Top 10 Heavyweights

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
1. Fedor Emelianenko, Affliction, WAMMA Champion (Fedor is not human. Nothing more needs to be said about this deadly, deadly man)

2. Brock Lesnar, UFC, UFC Heavyweight Champion (He beat the man who beat just about every man except Fedor and while many will argue this position I stand by it firmly. I can see it now and we should all see him near the top of this list for quite some time.)

3. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, UFC, UFC Interim Heavyweight Champion (He has an asterisk next to his belt just like Barry Bonds has next to his home run record, and he will be placed beneath Brock until he faces him and comes out victorious as the undisputed champion. Frank Mir may have something to say about this of course)

4. Andre Arlovski, Affliction, Top Contender to Fedor ("The Pit Bull" will face Fedor on January 24, 2009 and a win could elevate him to the top; but a loss should not really move him down as no one else on the planet can beat Fedor at the moment, either.)

5. Frank Mir, UFC, Challenger to Nogueira in December for Interim UFC Heavyweight Championship and chance to rematch Brock Lesnar for the undisputed championship (Frank Mir is underrated and yet overrated at the same time, and while many will argue his placement on this list I merely contend that he has the chance to carve out his own destiny in the upcoming months and is talented enough to possibly pull it off. He did defeat Brock, and as much as I expect Nogueira to end up the man to face Lesnar, it would make for one compelling rematch to see Mir vs. Lesnar once more. Mir has a chance and deserves this slot.)

6. Josh Barnett, Affliction, Next in line behind Arlovski (Barnett is something special and is one of the very best in the world who is not competing under the UFC banner. Josh Barnett is tremendous, and it is not a slight to him that I have him sixth, but rather that all things change due to Brock's victory and Fedor's dominance. I believe we shall soon have a really scary 1-2 punch at the top of this list, and it is possible that the only men who can beat either of them may be one another)

7. Gabriel Gonzaga, UFC, Top contender in the heavyweight division (His win over Hendricks proved absolutely nothing, but he is a tremendously skilled heavyweight with heavy hands and a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu who should see action against a top UFC heavyweight fighter in 2009. Gonzaga could give anyone trouble and is a fighter with a chance to win in every fight. He isn't the best but he is one of them and a dark horse in the race for heavyweight supremacy.)

8. Randy Couture, UFC, Former UFC Heavyweight Champion ( His ranking is low due to his inactivity, as I did not have him ranked due to his retirement even though he technically remained the UFC champion. His return was impressive, as he did give Brock something to head back to the gym with, but he simply could not match his foe in terms of size, strength or sheer will. I believe Randy will compete at light heavyweight next and see him taking on the winner of Griffin vs. Evans, and if victorious could prove to give Anderson Silva a super fight in the light heavyweight division; or he could battle Chuck Liddell in a big money fight for times sake. He may be back in the heavyweight division but that would be to rematch Brock; and aside from making money it would prove to be a futile effort in my estimation. I see Couture competing and finishing his career at light heavyweight, but his comeback coupled with a gutsy performance at UFC 91 earns him admittance to this list.)

9. Tim Sylvia, Affliction, Last seen in clothing ad getting choked out (Actually that was his performance against Fedor, but every man faces failure when faced with the dominant Russian, and I really cannot slam Tim for looking so miserable. Lots of folks struck out against Nolan Ryan and they have nothing to be ashamed of, as simply digging their cleats in against the 100 mph speedball took guts that most would not have. That said, Sylvia is not a spectacular heavyweight, and by this I mean he got by on size and a modicum of talent, but he really could have been a better fighter. For his size he was never as dominant as he should have been, but in some aspects of his game he was underrated. Tim Sylvia is less of a crowd pleaser than a case of explosive diarrhea, and even less welcome at the top of the card to fans who are doling out 50 bucks. Sylvia will fight again and will surely have success again, but the new guard of heavyweights is going to prove to be too much; and he would be dismantled if he were to ever return to the UFC and face the likes of Lesnar. I knock Tim all of the time and simply do not enjoy the man, but I do admit that amongst the heavyweights currently competing that he is not all that bad. He isn't all that good either and as such I have him sitting at number 8.)

