Nick Diaz wants to fight GSP

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78138
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.4%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Nick Diaz wants to fight GSP


    Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz says Georges St-Pierre just fine for his next opponent

    by John Morgan on Feb 01, 2010 at 6:30 am ET
    For as much praise as new Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz (21-7 MMA, 3-0 SF) receives for his grappling prowess, it's his voluminous striking attack that has led to his most recent surge in popularity.

    Never was that more evident than in this past Saturday's "Strikeforce: Miami" main event, where Diaz defeated DREAM champ and vaunted striker Marius Zaromskis at his own game.

    Now the question for Diaz becomes, "What's next?" And the scrappy Californian isn't afraid to ask for the best.

    "I want to fight Georges St-Pierre," Diaz said. "That's the one fight I'm talking about."

    Calling out the UFC's welterweight champion may prove an exercise in futility for Diaz. The company has stood by its vow not to cross-promote with other organizations, and every effort by fans, media and "crazy Russians" to get UFC brass to waver has fallen short.

    Performances like Diaz's on Saturday night must get UFC president Dana White to at least take notice of the efforts of his former employee, but the likelihood of the exec offering up his champion is slim-to-none.

    In the meantime, Diaz will have to find targets within Strikeforce's grasp.

    Many observers believe Jay Hieron (19-4 MMA, 2-0 SF), who on Saturday fell victim to a technology failure and was once again unseen by fans not in attendance, should be next in line, but Diaz isn't so sure.

    "I'd rather fight someone that's a little more important than Jay Hieron," Diaz said. "His fight wasn't even on the main card. Why am I going to fight him when no one saw [his fight]? I don't even know who he is.

    "They keep bringing me these guys that nobody even knows who they are."

    While Diaz's recent Strikeforce victims Scott Smith and Frank Shamrock might beg to differ, Diaz has a point. While his latest win will undoubtedly garner him further respect in the worldwide rankings at 170-pounds, Strikeforce might find it difficult to convince the public that bright prospects like Andre Galvao (3-1 MMA, 0-0 SF) or Tyron Woodley (6-0 MMA, 3-0 SF) are prepared for the matchup.

    Fans have for years called for a rematch of a 2004 UFC bout between Diaz and current Strikeforce middleweight contender Robbie Lawler (17-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC), but the new 170-pound champion seemed to rule out that possibility.

    "I fought Robbie before, and we fight at different weights (now)," Diaz said. "But we're friends as far as I'm concerned, so I don't even want to talk about something like that.

    "Robbie Lawler's not talking [expletive] trying to fight me, so I'm not going to have anything bad to say about him."

    A rematch with former EliteXC foe K.J. Noons (7-2 MMA, 0-0 SF), a recent Strikeforce signee, is also possible. But the bout would almost certainly be a catchweight affair, something that neither fighter would necessarily be keen to, and Noons is creeping up on two years without a mixed martial arts contest – a fact not lost on Diaz.

    "Who is Noons?" Diaz asked. "He hasn't fought in forever. This guy doesn't even fight anymore. He quit. He's scared.

    "What's he going to do? Is he going to fight or what?"

    A rematch (or third meeting if you count their legendary post-fight hospital encounter) with Joe Riggs (32-11 MMA, 3-3 SF) was ruled out with "Diesel's" Saturday night loss to Hieron, so Diaz's next move is currently uncertain.

    Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker seems to think a bout with DREAM fighter Hayato "Mach" Sakurai (35-10-2 MMA, 0-0 SF) could prove fruitful, but with the 34-year-old mired in an 0-2 slump and lacking a bankable name in the U.S., there is certainly no guarantee that the promotion's broadcast partners will buy into the plan.

    So after notching his 10th win in his past 11 bouts, Diaz will sit back and wait for the smoke to clear. For his next appearance, Diaz asks only that his employers bring him the very best opponent – and paycheck – the sport has to offer.

    "I want to fight the best," Diaz said. "I want to fight the people who everybody thinks is the best out there because they don't seem to notice me. They don't put me on any magazines. They don't put my brother on any magazines.

    "Whoever you're going to pay me the most money to fight, I'm going to fight. ... I'm down to fight whoever."

