Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.53%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Huerta Passes On UFC Contract

Huerta Passes on UFC Contract

Friday, January 09, 2009
    by Loretta Hunt (lhunt@sherdog.com)

The popular lightweight has turned down a new five-fight contract with the UFC to pursue a career in acting in 2009. Huerta has one more fight on his current contract with the UFC that will see him back in the Octagon some time before December. After that, Huerta said he’d re-evaluate his options.

“I’m not burned out [with fighting],” said Huerta. “I have one fight left with the UFC and I want to honor that. As soon as they tell me to fight, I’ll fight my last fight on the contract.”

After getting bit by the bug last summer shooting a role in the film “Tekken,” Huerta said the timing felt right to tackle a wholly different challenge.

“I saw that you have to dedicate as much as you do to training for a fight as you do for an acting role and I’m intrigued by that,” said Huerta. “I’m 25 years old. I see Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture and they didn’t really hit their primes till their thirties. I’m only going to be young so long and I know that movies and agencies and what not want the young look.”

The handsome bi-lingual fighter was pushed heavily on the press following his rousing victory over Leonard Garcia at UFC 69 in April 2007. The performance landed the Minneapolis resident the cover of Sports Illustrated that May – a first in the sport’s 15-year history. However, Huerta believes it was his gut-wrenching performance against Clay Guida at “The Ultimate Fighter 6” finale in December 2007 that brought on his popularity with fans.

“I felt naked after that fight because I gave everything I had in there, from physical abilities to my emotions,” said Huerta. “I was a little messed up in the head for the next two months. That last round took a lot out of me. I went to another level mentally.”

Though Huerta (20-2-1, 1 NC) fought and won five times in 2007 -- culminating with the Guida bout -- his schedule became muddled the next year. In 2008, he entered the cage only once and lost to Kenny Florian via unanimous decision at UFC 87 last August.

Huerta’s contract was extended for two six-month periods during that time due to his inability to commit to fights that were offered to him. Over the summer, Huerta made plans to return to Augsburg College, but the opportunity to play Miguel “The Matador” Rojo in the feature film adaptation of the popular video game “Tekken,” proved too good an opportunity to pass up. Huerta remains one class shy of his Bachelor’s Degree, while the film, in which Huerta has a small speaking role, is due out in fall 2009.

Huerta also turned down a fight with Joe Stevenson at UFC 95 on Feb. 21 in London, due to “personal family issues.” Stevenson will now face Diego Sanchez instead.

Huerta’s reps believe the fighter’s future in film looks promising. Huerta recently signed a three-movie development deal with Lion’s Gate films, whose recent projects include “The Transporter 3” and “The Spirit.”

“Roger loves fighting for the UFC, but it doesn’t make sense for him to re-sign and continually let them down when he can’t take fights due to other projects,” said Huerta’s manager Jeff Clark, of NCFC Fight Management. “They have a business to run and schedules to keep as well.”

Still, others might see a different motivation for Huerta’s decision not to sign on the dotted line this time around. Huerta caused waves last July in an interview with Fight! Magazine where he voiced discontent with the UFC’s pay scale and the public relation responsibilities placed on fighters for little to no pay.

Huerta said he was spread too thin between appearances and his first movie role at the time and misspoke.

“I was thinking like a young kid,” said Huerta of the infamous interview. “I’m young and people make mistakes.”

Huerta and his management downplayed any ill will with Zuffa LLC., which owns the UFC. In fact, Huerta says his relationship with UFC owners Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White, the promotion’s president, has never been stronger.

“I personally look up to Lorenzo and Dana,” he said. “This sport wouldn’t be where it is without them. With the $40 million in the hole and Dana grinding it out through everything, and putting the sport on the map, we owe them a lot.”

Without his income from fighting, Huerta said he’ll supplement his bank account with appearances and seminars while he takes acting classes. He also plans to join one of his trainers in Los Angeles for auditions through a talent agent who coordinates with his NCFC fight management.

He said he had no plans to talk to other promotions once his UFC contract’s non-compete period is satisfied some time around April 2010.

“The UFC is my home and it is my family and eventually I’ll come back,” said Huerta. “Pursuing the modeling and acting thing, that’s kind of where I’m at right now. The fighting will always be there. I’ll always have that in me. The truth is I’ve been fighting my whole life for everything, and this to me, is something else.”
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.64%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting Pro

WTH?

He's really dropping out of UFC to do movies or whatever else? And then thinks he'll be back when he's in his 30's, after doing a movie or whatever, and supposedly be in his "prime"?

