New game might keep fedor out of UFC...

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Ok here's the deal in a nutshell. Fedor was just announced to be headlining ea sports new mma video game. This is significant because ufc has an ongoing deal with the developers of their game. Dana has already said that NO fighter who appears in the EA game and signs with EA would be allowed to fight in the ufc. Obviously he was pursuing fedor. This may be a strong negotiating tactic on fedor's part or it may be a middle finger. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

edit- after reading a little more on this, dan had said randy would be an exception and still allowed to fight in the ufc. So I would guess fedor would probably get the nod as well.

JNB

Awards
Again, I hate that I don't have enough posts to post links yet, but go to MMAmania and it should be the first story. What Fedor was offered was ridiculous and the only reason he passed was because the UFC won't let M-1 copromote. Honestly at this point in time, I don't see Fedor signing with the UFC anytime soon after reading what he turned down.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Again, I hate that I don't have enough posts to post links yet, but go to MMAmania and it should be the first story. What Fedor was offered was ridiculous and the only reason he passed was because the UFC won't let M-1 copromote. Honestly at this point in time, I don't see Fedor signing with the UFC anytime soon after reading what he turned down.
Holy ****, you ain't lying. here's what he turned down:
* The UFC offered Fedor a six-fight, 30 million dollar contract (based on Zuffa’s projections of future PPV revenue).
* The UFC offered Fedor an immediate title shot.
* The UFC offered M-1 Global a cut of the championship PPV on top of Fedor’s purse anticipating Lesnar vs. Fedor as the biggest PPV in MMA history.
* Fedor was free to wear as many M-1 sponsored items as he wanted.
* The UFC would grant Fedor the ability to compete in combat Sambo tournaments.

and the link:http://mmamania.com/2009/07/30/fedor-emelianenko-rejects-statement-from-brother-aleks-about-true-motives-of-vadim-finkelchtein/#more-14251

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
yup and thats how it goes, a selfish crook manager ruins the best fighter's career.

Doogsy123

Doogsy123

Awards
  • Established
Wow, if Fedor says no to that then there's no way he'll sign now!

Flyers2385

Awards
yup and thats how it goes, a selfish crook manager ruins the best fighter's career.
Now I really could care less if Fedor signs with UFC. He clearly doesn't want to work for Dayna and I don't think they should bend over and take it from Fedor's management. I would love to see Brock take him on and I want Lesnar to win at this point because I believe any true competitor would want to prove he is the man to beat and is the best in the world. He can get on his knees with K-1 and pretend to be the main man for the rest of his career and it's fine with me because there are guys with heart at UFC whose competitiveness transcends this type of blood sucking business and negotiating. I hope Dayna finally says enough is enough and proves they don't need to give up an arm and a leg for Fedor.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would love to see Fedor in the cage, however if these contract offerings are correct (or even half correct) his management is screwing him over. He still gets to compete in Sambo, and many other concessions. In any real negotiation, you are not going to get every single issue you want. Very silly

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Check multiple sources before getting too excited . Sherdog reporting that M-1's CEO has said that the offer was decent but not even half of that amazing 30 mil. deal . As much as I hate to have to wait another day , I don't think we'll get a concrete story until Dana's presser tomorrow . Personally I don't think Fedor will come to the UFC . Which says something about his character to me . He has said on multiple occasions that fighting the best in the world was priority 1 . That would be in the UFC , not out . If he declines I guess he cares more about money and/or promoting his M-1 label than the level of his oponents . Shame on him if this is the case . I really hope I am wrong .

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
I recall that part of his sticking points before was ensuring that members of his camp also get fight deals. Right now they are all screwed since the UFC is basically the one game in town. M-1 will collapse if they can't co-promote and that means that his teammates are all screwed. He's watching out for his people and you have to respect that.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is truly the nexus of Fedor's career: if he signs, he can clearly cement his legacy as the best HW fighter to-date, and the pound-for-pound best in the world; if not, he risks losing [...an inevitable consequence of fighting...] and thereby entirely diminishing the leverage he and his cronies carry into negotiations. If there is a time to sign Fedor, it is certainly now.