    For more on "Strikeforce: Miami," check out the MMA Events section of MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com).
    Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz says Georges St-Pierre just fine for his next opponent | MMAjunkie.com

    In a theoretical GSP/Diaz, I give it to GSP. Though Diaz has the ground sub game on GSP, GSP has the TD and ground control on Diaz. I wouldn't see GSP keeping it standing, and I don't see Diaz being able to stop him (in said theoretical fight).
    NSCA - CSCS

  2. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317353
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    I'm so tired of Nick Diaz. He's a good fighter, but his antics are just annoying.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  3. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,509
    Rep Power
    1097385
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    Diaz wouldnt stnad a chance
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    johnnyjuice's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    621
    Rep Power
    391
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    2.67%

    rodja i feel the same as you! if he fights gsp i hope he beats his as@ good!
  5. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78138
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.4%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by iron fists View Post
    Diaz needs to beat noons before he can talk smack. Plus he fights guys that are 4-5 inches shorter than he is...thats why his hands look better than they are bacause he just stiff arms his punches. But if he really wanted some of gsp...he needs to got through at least three guys like kos, daily, saunders, alves etc.... he aint fightin nobody in strikeforce. Plus his brother did lose to gray...if you got 15 minutes to fight, then dont wait til 2 minutes left to try and finish..and then say you would have won if there were more time....omfg...gimme a break diaz bros...if you knock em out or tko em then it was a fluke, if you submit them then you got lucky, and if you win a descision then they got robbed because if they had another round they would have finished you. they got more excuses then anyone.
    Not more then Tito
    NSCA - CSCS
  6. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13734
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    33.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    lulz at thread title.

    I would watch, Diaz might hang for a round or two.

    I want Spider vs GSP.
  7. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78138
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.4%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    lulz at thread title.

    I would watch, Diaz might hang for a round or two.

    I want Spider vs GSP.
    I want Spider v GSP, too, but I get the feeling that we're sort of in the minority. Whenever this is brought up, I read a lot of people brushing GSP off as a non-competitor against Silva; too short, too small, too Canadian. Though all those facts may be true, I believe that stylistically, GSP is Silva's cryptonite.
    NSCA - CSCS
  8. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13734
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    33.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I want Spider v GSP, too, but I get the feeling that we're sort of in the minority. Whenever this is brought up, I read a lot of people brushing GSP off as a non-competitor against Silva; too short, too small, too Canadian. Though all those facts may be true, I believe that stylistically, GSP is Silva's cryptonite.
    oh, it would be a great fight.

    Though, i believe spider wins.
  9. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78138
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.4%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    oh, it would be a great fight.

    Though, i believe spider wins.
    I'm split on this. I do feel as a general statement, that Silva the superior fighter in comparison to GSP, but I give GSP the TD/ground control strength, where his strength so happens to be Silva's "seemingly" only weakness.

    I think a Silva/Machida fight would be even more epic (in theory), if they weren't friends.
    NSCA - CSCS
  10. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Rep Power
    13734
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    33.88%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I'm split on this. I do feel as a general statement, that Silva the superior fighter in comparison to GSP, but I give GSP the TD/ground control strength, where his strength so happens to be Silva's "seemingly" only weakness.

    I think a Silva/Machida fight would be even more epic (in theory), if they weren't friends.
    wont happen, you can take that to the bank.
  11. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78138
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.4%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    wont happen, you can take that to the bank.
    I know, thus the "(in theory)" caption
    NSCA - CSCS
  12. Advanced Member
    LiveWire224's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    543
    Rep Power
    358
    Level
    20
    Lv. Percent
    15.6%

    Yeah? What do you hear about Echevierra and the Diaz brodders? What about them? What about Gaspar Gomez? What is he gonna do when you start moving 2000 keys?



    F*ck Gaspar Gomez! And f*ck the f*ckin' Diaz brodders! f*ck 'em all! I bury those c0ckroaches! ! !
  13. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317353
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    lulz at thread title.

    I would watch, Diaz might hang for a round or two.

    I want Spider vs GSP.
    GSP/Andy probably will never happen because GSP is going to try out for the Olympics at 163 lbs.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  14. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,509
    Rep Power
    1097385
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I doubt Anderson/GSP happens for a variety of reasons, but the olympics being a big reason, and Anderson is naturally much bigger. I do not see that lasting very long for GSP.
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  15. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317353
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I doubt Anderson/GSP happens for a variety of reasons, but the olympics being a big reason, and Anderson is naturally much bigger. I do not see that lasting very long for GSP.
    GSP has just as good a chance as any other MW in the UFC. Andy's weakness is TD defense and GSP's strength is TD/GnP. Size would go to Andy, but I'd actually give the strength to GSP, especially since he works with so many other guys that are bigger than him and they all talk about his strength.