10. Fabricio Werdum, Unemployed, Formerly of the UFC (Was throttled by the underdog Junior Dos Santos at UFC 90 and was given his walking papers after such a dismal showing when this was to be a showcase bout for the promising fighter. He deserves another chance, but it makes good sense to have served notice to everyone that you need to always give your best efforts in the UFC or risk getting bounced. Put Werdum in there against any of the top heavyweights and he has a fighting chance, but it was his lack of proper motivation that bounced him out of the UFC and down to the bottom of this list. He is the best unemployed heavyweight fighter and it is my feeling that we shall see him sooner rather than later, and possibly back in the UFC. He definitely will take each and every fight seriously from now on, and his opponents would be advised to do the same thing.)

The heavyweight division is extremely top heavy and fighters such as Shane Carwin, Cain Velasquez, and Roy Nelson are just one fight away from breaking into the top ten and shaking things up. Heavyweights are at a premium right now, and the very best are in a class all of their own but the future does look to be not too shabby as some young fighters are on the verge of bolstering the ranks in the coming year.
Can you believe this fuccking guy?!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha, yeah i disagree with a few there but who do you think is the top 10, in order?

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
Frank Mir shouldnt even be on there

and barnett should be at least 4

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fedor
Nog
Barnett
Arlovski
Lesnar (as much as I hate to say it)
Couture
Sylvia
Kharitonov
Aleks
Werdum/Gonzaga

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Fedor
2. Nog
3. Barnett
4. Arlovski
5. Lesnar
6. Couture
7. Sylvia
8. Gonzaga
9. Mir
10. Werdum

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Fedor
2. Nog
3. Barnett
4. Arlovski
5. Lesnar
6. Couture
7. Sylvia
8. Gonzaga
9. Mir
10. Werdum
id probably agree with this list the most out of the ones named but for heavyweights the whole field looks pretty weak imo.

although nog would beat just about everyone after him im gonna have to say it................if he meets lesnar i would bet on lesnar.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The issue for me with the Lesnar/Nog matchup is that Nog will need to be careful not to get pounded early out of fear that the ref will stop it. If the ref doesnt than Lesnar gets subbed a la the Mir fight

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Fedor
2. Nog
3. Barnett
4. Arlovski
5. Lesnar
6. Couture
7. Sylvia
8. Gonzaga
9. Mir
10. Werdum
Reap, if Mir is 9 on there Shane Carwin should be up around 2! Mir is horrific!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Reap, if Mir is 9 on there Shane Carwin should be up around 2! Mir is horrific!
I dont disagree to an extent. My list is not based on potential, but also already established victories, which Carwin does not have against top flight opponents yet. However, I think Carwin and Valasquez could be top 10 before too long.

I am not a Mir fan, but he is still the only guy to beat the UFC champ. (thats weird to say about Lesnar)

ugab37

ugab37

Applied Nutriceuticals Rep.
Awards
  • Established
Ok, I've been training in MMA for a few years now and I've been a diehard fan since the first UFC. 99% of my MMA training partners hate Lesnar and think he's just a 'big' guy and a lot of hype. Now granted, I thought that too and knowing how much training MMA takes, I didnt think he'd be this good and definately not this fast. I have to look no further than my first grappling session. I am 235 with a low bf% a pretty high level of strength esp. for my bodyweight, and my instructor is 170lbs and not really that lean either. We rolled for about 2 minutes, then I shot, and woke up laying on my back wondering what had happened. That still happens now, but it just takes him a lot longer and every once in awhile, I'll get a sub. I say all this just to point out that I have a great respect for the technical side of our sport. However, after I saw Brock lose to Frank Mir, I called everyone of my training buddy's and told em that he would dominate and be hw champ one day. His size and even more, his speed, are just out of this world and really too much for just about anyone to handle. Think about this, in a few years, he'll have a sub game and much better defense. In a few years, he'll be a more polished striker. All Im saying his, I truly think he's in the top 3 and I hate his cocky attitude, but I just think he's that good.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a hard time putting Lesnar in the top-3 because I have thought that Randy was slightly over-rated as a HW anyway. Also, Fedor, Nog, and Barnett have been entrenched in the top-5 for the past 5 years and cannot give someone that is still a relative neophyte to the sport that high of a ranking. Herring is a quality win and, of course, beating Randy is huge, but considering that Herring hasn't beaten a top-15 HW in almost a decade and Randy beat an overhyped Gonzaga and a gunshy Sylvia, Lesnar's major wins are less valued.

