BASEBALL 2005!! Predictions, general chat..

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This is the greatest time of year for us baseball fans. I was wondering what some of you guys thoughts were going into the season. Heres how I see things going..

My Team predictions:
Yankees winning 110 regular season games and beating the Cardinals in the WS. Boston is beat out by Chicago White Sox for AL wild card.
AL East- Yankees
AL Central- Minnesota
AL West- Angels
AL WC- White Sox

NL East- Marlins
NL Central- Cards
NL West- All depends on Barry Bonds
NL WC- Braves

Player predictions:
Ichiro hits .400. Randy Johnson wins 23 games and the AL Cy Young. Miguel Cabrera comes out of the gates as the best hitter in the NL and wins the MVP. The Cubs will miss Sosa and Alou, and the Mariners will realize that they paid WAY to much for Adrian Beltre...

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
This is the greatest time of year for us baseball fans. I was wondering what some of you guys thoughts were going into the season. Heres how I see things going..

My Team predictions:
Yankees winning 110 regular season games and beating the Cardinals in the WS. Boston is beat out by Chicago White Sox for AL wild card.

Player predictions:
Ichiro hits .400. Randy Johnson wins 23 games and the AL Cy Young. Miguel Cabrera comes out of the gates as the best hitter in the NL and wins the MVP. The Cubs will miss Sosa and Alou, and the Mariners will realize that they paid WAY to much for Adrian Beltre...
Great predictions, especially Yanks winning series and Unit's Cy Young :D .Ichiro will hit .400 or come pretty damn close. With Bonds out of the way, Pujols finally wins MVP. Don't know about the AL, I'd say Manny or Vlad but I think Arod is on a mission and will have a huge year. Unit wins Cy Young and Mulder wins in NL despite big year by Smoltz. Pedro will realize pretty early on that he's not in Boston anymore after he has a few bad starts and the fans and media turn on him (can't wait). Andy Petitte will spend most of the year on the DL again and the Rocket finally shows his age (yes, i'm still bitter). LA has a horrible season and Cleveland has a suprisingly good year. Braves, Cards and Padres win their divisions (Bond doesn't come back this year, Sf gets WC). Yanks, Chisox and Angels win AL divisions with Bosox getting WC. Cards over Angels in WS if Yanks have injury problems with their rotation again, if not, Yanks over Cards.

bigGUNS04

Awards
St louis Cards going for the WS again only this time winning it.... Larry Walker- 30 homers Jim Edmonds- 40 Homers Albert Pujols- 40 possibly 50( his first season hitting 50). Mark Muhlder h/e u spell his name- 18 + wins...its going to be another exciting season for the redbirds

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
simple as this, minnesota twins all the way. Come on, this year is it! :)

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Ben Sheets Cy Young, I guess you know who im looking at in fantasy baseball

I like the Rangers and Indians (and Orioles) to make some noise in the AL. All 3 teams need to show they can pitch. All 3 teams, sleepers - not neccessarily contenders. Oakland As fall off seriously in the AL West.

The Padres, in the NL look pretty good. I love Jake Peavy (2.33ERA?) and Woody Williams if he can stay healthy. Qual-comm is the ultimate pitchers park, the polar opposite of Coors. The Padres will win a lot of close games - Hoffman 50 saves. Scott Lebrink is great out of the bullpen.

The pride of the NL is still the Cardinals and Braves. I'm giving the edge to the Cardinals - but I think Tim Hudson and John Smoltz will win 38 or 40 between them. Braves have a great little known closer in Danny Kolb. <--- you would know him if you played fantasy baseball last year.

Last edited:
CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
a lot of talent on this team. Good team overall.
Torii Hunter, however, I think is the most overrated player in baseball.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
the Mariners will realize that they paid WAY to much for Adrian Beltre...
and Sexson I think. If Beltre isn't a juice monkey anymore expect him to hit 20-25 homeruns and strike out 120times.
Bret Boone will hit .245, 14Hr, and 150strikeouts.
They will need to ask Edgar Martinez to come back!

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I hope Steve Finley wins MVP.
But thats probably not happening :(

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
Isn't Lohse hurt already? I cant see them taking the division with just one pitcher. Chicago loaded up and if Contreras pitches like he has the potential to (he should without having the pressure of pitching in NY), they have at least 4 solid guys in their rotation.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My thoughts on some of your replies...

I agree that the Mariners offense (other than Ichiro) will struggle.

The Twins are a solid team, but I agree that the speedy White Sox will be a lot of fun to watch..espcially if Carl Everett and Frank Thomas can hit for some power. The AL Central will be interesting because all the teams (besides KC) got better this offseason.

Two teams with GREAT hitting but NO pitching..Orioles, Rangers

Sheets won't win a Cy Young just because he won't win enough games with the run support of the Brewers. Kolb is very good but IMO he could be a risk b/c he gets almost no strikeouts.