    Total side note, but I think it's absolutely hilarious and hypocritical that so many people throw out AAS accusations at so many people, yet, somehow, Andy has come out unscathed in that department. There have been so many claims that he walks around at ~230 (which I say is total bull****), but thy all forget that he fought at 167 at the beginning of his career. Kinda makes me throw up an eyebrow or 2...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  16. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3791
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    45.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    GSP has just as good a chance as any other MW in the UFC. Andy's weakness is TD defense and GSP's strength is TD/GnP. Size would go to Andy, but I'd actually give the strength to GSP, especially since he works with so many other guys that are bigger than him and they all talk about his strength.

    Total side note, but I think it's absolutely hilarious and hypocritical that so many people throw out AAS accusations at so many people, yet, somehow, Andy has come out unscathed in that department. There have been so many claims that he walks around at ~230 (which I say is total bull****), but thy all forget that he fought at 167 at the beginning of his career. Kinda makes me throw up an eyebrow or 2...
    maybe because he doesnt have a sean sherk like physique? havent you see the videos of him devouring Micky D's
  17. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317353
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    maybe because he doesnt have a sean sherk like physique? havent you see the videos of him devouring Micky D's
    It's not like he is very soft and that is a huge weight gain for anyone, let alone someone in a combat sport.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  18. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3791
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    45.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    It's not like he is very soft and that is a huge weight gain for anyone, let alone someone in a combat sport.
    yea and most importantly, he hasnt even gotten slower with all that weight. in the forrest fight he was snappin punches just as quickly as at 185 2 years ago
  19. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Some notes, brethren:

    a) GSP was on a Francophone radio station as well as a domestic MMA T.V., program stressing that, despite rumors, the probability of him even attempting to qualify for the 2012 Olympics are massively blown out of proportion. The rumors themselves stemmed from his wrestling coach - a Montreal gym owner who does (or has) competed on the Canadian Men's team - claiming that GSP is "Olympic Caliber."

    b) GSP is currently and has been for some time "bulking up," past his normal ~190 walking weight - ostensibly in preparation for a permanent move to MW. It is highly possible that GSP will have one more fight in 2010 (after Hardy) at WW, and then spend the remainder of the calendar year transitioning to a 210 walking weight in order to compete at MW.

    c) Size seems to be an irrelevant factor in a Spider/GSP fight, save for Anderson's length: if he can effectively establish range, then he could possibly negate GSP's TD attempts. That fact notwithstanding, Anderson does not effectively use his size and strength - though his Thai Clinch seems to suggest he is strong - and I simply cannot see him having the advantage in that aspect.

    d) Out of the current, probable fights for Anderson, GSP has by far and away the most viable opportunity to defeat him, and do so convincingly. This victory would be contingent on a wide-range of factors, and obviously Anderson's fight against Vitor will give us some insight on how the Spider handles an explosive athlete - that is, unless you consider Chris Leben an explosive athlete! To date, Anderson has not faced a top ten pound-for-pound opponent, and I am highly interested in seeing this fight, if for no other reason than that. You could make the case that both Florian for Penn, and Fitch, Alves and Penn for GSP were all top-ten pound-for-pound at the time of their fight. I think it is amazing how readily Anderson crushed a top-five LHW, though.
  20. Board Sponsor
    AE14's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    12,509
    Rep Power
    1097385
    Level
    74
    Lv. Percent
    53.51%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

    I think the length will be the biggest issue for Anderson. However, I will say this, I would not be the least bit surprised to see GSP a permanent fixture at 185 and Anderson a more frequent competitor at 205, especially if Shogun is able to defeat Machida. A Shogun v. Anderson title fight would be interesting.
    Controlled Labs Head Board Rep
    adam @ ControlledLabs.com
    CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility
  21. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317353
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AE14 View Post
    I think the length will be the biggest issue for Anderson. However, I will say this, I would not be the least bit surprised to see GSP a permanent fixture at 185 and Anderson a more frequent competitor at 205, especially if Shogun is able to defeat Machida. A Shogun v. Anderson title fight would be interesting.
    It's in the best interest of the UFC for Shogun to win. Not only does it set-up a rubber match between Machida and Shogun, but it also paves the way for a potential rematch between Shogun/Rog Nog and the aforementioned Andy fight. If Machida wins, IDK who would get the next shot.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  22. Senior Member
    bla55's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,776
    Rep Power
    71175
    Level
    33
    Lv. Percent
    51.05%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Just a comment on Nick Diaz...

