKO

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I say KING...you say MO! I called that ****t. Mousasi is ridiculously overrated. He can easily clean out the ufc lhw division, but he can't fukk with MO, hahaha. Thanks Mo, won me 150 bucks on betus as well.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
People rag on Mike Goldberg, and rightfully so, but given the alternative of SF's broadcast team, I will take him. Renallo and Shamrock semi-bickering throughout the analysis was distracting, and Renallo truly looked like a moron as the broadcast was coming to a close and he was jockeying for position with Jake Shields so he could say how "disgusting" Mayhem Miller was.

While the UFC's production value will never compare to PRIDE's, or even DREAM's for that matter, SF looked like a rink-a-dink promotion in comparison tonight. The broadcast ran too long, the analysts were just horrid and it looked as if I built the walk-in ramp and exit.

As for the fights, I am a bit confused as to whether Mousassi, Aoki and Henderson underperformed, or if Mo, Melendez and Shields were truly better. I think the a little of both for each fight, though I feel Melendez just exposed Aoki for a one-dimensional grappler who is lost when there is a cage to cut off his angles, and negate his sub attempts.

Shields' performance drummed up a bit more interest in a potential GSP/Shields match-up should Shields sign with the UFC - which he probably will - though his stand-up looked a bit rudimentary. Given that Shields could take Henderson down, it would be interesting to see how the fight with GSP would play out. I still have a feeling that GSP's more dynamic stand-up and better athleticism - speaking in comparison to Hendo - would put Shields in trouble, but he is a credible threat at 170, something the UFC desperately needs.

Melendez really did fight the perfect fight against Aoki, and I wish he would have mangled his face into oblivion. I hate Aoki, Melendez was much better. Enough said!

L

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
plus he trains with Fedor!!! is that not enough??!?
Fedor Who? Mousse assi sure looked like a can himself....worse than many of the cans he has beaten. I have no loyalty to the UFC but let's call a spade a spade! Most of the talent that so called champions in strikeforce etc., are fighting UFC rejects or UFC wannabes. When you fight lower level competition it makes you look good. Even sexyama came to UFC to fight the best.

Mousasi and Mo both looked like beginners in there. Sheilds layed an preyed and could not finish even with a full mount with those pillow hands of his. The list goes on and on.

Fedor needs to step up and shut up and the nuthuggers need a good dose of reality. The cream rises to the top and for now the UFC has most of the top level competition. There is tons of money for him to make in the UFC if he is as good as he likes to think he is and everyone needs to stop using money as an excuse and realize he's hand picking his fights.

Yeah Yeah Yeah....he beat Crop Cop and Nogeira and now their both conveniently past their prime since they are in the UFC and truly fully exposed.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What was all that at the end? I only caught like 2 seconds of it because of the Mrs...lol

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man StrikeForce is some BS with running over a good 30 minutes. I tried tivoing it and added an extra 10 minutes so I only saw 5 minutes of the fight. Boo Shields winning though. He would have no chance against GSP.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First, I cant predict for anything. Got all 3 wrong :tsk:

Second, props to Melendez for a smart plan and sticking to it.

Third, Mousasi was downright awful, showed little to nothing standing or off his back. Horribly boring fight

Finally, I give credit to Shields for being smart, but Dan looked 39. I will be interested to see Jake in the UFC regardless of weight

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
People rag on Mike Goldberg, and rightfully so, but given the alternative of SF's broadcast team, I will take him. Renallo and Shamrock semi-bickering throughout the analysis was distracting, and Renallo truly looked like a moron as the broadcast was coming to a close and he was jockeying for position with Jake Shields so he could say how "disgusting" Mayhem Miller was.

While the UFC's production value will never compare to PRIDE's, or even DREAM's for that matter, SF looked like a rink-a-dink promotion in comparison tonight. The broadcast ran too long, the analysts were just horrid and it looked as if I built the walk-in ramp and exit.

As for the fights, I am a bit confused as to whether Mousassi, Aoki and Henderson underperformed, or if Mo, Melendez and Shields were truly better. I think the a little of both for each fight, though I feel Melendez just exposed Aoki for a one-dimensional grappler who is lost when there is a cage to cut off his angles, and negate his sub attempts.