I still love my Marlins.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
The Tigers actually have a formadible lineup.
Ivan 'pudge' Rodriguez has lost 23-25lbs. He's 192 now. He hasn't really been a power hitter for years, so his production wont fall off - but it still makes you wonder...

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Isn't Lohse hurt already? I cant see them taking the division with just one pitcher. Chicago loaded up and if Contreras pitches like he has the potential to (he should without having the pressure of pitching in NY), they have at least 4 solid guys in their rotation.
There are still solid pitchers, santana obviously, brad radke, joe nathan, joe mays, (have't heard about lohse being hurt). They are a pretty solid right now, in my mind at least.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
AL West: Anaheim or Los Angeles whatever they are now
AL Central: Cleveland
AL East: New York
AL Wild Card: Boston

NL West: San Francisco
NL Central: St. Louis
NL East: Atlanta
NL Wild Card: San Diego

World Serie: Yankees over Cards, as much as I hate the Yanks, they are the most solid team IMO

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
yah Padres! wildcard and pull an upset in the first round. But will get crushed in the 2nd round.

mgeorge

Awards
Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!
Our twins are gonna finally stick it to the Yankees this year I know it!
All we have to do is get Johan Santana some IGF and HG and we can pitch him every day!
Joe Mauer will be the MVP of the league, he's gonna double the production of the Yankees catcher, won't even mention his name because I hate him so......and can't remember at the moment

As far as Hunter being overrated, I disagree. He needs to pick it up in the power category, however, he is a phenom in the field and a good hitter. The twins have never had a real true power/homer hitter since Killabrew. We like people like Puckett who get a lot of hits and field like a star.
MGeorge

mgeorge

Awards
I agree that the Mariners offense (other than Ichiro) will struggle.

The Twins are a solid team, but I agree that the speedy White Sox will be a lot of fun to watch..espcially if Carl Everett and Frank Thomas can hit for some power. The AL Central will be interesting because all the teams (besides KC) got better this offseason.

Two teams with GREAT hitting but NO pitching..Orioles, Rangers

Sheets won't win a Cy Young just because he won't win enough games with the run support of the Brewers. Kolb is very good but IMO he could be a risk b/c he gets almost no strikeouts.

I still love my Marlins.
I don't think Frank Thomas is gonna hit for power anymore.
AGE + DRUG TESTS = BONDS "HURT" AND THOMAS JUST OLD

MGeorge

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I know it's early but....GOD DAMN IT'S GREAT TO SEE THE YANKEES IN THE CELLAR! 200 million dollars what! On a disapointing note, the Dodgers are off to their best start in 50 years. Buuuuut, they still suck.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
who is the worst team in the league:
consider,
Colarado Rockies
Pittsburgh Pirates
Kansas City Royals
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
Milwaukee Brewers
Toronto Blue Jays (good start so far)
Washington Nationals (I dont think so! world series bound)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
who is the worst team in the league:
consider,
Colarado Rockies
Pittsburgh Pirates
Kansas City Royals
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
Milwaukee Brewers
Toronto Blue Jays (good start so far)
Washington Nationals (I dont think so! world series bound)
The Yankees maybe? J/k Couldn't resist. They'll probably end up winning the division as much as I hate to say it. Their team chemistry has always been suspect to me though. I still don't see them winning the Series despite the long list of high priced stars.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
I know it's early but....GOD DAMN IT'S GREAT TO SEE THE YANKEES IN THE CELLAR! 200 million dollars what! On a disapointing note, the Dodgers are off to their best start in 50 years. Buuuuut, they still suck.
I was waiting for this. I figured it would be a Sox fan that said it. I'm not gonna worry about it til around the All star break. Thats usually when they start to pull away from the rest of the division.

Washington isn't looking too shabby. It wouldn't suprise me if they didnt have the worst record in the majors (Pittsburgh will. McClendon is a horrible manager and they don't have much in the way of talent)

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I was waiting for this. I figured it would be a Sox fan that said it. I'm not gonna worry about it til around the All star break. Thats usually when they start to pull away from the rest of the division.