He definitely has the potential to get there within a year, but, until he beats Nog, I cannot put him that high in my rankings.

flobot

flobot

Awards
  • Established
I'm scared for Nog...he's awesome but he's always been rocked by heavy handed fighters.. (He just finds a way to come back and win all the time..)

But none of those heavy hands are Brock Lesnar's "hamhocks."

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm scared for Nog...he's awesome but he's always been rocked by heavy handed fighters.. (He just finds a way to come back and win all the time..)

But none of those heavy hands are Brock Lesnar's "hamhocks."
exactly, ive seen Nog rocked many times from striking and i cant help but think one or two or a few big punches from brock and with his killer instinct to maul you when youre hurt, i think he has a really good chance to beat nog. Hell couture can take a bigger shot than nog and he went down...

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
PP,

I dont think couture takes a bigger shot than Nog, however, Nog will have to be very careful. The ref will stop this very quickly especially b/c it is Lesnar, who is now going to be a UFC poster boy for years to come.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
PP,

I dont think couture takes a bigger shot than Nog, however, Nog will have to be very careful. The ref will stop this very quickly especially b/c it is Lesnar, who is now going to be a UFC poster boy for years to come.
you may be right, esp about the poster boy.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Dana is going to be samrt and market him through the roof right now, especially if he gets past Nog

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
exactly, ive seen Nog rocked many times from striking and i cant help but think one or two or a few big punches from brock and with his killer instinct to maul you when youre hurt, i think he has a really good chance to beat nog. Hell couture can take a bigger shot than nog and he went down...
Couture can take a bigger shot than Nog? Nog has one of the best chins in MMA, arguably second behind Hunt. He also has the most heart in the entire sport and the best MMA BJJ in the HW division. He is a bad matchup for Lesnar. Lesnar will probably hurt him, but he is likely to get overzealous and throw himself into a sub.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i believe it was the nog herring fight, nog didnt look like he could take a shot he was dazzed the whole time

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
i believe it was the nog herring fight, nog didnt look like he could take a shot he was dazzed the whole time
That is a testament to his chin. He ate a full force headkick that would have KO'd most. He still came back and won the fight.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is a testament to his chin. He ate a full force headkick that would have KO'd most. He still came back and won the fight.
In all respects to Nog, though, if Herring would have capitalized that fight would have been over.

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
In all respects to Nog, though, if Herring would have capitalized that fight would have been over.
True, but you gotta relate to Herring's thinking. Here is a guy who has subbed him before, and who is still dangerous as hell (on the ground) when he's hurt. Herring wanted a faster stand up by the ref in the hopes that he could finish the fight with strikes while Nog was still rocked badly.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
True, but you gotta relate to Herring's thinking. Here is a guy who has subbed him before, and who is still dangerous as hell (on the ground) when he's hurt. Herring wanted a faster stand up by the ref in the hopes that he could finish the fight with strikes while Nog was still rocked badly.
Nog's composure is phenomenal, but in my opinion, if Herring would have tried to G n' P from side-control (hopefully avoiding a sweep) I think that fight was over. That most likely was his rationale, though.