Best MMA Fighter of all time?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

Best MMA Fighter of all time?

I still don't have my own lists but would you consider Randy Couture as number 1? Your thoughts on this.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  218 lbs.

Anderson Silva hands down. went up a class and dominated and still dominates in his class. Nobody can give him a run for his money.
  3. Registered User

Kazushi Sakuraba and Fedor Emelianenko are the two best ever in my opinion with with honorable mention to Royce Gracie.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

I would love to see a Fedor vs Anderson fight! That would be epic. randy is great, and hes a legend and all that but hes obviously not the best of all time. Chuck Lidell blew him away twice and now Chuck is getting ktfo'd but thats besides the point. My vote right now would be on Fedor though. Anderson is great right now but besides his KO of Forrest his recent fights were boring and not really that impressive. We will see how this next fight goes. But yeah Fedor definitely, he looks good in every single fight he is in, dominates everyone, and is never in trouble cept for that punch from Fujita which he recovered from and then finished and then that illegal elbow. The only negative for Fedor is he is not fighting the best of the best at this point in his career, although finishing Tim Sylvia, Arlovski, and Rogers is no small feat in itself. He will fight Werdum and win that easy, then hopefully he fights Overeem. Then maybe we will be lucky enough to see him go to the UFC although im not holding my breath for that.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  212 lbs.

We'll find out when the UFC starts doing superfights. From Lightweight up to Middleweight the champions have dominated ruthlessly... only two undecided division are LHW and HW as far as the ufc goes.. both have great champions but both can be beat in their weight class methinks. But I'm not saying the UFC is the only organization that has fighters that could be considered the best ever. Obviously Fedor is in contention, even though he hasn't fought the greatest competition as of late, in the glory days of Pride he had as many battles as any. He's so composed it's scary. I also love how all the Brett Roger's camp siad Roger's sweeped Fedor when Fedor was going for that Kimura... what a joke.
  6. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Easy answer to this:

"The Last Emperor"
    Emelianenko, Fedor
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  212 lbs.

The Natural is up there, but I wouldn't consider him the best ever, moreso he revolutionized the sport and adapting wrestling to MMA. Plus he took down The Phenom when he was still a powerhouse and looked like he did shrugs 10 hours a day.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy1982 View Post
    Kazushi Sakuraba and Fedor Emelianenko are the two best ever in my opinion with with honorable mention to Royce Gracie.
    I'm a huge Saku fan, but I don't think he's the best ever. He's definitely one of the most entertaining ever though!

Best EVER = Fedor.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  160 lbs.

best ever is a tough one as i haven't seen everyone like that kazushi guy, but I will make a list.

Fedor
    Gracie
    BJ Penn
    Randy Couture
    George St. Pierre
    Matt Hughes
    Anderson Silva
    Chuck Liddell
    Dan Severn
    Ken Shamrock
    Dan Henderson
    Noguiera
    Cro Cop

I think Penn, George and Silva will move up on this list. I can also see Shane Carwin, Jon Bones Jones, and Cain Valesquez getting on this list within a couple years. Maybe Kenflo and Dan Hardy if they can beat some of the current list guys.
  10. Registered User

Right now I would say Fedor. But best of all time? I would have to say Carlson Gracie and Rickson Gracie. Both fought Vale Tudo in Brazil and each of them racked up between 500-600 fights without losing. While the level of competing today is much higher than it was way back when they were fighting, to be able to win that many fights without a loss is insane.
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegger View Post
    Right now I would say Fedor. But best of all time? I would have to say Carlson Gracie and Rickson Gracie. Both fought Vale Tudo in Brazil and each of them racked up between 500-600 fights without losing. While the level of competing today is much higher than it was way back when they were fighting, to be able to win that many fights without a loss is insane.
    Rickson's claims are highly disputed by not only skeptics, but by Helio Gracie himself.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Registered User

Also, a fighter that no body ever mentions, who is obviously under rated and should be in a top ten best ever list is......Bas "el Guapo" Rutten.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

<---Liver Kick!!!

I was going to suggest him too but I'm not sure what Pancrase is considered (different striking rules). I think I've seen ALL of his fights. He was another very entertaining fighter to watch.

If we're going that route, then Frank Shamrock is not one of the best but he's noteworthy of what he's done for the sport in terms of being one of the first true Mixed Martial Artists. I'm not sure what others will say about that though, lol...

Rutten v F. Shamrock in Pancrase were fun fights (Frank was trying to bait Bas into an illegal strike...and it worked, lol). I think it was one of these fights that took them both to the outside of the ring too!

14. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Also, a fighter that no body ever mentions, who is obviously under rated and should be in a top ten best ever list is......Bas "el Guapo" Rutten.
    For me, it's hard to put him that high because all but 2 of his fights were in Pancrase. That and his "win" vs Randleman is one of the biggest BS decisions I've ever witnessed.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Rickson's claims are highly disputed by not only skeptics, but by Helio Gracie himself.
    Well the disputes have never been proven either I guess. And I have a hard time believing that the very father of the "Gracie family champion" would say that his own son is lying.