Washington isn't looking too shabby. It wouldn't suprise me if they didnt have the worst record in the majors (Pittsburgh will. McClendon is a horrible manager and they don't have much in the way of talent)
I hate the Yankees like I hate the Lakers (it's great to see them fail too). The Rockies are pretty horrible. I'm glad the Giants are in the same division. That's quite a few extra wins when they play. That'll make up for all the losses to the Dodgers. :frustrate

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
The Yankees maybe? J/k Couldn't resist. They'll probably end up winning the division as much as I hate to say it. Their team chemistry has always been suspect to me though. I still don't see them winning the Series despite the long list of high priced stars.
The chemistry is suspect because they don't have any and haven't had it since the days of Paul O'neill, Tino, Girardi, Brosius and that whole bunch. They didn't have much power but they were scrappy as hell and played hard for each other ( I think thats where Jeter gets it from and notice he's really the only one on that team that still plays that way) That team actually played together for awhile before they went on that run of championships. Now its just a revolving door of superstars and the team never gets a chance to gel.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Kevin Brown was awful today.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
The chemistry is suspect because they don't have any and haven't had it since the days of Paul O'neill, Tino, Girardi, Brosius and that whole bunch. They didn't have much power but they were scarppy as hell and played hard for each other ( I think thats where Jeter gets it from and notice he's really the only one on that team that still plays that way) That team actually played together for awhile before they went on that run of championships. Now its just a revolving door of superstars and the team never gets a chance to gel.
I agree. It's obvious that Steinbrennar (sp?) tries to buy a Championship every off season. Although, I gotta say it, but look at the Giants every offseason. Brian Sabien is guaranteed to make several moves during the offseason (with less than half of the Yankees payroll might I add) and yet the team still seems to win the division or at least get a wild card birth season after season. I mean the Giants literally have a new look every season. On the other hand, all of these trades and deals have taken a toll on their farm system. Their minor leauge teams are so watered down that they really don't have any great young talent.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Bonds brings people to Pac-Bell
Wins brings people to Yankee Stadium

seriously Randy Johnson didn't sell any more seats, it's all about winning. Of course Johnson can help them win, but to the Yankees fans it's simply winning not Johnson (or any other player for that matter).

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
You a Rockies fan D? I noticed you changed your team name to the Colorado Rockies(TM). If they are your team...I'm sorry. :lol:

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The Yanks are to good to go through a bad season. They'll be just fine IMO. I do, however, really like the Orioles lineup. Brian Roberts is turning out to be very solid at 2nd. The AL East and NL East will be awesome to watch!

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
On the other hand, all of these trades and deals have taken a toll on their farm system. Their minor leauge teams are so watered down that they really don't have any great young talent.
Thats the other problem with the Yanks. Those Championship teams had a good young core that all came out of the Yanks farm system (Jeter, Bernie, Rivera, Petitte etc.) but now there's nothing left. The best minor leaguer now is in AA and he's not that great. I can't wait to see what the total payroll is gonna be when the have to re-sign Matsui at the end of the year and pay luxury tax on top of it. Then again, George is paying 800 mil for the new stadium out of his pocket so he's probably not too worried about it.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
You a Rockies fan D? I noticed you changed your team name to the Colorado Rockies(TM). If they are your team...I'm sorry. :lol:
Nah I just had Helton, Wilson, Barmes, and Holliday. Coors Factor. They suck though.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I still say my Marlins will come out on top in the end. Burnett has been my pick for Cy Young for 3 months and I'm sticking with that.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Anybody watching the Phillies???

Past three games, counting tonight, their starters were spectacular, outpitching the Braves to take two of three. Any time you can outpitch Mike Hampton you deserve to win, even if it does take extra innings. When Thome starts to hit, watch out. Three big hitters in Abreu, Burrell, and Thome.

Can't really judge until the All-Star break, but I see the Nationals and the Mets falling aside and making the NL East a battle between the Marlins, Braves, and Phils. Should be a great year.

My picks:
AL West: LA Angels
AL Central: Minnesota
AL East: New York
AL Wild Card: Boston

NL West: LA Dodgers
NL Central: St. Louis
NL East: Philadelphia
NL Wild Card: Braves

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Anyone who doesn't pick the Braves to win the East is NUTS, end of story. You have no comeback about such and such is improving, this and that... Braves win that division, game over.

As far as the Twins, they have no offense, they can't hit. Plus, you just can't rely too heavily on on rookies and 2nd year players. Second year players tend to dive and struggle because the scouting report is finally out on them.

Twins fans, don't look for Lew Ford or Justin Morneau to do that much. I'm sry, neither are the players you think or hope they're going to be. Mauer is still quite aways from being a 3 hitter as well.

Can't win without SOME offense and it's going to be apparent that the Twins can't win every game 2-1 this year. That being said, they'll still be solid. White Sox win the division this year.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Anyone who doesn't pick the Braves to win the East is NUTS, end of story. You have no comeback about such and such is improving, this and that... Braves win that division, game over.
I guess I'm nuts. Yes, I'm a Marlins fan, but I really don't see anybody beating them in the East. The Braves have Hudson, Smoltz and Hampton, and thats about it IMO. Their offense is very average and Kolb is shaky. After Chipper and Andruw there isn't much to worry about. Giles, Mondesi, and Furcal are DECENT and can help if they can all stay healthy.

Burnett, Beckett, Willis...pick one and theres your Cy Young

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Oh definately, man, you bring up GREAT points. And, yes, the logical mind can certainly do that.