Kegger

Awards
Holy ****, you ain't lying. here's what he turned down:
* The UFC offered Fedor a six-fight, 30 million dollar contract (based on Zuffa’s projections of future PPV revenue).
* The UFC offered Fedor an immediate title shot.
* The UFC offered M-1 Global a cut of the championship PPV on top of Fedor’s purse anticipating Lesnar vs. Fedor as the biggest PPV in MMA history.
* Fedor was free to wear as many M-1 sponsored items as he wanted.
* The UFC would grant Fedor the ability to compete in combat Sambo tournaments.

and the link:http://mmamania.com/2009/07/30/fedor-emelianenko-rejects-statement-from-brother-aleks-about-true-motives-of-vadim-finkelchtein/#more-14251
I don't believe that Fedor would have turned that down....it's too good to be true.

M-1 Global is denying a report that Fedor Emelianenko turned down a six-fight $30-million deal this week to join the UFC’s heavyweight ranks.

CBS Radio host Carmichael Dave reported Wednesday that Emelianenko had turned down an agreement that would have paid him $5 million per fight. However, Joost Raimond, CEO for M-1 Global, called the report “completely ludicrous” and said negotiations never even reached the point where the number of fights contracted for Emelianenko was decided.

“I can say that the guaranteed -- and the word ‘guaranteed’ is of great importance here -- the guaranteed offer made by the UFC is less than what Fedor made before,” Raimond said. “The five-million (per fight) is way, way, way out of range. Half of that is even way out of range of what they offered.”

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
I recall that part of his sticking points before was ensuring that members of his camp also get fight deals. Right now they are all screwed since the UFC is basically the one game in town. M-1 will collapse if they can't co-promote and that means that his teammates are all screwed. He's watching out for his people and you have to respect that.
Yeah I see where you are coming from , looking out for friends but I think the sad fact is that nobody from the Red Devil fight camp has skills that are anywhere near Fedor . Maybe his brother Aleks if anyone . We saw how Buentello decimated the highly hyped "Baby Fedor" Kiril Sidelnikov . I don't know who else might even be considered . If they would just forget about this co-promotional B.S. it would prob happen .

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I see where you are coming from , looking out for friends but I think the sad fact is that nobody from the Red Devil fight camp has skills that are anywhere near Fedor . Maybe his brother Aleks if anyone . We saw how Buentello decimated the highly hyped "Baby Fedor" Kiril Sidelnikov . I don't know who else might even be considered . If they would just forget about this co-promotional B.S. it would prob happen .
Kiril is nasty just very inexperienced, 20 year old kid. Look him up on youtube he has a few fights where he puts people away quickly, like Fedor in the making.

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Kiril is nasty just very inexperienced, 20 year old kid. Look him up on youtube he has a few fights where he puts people away quickly, like Fedor in the making.
My point being that Fedor was trying to get the UFC to hook them up somehow . Bad little dude yes . UFC material ? Not quite . He should have tried to get on TUF 10 . He is heavyweight right ? Would've been a nice addition . Looking foward to this season .

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm edging on getting tired of the Fedormania myself (as a Fedor fanatic). If he won't fight the best, then apart from looking out for friends & what not, its an objective title, not a subjective issue. He is or he isn't and if he doesn't compete with the best, then he's heading toward, he isn't. I'll probably always think he was the best, like a Mike Tyson memory, but then you run into, "however" this that & the other and that's history.

You can pimp a fighter if he "can't" fight the best, and argue that he would if he could do this or that, but if he "won't" fight, well....

He's earned the crown no doubt, but...... don't let Mullet get started on GSP and its a bitch to argue against.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
M1 and Fedor said that UFC offered a 6 fight deal with each fight paying under 2 million. The 30 mil is a possible number they can get with all the payperview money and ratings being sky high. So it wasnt exactly the offer UFC posted. From my personal experience if someone is telling you you'll get paid amount "X" but in reality you will most likely get "Y", they are playing with your money and could be also screwing you on other issues. BUT I gotta say after watching Fedor's interview on sherdog it does seem like he is just blindly following the management. Fedor isnt a guy who wants to be remembered as the best, contrary to what people might say. This guy wants to be ranked high to honor his country and fighting is just his job, he has said this over and over again. So yea I guess you can say he has nothing to prove to himself.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
that PPV cut would be HUGE if he got in. Screw his manager this is bs i wish he would jsut get out of M-1

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
I was talking with a buddy and he said that Fedor has a 3 fight deal with M-1. Despite having a stake in the company he doesn't seem to be able to get out of it. Since Dana won't co-promote that means he has to burn through those to get this over.