Are you kidding me? OMG.. Really going after the big bucks I suppose.
  3. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.19%

Kind of feel sorry for the dude, but in the BJ Penn era and with Kflo looking better everytime, he may as well try an use them looks cause he wont have a title. Light weight Div in UFC is awesome.
    PS He is one tough dude, dont get me wrong, just.....not near the top of the tree. And obviously his head Isn't n the game, so may as well leave.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.79%

if its last in the UFC I would like to see him and guida go at it again.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.49%

I think it is a pretty clear sign that these guys are underpaid when a legitimate top 5 contender bails to take a role in second rate movie adaptation of a friggin' video game.
    I'm not saying these guys should be pulling MLB type salaries, but you've seen the payouts. World champs make less than the league minimum in all the major sports.
  6. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.19%

Quote Originally Posted by matteoja View Post
    I think it is a pretty clear sign that these guys are underpaid when a legitimate top 5 contender bails to take a role in second rate movie adaptation of a friggin' video game.
    I'm not saying these guys should be pulling MLB type salaries, but you've seen the payouts. World champs make less than the league minimum in all the major sports.
    What kinda money do they make dude? roughly
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.64%

I agree.

When Nogueira, who is a legend in the ring, who brings expectators to the show, and what did he get for his last title fight? 200k.

Considering he's one of the best, he was the interim champion, and that they sometimes only fight 2, 3 times a year, I'd say they are HEAVILY underpaid. Heck, a football team won't sign to someone for less than 500k, and most of the UFC guys won't even make that in a year from the UFC alone.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.49%

I could be off by 20-30%, but Huerta never made more than $50k for a fight. Even Rashad Evans only cleared $150k for his GNP of Griffin for the title.
  9. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  145 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    40.97%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by OzzY SluGGa View Post
    Kind of feel sorry for the dude, but in the BJ Penn era and with Kflo looking better everytime, he may as well try an use them looks cause he wont have a title. Light weight Div in UFC is awesome.
    PS He is one tough dude, dont get me wrong, just.....not near the top of the tree. And obviously his head Isn't n the game, so may as well leave.
    Lol Agreed.
  10. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.19%

Quote Originally Posted by matteoja View Post
    I could be off by 20-30%, but Huerta never made more than $50k for a fight. Even Rashad Evans only cleared $150k for his GNP of Griffin for the title.
    Jesus, thats ****ing peanuts for a pro athelite, training at their level. Endorsment deals would net them more....The UFC is huge, why they get so little? These guys gotta be some of the fitttest, most skilled athletes onthe planet. In alot of cases it is a lifetime of martial arts study. thats ****d
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting Royalty

They also receive huge bonuses. Liddell and Couture usually receive reported payouts of ~250k, but they also get PPV shares, apperance fees, etc. They usually make ~1.5M per fight, but I agree that the wages are still on the low side. However, they have escalated immensely over the past 5 years as the sport has grown.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.97%

Most of them make less money than a CFL footballer. Just to give you an idea, the highest paid CFL guy is paid 500k a year. A typical guy is paid around 80K. Alot of new fighters in the UFC get paid 5 to fight 5 to win or 7.5 to fight 7.5 to win etc. etc.
  13. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.19%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    They also receive huge bonuses. Liddell and Couture usually receive reported payouts of ~250k, but they also get PPV shares, apperance fees, etc. They usually make ~1.5M per fight, but I agree that the wages are still on the low side. However, they have escalated immensely over the past 5 years as the sport has grown.
    1.5 mil, now you talking. I'll let anyone smash my head in for that
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.88%

If they truely are getting 1.5 think what Dana's getting...that fukers a schrewd business slug! 1.5 mill minus taxes and paying out your camp can take a chunk of change for sure. ITs good money and it has grown more than anyone ever thought.. the first ufc I was like 23....Im 39.....so glad its still alive and kicking ass!
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.59%

After reading this post I am extremely dissapointed seeing as Huerta is definitely in my top 5 favorites/top prospects. I trained out of an academy in Florida where many professional fighters were friends with the owner so I had the chance to meet some of them. For what UFC is doing for the sport and how fast its growing its a shame how much these guys make. Dana has done a tremendous amount for MMA and I applaud him for that but come on dude you really need to pay these guys more. In regards to the bj penn era/kenflo's improvement yes I do agree with that but you cant say Huerta wasnt a contender to be at the top of the tree. This kid by all means could fight and I definitely think that he would have given kenflo a good run for his money. Maybe if they were paid alittle more his head would be in the game so to speak but who knows. Bottom line is these guys need to get paid more and they sure as hell deserve it.
  16. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.19%

Quote Originally Posted by Brother View Post
    If they truely are getting 1.5 think what Dana's getting...that fukers a schrewd business slug! 1.5 mill minus taxes and paying out your camp can take a chunk of change for sure. ITs good money and it has grown more than anyone ever thought.. the first ufc I was like 23....Im 39.....so glad its still alive and kicking ass!
    Hmmmm, I didnt think of that. I was thinking more that that would be the take home AFTER expenses. If thats the case, Yeah, their getting fisted.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Roger Huerta Drops Woman Beater
    By bigwhiteguy29 in forum MMA
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-09-2010, 09:16 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 02:24 PM
  3. Want to get out of Cingular contract. Please help me fast!
    By blahblah192 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-16-2006, 12:54 AM
  4. Contract of Wifely Expectations
    By CDB in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 10:21 PM