Shields' performance drummed up a bit more interest in a potential GSP/Shields match-up should Shields sign with the UFC - which he probably will - though his stand-up looked a bit rudimentary. Given that Shields could take Henderson down, it would be interesting to see how the fight with GSP would play out. I still have a feeling that GSP's more dynamic stand-up and better athleticism - speaking in comparison to Hendo - would put Shields in trouble, but he is a credible threat at 170, something the UFC desperately needs.

Melendez really did fight the perfect fight against Aoki, and I wish he would have mangled his face into oblivion. I hate Aoki, Melendez was much better. Enough said!

COuldnt agree more. The production value was awful, and I had it on mute. Couldnt stand to listen to them Hell Renallo at the beginning was talking about Mo's positioning and had no idea what he was referencing.

I also think Shields becomes a viable option to the UFC at either weight. (I have to eat crow here) He is a bit awkward, but his wrestling was FAR better than I thought. He took Dan down at will, something I have not seen happen. Dan looked outclassed in rounds 2-5

L

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
A lot of fans preferred the SF broadcast team to Goldberg/Rogan's biased bs.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lot of fans preferred the SF broadcast team to Goldberg/Rogan's biased bs.
Ah, you must be referring to Shamrock's neutrality? Could not agree more. The way he remained neutral for the Cung Le, Diaz and Shields fight was very professional. Please note the heavy, heavy sarcasm here.

I also think Shields becomes a viable option to the UFC at either weight. (I have to eat crow here) He is a bit awkward, but his wrestling was FAR better than I thought. He took Dan down at will, something I have not seen happen. Dan looked outclassed in rounds 2-5
I am definitely interested in seeing him in the UFC, but with that being said, GSP most likely crushes him as well. Hendo was a great wrestler, but I had thought GSP was the best MMA-wrestler for some time, and Shields simply does not seem athletic enough to contend in that area. As well, Henderson is terrible off his back - see A. Silva fight - and I suspect GSP would not have similar issues. This being said, I still think they should bring Shields in to face the winner of Fitch/Alves for a title shot.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Shields/Fitch could be a bore-fest, but Alves/Shields has a little more fire power imo.

Hendo looked lost off of his back, I was surprised that he was that bad

As an aside, I was thrilled to see Aoki lose the way he did. He is not in the league of the elite at 155

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
COuldnt agree more. The production value was awful, and I had it on mute. Couldnt stand to listen to them Hell Renallo at the beginning was talking about Mo's positioning and had no idea what he was referencing.

Dan has been taken down most of his career by far worse wrestlers than Shields. Even Dan knew he'd be on his back some of that fight, but he didn't expect to get raped. I was banking on an early KO, which almost happened, oh well.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ah, you must be referring to Shamrock's neutrality? Could not agree more. The way he remained neutral for the Cung Le, Diaz and Shields fight was very professional. Please note the heavy, heavy sarcasm here.

I am definitely interested in seeing him in the UFC, but with that being said, GSP most likely crushes him as well. Hendo was a great wrestler, but I had thought GSP was the best MMA-wrestler for some time, and Shields simply does not seem athletic enough to contend in that area. As well, Henderson is terrible off his back - see A. Silva fight - and I suspect GSP would not have similar issues. This being said, I still think they should bring Shields in to face the winner of Fitch/Alves for a title shot.
Hey Mullet: I told you Shields would have something for just about anyone in the world. I knew I coulod seem a little biased before in our discussions because of my affiliation but I'm glad now you realize what i've been saying about Jake all along. HE is that good. NOT saying he would beat GSP but saying he is a match for ANYONE in the world. Interesting thing is we have not seen GSP on his back in a while I belive since Koshcheck? so we don't know how he will do Shields is as big as GSP and this could get very very interesting

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Mullet: I told you Shields would have something for just about anyone in the world. I knew I coulod seem a little biased before in our discussions because of my affiliation but I'm glad now you realize what i've been saying about Jake all along. HE is that good. NOT saying he would beat GSP but saying he is a match for ANYONE in the world. Interesting thing is we have not seen GSP on his back in a while I belive since Koshcheck? so we don't know how he will do Shields is as big as GSP and this could get very very interesting
Well, I really would not go that far. Henderson has always been terrible off his back, and that was my mistake for forgetting that. Against Silva, against Rampage, etc., he seemed lost off his back. Still though, great fight by Shields.