I hope the UFC just buys M-1 and ends the BS

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the ppv money would have been huge. Fedor v. Brock, Fedor v. Randy, I mean hell the money is there, M-1 wants to co-promote while Fedor gets huge purses. Is M-1 going to help with fighter salaries then?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
the ppv money would have been huge. Fedor v. Brock, Fedor v. Randy, I mean hell the money is there, M-1 wants to co-promote while Fedor gets huge purses. Is M-1 going to help with fighter salaries then?
Randy? Ehhhh.....

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Randy? Ehhhh.....
Yeah no doubt on the "ehhhh" . Anyway if Fedor signs later rather than sooner(if at all) then we won't be seeing Fedor and Brock . We'll be seeing Fedor vs. Carwin for the strap cause I'm calling it now - Velsquez will go down then the Manbearpig will get his face re-designed by "The Engineer" . Then we will have a beast of a champ who also has class .:yup:

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah no doubt on the "ehhhh" . Anyway if Fedor signs later rather than sooner(if at all) then we won't be seeing Fedor and Brock . We'll be seeing Fedor vs. Carwin for the strap cause I'm calling it now - Velsquez will go down then the Manbearpig will get his face re-designed by "The Engineer" . Then we will have a beast of a champ who also has class .:yup:
Damn that Manbearpig....

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
He was always a manbear but after the childish rant he went on after Mir part 2 , the pig part fell in nicely .

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
looks like Fedor is happy fighting FORMER UFC champs and other supposed top 10 HW who are also not in the UFC. Not saying the UFC is the best, but they certainly do have many of the best and yet the UFC is good enough for them. How come many of the other BESTS fight in the UFC and are OK with the terms??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? The Fedor nuthugging should stop now and all should realize that if chubby Fedor really was about the sport and the best, then he'd put his foot down with M-1 and would work something out and to say he doesn't have to because he's Fedor is just simply an extreme case of ass kissing. Everyone looks good when they cherry pick fights. When will the brown-nosing stop. This guy is dedinitely looking like a chubby weasle. He makes soooo many excuses and everyone protects him and buys them. He is good and may be the best but he would have to prove it rather than milking the system. M-1 admitted the UFC made a very good offer and they would have accepted that offer in the past but not good enough now. I guess he wants to remain the mystery man.

Kegger

Awards
I too hope that Shane Carwin completely destroys Brock. That guy has class and would make an awesome champion!

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Or maybe Fedor was watching UFC one day, and after seeing Wandy and Cro Cop become mere shells of their former selves,... he said.." Oh sh!t that could end up being me. Fuk the Pride curse. No UFC for me, ever."

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
I really hope that carwin beats lesner. but carwin got taken down by gonzaga and took a fat punch to break his nose. he needs to clean up and he has a good chnace of winning. i hope lesner and him dont have a 5 round hug fest.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Bad news about Fedor. He's definitely looking like an idiot who's being taken for a ride by his manager from the westerner's perspective. Russian culture/business is just way different, though, and there is a lot of mistrust of foreigners/Americans so Fedor trusts his own guy.

There are still some good fights for Fedor outside of the UFC. First, I say put him against Overeem. Then a fight with Barnett in Japan, Rogers and Werdum in Strikeforce, and maybe Monson down the road if no one else emerges. In the UFC, we miss out on Brock and Cain/Carwin, but there aren't that many great fights beyond those. Randy would be fun and could possibly do well in the cage, but I think time will (has) catch up to him before that fight happens.

I too hope that Shane Carwin completely destroys Brock. That guy has class and would make an awesome champion!
Doubtful. Carwin has the power to KO most HWs, but he's just not the athlete that Brock is. Watch his fight with GG. His footwork is a mess and he gets taken down too (although he may have been stunned).

I wouldn't assume at all that Carwin is going to beat Cain though. That's about 50-50 to me.

Jutsin

Awards
It's pretty disappointing that a greedy manager can inhibit progress and such like this.

.. on the plus side - good to hear there's another MMA game coming out :D

Flyers2385

Awards
It's pretty disappointing that a greedy manager can inhibit progress and such like this.

.. on the plus side - good to hear there's another MMA game coming out :D
I think Fedor's manager is related to Drew..