I don't doubt for a second that Rickson has had a least a few hundred matches. I have however seen newspaper articles and pictures of Carlson in many fights back in the 50's. He had those around his gym when I trained there a while back.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

There's hear-say that Rickson counted training and sparring sessions as a part of his winnings...not sure where I heard that from though...probably Joe Rogan, lol
  17. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Well the disputes have never been proven either I guess. And I have a hard time believing that the very father of the "Gracie family champion" would say that his own son is lying.

I don't doubt for a second that Rickson has had a least a few hundred matches. I have however seen newspaper articles and pictures of Carlson in many fights back in the 50's. He had those around his gym when I trained there a while back.
    "Hélio Gracie disputed Rickson's claim to have had over 400 fights. According to Hélio, Rickson has only competed in fights that are commonly known and reported: the two against Rei Zulu and those that took place in Japan. Hélio alleged that Rickson uses practice and amateur bouts to obtain a number over 400, and that if he counted his fights like Rickson does, he would have in excess of one million."

M.Ed. Ex Phys
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

That's funny that you mention that. I think Bas Rutten's career pack DVD only shows parts of his 2 UFC parts...

EDIT: We both posted at the same time. I've never seen that vid, so I still don't know where I heard that from...looks like the info was true though.
  19. Registered User

So according to Helio, amateur fights and tournaments don't count? Yeah ok.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

Nor do practice/training/sparring sessions...
  21. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by stxnas View Post
    Nor do practice/training/sparring sessions...
    Of course not! If that was the case then I'm way up there too....LOL

I find it extremely hard to believe that a guy as talented, well-known, and respected as Rickson Gracie would count sparring sessions as actual fights. If that were the case, then like Helio said himself, he would have over a million fights then.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

[QUOTE=khakiman;2359883]
    Fedor
    Gracie
    BJ Penn
    Randy Couture
    George St. Pierre
    Matt Hughes
    Anderson Silva
    Chuck Liddell
    Dan Severn
    Ken Shamrock
    Dan Henderson
    Noguiera
    Cro Cop

I think Penn, George and Silva will move up on this list. I can also see Shane Carwin, Jon Bones Jones, and Cain Valesquez getting on this list within a couple years. QUOTE]

i like your list, but i don't think Penn should be ahead of GSP, if they are in order. no way. Carwin and velazquez are going to become some of the best fighters within the next couple of years and the heavyweight division is going to explode. Bones Jones has a ton of talent also. im also glad nobody has mentioned Machida..thank god. everybody including him knows he lost to Shogun. Shogun won 4 of 5 rounds easily. Machida is very overrated and i dont think he could beat Rashad Evans again if they fought.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.

BJ and Randy
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  225 lbs.

somewhere on this list needs to be Hendo and the Axe Murderer
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  285 lbs.

Bruce Lee would have F*cked them all up. That is all...LMAO.

Ok to be serious...Anderson Silva is my personal favorite. However, I wouldn't call him the best ever. I think it is too hard to pick the best ever in all honesty. There have been few great fighters and a lot of good ones.

Cheers!
    "Never trust a b*tch because b*tches be crazy, now get out there and go crush some P***Y!" - Jerry Stiller.
  26. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

I dont know if I could choose a best ever. I can make an argument against any of the choices. I think when this generation of fighters is gone, i think it will be Anderson, especially if he succeeds at HW
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  187 lbs.

George St Pierre
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    "Hélio Gracie disputed Rickson's claim to have had over 400 fights. According to Hélio, Rickson has only competed in fights that are commonly known and reported: the two against Rei Zulu and those that took place in Japan. Hélio alleged that Rickson uses practice and amateur bouts to obtain a number over 400, and that if he counted his fights like Rickson does, he would have in excess of one million."

Don't question Tha Rodja when it comes to MMA facts. He hardly offers "opinions," it's usually objective facts.
    NSCA - CSCS
  29. Registered User

Fedya.....Nobody is even close at this point.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

Pft. No Tuffers allowed around here Alexander!
    Everybody knows Frank Trigg is the best ever. I heard he once RNC four guys in one tournament...at the same time!

April Fools.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The best fighter in the world
    By robdog in forum MMA
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 04:46 PM
  2. WEC Fighter Needs Sponsor!
    By truckdaddy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 02:38 PM
  3. Fedor... Best MMA Fighter of All Time?
    By CryingEmo in forum MMA
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 07-28-2008, 01:13 PM
  4. Who is the best all time MMA fighter?
    By vruge87 in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-26-2008, 12:37 PM
  5. Roids for a fighter
    By Einherjar in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 03:55 AM