    After watching that fight and his stand-up I can only but laugh at him saying he wants to take on GSP.

    Seriously, any precision striker with good footwork and solid technical striking could pretty much pick Diaz apart. He never covers, his hands are always down, he goes on wild swings, leaves his jaw straight out there, waiting for counters and doesn't even carry that much juice behind his punches. The only reason he hasn't been caught more often is because he has a reasonable reach advatage on most of his opponents. Put a technical striker in front of him and watch him aimlessly shoot for takedowns and get stuffed.
  23. New Member
    MattyIce32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    64
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    66.67%

    Its easy to call out a guy from a different organization when you know it's never gonna happen.

    Hey guys, I wanna fight GSP too. Lmfao
  24. New Member
    EESCHMan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    294
    Level
    14
    Lv. Percent
    87.54%

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyIce32 View Post
    Its easy to call out a guy from a different organization when you know it's never gonna happen.

    Hey guys, I wanna fight GSP too. Lmfao
    that's true, but do you really think Diaz wouldn't fight him?
  25. New Member
    v4nce's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    112
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    30.95%

    gsps stand up is as boring as machidas but isnt half as good... wow gsp has good quick legs kicks that dont effect the fighters till later in the round(s) Diaz can take a punch gsp couldnt knock fitch out so i doubt he could knock diaz out. diaz and gsp are both cardio machines. diaz and karo went 3 rounds and pretty much a equal fight the whole time. karo went 3 solid rounds with gsp and almost tapped gsp out with a simple kimura hes lucky karo was gassing out. gsp controlled bj penn and gassed him out and won while giving the audience and viewers the boringest fight u could pay for.

    diaz has reach and will actually put up a good fight out of anything havent seen a boring one yet, and gets no credit. Gsp is all about boring fights and calls him self a martial art artist and doesnt hardly finish fights

    stand up would be equal and probaly favor diaz so gsp will use his artistic martial arts and try to take nick diaz down and i guess try to hold him on the ground till he gasses which i would say good luck to that..

    i said all that to say:

    It'd be a AWESOME fight and i hope nick diaz cusses him (since gsp cant understand english anyway) and does all the crap he always does and gets a victory to put him back in the ufc. which the fight will probably never happen, cause like he said they wont put him in magazines and hes beat good fighters...

    i think i read somewhere his strikeforce contract is about up hes got one lined up again for the ufc not sure tho
  26. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317353
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by v4nce View Post
    gsps stand up is as boring as machidas but isnt half as good... wow gsp has good quick legs kicks that dont effect the fighters till later in the round(s) Diaz can take a punch gsp couldnt knock fitch out so i doubt he could knock diaz out. diaz and gsp are both cardio machines. diaz and karo went 3 rounds and pretty much a equal fight the whole time. karo went 3 solid rounds with gsp and almost tapped gsp out with a simple kimura hes lucky karo was gassing out. gsp controlled bj penn and gassed him out and won while giving the audience and viewers the boringest fight u could pay for.

    diaz has reach and will actually put up a good fight out of anything havent seen a boring one yet, and gets no credit. Gsp is all about boring fights and calls him self a martial art artist and doesnt hardly finish fights

    stand up would be equal and probaly favor diaz so gsp will use his artistic martial arts and try to take nick diaz down and i guess try to hold him on the ground till he gasses which i would say good luck to that..

    i said all that to say:

    It'd be a AWESOME fight and i hope nick diaz cusses him (since gsp cant understand english anyway) and does all the crap he always does and gets a victory to put him back in the ufc. which the fight will probably never happen, cause like he said they wont put him in magazines and hes beat good fighters...
    Name a top-10 fighter than Diaz has beaten.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  27. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3791
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    45.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Name a top-10 fighter than Diaz has beaten.
    is Robbie Lawler a top 10 er?
  28. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317353
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    is Robbie Lawler a top 10 er?
    Fringe and that was in 2004 and at WW (Lawler moved up to MW after that fight).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  29. Diamond Member
    VolcomX311's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    13,250
    Rep Power
    78138
    Level
    70
    Lv. Percent
    66.4%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    is Robbie Lawler a top 10 er?
    I hate Robbie Lawler, but only because he looks exactly like a douche prick I used to know. It's a dumb reason to dislike an athlete, but I can't help but see that guy when I look at Lawler
    NSCA - CSCS
  30. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3791
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    45.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by VolcomX311 View Post
    I hate Robbie Lawler, but only because he looks exactly like a douche prick I used to know. It's a dumb reason to dislike an athlete, but I can't help but see that guy when I look at Lawler
    you should woop his ass and put a youtube video up, "jacked dude knocks out Robbie Lawler!!!"
  31. New Member
    v4nce's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    112
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    30.95%

    well in the beginning he beat Gomi with a goga plata (they took his victory away because of thc in his system, God forbid weed make u fight better) besides people that fail steroid tests dont seem to get there wins taken away...

    hes fought a lot of top 10'ers but the judges dont like him in the ufc so a descision in the u.f.c. will never be a victory for him he owned joe rigs im a karo fan but in my eyes they both were equal i guess. he did better then sherk, diaz defended 100 of his take downs... the judges just dont like him he fought deigo sanches but i dont think ive watched that one but he lost by descision and i wouldnt doubt it if he did better. (diego doesnt look good anymore now that he fought a champ lol)

    i just really like his shows and he puts up better fights against wreslers then the standard muay thai jiu jitsu guy and gsp in my eyes is just another wresler lookin to win every descision which now that ive said that he would probaly win against diaz lol cause he cant finish a fight its be a great show wish itd happen ufc just doesnt want nick fighting a top 10'er; rodja


    from my own experience mma is a mental game from prefight untill the actual fight and nick diaz plays the mental aspect.
  32. Senior Member
    AntonG42O's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,316
    Rep Power
    3791
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    45.35%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    right on brother, if Nick didnt get the boot from the UFC he would have fought plenty of guys on the "top10" list. He is my favorite fighter and has been for awhile. The fights are always entertaining, hes talking and taunting and doing weird $hit with his hands LOL i think its hilarious. Always precise with his punches, its great how he sets up the body shot and drops dudes with it. his BJJ is nasty, besides Aoki nobody has ever pulled off a gogo. finally dude gets down with the herb and promotes it especially for people who could really use it (cancer,glaucoma, Khrons desease). I think nick diaz is a solid dude who always gets raped by the judges, some of who have publicly said that they dont like him and dont score for him.
  33. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,784
    Rep Power
    1317353
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    32.12%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by AntonG42O View Post
    right on brother, if Nick didnt get the boot from the UFC he would have fought plenty of guys on the "top10" list. He is my favorite fighter and has been for awhile. The fights are always entertaining, hes talking and taunting and doing weird $hit with his hands LOL i think its hilarious. Always precise with his punches, its great how he sets up the body shot and drops dudes with it. his BJJ is nasty, besides Aoki nobody has ever pulled off a gogo. finally dude gets down with the herb and promotes it especially for people who could really use it (cancer,glaucoma, Khrons desease). I think nick diaz is a solid dude who always gets raped by the judges, some of who have publicly said that they dont like him and dont score for him.
    There have been others to pull of a gogo; hell, Brad Imes did it twice. Diaz, and this applies to his brother, too, main problem is his lack of TD defense. I do agree that TDs are vastly overrated in American MMA, but wrestlers have a long history of success. Unless that changes, fighters like Diaz will continue to struggle against the top-tier fighters.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  34. New Member
    v4nce's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  145 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    60
    Rep Power
    112
    Level
    7
    Lv. Percent
    30.95%

    i wanna see nick diaz pull off a inverted triangle w/ a kimura like the one guy did on the last paper view lol that'd hit the media and gsp would feel like robbie lawler lol with diaz anything could happen but i do doubt it wish it would.
  35. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by v4nce View Post
    gsps stand up is as boring as machidas but isnt half as good... wow gsp has good quick legs kicks that dont effect the fighters till later in the round(s) Diaz can take a punch gsp couldnt knock fitch out so i doubt he could knock diaz out. diaz and gsp are both cardio machines. diaz and karo went 3 rounds and pretty much a equal fight the whole time. karo went 3 solid rounds with gsp and almost tapped gsp out with a simple kimura hes lucky karo was gassing out. gsp controlled bj penn and gassed him out and won while giving the audience and viewers the boringest fight u could pay for.
    Nick gassed hard in the Gomi fight, and I would not call him a cardio machine. The rest of the stand-up comments about GSP are debatable, I suppose.