Problem is, the Marlins do NOT have Bobby Cox. He does the amazing every year with a variety of talent. Last year was something I couldn't even imagine. I thought there was no reason the Braves would do anything. I figured they were done for sure. With that club, maybe they'll be .500 or slightly above....

People have clamored for the Braves demise for year, and many times I've said, "yep, this is it..." but Bobby Cox is the difference. The guy is flat out a genius and he gets everything he can out of his players. They love him, they do things for him that they'll never do again. It's crazy man... I expect Mondesi and Jordan, like JD Drew before them, to be gems.

We'll see, but to be against Bobby Cox, i mean, the Braves, is not a good move.

I guess I'm nuts. Yes, I'm a Marlins fan, but I really don't see anybody beating them in the East. The Braves have Hudson, Smoltz and Hampton, and thats about it IMO. Their offense is very average and Kolb is shaky. After Chipper and Andruw there isn't much to worry about. Giles, Mondesi, and Furcal are DECENT and can help if they can all stay healthy.

Burnett, Beckett, Willis...pick one and theres your Cy Young

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oh definately, man, you bring up GREAT points. And, yes, the logical mind can certainly do that.

Problem is, the Marlins do NOT have Bobby Cox. He does the amazing every year with a variety of talent. Last year was something I couldn't even imagine. I thought there was no reason the Braves would do anything. I figured they were done for sure. With that club, maybe they'll be .500 or slightly above....

People have clamored for the Braves demise for year, and many times I've said, "yep, this is it..." but Bobby Cox is the difference. The guy is flat out a genius and he gets everything he can out of his players. They love him, they do things for him that they'll never do again. It's crazy man... I expect Mondesi and Jordan, like JD Drew before them, to be gems.

We'll see, but to be against Bobby Cox, i mean, the Braves, is not a good move.
AGREED..but I do think this is the year :lol:

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Florida is strong, somehow they get it done without big name coaches. I give a slight edge to the Braves this year however.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guess there are not a bunch of Philly fans here, but I still say they are the team to beat. Jon Leiber is definitely putting himself in the running for the NL Cy Young, he's 4-0 so far. The Phils are winning and Thome is still not hitting. Once his bat wakes up, they will take off. Then Atlanta's streak will be done at unlucky 13 years.

bigGUNS04

Awards
Im sticking with my Cards, .......
Royals will be the worst team in baseball this year, IMO

CrAzyOttER

Banned
Awards
i know they are off to a really bad start but i still have to say the yanks will be in it to the end. this is the first year that people are not calling me a front runner for being a yankees fan.

CrAzyOttER

Banned
Awards
i know they are off to a really bad start but i still have to say the yanks will be in it to the end. this is the first year that people are not calling me a front runner for being a yankees fan.

guitarjunkie420

Board Supporter
Awards
if the orioles keep playing as good as they have been the yanks wont be in the playoffs, i predict the sox winning it all again and the orioles get the wild card

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
if the orioles keep playing as good as they have been the yanks wont be in the playoffs, i predict the sox winning it all again and the orioles get the wild card
I like that senario. I do have to say there is some good baseball being played right now, along with some awful.

asap nutrition

Awards
  • Established
I gave these on another board and I was ripped for it. I don't care so here goes:

NL east champs:Braves
NL Central champs:Stl Cardinals
NL West Champs:San Diego Padres(or maybe Giants)

AL East champs:Boston
AL Central Champs:Cleveland Indians(look how wrong I am so far)
AL West champs:Seattle Mariners(I still think they will win the west)

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would hate to see this thread die before the All Star break because of bad predictions. Hey, I picked the Yankees too. However, I am still riding on that Phillies bandwagon. The NL East is plain awesome to watch this year, so many teams clumped together in the standings because they have all played good at one time or another. Right now it's the Phils and Nationals running away a little. I still think the Phils are in a good spot right now, going on the road to play two sub 500 teams and Thome is starting to swing well. Guess we'll see how this plays out, but a great year so far.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
So it's the All-Star break... how are everyone's predictions so far?

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Well, I didn't put predictions up in this thread, other than saying the White Sox would take the Central. That and the Braves would win the East. I'm fairly confident both of those will take shape. Braves may be a touch out, but they're doing it without Chipper and their 3 of their 5 starting pitchers gone. I'm feeling good about their chances. Still, it's awesome to see the Nationals up there and playing great baseball.

HAHAH Yankee fans... oh wait, they're only 2.5 out... sonofabitch, will they go away already!!!!!

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Ha. I never posted my predictions... wasn't aware of the site at the time... but I'm a die hard Cards fan so.

I will say I think the Yanks will pull it out and will be contenders, the Orioles will fall, the White Sox will stay strong, the Braves will recover, Cards in the central, SF if Bonds can makes it back (leadership quality) and in the AL west ??? haven't kept up w/ it.