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
hah.

if fedor really wanted to be in the UFC he could have.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Signing with Strikeforce may have been his best option from a promotional and pride standpoint, however; I still feel the UFC poses more intriguing fights: Carwin, Cain, Lesnar and Mir [...and possibly the old guard: Randy and Nog...] are more realistic challengers than Overeem, Werdum and Rogers. I think we all have Rod Nog, Mir, and Lesnar in the top five, whereas I have Overeem at 6 or 7, Rogers at 10, and Werdum is not even in the top ten - in other words: with the three previously mentioned HW fighters, in addition to Carwin, the UFC has more top-ten threats. (As Barnett was not going to fight in the U.S., for either Strikeforce or UFC, anyway.) If Strikeforce can manage to bring in Monson, it may strengthen their position.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this doesnt help his "legacy". His best options for quality opponents were in the UFC, however, he made his bed and now he can lay in it. He will dominate their big 3, and all the Fedor lovers (I was one) will continue how he would kill everyone. Personally, I think this was a very sad move for MMA and really makes Fedor look bad in the eyes of more hardcore fans

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
I know that Overeem is gonna sign with UFC when his strikeforce deal is up, he's already been hanging out with Dana quite a few times. I guess Fedor will just take that title and sit there forever. Very boring outcome of events.... Maybe when they run out of guys then UFC will make another run at him lol

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know that Overeem is gonna sign with UFC when his strikeforce deal is up, he's already been hanging out with Dana quite a few times. I guess Fedor will just take that title and sit there forever. Very boring outcome of events.... Maybe when they run out of guys then UFC will make another run at him lol
Or he'll just fade when his lack luster fights inevitably cause justified disinterest in the Fedor product.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
GSP is best p4p fighter now. fedor doesnt want to be in the UFC. throw all the dana white **** out the window and media. he didnt wanna be there because they have a long line up for him. he most likley would have lost one of his first 3 fights because they would throw a lot at him. GSP would want to fight the best and i hate him.

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
He has a 3 fight deal left with M-1. He CAN'T sign with the ufc until that is over.

If the UFC would co-promote then they'd have him. They refuse to do so. Unless they buy M-1 or buyout his contract, they'll have to wait for 3 more fights before they can sign him.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
ya m1 is holding on for dear life. they would only co promote which UFC does not need. i hope he burns up those 3 fights quick.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He has a 3 fight deal left with M-1. He CAN'T sign with the ufc until that is over.

If the UFC would co-promote then they'd have him. They refuse to do so. Unless they buy M-1 or buyout his contract, they'll have to wait for 3 more fights before they can sign him.
Why would they? Does the NFL agree to co-promote with the sports agency of every new Heisman winner? It is a completely ridiculous stipulation on the part of M-1 Global, IMO.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Apparently, according to Coker, Fedor will not fight for the belt immediately (courtesy of www.cagepotato.com):

Now that Strikeforce has landed the greatest heavyweight in the world, they have to make sure that casual American fans care. To that end, Fedor Emelianenko may spend the first two fights of his initial three-fight deal with Strikeforce building his name before fighting for the organization's heavyweight strap. According to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker on yesterday's edition of TapouT Radio (via FiveOuncesofPain):
“[Fedor] and Alistair Overeem should be an amazing fight, and people that haven’t seen Alistair, you know, he’s an amazing fighter. I think we should do a couple of fights and build that one up, and then let their champion fight our champion, and let’s see what happens...We’re hoping that Alistair will be ready to fight in the Fall, and we can put him on one of the cards with Fedor, and not fight against each other but fight against someone else, and let’s build that fight up”

It's a wise strategy from a marketing perspective — especially if Strikeforce decides to try their hand at a pay-per-view show for Fedor's third fight — but it's not without its share of risks. One of Emelianenko's first two opponents could "shock the world," after all, and sink Fedor's marketability before he ever becomes champion. (Not a likely scenario, but still.) Or, Fedor and M-1 might feel they've accomplished all there is to accomplish in Strikeforce after their third fight, and leave the club right after they've taken its belt. (Assuming Strikeforce contracts don't have an airtight champion's clause, as in the UFC.)

Coker went on to say that Fedor's first fight this fall will definitely be on Showtime, then shared some insight on Strikeforce's co-promotion with M-1 Global:
“I think that was something that was really important to M-1. They were looking for a partner, just like they had with Affliction. I think branding is important to them, and I think we’ve provided a good platform for them to do some good branding in America. We’ve done co-promotions before so it wasn’t really an issue to us. I think it just worked out. When two companies have common goals in mind, good things can happen.”