    diaz has reach and will actually put up a good fight out of anything havent seen a boring one yet, and gets no credit. Gsp is all about boring fights and calls him self a martial art artist and doesnt hardly finish fights
    If you think GSP/Alves, GSP/Fitch, and/or GSP/Penn were "boring" than I am not sure what else to say to you. Do you boo grapplers often? Are you from Virginia, Tennessee maybe?

    stand up would be equal and probaly favor diaz so gsp will use his artistic martial arts and try to take nick diaz down and i guess try to hold him on the ground till he gasses which i would say good luck to that..
    The other stuff is certainly debatable, but you have to be joking here. Nick's foot positioning is often sloppy, and he leaves his chin exposed - especially when going for those looping uppercuts he was hitting Mariusz with. The Whitemare nearly finished Diaz precisely because his defense is poor, and once you get on the inside on Nick, his reach advantage is gone and thereby his "striking advantage" is gone. The fights Diaz has one standing up have been due to his length, not his power (pepper punches do not count) or his technical prowess (Stockton-Fu is not an official martial art). The fact is this: a crisp striker like GSP, or even Mike Swick, Dan Hardy or Anthony Johnson would destroy Nick on the feet, as much as I like him.

    In reality, Nick has never beaten a Top Ten WW, and was beaten in the UFC by Riggs, Sherk, Sanchez and Parisyan. At this respective point in their careers, GSP would pick Diaz apart on the feet, and take him down at will.

    I can obviously respect the nut-huggery, seeing as I indulge in some GSP nuthuggery myself, but this is one of the most inflated accounts of a fighter I have ever seen - well, since my last account of GSP.

  36. New Member
    Vance's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  229 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    33
    Posts
    448
    Rep Power
    292
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    21.33%

    I'd just like to distance myself from my doppelganger here and say that I think in a GSP vs. Diaz fight, Diaz gets about fifteen shades of **** kicked out of him.
  37. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    I'd just like to distance myself from my doppelganger here and say that I think in a GSP vs. Diaz fight, Diaz gets about fifteen shades of **** kicked out of him.
    I think your doppleganger has a serious substance abuse problem.
  38. New Member
    Vance's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  229 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Age
    33
    Posts
    448
    Rep Power
    292
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    21.33%

    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    I think your doppleganger has a serious substance abuse problem.
    Think you might be on to something.

    The crack is strong in this one.
  39. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by v4nce View Post
    hes fought a lot of top 10'ers but the judges dont like him in the ufc so a descision in the u.f.c. will never be a victory for him he owned joe rigs im a karo fan but in my eyes they both were equal i guess. he did better then sherk, diaz defended 100 of his take downs... the judges just dont like him he fought deigo sanches but i dont think ive watched that one but he lost by descision and i wouldnt doubt it if he did better. (diego doesnt look good anymore now that he fought a champ lol)
    Keywords here being two: fought and beaten. The difference between the two is the difference in the quality of a fighter. Has Nick Diaz fought top ten opponents? Sure, if you count Lawler as a peripheral top ten at that time and Sherk. Has he beaten any top ten opponents? Negative, unless you were counting the Whitemare as a top ten WW at the time of that fight.

    I am beginning to suspect you are Nick Diaz himself, because he gives the same excuses for his losses in the UFC: judges did not like him, takedowns are for pussies, the fight should be judged on who took more damage, and so on. I like Nick Diaz, but he is anywhere from the 8th to 10th best WW in the world, and in my eyes, he would get absolutely fucking destroyed by Alves, Fitch, Johnson or Daley (power advantages, on the last two) - let alone GSP.
  40. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Mulletsoldier's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    12,226
    Rep Power
    27066
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    41.22%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    That GSP fella' should really shore up his striking game:

    6869-JonFitch_0133.jpg
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. R.I.P. Nick Winters
    By tattoopierced1 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-04-2012, 01:16 AM
  2. Nick Diaz Vs Frank Shamrock
    By dynomite in forum MMA
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 01:06 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-22-2008, 11:52 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 10:33 PM
  5. Nick Diaz signs with Pride!
    By Alexander in forum MMA
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 04:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in