Ok haters... Yanks are back on top

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
What are some of your thoughts on where the Yankees will end their season? I'm not a huge Yankee fan, but I do like them (possibly just b/c everyone around me hates them so much I do it for spite... sad but true. :twisted: )

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established
Damn right they are!

Yanks are winning the World Series this year - it's as simple as that.

Now if only they could find someone to pitch....

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Boston and Baltimore are both excellent teams. We (the Yankees) recently won a series, taking 3 of 4, against the Sox, at home. The 86 year jinxs is over.

I like the competativeness of the AL East this year. But quite honestly the only reason that Boston and Baltimore are not 7 or more games out is because NY has had a poor performance so far this season. We are in 1st place with a poor pitching staff. If and when our pitching comes together it will be a runaway for the Yankees in the AL East.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Yankees winning the World Series. HAHAHAHA! If that isn't the funniest damn thing I've heard all week, all year for that matter. The Yankees win a few games and people think they have the Series locked up. Still doesn't change the fact that they still don't have a solid rotation or anyone in center field or that the average age of the team is almost 40. I really think this is the Cardinals year.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Yankees SUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucKSsssssSsssS!
Sage

BigP0ppa3

Awards
  • Established
Yankees winning the World Series. HAHAHAHA! If that isn't the funniest damn thing I've heard all week, all year for that matter. The Yankees win a few games and people think they have the Series locked up. Still doesn't change the fact that they still don't have a solid rotation or anyone in center field or that the average age of the team is almost 40. I really think this is the Cardinals year.
Cmon man - they didn't just win a few games - they've been hot for the last 20 games at least.

Besides - I'm a huge Yanks fan and would've said they had the series locked up 3 months ago!!! :icon_lol:

If they don't take it though I'd love to see the Cardinals win.

BP

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
...and they did it with only 2 healthy starters and a bunch of guys that not even yankees fans have ever heard of.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Sorry ass Yankees fans...I will enjoy watching your team crumble in October, literally...

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
hating the yankees is really a trendy thing guys, at this point there are more haters than fans. I'm an Orioles fan, and I got disgusted when all my friends started cheering for the Red Sox to beat the Yankees.

they seem to forget how many times the Red Sox slaughtered the Orioles as well.

This Yankees team has got to get tougher, they aren't good enough to win on skill alone despite the big names. Giambi, although currently playing well, is a shell of his former self. He is about as good as Kevin Millar or Mark Bellhorn honestly. The bullpen is overworked and average at best. I don't see them 'turning' it on in post season like the Lakers seemed to do. Even if they do, their pitching will fail them.

it is so annoying how ESPN 'experts' jump on and off the bandwagon. Arod hit 3 homeruns in one game back in May - that was the turning point of the season said Tim Kurchin. A week later Randy Johnson got lit up for 8runs in 3 innings, and Kurchin proclaimed how the Yankees weren't turning the corner.
3 Weeks later, Jeter made that catch diving over 2nd baseman Robinson Cano. Kurchin tells us this was the spark the Yankees needed to finally run away with the division. And then the Yankees lose 5 of their next 6.

I expect Kurchin to start jerking-off if Kevin Brown lasts more than 5 innings in his return.

I can't believe people actually get paid for their analysis - that includes everyone on baseball tonight this year.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
with that said, Andy Petitite, Javier Vazquez (kind of) and Roger Clemens are looking pretty good right now.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
if thinking about trading Gary Sheffield for Mike Cameron isn't a white flag - i don't know what is. But that was last weeks story.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
For the record, I have ALWAYS been a Yankee hater.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
and for the record, my first hat was a yankee hat given to me at 4 y/o. had mattingly's rookie card for many years and was quite pleased to see him return as a batting coach. dad has a mickey mantle rookie that he has no idea the worth, nor do i, i imagine rather high. i'm a born yankee fan, regardless if they win or lose.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
i believe you, but it has become trendy...
even as far as John Kerry is poor Boston, New York is Big Business Bush. ESPN positive that the Redsox meant a Kerry victory. so maybe of my liberal friends jumped on the Red Sox's wagon.

Redsox have the 2nd largest payroll, it was in pitchers a largely last season. And Nomar and elsewhere.

sadly, Mike Mussina makes more than Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, Curt Schiling, Ben Sheets, and Roy Halladay.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
upwards of $52,000 i believe, thats a lot of Testosterone...

and for the record, my first hat was a yankee hat given to me at 4 y/o. had mattingly's rookie card for many years and was quite pleased to see him return as a batting coach. dad has a mickey mantle rookie that he has no idea the worth, nor do i, i imagine rather high. i'm a born yankee fan, regardless if they win or lose.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
What cracks me up is the Devil Rays have owned the Yanks this year despite the almost 175 million difference in team salary.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
The D-Rays play harder, and when the Yankees pitching is working - they are completely out of games.

Tampa is a sad story. The owner cuts payroll every year and the people absolutely hate him. They are getting new ownership shortly.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
eh, i couldn't sell it if i had to. to me, it's priceless.
i totally agree, it would be sold for far more than it's currently worth too.

I had a brother (he died of cancer) in his 30s. Big old-school yankees fan. He wanted nothing more than to be sitting at a bus stop and some guy come up to him and give him the Mantle Card. That single card is worth the most of any 'not completely rare baseball card I believe. Even though Ted Williams is regarded as a better player - and Ruth more popular.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
baseball cards have completely lost their 'mystique' today with the mass production of glossy, holograms and airbrushed additions.

The Jordan, Gretzky, Arod, KGriffey (upperdeck), and Bonds rookie will never be worth much as that card. Obviously being they are not as rare... but they aren't a collectors items anymore... way too expensive for kids to buy

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i would have thought babe ruth to be more valuable. that was back when the cards were half normal size.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
im pretty sure its the mantle card, but I haven't looked at a price guide since the early 90s.

there is some card from the 1910s era "hack wilson?" (maybe his was later) that is worth like 200,000.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
im pretty sure its the mantle card, but I haven't looked at a price guide since the early 90s.

there is some card from the 1910s era "hack wilson?" (maybe his was later) that is worth like 200,000.
Last I knew the Honus Wagner card was still worth the most. Not sure on how much it is worth... I know it was $250,000+ back when I was a big card collector (10+ years ago).

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Honus Wagner, that's it - knew it started with an 'h'

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
The reason cards of the past are so valuable is because kids of the past didn't buy/collect them for their value. These cards were traded (like marbles, etc.) and put into bicycle spokes to make clicking sounds as you rode around your street.

BTW - The Wagner card was not one the was had from a bubble-gum pack (like most of the Mantle cards, etc.) but from a cigar package/box. My dad has some of those cigar baseball cards (not Wagner though... LOL) and lots of the bubble-gum ones.

Nowadays, if you put bubble-gum in with baseball cards kids would be like, "What are you doing? That gum will cause a residue on the hologram!"

:)

BTW - As of this morning, Yanks are back in 2nd... behind the Sox. Probably need to win the AL East before you get that World Series locked up.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
been a yankee fan since i was 7,and my grandfather would let me sit with him and explain the game to me...............