GSP has been on his back for (I believe) three minutes in his last ~150 minutes of fighting: once against Kos, a minute against Fitch, and a minute against Alves after pulling his groin. If Kos and Fitch were incapable of keeping him there, I doubt that Shields would fare any better. That is also assuming Shields could get him there w/o being stuffed and/or reversed, or even more likely, put on his back prior to that.

Shields was great last night, but his style mirrors GSP's, except for the fact GSP is excellent at everything Shields is reasonably good at! All this being said, Shields is still a credible threat to GSP which is something the UFC still needs. I am interested in seeing GSP tested.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Shields was great last night, but his style mirrors GSP's, except for the fact GSP is excellent at everything Shields is reasonably good at! All this being said, Shields is still a credible threat to GSP which is something the UFC still needs. I am interested in seeing GSP tested.
yeah see last time we talked you said shields would have nothing to offer GSP and now you realize him as a threat. and you are correct getting GSP on his back is a horrific task for anyone. It was never my intent to say JAKE would win against GSP but I have always believed that it wouldn't be a walk over like many people used to say.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
mix, I gotta give you credit. I was not a believer in shields at all. However, he impressed the hell out of me last night. I would love to see him in the UFC at either 170 or 185.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah see last time we talked you said shields would have nothing to offer GSP and now you realize him as a threat. and you are correct getting GSP on his back is a horrific task for anyone. It was never my intent to say JAKE would win against GSP but I have always believed that it wouldn't be a walk over like many people used to say.
Haha, I think you may be misunderstanding what I'm saying! By "credible" threat I mean: somebody he has not beaten, who can defend the TD, and has decent JJ. See what I am driving at? He certainly has more to offer than any of the current UFC WWs, but whether or not that is saying much is up for debate.

I am not disparaging Shields by saying a potential GSP fight is a wash, as I think he may very well dominate most other WWs, and you are right in that respect, but it is simply a horrendous style match-up for him. He uses both his JJ and wrestling to control opponents from the top position, and that is his only threat. Just not a good match up for him at all, and that is not a comment on his skill set.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Shields will get raped by GSP. I also believe GSP would finish it this time. In fact, GSP would've beaten either of those 2.

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established

*iz laughing*

Jessep76

Jessep76

Awards
  • Established
What was all that at the end? I only caught like 2 seconds of it because of the Mrs...lol
google jake mayhem scuffle. there's some great video up.
Looks like Nick was getting his riot beatdown on. you can see him holding on to mayhem's lower body while someone else has his upper body and nick is putting the spurs to his kidneys. Kinda funny though..for a bunch of mixed martial artists they didn't do much to mayhem, granted they had people pulling them off. To see the smile on Dana's face if he were watching it would have been priceless. Except its probably gonna set back all of MMA as a result. Looked like a school cafeteria fight in Watts.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
google jake mayhem scuffle. there's some great video up.
Looks like Nick was getting his riot beatdown on. you can see him holding on to mayhem's lower body while someone else has his upper body and nick is putting the spurs to his kidneys. Kinda funny though..for a bunch of mixed martial artists they didn't do much to mayhem, granted they had people pulling them off. To see the smile on Dana's face if he were watching it would have been priceless. Except its probably gonna set back all of MMA as a result. Looked like a school cafeteria fight in Watts.
lol i think Nate or someone else was getting head kicks in on Mayhem

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I doubt it has large ramifications for MMA in general. In reality, Strikeforce and Strikeforce only will suffer from this, and CBS may review their presence on network television overall.

SF royally and impressively fucked up this whole endeavor: they bet the farm on Dan Henderson, banked on three title fights being interesting, and delivered a boring, tedious and drawn-out broadcast while losing their champion in the process.