Well isn't that sweet? Coker brings up a good point, in that Strikeforce has previously partnered up with EliteXC and Bodog; they've had experience with co-promotion and aren't as fiercely protective of their brand as the UFC. So maybe this thing could work out after all. Though Dana White and the UFC will surely do everything in their power to prevent that from happening...

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
nice, thanks for posting cagepotato articles. for some reason I cant open those articles at work anymore, it tries to download some file or some ****

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Why would they? Does the NFL agree to co-promote with the sports agency of every new Heisman winner? It is a completely ridiculous stipulation on the part of M-1 Global, IMO.
Yeah, no doubt. At the end of the day, the UFC doesn't need Fedor.

The most worrisome outcome of this Strikeforce deal is how the UFC responds. Do they challenge the legality of Fedor signing with Strikeforce - the UFC had some sort of deal with Affliction (did Fedor have to wait out some part of his Affliction contract?). Does the UFC start counter-programming? Does the UFC grab all of Strikeforces HW talent like Rogers, Overeem, etc.?

GSP is best p4p fighter now. fedor doesnt want to be in the UFC. throw all the dana white **** out the window and media. he didnt wanna be there because they have a long line up for him. he most likley would have lost one of his first 3 fights because they would throw a lot at him. GSP would want to fight the best and i hate him.
Do they have a long line up for him? Brock, Cain/Carwin winner, Mir, then what? Nog/Randy winner? No one wants to see Nog fight Fedor and Randy's age will catch with him by then. Kongo? :laugh2: Dos Santos may be a decent option but he needs some more fights before he's considered a contender.

After my initial disappointment, I thought about it and I see it like this :

Fedor/Brock = Fedor/Overeem (Not exactly equal but not world's different)
Fedor/Cain or Carwin = Fedor/Rogers (all are up-and-comers)
Fedor/Mir = Fedor/Werdum
Fedor/Randy = Fedor/Lashley (very marketable but probably easy fights for Fedor as Randy ages more)

In each case the UFC option is better but not a vastly different challenge.

Russians are not Americans. Respect means more to them and Dana's rants against him probably made Fedor/Vadim less likely to consider signing. I still think Vadim was more responsible for it with his BS copromotion nonsense, but Dana should learn his lesson from this situation and grow up.

bigwhiteguy29

Awards
  • Established
wewill do fine we have LESNER!!! hahahahaha

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, no doubt. At the end of the day, the UFC doesn't need Fedor.

The most worrisome outcome of this Strikeforce deal is how the UFC responds. Do they challenge the legality of Fedor signing with Strikeforce - the UFC had some sort of deal with Affliction (did Fedor have to wait out some part of his Affliction contract?). Does the UFC start counter-programming? Does the UFC grab all of Strikeforces HW talent like Rogers, Overeem, etc.?
I see them offering more lucrative contracts to Diaz, Shields, Lawler, etc., etc., in response to Strikeforce's signing of Fedor. I also predict Fedor's signing as the downfall of Strikeforce: the Last Emperor's arrival signifies the era of Strikeforce on PPV; the absence of which being one of the keys to their survival. They will put up lackluster numbers on PPV and, with the UFC no doubt already looking at signing their best talent, they could be done within a year.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I see them offering more lucrative contracts to Diaz, Shields, Lawler, etc., etc., in response to Strikeforce's signing of Fedor. I also predict Fedor's signing as the downfall of Strikeforce: the Last Emperor's arrival signifies the era of Strikeforce on PPV; the absence of which being one of the keys to their survival. They will put up lackluster numbers on PPV and, with the UFC no doubt already looking at signing their best talent, they could be done within a year.
I'm thinking this too. It's far from a certainty, but they're taking a big risk stepping up to the big leagues.

Are you picking Florian over BJ?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm thinking this too. It's far from a certainty, but they're taking a big risk stepping up to the big leagues.
I honestly like Strikeforce quite a bit, and really hope they avoid tanking; however, Fedor's arrival necessitates a PPV-arrival, but his name does not draw enough to sustain that arrival.

Are you picking Florian over BJ?
My heart says Kenny, but my mind says BJ. I will go with Kenny. Who do you got?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My heart and my mind says Penn. My mind says Silva, but my heart says Griffin, or is it the other way around? :paranoid:

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
BJ and the spider will be walking away winners.