Johnny D goes to yanks for 4 years

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
Red Sox are gonna suck even worse this year!!!
:icon_lol:

bigblank69

Board Supporter
Awards
All I know for the first two years he was in Boston, the red sox overpaid Damon 7.5 Million a year. Suddenly he has two good years and he's worth 13 million? His pathetic throwing arm will be worse when he's 36. The "rockstar" will die in New York, he was nothing in Kansas City, nothing much in Oakland, and he'll be known as a flop for the Yankees, just like Giambi.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
He might not be the best centerfielder around but he's 10x better than the alternatives and considering what Bernie made the past few years and what he's done, the numbers sound about right. As far as the length of the contract, the red sox initial offer was also 4 yrs at only 3 mil a year less. If he wasn't worth it, sox brass would be bitching that johnny didn't give them a chance to top the yankees offer. Judging from the calls that have been coming in to fox sports last night and this morning and the articles in the Boston paper, they seem pretty upset that he's gone and especially to lose him to the yanks.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
He might not be the best centerfielder around but he's 10x better than the alternatives and considering what Bernie made the past few years and what he's done,
very true and honestly, Damon might be the perfect guy for the Yankees who lacked a speed leadoff hitter and stability in centerfield. There may be better power hitters but the Yankees don't have a shortage on the long ball. Damon might be the best leadoff hitter in the league, Ichiro included.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i think it's a great addition to the team; however, what they need more than anything right now is a better pitching lineup.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
What Baseball needs is a frickin' salary cap. Here come the Spanks (or should I say Steinbrenner) trying to buy another World Series. Vaginas.

gten79

Awards
Don't blame the Boss because he cares about winning. What we need is for these other greedy owners (Reds, Orioles, Indians) who do have the means to get better players to dig into their pockets and start spending the money they have. All they do is cry that they are broke when they sell each night in brand new stadiums. I feel sorry for there fans because they are the ones who suffer most.

And yes with Damon leading off the yanks have the best lineup in Major League Baseball. Now there pitching is aging and still has a few holes but those are being addressed as we speak. And as for the Red Sox they really blew this one with letting Damon get away. I'll have to agree with Belze he is the best leadoff man right now and he covers a lot of ground in center.

And Red Sox fans don't count on Josh Becket when he's on the DL come the middle of July. The numbers don't lie.

gten79

Awards
What Baseball needs is a frickin' salary cap. Here come the Spanks (or should I say Steinbrenner) trying to buy another World Series. Vaginas.
You can't buy World Series if anybody has proven that it has been the Yankees the last couple of years. We haven't won since 2000. That is when we started spending money to try to fill every position with an all-star. When they won from 96 to 01 they didn't have the highest payroll or half as many all-stars for that matter.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
don't worry about nate, he's been bitching about yanks since i've known him.

pour on the hateorade.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Damn right. Love em or hate em right. And I'm a Giants fan.

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You can't buy World Series if anybody has proven that it has been the Yankees the last couple of years. We haven't won since 2000. That is when we started spending money to try to fill every position with an all-star. When they won from 96 to 01 they didn't have the highest payroll or half as many all-stars for that matter.
Are you serious? They "Haven't won since 2000"? :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Not a 5 year drought!

gten79

Awards
For a Yankee fan it seems like an eternity. WE EXPECT TO WIN EVERY SEASON. 26 World Series aren't enough.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
My milk is getting warm, I think i'll put it near damons heart

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree with Beezle that the Yanks pitching is what needs the upgrade. I think Damon will help, but not to a point that is going to put them over the top.

Boston is still a better overall team IMO + the addition of Josh Beckett and possbily Milwood...altho losing Manny will suck.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Damon is a real nice addition but they should have gone after a solid starter IMO, you can't win without pitching. They did add Kyle Farnsworth to their bullpen though.

BTW, I think having a salary cap is pretty gay and borderline communist. The salary cap is the reason the 49ers fell from the top :smite:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Milwood is headed to Texas.. so I hear

akadnyce

akadnyce

Awards
They will no doubt score alot of runs with this lineup. Doesnt help when the opposing team scores even more runs then you because of bad pitching.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
everyone says they should have upgraded starting pitching but don't forget they brought in 5 starters last year (Unit, Wright, Pavano, Leiter, Chacon) in addition to the guys from the farm system (Wang, Small, Halsey). So as it stands now they have about 10 starting pitchers so where do you fit in another guy? You don't want to lose the young guys and you can't trade the old ones. Moose and Brown are up at the end of the year and thats $40 mil off the payroll, and they can use that money to fill the holes in the pitching staff.

Dietrying, Beckett is a nice addition to the BoSox staff but he also has health issues so the top of their staff now is about as injury prone as the Yanks but they don't have the same depth of starting pitching as the Yanks do. Remember last year down the stretch the Yanks lost 4 starters and were able to plug guys in and the Sox were not able to make up for their pitching injuries and it cost them the division. Add that to the guys they lost (Damon, Mueller, Renteria, maybe Manny) and I don't see how they're better overall.

manny182

Awards
everyone says they should have upgraded starting pitching but don't forget they brought in 5 starters last year (Unit, Wright, Pavano, Leiter, Chacon) in addition to the guys from the farm system (Wang, Small, Halsey). So as it stands now they have about 10 starting pitchers so where do you fit in another guy? You don't want to lose the young guys and you can't trade the old ones. Moose and Brown are up at the end of the year and thats $40 mil off the payroll, and they can use that money to fill the holes in the pitching staff.
halsey was traded to the diamondbacks in the randy johnson deal.

BEANTOWN B

Awards
looks like jesus throws like mary betrays like judas

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I dunno Co Co Crisp has similar numbers and he is younger better defensively and cost 10 million dollars less.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
The Yankees needed a center fielder and a lead off hitter. They killed two birds w/ one stone in Damon. And having a year under his belt, Johnson should perform better this season.